1 minute ago, Kishi said:

Sure. I can see how that would play out, and it's not like it doesn't work. I guess I'm just paranoid given my own training troubles and how I'm trying to avoid stressing the system too much, you know? Because I know you got a lot to deal with too, and I just wouldn't want you to should yourself in the foot.

But it sounds like you're not, and as usual you are the Iron Sage between us.

It's not necessarily the most disciplined training approach, but I tend to skew conservative on my training weights so it's a mental exercise as much as a physical one for me. This "go for broke, not broken" happens a handful of times a year, very infrequently anyway. Oddly it gives me more confidence in the weights in between because if I can deadlift 220 for triples months ago I can do 215 for triples for multiple sets now, right?

Given your circumstances of courting overuse issues, it probably wouldn't translate well.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

9/17/2018

giphy.gif

That 100lb life

Recovery

Calories. 2199 : 2199

Sodium. 1700 : 1700

Weight. 119.9 : 120.4

Aikido

Jo. 4/8

Other Techniques. 1/4

Adulting

Math. 2/4 - 27%

Bench

45         3

65         3

75         3

85         3

100      4x3--3RM PR + 1LB!!

OHP

45         3

50         3

60         3

65         3

72.5      3--3RM PR + .5LB!!

68         6x3

Back on the gain train with a double feature. 100lbs didn't feel terrible--obviously heavy, but I still have some clearance there. OHP felt good. Goodbye, Shark Week.

Sensei asked me if I was ex-military on the basis of my push-up form, which amuses me because a - I hate push-ups and b - he sees all the training I do of them, lol. It was very flattering all the same. I've seen all the progress come in direct correlation to how I did on bench that morning. Literally I PR on bench and that evening I feel like it takes a bit less effort to do the dojo's warmup. Is nice. My goal is to do them silently one day lol. And then we did bokken suburi 5 and 6, bokken partner funtiems, and jiu waza. We always get nervous when the timer comes out because that means we're doing jiu waza. 

• Like 5

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Hey, just hanging in there and doing your workouts during Shark Week is a win in my book.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, Urgan said:

What's a girl to do? Well, I recognize that a complicating factor in all this is Shark Week and my weeklong headache extravaganza. I am somewhat amused that I am maintaining weight similar to when I was eating 2500 calories on average. If you squint at my weight graph really hard it kinda maybe looks like I am approaching stability. That would be nice if it were true. Given my performance in the gym has been good, I'm really not super hyped about dipping <2000 calories. Not even going to lie. So not hype I refuse to do it because as it is I am running on fumes during key parts of the week. So I'm going to sit on 2200 a bit longer and sorta halfway pay attention to sodium and hope that post-Shark Week brings changes. Maybe in my give-a-damn levels lol.

That makes good sense. This was the first migraine you've had in months, right? With all the work you've been doing to dial in your food sources, I'll bet you are close to optimal already. Hopefully your give-a-damn levels will pick up.

7 hours ago, Urgan said:

Back on the gain train with a double feature. 100lbs didn't feel terrible--obviously heavy, but I still have some clearance there. OHP felt good. Goodbye, Shark Week.

Sensei asked me if I was ex-military on the basis of my push-up form, which amuses me because a - I hate push-ups and b - he sees all the training I do of them, lol. It was very flattering all the same. I've seen all the progress come in direct correlation to how I did on bench that morning. Literally I PR on bench and that evening I feel like it takes a bit less effort to do the dojo's warmup. Is nice. My goal is to do them silently one day lol. And then we did bokken suburi 5 and 6, bokken partner funtiems, and jiu waza. We always get nervous when the timer comes out because that means we're doing jiu waza. 

Congrats on the PRs!

LOL on your push-up form. :D 

How does your dojo implement jiu waza? I've seen several variations of jiu waza and randori. Ours ranges from one uke doing any attack and nage doing any techique for some set number of techniques, up to multiple ukes attacking in turn. For randori the ukes don't take turns, they all do their best to attack at any opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

That makes good sense. This was the first migraine you've had in months, right? With all the work you've been doing to dial in your food sources, I'll bet you are close to optimal already. Hopefully your give-a-damn levels will pick up.

Yeah, I haven't had an incident like this in a long while. Do Not Want. I am beginning to regret my sodium experimentation lol.

