7/12/2019 - 7/14/2019

giphy.gif

Me vs My Stuff

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Within: Samurai Don't Complain (in fitness or in the meeting room)

Did gud.

Without: Giri

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean kitchen counters

Clean fridge

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

** Removed "Clean tub" as the tub does not in fact need cleaning **

Courage

Within: Crying in the Dojo

Technique Review - 4/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 1/5

Without: Keep heizen and carry on

Locate Document Shredding Company

Shop for better Shredder

Get Rid of Old Tiny Shredder

Benevolence

Within and Without: Love

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 4/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Within: Rēsetsu

Too Many Curses - 7

Without: Do 

Drawing Japanese Characters - 2/5

Honesty

Within: Shinjitsu for Me

I'm working on a plan to balance books with the entirety of the rest of my life. It's very tentative. And requires some restraint--God save us all.

Without: Matomo for Thee

Say (Only) What You Mean - 13/35

Honor

Within: Sotsugyu Already

Update resume (again)

Without: Battle With Meiyo and Humanity

Clean out office closet

Clean out under-bed clothing storage 

Double-check the hanging clothes for things that can be put up/given away

So gym has been going well in spite of my sleep being at best roughly half the recommended hours. I'm working hard to eliminate all the 300s and adopt a lower expectation going into the 400s. The magic has been somewhat prolonged by discovering a book that didn't make it into the list somehow that's 300 pages and the realization that actual total pages - actual starting page number on one of the books I had pulled (shortest hardback I own...) put it in the 300 range, coincidentally. I'm at 4 books to go. Then only 20-odd 400 page books to go, lol. 3/week should drop pace to 2/week and see if it's tenable for lifestyle. 

Justice, Politeness, and Honesty are on point. Courage and and Benevolence are a bit behind, and Honor is hanging in at neutral. The big accomplishments for the weekend were getting some cleaning done, drawing a kanji, buying new shredder online/positioning old shredder for donation, and cooking brisket + homemade gravy all by myself around finishing a book on Friday (Snuff), reading a whole book on Saturday (Life in the English Country House) , and spending a good deal of quality time on a third book (Fortress of Ice) on Sunday. Which made me want to reread all of Cherryh's books. Which I cannot do. Not for a good long while, anyhow--they're not exactly novellas. I do have a goal of updating all page counts on the sheet because something I did in the past buggered up the numbers somewhat, and when I inventoried everything I owned originally I didn't give page counts to books I'd already read at the time. Hopefully auditing page counts won't show a bunch more 300s lingering on the shelf--I don't think so based on eyeballing it, but been wrong before, so. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Yay for making progress on your reading list!

It does make me feel good....until I just noticed that if I update my list to include only what I currently have in my possession (as opposed to the scads of books I just got rid of that had been hiding under the guest bed for years...I was once of the mind to track all media consumed, but that doesn't serve my purpose anymore).....yeah the numbers are going to skew just a bit.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

7/15/2019 + 7/16/2019

giphy.gif

This is fine

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Easy given I skipped the dojo and Tuesday standup.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 4/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 2/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 5/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 9

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 15/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Well this has been a month so far. I didn't go to the dojo on Monday because CBF with substitute-sensei All the Drills That Make You Feel Like a Toddler with Developmental Disabilities. Not even gonna lie. Here, do these random things you'll not be drilled again inside of 6 months at best. Or stay home and prioritize other stuff for that day. Apparently the universe was like nah girl, because that dumptruck carrying rocks came into my life, or more specifically my windshield's life. Good thing I was planning to work from home on Tuesday anyway. Goodbye $500, goodbye. Right before the Safelite guy showed up, my laptop fan started churning like it wanted to challenge me to a street race tho the machine was not running hot in the slightest. So between the windshield, the contact lenses we both need, and the laptop it's been a month. I did in fact curse a couple of times, once from fear and surprise at  having a dollar coin sized rock bounce up at face level and once from the profound anger/frustration at how avoidable it could have been.

