On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, Urgan said:

He's the guy marching around randomly throwing kicks in the air like a jackrabbit right about March 1st, punching the punching bag a few times, then going over to the smith machine and doing things to that. Quite the character. I normally see him on Saturdays in the afternoon, but he's been showing up in the mornings and amusing me every single time. Today was such a day. In this episode of just a chubby dude farting around in the gym taking himself way too seriously, he marched past the benches area and hopped up on the seat of the nearby cable machine as part of his walking "lap" of the weight area. Just another day of commercial gym antics, I guess.

What is it with commercial gyms bringing out the crazies? I don't get it. For all the seriousness that they supposedly have, I've never seen them in the Serious Places.

1 hour ago, shaar said:

UuuuggGGGHHHHHHHHH THE WORST

BODIES WHY ARE YOU SUCH SACKS OF CRAP SOMETIMES

I mean honestly we've evolved enough over time that you think this wouldn't be an issue anymore yeah???  Hope today is a little kinder with less bus-explosions.

Mysteries of the universe, right here.

3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

What is it with commercial gyms bringing out the crazies? I don't get it. For all the seriousness that they supposedly have, I've never seen them in the Serious Places.

Best place to play black ops ninja warrior is a place with minimal risk of (simulated) combat or obstacle course you didn't cobble together yourself to purposefully be just below your current capacity. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

8/22/2018

giphy.gif

Just hanging on

Recovery

Sleep - 13/25

2300 cals - 2271 : 2363

Aikido

Jo - 7/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 3/5 - 64%

Squat

45           5

125         5

145         5

160         5

171         2

144         3x5

Deadlifts

135         5

155         5

175         5

195         2

Spoiler: I am to this very moment still channeling that red panda. Forever that red panda.

I don't know what is up with this week, but it has been So Hard just to get out of bed. My Lord. I must also be channeling the God of Hangovers, because that's what it felt like getting ready in the morning, I wasn't sure how I was going to make it through a full day of work. Luckily after preworkout I at least could stand up straight, so I got that going for me. The gym session was almost completely unremarkable except that I did it and 171 will theoretically become my new 5RM on Saturday...whee...

Work was a whirlwind, but not as unrelentingly awful as Tuesday.

Aikido was less stressful than it might have been. Kumitachi means never having to take ukemi. Then we cleaned the dojo. When I got home, I reviewed the Jo Kata and the technique half of what we did in class to keep it from evaporating right out of my brain.

• Like 3

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

8/23/2018

giphy.gif

Day 4: The Sloggening

Recovery

Sleep - 13/25

2300 cals - 2227 : 2264

Aikido

Jo - 7/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 3/5 - 86%

The beat rolls on. What can I say? I'm clinging to the inviolable law of time's inexorable passage to get me through this week. Aka, the UGH is real. Work is productive, it really has been inoffensive the whole time, it's just the fuel supply sorta disappeared on me 'round about Monday evening and it ain't ever been right since. Using Saturday as a better gauge of whether it might be sleep or food. I hope like heck it's just an issue of disturbed sleep at a particularly bad time. 

In other news, the other day I witnessed something spectacular. You know that iconic scene from Inu Yasha where said character is riding on the back of Kagome's bike in the evening through feudal Japan? Well I saw the Redneck version of this driving home. The man was pedaling the bike and the woman was hunched over the front of the bike displaying massive ass-crack for both her driver and the entire lane beside them. It was spectacular. 

8/24/2018 - 8/26/2018

giphy.gif

Oh but context is everything, Kids

Recovery

Sleep - 14/25

2300 cals - 2232 : 2054, 2278, 2311

Aikido

Jo - 8/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 4/5

Friday

OHP

45         2x5

55         5

60         5

72         2

68         3x5

Bench

45         5

60         5

70         5

80         5

90         2

80         5x5

The last day of this very, very flat week (as far as I'm concerned). I could have done more work sets of OHP, but Time. Oh well.