3 minutes ago, Mistr said:

LOL on your push-up form. :D

I know, right? Literally only doing formal push-ups for the lulz because knee pushups are just kind of a waste of time. Except during bad Shark Weeks. They aren't a waste of time then.

4 minutes ago, Mistr said:

How does your dojo implement jiu waza? I've seen several variations of jiu waza and randori. Ours ranges from one uke doing any attack and nage doing any techique for some set number of techniques, up to multiple ukes attacking in turn. For randori the ukes don't take turns, they all do their best to attack at any opportunity.

So belt levels dictate attacks permitted for jiu waza, but you can do any technique you can squirrel out of that range of attacks. One uke, one nage. Sensei starts the timer and away we go until it's time to switch. I think randori is pretty much anything goes. Sometimes weapons are involved. It may be a whim of Sensei kind of deal lol. I haven't really considered limitations as belt levels advance yet, so maybe there is some guidelines for test day?

9/18/2018

giphy.gif

Something something and I'm Still Alie

Recovery

Calories. 2169 : 2139

Sodium. 2019 :  2242

Weight. 119.3 : 118.8

Aikido

Jo. 4/8

Other Techniques. 1/4

Adulting

Math. 2/4 - 54%

The headache was so real I nearly bashed my brains out to make the pain stop. I can feel it in my right trap, it's not a migraine it's muscle tension to the nth power. I need to make lacrosse ball life a priority. Given this, my sodium level for the day was a dang miracle and I am a hero because Pace salsa is what I got on Friday and Pace salsa is sodium city. 250mg per serving and there's 10 of those in a jar of 12oz. VS 140mg for two cans of diced tomatoes and a can of chopped green chilis. It required another trip to the store and my head nearly exploded but I did it.

Math is still happening. It's getting hard to follow, but I'm clinging on for dear life. 

It's test week this week at the dojo, so only one round of techniques to review....which will definitely be happening....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I can feel it in my right trap, it's not a migraine it's muscle tension to the nth power.

Frickadoodledoo put this on my tombstone.  I HATE TRAP TENSION MIGRAINES.  AUUGHHHH hope you feel better and your brains stay in your skull for another day.  Those things are the wooorrssttt.

• Thanks 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

4 hours ago, shaar said:

Frickadoodledoo put this on my tombstone.  I HATE TRAP TENSION MIGRAINES.  AUUGHHHH hope you feel better and your brains stay in your skull for another day.  Those things are the wooorrssttt.

It's the story of our lives. I think I wish it stays there, too? Not sure, TBPH. It crops up every so often and I have to relearn this lesson. Gah it's not like I have a LESSONS LIST or anything to consult.......

5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Boooo, traps for intimidating newbs, not for headaches. 0/5 stars, would not recommend.

No, would not recommend. No more than I would recommend tripping facefirst on an icepick. Why do you treat me this way, body....?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Urgan said:

The headache was so real I nearly bashed my brains out to make the pain stop. I can feel it in my right trap, it's not a migraine it's muscle tension to the nth power. I need to make lacrosse ball life a priority. Given this, my sodium level for the day was a dang miracle and I am a hero because Pace salsa is what I got on Friday and Pace salsa is sodium city. 250mg per serving and there's 10 of those in a jar of 12oz. VS 140mg for two cans of diced tomatoes and a can of chopped green chilis. It required another trip to the store and my head nearly exploded but I did it.

42 minutes ago, Urgan said:

It's the story of our lives. I think I wish it stays there, too? Not sure, TBPH. It crops up every so often and I have to relearn this lesson. Gah it's not like I have a LESSONS LIST or anything to consult.......

That sucks, but in a lot of ways it is a good thing. You know exactly why you got the migraine and what to do about it. I was afraid it was another mystery food causing the problem.

42 minutes ago, Urgan said:

No, would not recommend. No more than I would recommend tripping facefirst on an icepick. Why do you treat me this way, body....?

I wonder that too. Some things are just desserts for overdoing it. Other things seem to be random pain for no good reason. Really body, I would stop doing the thing if only I knew which one is pissing you off.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I wonder that too. Some things are just desserts for overdoing it. Other things seem to be random pain for no good reason. Really body, I would stop doing the thing if only I knew which one is pissing you off.

This. I have suspicions about sleeping positions, but that requires time and testing. We shall see.