On the plus side, finished Fortress of Ice, which could be accurately summed as "The Epilogue: The Book." Everyone had a huge--one might even say royal--case of the Dumb (where running away really fast before anyone knows what's up is remarked as "clever"...three times. Three) in order for things to happen as they did, also there was not nearly enough Tristen in it. In short, it was totally unnecessary to have existed. At the same time, it maintains itself as inoffensive as possible in light of the aforementioned annoyances, so I'm not outright angry at it. I did consider stopping, but after you're 300 pages in....in for a penny at that point, you know?

I'm also halfway through Acorna, which is the textbook definition of "breezy" and "fluff." Don't expect much, and it'll all be good. It's an Anne McCaffrey book. It won't hurt your brain, but it won't exactly change your relationship with the printed word, either. This particular one is a book about a space unicorn girl freeing asteroid miner child (miner minors, if you will) (and in some cases, sex) slaves. Okay maybe it'll give your brain a good tweak if you can't but take your sci-fi seriously. It has the equivalent of "Youbastard" in the form of Middle-Eastern inspired curses, which are the best curses and a great joy to behold in case you weren't aware. And no, not just because they both had their origins in a similar geographic region--two reasons. One, it's likely to be the thing I remember most from the book, and two it effectively depicts a Mood that the characters have, which gives them the most life they've had thus far.

Once I finish Acorna, it's just one 300-pager left to go, that I know of. I was going to review some of the page counts on the shelf today, buuut then the laptop thing happened and I copied my list onto Google Sheets in case it's a more devastating issue than a wiggly fan mounting. Decided to hold off and just review some books instead. Pulled a handful--4-6 or so--off the shelf, which was neato. Put a whole bunch back on, because there was a few books I'd pulled out from under the bed that I wasn't sure about whether I wanted to keep them so I put them in the guest closet. Well I pulled them out of there, reviewed them, and the ones I decided to keep went back on the shelf. A keepsake clock-radio belonging to hubs went back in its box, halving the space consumed by clock and box--notable in that the clock was formerly living in the office closet. Did two loads of laundry. Guys, I'm now sitting at 87 unread books. 83% completion after having done my best to cherrypick out the titles I donated, but I'll only know for sure going book by book. 

• Like 2

7/17/2019

giphy.gif

The Unsafety Dance

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I think I managed to do pretty well today.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 4/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 2/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 5/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 10

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 16/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Gym time was kinda hard. 5s week is never fun, so I'm not surprised. Cursed (aloud) once today. Dojo was jiu waza practice, which did not feel terribly awkward. About what you can ask for there, right? Finished Acorna at the expense of Aikido technique review. Why? Because now there is only one 300-pager remaining now. Just. One. More.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, Urgan said:

Guys, I'm now sitting at 87 unread books. 83% completion after having done my best to cherrypick out the titles I donated, but I'll only know for sure going book by book.

Yay for plowing through the books!

I have read and re-read a lot of Anne McCaffrey books. More the Dragon ones than the SF. Nice fluffy summer reading. That said, your review does not make me want to go out and pick up Acorna.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

4 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have read and re-read a lot of Anne McCaffrey books. More the Dragon ones than the SF. Nice fluffy summer reading. That said, your review does not make me want to go out and pick up Acorna.

The Ship Who Sang was the most entertaining thing I've read of hers, the premise alone was enough to get through the book and it was short so it didn't overstay its welcome. I've read a few of the Dragonriders series but it never really worked for me. Inoffensive and yet not substantial? Acorna is a Saturday morning cartoon with references to child sex slavery. Which is kind of an odd contrast, if I do say so. Nothing bad is even convincingly possible to happen to anyone, just the looming shadow of a monster that turns out to be a bunny rabbit (or a really, REALLY incompetent suicide bomber....). I don't mind books where no one ends up needing therapy or even a burial plot at the end, it's just, well...comical how it was done here. Granted it may "get better" in later books, but life is short. Another thing that bothered me is characters just picked life partners like they were at a dance and oh look, there's a dude over there. No development whatsoever. Just indicating someone noticed the other person is the opposite gender (This was implied, not literal...literally doing so would require more time than they spent on the subject of characters/relationships that did not involve Acorna being a tall skinny alien who exists) is not sufficient grounds for a change of life plans. Maybe try mentioning what about the other character appeals to them? I dunno, just thinking aloud.