For all of you nonbelievers out there, I have incontrovertible proof that God exists and He loves us. So about 3 weeks after I came aboard New Job, another guy got hired as a "Senior" QA guy and he quickly began making gestures of trying to "train" me, noises about setting up structure in the department that he had no call to make, and/or assigning me tasks--none of which went anywhere because the IT manager was Not Impressed and I am so passive-aggressive, guys, like you don't even know. It's a skill I picked up from Old Job, where you say yes or nod your head and you Just Don't Do the Thing? Wow. Well, you're wondering where Divine Providence comes into this picture, yeah? Well brace yourselves: last week he told a small subset of peeps, myself included, that he be leaving soon because his Old Job called him back and guys, I has such an excite. Such excite. I got this huge sense of dread when he arrived and was talking about "implementing" "procedures" and "structure" and shit and I was like, oh God it's like Old Job is following me. I have PTSD when it comes to imposed order from people who barely know what the business is about like you don't even know how much that creeps me out. The punchline of this joke called my life is his name is--and I'm just gonna leave this one here because normally I am not one to mock names, but WOW is this one not even my fault mistakes were made--BJ Kidd. 

In less hilariously awesome news, our intern's last day was Friday because college is starting and that was kinda sad.

Saturday

Squat

45           5

115         5

145         5

150         5

180         2

171         5x5--5RM PR + 3!!

Deadlifts

135         5

155         5

175         5

205         5x5

195         5

TFW you PR your squat and the sets of deadlifts at 5RM on the same day. Yup. Not dying. Not exactly losing weight, but not really gaining, either. My clothes are not presently trying to cut me in twain, still, so that's good. I am doing a pretty good job of sticking to macros, which suggests 2300 is not gonna be a cut any time soon. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The last few weeks have been hovering in the 2200s, actually, and my weight is hanging at the mid-118s. I'm going to give it one more week and tighten the screws to 2200--I would do it now, but I want to give it a week and see what my body decides is fashionable. I am encouraged that this was just a "off" week given how I felt Saturday and Sunday by comparison, it might have been a glitch in sleep quality, it might have been having a delayed meltdown over losing those 2-300 calories a day.

Sunday

Sunday's job is to get done whatever I forgot up to that point, which is to say that last jo session and the remaining two Cal videos for the week. Whoops. I am not totally lost watching the Calculus videos, which may be the win of the year, I dunno.

We made smoked pork and it were good.

RIP my legs. You will be missed.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, Urgan said:

In other news, the other day I witnessed something spectacular. You know that iconic scene from Inu Yasha where said character is riding on the back of Kagome's bike in the evening through feudal Japan? Well I saw the Redneck version of this driving home. The man was pedaling the bike and the woman was hunched over the front of the bike displaying massive ass-crack for both her driver and the entire lane beside them. It was spectacular. 

We have a local character "scooter-cape-thong-man". Thankfully I have only seen him once.

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

For all of you nonbelievers out there, I have incontrovertible proof that God exists and He loves us. So about 3 weeks after I came aboard New Job, another guy got hired as a "Senior" QA guy and he quickly began making gestures of trying to "train" me, noises about setting up structure in the department that he had no call to make, and/or assigning me tasks--none of which went anywhere because the IT manager was Not Impressed and I am so passive-aggressive, guys, like you don't even know. It's a skill I picked up from Old Job, where you say yes or nod your head and you Just Don't Do the Thing? Wow. Well, you're wondering where Divine Providence comes into this picture, yeah? Well brace yourselves: last week he told a small subset of peeps, myself included, that he be leaving soon because his Old Job called him back and guys, I has such an excite. Such excite. I got this huge sense of dread when he arrived and was talking about "implementing" "procedures" and "structure" and shit and I was like, oh God it's like Old Job is following me. I have PTSD when it comes to imposed order from people who barely know what the business is about like you don't even know how much that creeps me out. The punchline of this joke called my life is his name is--and I'm just gonna leave this one here because normally I am not one to mock names, but WOW is this one not even my fault mistakes were made--BJ Kidd. 

In less hilariously awesome news, our intern's last day was Friday because college is starting and that was kinda sad.

Saturday

Squat

45           5

115         5

145         5

150         5

180         2

171         5x5--5RM PR + 3!!