9/19/2018

giphy.gif

Stretching is impotant

Recovery

Calories. 2154 : 2124

Sodium. 2121 :  2422

Weight. 119.6 : 120.0

Aikido

Jo. 5/8

Other Techniques. 2/4

Adulting

Math. 2/4 - 72%

Squat

45           3

125         3

155         3

160         3

180         3x3

185         2x3

Deadlifts

145         3

165         3

200         3

208         3

Played mind games with myself to get my butt out of bed, because my head was NOT feeling it. Ever have a morning where you're in the bathroom doing a thought experiment trying to imagine the scenario in which you actually get through the day? That was me.

I ended up sharing space with a guy doing deadlifts with a tripod camera setup, so that was kind of a trip. Other people doing the same thing as me in the gym....it took some adjustment, I will admit. Sharing space usually means my pace is artificially sped up and this was no exception...at first. Guy got chatty and it kept him away from his bar (his deadlift bar. That he brought into the gym. Along with his bag and tripod.), so it gave me an opportunity to set my pace a bit more. Stepping around his 475lb bar made me feel a little lame about how the 180lb squats were feeling vs total effort expended, so I jumped 5lbs, as you do, and did some of those. Could have done more, but decided I needed to at least pretend I too deadlift. Technically that makes two volume PRs for the morning. 208lbs didn't feel all that impressive, so I'm not exactly jumping up and down with my accomplishment, there. 

I took my lacrosse ball with me and rolled after gym time, to which I attribute the lion's share of the credit for me not being in total agony all day long. Yay. 

Test night at the dojo had me taking ukemi for an orange-to-green belt test. I had to pause like an idiot child and listen as carefully to the technique call-outs as the orange belt to remember how to attack him. Luckily apparently my ukemi looked decent, or so I was told by a few people, so I have that to redeem me. I also did black belt qualifier randori for the first time. Yeeeeee was not terrified at all. Not a bit. Red belt used me as a meat shield so the black belts wouldn't kill us both and the sad thing is I knew that's what he was doing at the time. I guess it beats a broken arm and/or a concussion....

Got home early, did jo and suburi stuff, laid in bed, fell asleep with the light on--this time not propped up on my right side, at least. Experimenting time...if I don't spend a lot of time sleeping on my side while elevated, maybe I won't feel like death the next day??

On 9/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, ixaera said:

This typo amuses me

the cake is a lie

you are not a lie

but you are doing science!

I wish my consciousness was a lie, let me tell you. 

I dreamed about a Terminator-like cyborg riding an archaeopteryx. Apparently I was imagining this in the dream itself as one does reading about characters, the book had little illustrations at the top and I swear to God I did the thing to myself where you find out there's an official illustration and you hate it because it looks nothing like what you had in mind?

This is literally all in my mind and I did the "omg he has THAT color hair??" type thing which really bummed me out. UGH. Maybe the true cause of my migraines is I have a brain tumor. 

• Like 1

9/20/2018

giphy.gif

Listening to my body got me like

Recovery

Calories. 2190: 2299

Sodium. 2168 :  2308

Weight. 119.4 : 119.2

Aikido

Jo. 5/8

Other Techniques. 2/4

Adulting

Math. 3/4

So I'm noticing a pattern in my numbers now that we are clear of Shark Week muddying the data. Gym days I jettison a lot of water/waste due to preworkout + lifting, Monday and Wednesday are low sodium days, so Tuesday and Thursday numbers are always lower than Monday/Wednesday. BM are on their own freewheeling schedule, so essentially I'm chasing around water and BMs. High sodium day + 1 = 120~, low sodium day pre-BM = 119, and on reeeeeeally lucky days post-BM I might see 118~. What defines low sodium? Well, not sure exactly. 1700-1800 definitely qualifies. What is high sodium? No idea on specifics, but it appears 2100 is sufficient to qualify. I eat very consistently in the 2100 - 2300 average calorie range and there are no local exceptions to this. Not that isolated days of off-road eating mean diddly, I'm just painting a picture for you. So it comes down to can one eat <2000mg sodium daily with consistency? I'm gonna go with nope, dawg. That is not going to be a reasonable game plan unless I plan to also cut calories. Which confirms my initial suspicions and I think is good data given I am also feeling reasonably good in the gym while combating this trap tension nonsense--not amazing, not terrible. 

My hair hurts, y'all. Friday is a half-day for me, because I am Done with this.

• Like 1

I've been having a crazy week and didn't realize how behind I was on your BL!