• Like 1

7/18/2019

giphy.gif

Spending a month getting an average of 4.5 hours' sleep for a month and not imploding....yet

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Kinda borderline here because some people have had PTO and getting things deployed has been quite the spectacle, shall we say.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 5/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 2/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 6/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 10

Honesty

Having a fistfight with unreasonable desires to have books read that cannot be read any faster than they are presently. Stupid need for steady income forcing me to eventually get more than 4 hours of sleep at least a few nights a week.

Say (Only) What You Mean - 17/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

The shredder came in yesterday. Maybe sometime this life I will unbox it. The idea of dealing with plastic wrap or styrofoam does not amuse me ATM. But I am interested in seeing how it stacks up against the old tiny one. 

The tricky thing about practicing Aikido techniques is it's been juuuuust long enough since I've done anything useful that most techniques are foggy. This is a problem with your laptop is in repair and you don't have (easy) access to videos. The fan needs replacing, which puts it coming back to me between Monday and Tuesday next week, so I'm not interested in digging them out of backup and putting them on the old laptop. #yeahimlazydealwithit Friday is black belt club, so yay that? Will I pass out before I get there? Who Knows.

Spent some time reading on my Fraud text, which was slower going than I liked--1 page/2 minutes was not a good rate. Oh well, I'll make it happen tomorrow night somehow.

7/19/2019 - 7/21/2019

giphy.gif

We are the champions...of almost sensible bedtimes

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I did complain a bit, due to erratic deploy schedules earlier in the week, to the guy who normally handles such because HOW I MISSED HIM.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 5/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 2/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 10

Drawing Japanese Characters - 3/5

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 20/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Phoned it in in the gym, finished the Fraud book, did the iaido practice, PR'd my squat 5RM by 1lb, did some deadlift work, endured a jackarse who definitely violated some kind of etiquette by just taking over the squat rack space without so much as a by-your-leave, kicked 2 books off the island for violating the royal mess out of "show don't tell" (FYI the offenders were The First King of Shannara--Terry Brooks--and The Scar--the Dyachenkos), and began the process of inhaling Rider at the Gate (C.J. Cherryh), which is as pure a sci-fi western as possible and it is amazing as all things Cherryh writes are. I got ten pages into Shannara before feeling like I was reading a bad paraphrase of the lattermost part of The Silmarillion that was forced to down a bottle of Miralax. You know, the part where it explains how Sauron went from black-clad Evil Dude to Flaming Eye in the Sky? If you don't mind rereading a bad version of LoTR, go for it. The Scar had just. too. much. passive. description. when you could have just, you know, did the thing and proved it out with actions? I don't know if it's a victim of translation or what. Anyway, so very glad to hard pass those for Rider I cannot put it in words because Rider is awesome. Confusing at first, but it's obviously intentional because of the chaos of emotions the town is going through, the narration follows that theme. It works, IMHO. This makes 84% completion, 74 books to go.

Sunday was laundry, dinner, cleaning the bathroom, massive amounts of reading and napping. Got in bed a whole half hour "early" to boot.

• Like 2

7/22/2019

giphy.gif

Actual footage of dojo time

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Oh the complaining.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 6/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 2/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 11

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 21/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

PR'd bench at 110lbs and OHP for 83lbs, each singles of course. Survived work and the idiots therein. Cursed about said idiots after work. Did ryotedori (?) kokyunage, all four versions, and was gratified to know I didn't have to learn them all from scratch. Read a whole lot. The end.

• Like 2

7/23/2019

giphy.gif

Only a matter of time before I'm deciding at what point to maintain an unread list...