Deadlifts

135         5

155         5

175         5

205         5x5

195         5

TFW you PR your squat and the sets of deadlifts at 5RM on the same day. Yup. Not dying. Not exactly losing weight, but not really gaining, either.

Yay for the PRs and losing your annoying coworker!

I admire your precision at sticking to your macro targets. I just look through the kitchen for something edible. I've been doing okay by tightening up my definition of "edible". It still includes ice cream and I'm eating quite a lot of that while we still have summer weather.

• Thanks 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

5 minutes ago, Jord said:

woooo! nothing makes a month or a year like an annoyingcoworker(TM) vacating their position

I tell you what boy howdy. 

1 minute ago, Mistr said:

We have a local character "scooter-cape-thong-man". Thankfully I have only seen him once.

We need handy grab-n-go eye bleach for the car.

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Yay for the PRs and losing your annoying coworker!

I admire your precision at sticking to your macro targets. I just look through the kitchen for something edible. I've been doing okay by tightening up my definition of "edible". It still includes ice cream and I'm eating quite a lot of that while we still have summer weather.

I honestly am happy with the fact that this dude is going, going.... the PRs were practically bonus for this week lol.

I treat it like a game, honestly. Motivated by pain avoidance lol.

• Like 2

8/27/2018

giphy.gif

Meat

Recovery

Sleep - 15/25

2300 cals - 2180 : 2180

Aikido

Jo - 8/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 4/5 - 23%

Bench

45         5

70         5

80         3

90         1

100       1

105         5x1

OHP

45         5

55         5

60         3

70         1

75         1

61         6x3

This was a pretty important session. I've only benched 105lbs once, ever, and it did not feel like a 1RM today. Mebbe my body was just throwing a fit over the calories it "lost"--hilarious because this is pre-New Job baseline. My weight is just kinda doing its own thing ATM wibbling and wobbling in the 118-119 range (vs 118-120), so I am going to have to lower the threshold a bit more. I think stepping down to 2200 will do it and maybe it won't result in another metabolic temper tantrum. May need to adjust my percentages to keep protein topped up.

Aikido was jiyu waza--aka your partner attacks you and you gotta deal with that. It was fun, a lot less full of fail than the first time I was exposed to it. As one would hope. My upper legs were trashed from the moment I rolled out of bed, so of course Sensei decides to do lower leg and back yoga at the end of class YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kishi said:

What is it with classes honing in on the most-recently worked part and hammering them further? I don't get it.

They Know. Hilariously, I wasn't the one making Dying Noises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Altho in full disclosure I might have said "shitshitshitshitshit" reaching back to grab my foot from half pigeon out of reflex because holy Mother my quads were not amused.

• Haha 1

8/28/2018

giphy.gif

Tuesday got me like

Recovery

Sleep - 16/25

2300 cals - 2098 : 2016

Aikido

Jo - 8/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 4/5 - 46%

Well this was a day that happened. A totally unremarkable day except I napped until 8:45 at night so that made making dinner interesting. Luckily it was Dump It In the Pressure Cooker and Walk Off grade White Chili, so we did actually eat. Barely. Honestly could have skipped it no problem except tomorrow comes and it is squat intensity day. NOT the time to skip a meal, friends. I math'd? Woo?

But hey I learned a thing about why Japanese peeps be interested in blood types. You know, sometimes character bios list blood type? Well allegedly this is intended to give insight into character personalities by typing. Apparently for a while there it was a bad time if you had B type blood and wanted to get a job. It's like if you took a Harry Potter house sorting quiz only it mattered. 

• Like 2

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note to why my calories are at bargain basement (for me) but weight is up, Birdseye Riced Cauliflower is 1375mg sodium per bag....

Additional unrelated fact, riced cauliflower appears in my diet at least 2x week lately.

• Like 1

Guys I don't know why my weight is fluctuating. After two days of sodium at 2931 and 3725 my weight was 117.2 but then the next day I weighed 119.6lbs and my sodium was only 7678.....it's a mystery.