12 minutes ago, Urgan said:

So I'm noticing a pattern in my numbers now that we are clear of Shark Week muddying the data. Gym days I jettison a lot of water/waste due to preworkout + lifting, Monday and Wednesday are low sodium days, so Tuesday and Thursday numbers are always lower than Monday/Wednesday. BM are on their own freewheeling schedule, so essentially I'm chasing around water and BMs. High sodium day + 1 = 120~, low sodium day pre-BM = 119, and on reeeeeeally lucky days post-BM I might see 118~. What defines low sodium? Well, not sure exactly. 1700-1800 definitely qualifies. What is high sodium? No idea on specifics, but it appears 2100 is sufficient to qualify. I eat very consistently in the 2100 - 2300 average calorie range and there are no local exceptions to this. Not that isolated days of off-road eating mean diddly, I'm just painting a picture for you. So it comes down to can one eat <2000mg sodium daily with consistency? I'm gonna go with nope, dawg. That is not going to be a reasonable game plan unless I plan to also cut calories. Which confirms my initial suspicions and I think is good data given I am also feeling reasonably good in the gym while combating this trap tension nonsense--not amazing, not terrible. 

I think KNOWING that salt and training and BMs affect weight is half the battle. Most people don't even get that and panic about the day to day fluctuations. So you are already way ahead of the curve.

Also, how much will regulating sodium affect your happiness? I.E. if a more consistent scale number isn't worth it, is it worth the effort to monitor sodium?

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

1 hour ago, Jord said:

I've been having a crazy week and didn't realize how behind I was on your BL!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Jord said:

I think KNOWING that salt and training and BMs affect weight is half the battle. Most people don't even get that and panic about the day to day fluctuations. So you are already way ahead of the curve.

And also knowing that it specifically results in a +-1lb deviation doesn't hurt. 

1 hour ago, Jord said:

Also, how much will regulating sodium affect your happiness? I.E. if a more consistent scale number isn't worth it, is it worth the effort to monitor sodium?

I have just a smidge more fluff than I like seeing and it is sitting around my waist. I don't want abzzzz, I just want a bit less flabzzzz. This may call for a slow 50 cal at a time cut + measurements of the region in question. Sigh. I don't want to cut so bad it might affect my ability to lift. I do think I am right on the bead of maintenance given that +-1lb thing, so it should take so. very. little. effort to carve off enough fat to make me happy. Should. I dunno.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

My hair hurts, y'all. Friday is a half-day for me, because I am Done with this.

Very well deserved IMHO.

tenor.gif?itemid=9006420

• Thanks 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Very well deserved IMHO.

tenor.gif?itemid=9006420

I am about to leave and it feels so good because this is sprint end and I just can't take the madness. Debating a detour before heading home. Not sure, depends on if my brain can take the drive back before lunch + grocery run. The things we do to minimize drive time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Speak for yourself. My drive time is the only time I get off and to myself.

Lol we've been around this particular mountain a time or two already, sir. You can have my hour commute, I give it freely. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for PRs and making it through a sprint. I hope you get some good relaxing time this weekend.

So far I have gotten groceries (Adulting...somehow), eaten lunch, taken a 3-ish hour nap, laid around some more, gotten a shower, rolled on the lacrosse ball, and for the first time in two weeks I can say I am neither exhausted nor in some kind of pain. PROGRESS. Dinner is a thing that should be considered.

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

In regular open-hand randori I rarely see human shields. More often bowling with ukes. Weapons randori is a different story. The main strategy in shinai randori is to use the ukes as shields and road blocks. Fun times.

We do it both ways, but I lack the eyes of experience to tell you the difference if there is any at my dojo. Yet. This night was meat shield city because he was smart enough to realize with me and a yellow belt out there, they couldn't very well run us both over to press him. 

Not by any means a new video to me or to the world in general, but I stumbled upon it again and figured why not share.

• Like 1

Friday I weighed in at 120.2lbs at 5:20AM (2308mg sodium, 2299 calories Thursday).

This morning I weighted 118.2lbs at 10:30AM (1432mg sodium, 2154 calories Friday, BM just before weigh-in).

So that's literally running my estimated +-1lb deviation over the course of 20~hours.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Sounds like you have it "on lock" as the kids say.

(do the kids still say that? tell me they do. I'm getting old and I can't stand it)

Now to move that window down a few lbs and we be good.

• Like 1