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I was good today, surprisingly.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 6/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 3/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 7/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 11

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 21/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

I got my laptop back from the shop and it indeed appears to be working as one would expect. We shall see if this lasts. Dinner was easy to get done in time for the person in the house to eat it whenever, that person being just me. Husband went to a concert--who goes to a concert on a weeknight? Lunatics do, I maintain. Anyway, had the house to myself so I did dinner, weapons review, and finished up Rider at the Gate. It was very good, wished it'd ended a bit differently, but then the followup Cloud's Rider picks up right where Rider leaves off, so. Minimal complaining that two characters didn't interact any more than they did. 73 books and counting. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention late at night I developed a burning need for pancakes, which ironically we had in the freezer but wheat and dairy. It was tragic.

• Sad 1

7/24/2019

giphy.gif

Nope, too many meetings

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Somehow?

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 7/10

Iaido Review - 1/5

Buki Waza Review - 3/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 7/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 11

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 22/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Moving 205lb squats in the morning is a somewhat big deal in that it breaks down some barriers to more useful numbers. We had the meeting trilogy that were barely endurable largely because the last one fell square in the middle of my typical lunch time and had no application for me. So that was pretty difficult to deal with in a way unlike a starving feral child. Not a lot to do today and a lot of time to kill. Mom humored my random need for pancakes with a wheat-less variant that wasn't...terrible? It was very mild and really had to be eaten super warm or else it went a little grainy. With maple syrup you could scarcely taste the difference. Did a pair of brand new techniques whose names I forget and reviewed Monday's lesson quite thoroughly. After class I got the suspicion that a 24" blade might actually be the right length for me. Sensei's going to cut down a 26" bokken for us to play with and see if the difference is insurmountable or not. Went home and "tortured" husband with grabbing my elbow and letting me see all the ways I could think of to deal with that. Because I was 30 minutes late getting home that really put a crimp in what was able to be accomplished before bedtime, which wasn't exactly at the best time really anyhow. 

The meetings sound aggravating. Good for you for not chewing on anyone.

Pancakes are often made with buckwheat. Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat at all, it is in the smartweed family (Polygonaceae). Lots of pancake mixes have both wheat and buckwheat flour, so you have to be careful. Maybe buckwheat flour with sweet potatos?

Level 76  Viking paladin

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

The meetings sound aggravating. Good for you for not chewing on anyone.

It was difficult, given I was so very hungry.

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

I've heard that Sweet Potatoes can make a good base for that kind of thing, and the hipster Southern Cuisine restaurant I went to with my folks last weekend apparently did them as A Thing. I dunno if that would line up with your tastes or not, but may be a line of inquiry?

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Pancakes are often made with buckwheat. Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat at all, it is in the smartweed family (Polygonaceae). Lots of pancake mixes have both wheat and buckwheat flour, so you have to be careful. Maybe buckwheat flour with sweet potatos?

If I'm obliterating potato to small bits, then I'll make hashbrowns lol. Unfortunately I am not nearly inspired enough to do so. I had thought buckwheat was a problem food, but apparently not. Huh.

• Like 1

7/25/2019

giphy.gif

Tears

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

This is the sound of almost complete silence.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Courage

Technique Review - 7/10

Iaido Review - 2/5

Buki Waza Review - 3/5

Benevolence

Dad Training - 0/5

9:00 Dinner - 8/10

Cat grooming - 3/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 11

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 23/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Thursday was physically painful. I did iaido and made food and read. 

7/26/2019 - 7/28/2019

giphy.gif

Me x 225lb Squat

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Okie.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Courage

Technique Review - 7/10

Iaido Review - 2/5

Buki Waza Review - 3/5

Benevolence

9:00 Dinner - 8/10

Cat grooming - 4/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 15

Drawing Japanese Characters - 4/5

Honesty

-

Say (Only) What You Mean - 26/35

Honor

Update resume (again)

Clean out office closet

Friday - finished of Cloud's Rider on Friday, hit an 85lb OHP PR. 

Saturday -  updated resume, uploaded it where I can reach it whenever via Drive, read half of Jingo (Pratchett), PR'd squat at 220lbs, matched deadlift PR of 250 and tried for 260, almost made it. So close to 2 Plate Life.  I wanted to go to Metro Diner, but by the time I'd decided I wanted to do that, it was with perishables in the trunk and 1.5 hours 'til close, so....not so much. Did kanji practice at like 2AM or something because why not?

Sunday - cleaned up the pressure cooker, hit the Diner. That was an experience. I got a counter seat, which was not built with Short Legs in mind. I got to see the chaos that was the kitchen cooking the food and my seat was by the warming zone where they dish out the plates. Which meant looking at a lot of different orders. Read a little in Jingo while waiting and got 3 fried eggs, 3 strips of (real) bacon, and a very large portion of hashbrowns--which I cleaned up in record time. Groomed cats, changed bedding, marinated chicken for the grill. Turns out doing an unfamiliar cut of meat in a grill with a rusting-out charcoal tray wasn't the best idea we had all weekend. So I'm going to need to cook the chicken a bit longer when I heat them up for leftover lunch on Tuesday--luckily I'm working from home that day and can afford to futz around with it. Finished Jingo, bringing that To Read book total to 71. 40,000 in Gehenna (CJ Cherryh) is up next. I'm reminded I need to recount pages for everything this week now that my laptop can be fussed to stay alive? Maybe?

A lot of really, really unnecessary cursing happened over the last few days--like, talking to my cat conversationally unnecessary. Ah well. 

• Like 1

7/29/2019 + 7/30/2019

giphy.gif

Making moves, Doing Things

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I did rather well here, I think.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Courage

Technique Review - 8/10

Iaido Review - 2/5

Buki Waza Review - 4/5

Benevolence

9:00 Dinner - 9/10

Cat grooming - 4/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 17

Honesty

I am dancing right on the line of what is feasible. Some days my energy is good...others, not so much. 

Say (Only) What You Mean - 28/35

Honor

Clean out office closet

Monday was an okay day. Scored a .5lb 2RM PR on bench, 105.5lbs. OHP was solid, too. Didn't want to die at work. Dojo was koshinage, which featured a first for all of us--actually completing the throw. We just worked the first one due to breaking this new ground. Husband wants to buy a new grill on the strength of having allowed the old one we got for free to rust out uncovered for an entire year. I asked if he was going to buy a cover. Handwaving, yeah but the covers don't last and I'm like yeah, they're plastic or cloth, they aren't going to last. They take the beating so the grill doesn't. Guys. Plz send help. I am practicing my "but what about this obvious problem without hitting the ego nerve by saying precisely how I am thinking it" skills. 

Tuesday was a work-from-home day. Glorious day of things I've not touched in months breaking and doing things I thought I'd been told were mandatory to do, only for it to turn out to be a rake that I walked right onto. Fortunately no harm was done and comically I wasn't the only one to do it, so. At least misery got its company. Found another bug with software that isn't ours. +2 curses, the hazards of working from home on the laptop.

Verified page counts on unread books, which were almost to a book wrong. Something about them being shifted on the sheet, it appears, long ago. That leaves 298 read books that need their page counts...accounted for. I decided that was for another day. Also cracked open the closet door and guys I got rid of so many candles. Not all of the candles, just most of them. Some very expensive candles as candles go. Gifts. Cheap ones that have cute doo-dads on them that even if I retained the doo-dad WHERE DO THOSE GO??

Collected a couple electronics to dispose of, I think Best Buy will take them for recycling. So claims the website. Another half bag of miscellaneous kitchen and closet knick-knacks is going to hit the road. I now have a few remaining tasks to complete the decluttering of the office area, but I'll save that for next month. The goal is to ensure cleaning out these spaces will be thorough and not just shoving stuff from one part of the house to another like sedimentary deposits of crap. I'm also not forcing myself to make judgments on things for which I am conflicted, when it comes to fragile decor. I can always reevaluate a month or two from now. The reason for this is getting fragile decor bundled out the door is fussy, an effort only likely to be made for things I just really can't stand anymore, and so I want to play the odds on things I can get from Stuffed Up Someplace in a Closet to Gone From Our Lives in one fluid motion. It isn't a win to drag it out and let it dirtify the office space with its presence for two years. I will do it, do not tempt me. Decor that has been allowed to sit in the attic frightens me just to think about. Winter Is Coming. After Summertime, which is Very Hot and Plastic Melts. Agh. 

Shuffled the air fryer up on top of the cabinets so now the Ninja foodi has a home on a kitchen counter as opposed to the kitchen table. Hallelujah. 

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Monday was an okay day. Scored a .5lb 2RM PR on bench, 105.5lbs. OHP was solid, too.

Yay for continuing PRs!

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

I asked if he was going to buy a cover. Handwaving, yeah but the covers don't last and I'm like yeah, they're plastic or cloth, they aren't going to last. They take the beating so the grill doesn't. Guys. Plz send help. I am practicing my "but what about this obvious problem without hitting the ego nerve by saying precisely how I am thinking it" skills. 

This is where I would say "how much does a new grill cost? Okay, and how much is a cover? Really, that much? How long do you think the new grill will last without a cover?"

I know what you mean about covers not lasting. Our fancy metal fire ring came with a cover. Which is great for keeping wood dry if you don't burn it all. Unfortunately our squirrels are insane and chew on things. They destroyed the cover. We haven't replaced it because Elf has not been having friends over for outdoor parties this summer. Our grill goes in the garage when it's not in use.

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

I'm also not forcing myself to make judgments on things for which I am conflicted, when it comes to fragile decor. I can always reevaluate a month or two from now. The reason for this is getting fragile decor bundled out the door is fussy, an effort only likely to be made for things I just really can't stand anymore, and so I want to play the odds on things I can get from Stuffed Up Someplace in a Closet to Gone From Our Lives in one fluid motion. It isn't a win to drag it out and let it dirtify the office space with its presence for two years. I will do it, do not tempt me. Decor that has been allowed to sit in the attic frightens me just to think about. Winter Is Coming. After Summertime, which is Very Hot and Plastic Melts. Agh. 

Shuffled the air fryer up on top of the cabinets so now the Ninja foodi has a home on a kitchen counter as opposed to the kitchen table. Hallelujah. 

I completely agree on getting things Out The Door. I was thrilled when Dumbledore actually got rid of the stuff from the box we sorted. At least I think he did - at least it's not on the kitchen table. I have very little seasonal decor. Either I like something enough to look at it all the time, or not. I am slowing using my stash of old candles for meditation. Once I get through the funky ones I will start in on the really pretty ones that were too good to use when I was given them. I am not saving candles for my hypothetical granddaughter.

Level 76  Viking paladin

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

This is where I would say "how much does a new grill cost? Okay, and how much is a cover? Really, that much? How long do you think the new grill will last without a cover?"

I know what you mean about covers not lasting. Our fancy metal fire ring came with a cover. Which is great for keeping wood dry if you don't burn it all. Unfortunately our squirrels are insane and chew on things. They destroyed the cover. We haven't replaced it because Elf has not been having friends over for outdoor parties this summer. Our grill goes in the garage when it's not in use.

The answer is by a factor of at least 10, I think. The implicit argument was that the grill was 10 - 15 years old and grill covers deteriorate. Draw your own conclusions about whether it was about the grill cover or if he was kind of hoping the old grill--that was free, it came from his dad, and it worked fine until the rain got to it--would go the way Nature took it. That's sort of the conclusion I'm coming to, that it wasn't important to protect it and he kinda wanted a new grill anyway. There are ways to get a new grill that don't involve allowing the old one to become worthless to another human being. Dang, that hacks me off.

Oh don't get me started on the outdoor fire ring/pit thing. We have one of those and it is just as rusted. Why? See above. The backyard is where things go to wrack and ruin. I'm convinced it's due to having no idea how much he's actually willing to frolic around doing when Southern summer hits you like a sponge wrapped around a bag of nails. Do not underestimate the summer. It is not half as fun as advertised. If only we had the space to get it under physical cover that way, that's the smart solution.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I completely agree on getting things Out The Door. I was thrilled when Dumbledore actually got rid of the stuff from the box we sorted. At least I think he did - at least it's not on the kitchen table. I have very little seasonal decor. Either I like something enough to look at it all the time, or not. I am slowing using my stash of old candles for meditation. Once I get through the funky ones I will start in on the really pretty ones that were too good to use when I was given them. I am not saving candles for my hypothetical granddaughter.

Lol. I wonder how many months the donation bags stay in the trunk before they finally get to their Final Destination. Gave him the warning that one of these things is not like the others--one of them has candles in it. Cannot do the 3 month tour unless he wants to shop vac molten wax out of his ride. We don't have a ~ ton ~ of it (at least if you leave aside Christmas ornaments) on account of that small house life, but I am amazingly weak for tiny cute breakable poorly constructed things. Bonus points if something crapped glitter all over it. I have no interest in downsizing this part of the equation persay, but open mind and all that. If one could keep Christmas stuff out all the time (and have room to walk...), I would do, so definitely appreciate the logic. I once rotated things at least three seasons of the year. HA. The love, it is gone. And we all know that hypothetical granddaughter would be highly allergic to whatever junk chemicals are in the candles anyway lol. Do you get given large quantities of things that you don't even like even a little bit but now you've got this stuff and heretofore you've been guilted (by yourself mostly...) into keeping it? That's the kind of stuff that doesn't need to continue to exist. 

Got into a little argument with my mother on this subject. It makes me feel bad that people I barely know via her give me crap I don't like/can't use and I feel bad giving it away immediately but like, I got 3 pairs of grippy socks/slippers for Christmas last year from two o three different people WTF is this I would never wear them in a house with four cats? Plz to not waste your money? We hates it, Precious. Almost as much as we hates thick lamb-faced socks that go halfway up the calf and would never stay put.

In non-candle-related news, I did a swap on books I am actively reading 40,000 in Gehenna turned into a generation-spanning going-native type book so I rescued Tripoint from the donation pile, apologized to it, and asked it to come back to the nightstand. If I ever delude myself into another Lord of the Flies/let's colonize this alien planet, what could go wrong? plot, please come down here and slap me. Seriously.

7/31/2019

giphy.gif 

Hit me with your best shot. Please.

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Crushed it at shutting up once meeting convo got past lifting talk. Mentioning smith machines is like showing red to a bull.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Courage

Technique Review - 9/10

Iaido Review - 2/5

Buki Waza Review - 4/5

Benevolence

9:00 Dinner - 9/10

Cat grooming - 4/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 17

Honesty

I am dancing right on the line of what is feasible. Some days my energy is good...others, not so much. 

Say (Only) What You Mean - 29/35

Honor

Clean out office closet

Did heavy things in the gym involving squats and rack pulls, did the work thing, and experienced yet another dojo test night. Somebody went up to test who said two days ago they weren't testing because they weren't ready. They weren't ready, fam. Testing for purple took twice as long as it should. This person is the reason I'm not actually afraid of failing anything. It's all just glorified public speaking from there. Which is as we all know worse than death. Went home and ascertained that of the techniques we have been introduced to (all but two), yokomenuchi kotegaeshi, katatori menuchi iriminage, and ushiro katatori kokyunage are the weaknesses presently. So. You know. Maybe work on that.

In other news, I can't keep sequential dates straight. Whee. Is this week over yet?

• Like 3

8/1/2019

giphy.gif

Swing and a miss

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I petitioned my fellow human beings to cancel Thursday. They suggested rather we make Thursday the new Friday and Friday Saturday Pt 1.

Mop floor

Clean shower

Clean kitchen counters

Courage

Technique Review - 9/10

Iaido Review - 3/5

Buki Waza Review - 4/5

Benevolence

9:00 Dinner - 10/10

Cat grooming - 4/5

Politeness

Too Many Curses - 17

Honesty

Say (Only) What You Mean - 30/35

Thursday was just plain awful. No one did anything, it was just one of those days where you wished the rampaging barbarian would ride by with an ax. 

The sword I've been practicing drawing has a length of 29", which explains why it's so awkward and a 24-26" is like butter by comparison. My lord. Kata I - III are rather easy to remember, but there are a lot of nuances.

Shark Week started late on Wednesday, but messed stalled all Thursday just because it could, I guess. At least I got into bed at a less insane time than normal? A pity I woke up to cramps at 4:45AM on Friday lol. Good morning to me.