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

Guys I don't know why my weight is fluctuating. After two days of sodium at 2931 and 3725 my weight was 117.2 but then the next day I weighed 119.6lbs and my sodium was only 7678.....it's a mystery.

how's your poo

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

But hey I learned a thing about why Japanese peeps be interested in blood types. You know, sometimes character bios list blood type? Well allegedly this is intended to give insight into character personalities by typing. Apparently for a while there it was a bad time if you had B type blood and wanted to get a job. It's like if you took a Harry Potter house sorting quiz only it mattered. 

In my questionable adolescence / young adulthood I played a game where you chose your daughter's blood type and if she had B she would just up and run away occasionally. Like, hasta I'm out cheezits peace

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Urgan said:

11 hours ago, ixaera said:

In my questionable adolescence / young adulthood I played a game where you chose your daughter's blood type and if she had B she would just up and run away occasionally. Like, hasta I'm out cheezits peace

I want to laugh at this ... but... I have B blood type. > _ >

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

21 hours ago, Urgan said:

is this a sodium PR? what kind of delicious thing did you eat?

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

8/29/2018

giphy.gif

Networking is hard

Recovery

Sleep - 17/25

2300 cals - 2134 : 2169

Aikido

Jo - 8/10 

Suwari Waza - 4/5

Adulting

Math - 4/5 - 46%

Squat

45           5

135         5

145         3

160         1

185         1

197.5      3x1

Deadlifts

155         5

175         3

195         1

220         1

Two morning PRs, in stereo. Still felt stiff and sore from Saturday and Monday's further abuse, but I am pleased with these results.

Work was far busier than it had any right to be with three competing priorities all carouseling around my face and a network acting like it had jumped through a time warp to the 90s OMG LOAD THE PAGES TODAY PLZ. I did get to drop an O BTW There's a Bug bomb in the midst of the happy glad-handing we got the project done fest, complete with annoying coworker giving his seal of approval just prior. It's the kind of bug that can't be ignored. So that made me feel pretty smug. I could have waited until that approval was more public and high profile to let them know, but I didn't. Could have, tho.

giphy.gif

After epic business, Aikido was ryotetori nikyo (two hands on one, second teaching), which is always good. Eight variations to that sucker. It's a good thing they're all really easy to remember or else I would be standing there holding uke's fingers awkwardly for days.....

No math today because Busy, nothing else was really accomplished at all. Yeee. I did play the fun game of trying to find the lowest sodium route through my day after half of the choices had already been made and the other half were tethered to what my parents could supply. That is a good feel, there. Got it to 3109, which makes me feel like a damn hero. Fell asleep in bed with computer, but I'm giving it to myself on grounds that all I needed to do was roll over and turn the light out. <5 minutes of sleep interruption. Next time I will not be so merciful.

My dad's heart surgery is the 30th. Triple possibly quadruple bypass + valve is the game plan. Dis gon b gud. 

11 hours ago, ixaera said:

how's your poo

Poo is very regular and quality is predictable based on what I have eaten. 

Aw. Snacks are important so this excuse flies.

15 minutes ago, Jord said:

I want to laugh at this ... but... I have B blood type. > _ >

Do NOT move to Japan. Do not stop, do not collect $200.

14 minutes ago, Jord said:

is this a sodium PR? what kind of delicious thing did you eat?

I don't know? I'm afraid if it isn't?? 

Things.

Two rounds of deli chicken, cauliflower rice, burrito bowl, and potato chips. Breakfast = 1400, Lunch = 2500, dinner = 3000, snacks = 900. Rounding a bit, but you get the idea. 

• Like 2

A warning to MFP peeps who use recipes--MFP does NOT update calculations from the original import of a recipe very well. My dinner for tonight showed very different macros and sodium when entered manually, very carefully, vs the imported version. There is nothing I entered to justify a 1100mg difference in the two. I think the problem is I removed 1T salt from the entry and MFP didn't care to recalculate that change, which is what originally alarmed me. So now damn near every lunch and dinner I've ever cooked is suspect lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wait.  I checked into the NF forums to see what my friends are up to and.....

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Math - 4/5 - 46%

Wait.  What?  Did the world just end?  I am going to go back a couple pages to see what you are trying to do.

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

No math today because Busy,

MB is very clear about the Rules with me:  6am = NO MATH! :lol:

37 minutes ago, Urgan said:

A warning to MFP peeps

:lol:

Most people tend to underestimate the calories they consume and overestimate the calories they expend, yet in one year (2016) MFP predicted that I would gain 50 pounds and that did not happen.

And hi!  I need to rebuild my NF routine and communication!

(EDIT1: Hopefully, CM does not show up here and blast me for not reading the posts when I'm trying to catch up.)

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

On 7/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, Urgan said:

Math. I'm going to try to do a really scary thing. The most scary thing a human being can possibly do in this life. That's right, I'm going to try to learn Calculus

0/5

I found it!  I thought you studied Calculus in university!

Curious:  Why do you want to learn Calculus?

Also:  I am wearing a math nerd shirt I made myself, but it has nothing to do with Calculus.

Confession:  I have forgotten most of it.

What do the percentages mean?

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

5 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Wait.  What?  Did the world just end?  I am going to go back a couple pages to see what you are trying to do.

Just now, Sam Ashen said:

I found it!  I thought you studied Calculus in university!

Curious:  Why do you want to learn Calculus?

As I described it to my PhD father (to curb his enthusiasm a HAIR), I am trying to take the sting out of the scorpion. Trying to slay the dragon. Trying to understand the theory, with no intention of directly applying any of it. I'm doing this learning thing and it involves Calculus. See, the logic is I'm sick of hearing people say they aren't any good at X as an excuse to never, ever try ever again and it's really a common thing with both computers and fitness. So you can see where that line of thought is going. 

I did sit in a classroom where it was being taught and I ended up with a passing score, but that's about it. It's more of a philosophy problem than a math problem.

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

What do the percentages mean?

How far through a week's lessons I've gotten~

7 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

:lol:

Most people tend to underestimate the calories they consume and overestimate the calories they expend, yet in one year (2016) MFP predicted that I would gain 50 pounds and that did not happen.

It's an important point for someone trying to understand if sodium is in fact responsible for weight fluctuation--not if sodium is bad, just if I'm retaining water (ring sizes suggest this is a symptom--if you can wear a ring fine after a period of no access to water and then after a few sips of water the ring is uncomfortable it's hard to come to any other conclusion). It doesn't matter as much for calories because I've been consistent in wrongness for years now. The only reason this matters at all is avoiding the issue of clothing (and rings...) digging into my hide and Do Not Want to buy all new things when I haven't had these things for a year yet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

As I described it to my PhD father (to curb his enthusiasm a HAIR)

I'm trying to curb MY enthusiasm a HAIR!

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I am trying to take the sting out of the scorpion. Trying to slay the dragon. Trying to understand the theory,

These are all noble goals!

11 minutes ago, Urgan said:

See, the logic is I'm sick of hearing people say they aren't any good at X as an excuse to never, ever try ever again and it's really a common thing with both computers and fitness. So you can see where that line of thought is going. 

This hits pretty close to home.  Since it involves some people and privacy, I will go DM when I gather my thoughts and some time.

12 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I did sit in a classroom where it was being taught and I ended up with a passing score, but that's about it. It's more of a philosophy problem than a math problem.

This is a general problem with the System on several levels.  Kids are supposed to go to school to learn something, but instead they go to school to get a good grade, enough of a grade to.... get through.  There is supposed to be great joy in teaching and learning, but when it becomes a game for blood, then it's no longer fun.

If we take this conversation back to fitness, I was recently explaining to MB and Little John why I keep saying that I hate running:

1. It is a popular thing to say, especially among lifters.  Saying that I hate running makes me cool.  People who love running are freaks.

2. I set my expectations way to high, based on what I might have accomplished when I was younger and lighter, and ran more often and therefore better, and more importantly, based on what other people who are better runners can accomplish.  So when I do not meet those expectations, I think I am bad at running.

It might be fair to say that nobody ever taught me how to run.

Going back to math:  I heard a rumor somewhere that a lot of kids struggled with calculus because they never developed skill with algebra.  As you put it, they sat in a classroom where algebra was taught, and (eventually) got a passing score on a standardized test, but they never actually learned it.  Do you still have skill in that area?

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP