• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Oh noes! You handled it great.

 

Lol, it was a real disaster. The blender is not with us anymore * coughs *.

 

3 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Ugh! So typical. And however sure you are this is crappy copy-paste it still sucks so hard. I can totally get why you're afraid. I'm crossing my fingers for it going well.

 

I mean, on a logical level it'd make no sense to consider me for a mid-level position because I simply don't have enough command of all the skills listed to on-board in a couple weeks and be good to mentor others. Give me five or so years and maybe I'd be ready by then, lol. Added confusion: I applied for another more approachable position at the same company last week and was hoping to hear back about that one...it was quite the sucker punch. Good news is I know a guy who works there and the other job is one his boss is looking to hire for the purposes of training up the skills he needs because Can't Find The Complete Skillset and it's got some QA work in there, sooooo....if that isn't stacked enough in my favor, I don't know anymore. 

 

2 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Nice food save!

Fear not! Regardless of how it goes, getting out there is solid interview practice, too. Good job putting your face in front of people! (Or, voice in the ear of? In case it's a phone interview.)

 

It is a face-to-face interview. They gave me the option of doing phone, at which I am more confident, but I did the war gaming in my head and decided it'd sound idiotic to choose it because boss might think I'm too lazy to go to the office for interview, what about when you're hired and have to commute daily?? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I mean, on a logical level it'd make no sense to consider me for a mid-level position

 

Maybe not, but if you have connections there and you've got some strong skills that suit the company, some places will straight up make you fit. Not always, maybe not even often, but it could be they have an idea for a sort of custom fit role? Hard to say, since you pointed out their role descriptions have a lot of copy pasta. I'm not one to get any hopes up, but it might not be as big of a waste of time after all, maybe.

 

Different scenario, but a girl here was bored in her position because it required no brain for day to day work. She applied elsewhere, got an offer, gave her notice, and they created a role here that fit her and would use her skills. And gave her a huge pay bump. There was no role before she had it created for her (and I'm trying to hop over and help her in it now). Good companies recognize good people and can be flexible enough to keep/hire them. 

 

If only it were more common...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Good companies recognize good people and can be flexible enough to keep/hire them. 

 

If only it were more common...

 

The forces of Good are under attack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ixaera said:

 

Maybe not, but if you have connections there and you've got some strong skills that suit the company, some places will straight up make you fit. Not always, maybe not even often, but it could be they have an idea for a sort of custom fit role? Hard to say, since you pointed out their role descriptions have a lot of copy pasta. I'm not one to get any hopes up, but it might not be as big of a waste of time after all, maybe.

 

Different scenario, but a girl here was bored in her position because it required no brain for day to day work. She applied elsewhere, got an offer, gave her notice, and they created a role here that fit her and would use her skills. And gave her a huge pay bump. There was no role before she had it created for her (and I'm trying to hop over and help her in it now). Good companies recognize good people and can be flexible enough to keep/hire them. 

 

If only it were more common...

 

I don't mean to be negative, it's just that I never intentionally apply for mid-level positions in a field for which I have no title or dedicated duties on my resume (waste of everybody's time, lbr) and I freaked out that maybe I'd somehow "fooled" HR of a bank into thinking I was worth the time to interview for a job that may involve managing other people lol. I don't think that's the case anymore until I get there and they start asking about my prior experience in helping train new employees at least~

 

12 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

 

The forces of Good are under attack.

 

That is a (harr) good way of putting it....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urgan said:

That is a (harr) good way of putting it....

 

One piece of wisdom I read a long time ago explained that certain doors are held by good people who will only hold those doors open for other good people.

 

(In the mean time - Just be patient.....)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

 

One piece of wisdom I read a long time ago explained that certain doors are held by good people who will only hold those doors open for other good people.

 

(In the mean time - Just be patient.....)

 

I want to believe that--the trouble comes in with confronting the reality that greater economic forces are disincentivizing companies from taking risks and hiring people with less experience to develop exactly the kind of people they need themselves. A casual search will show you there are no shortage of posting for people with >3 years experience in the software world. Even entry level for, say, programming, still stipulates a year of experience in application development. Well that's great for anyone who jumped into that sector right away or who maybe got an internship. I had the misfortune of not feeling like that's what I really wanted to do when I got out of college--as far as programming goes, I still am really not head over heels in love with it--if someone would take me, I'd do it and be far from miserable, mind, just not like how I feel about QA. I didn't really realize that was a job I could have or how fun it is when you're in the industry and it's a complex puzzle, not some toy project that feels like a joke to test. I enjoyed it well enough, it just wasn't going to be useful for anyone but us, so not the same feeling. 

 

I'm human, I look at this reality that is stacked 98.2% against someone like me who is changing jobs (for the third time....ugh, dumb Dumb DUMB) in a shrinking economy and, well, it's extremely depressing coming from a position of unemployment. It's a daily exercise to remind myself that God will punch a hole in the wall and slot me in where I'm supposed to be when both the "universe" and I are aligned for Him to do so--that means I have to keep applying to jobs, staying tuned into potential inspiration for places to look for jobs, and whatnot or it 100% will not happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urgan said:

I want to believe that--

 

And that's how you stay on the Light Side! :)

(never mind my Challenges have gone Dark Side)

 

In CRPG's I cannot play Evil characters.  Period.

(We had this discussion a long time ago.  I remember now!)

 

2 minutes ago, Urgan said:

the trouble comes in with confronting the reality that greater economic forces are disincentivizing companies from taking risks and hiring people with less experience to develop exactly the kind of people they need themselves.

 

Over here, I am getting WAY too old to be the kid.  Looking around my industry, where are the kids?

 

4 minutes ago, Urgan said:

changing jobs (for the third time....ugh, dumb Dumb DUMB)

 

I am on my sixth job over here.  Two in my home province of Manitoba and one each in California, Wisconsin, Mississippi and Minnesota.  So it looks like I am averaging 3 years per job and am way overdue here.

 

Last time I heard from HH, she wanted to move me to the Chicago area, but I felt I would have the same issues there as I would here - among other issues.  Anyway.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

And that's how you stay on the Light Side! :)

(never mind my Challenges have gone Dark Side)

 

In CRPG's I cannot play Evil characters.  Period.

(We had this discussion a long time ago.  I remember now!)

 

Playing Evil side rakes every nerve in my body.

 

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

Over here, I am getting WAY too old to be the kid.  Looking around my industry, where are the kids?

 

Getting bachelors degrees in pottery~ 

 

Seriously, it is a problem in many places and it's not good.

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I am on my sixth job over here.  Two in my home province of Manitoba and one each in California, Wisconsin, Mississippi and Minnesota.  So it looks like I am averaging 3 years per job and am way overdue here.

 

Last time I heard from HH, she wanted to move me to the Chicago area, but I felt I would have the same issues there as I would here - among other issues.  Anyway.....

 

I should clarify--career change, not just working for a different company--retail associate to software support slave to engineering tech to QA engineer?? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Urgan said:

Sitting in a hot car in the parking lot. It's almost go time!

 

15 hours ago, ixaera said:

 

good luck!!

 

Yes.  This.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6-22-2016

tumblr_inline_o8xkz62YVA1sstmc7_500.gif

Wish this had been an option

 

Lifting

-

 

Aikido

In spite of how I felt, I did indeed go to aikido. The session was all about dealing with a theoretical knife attack by implementing the ikkyo or kotegaeshi throws based on whether uke felt like playing along or resisting, and of course disarming at the end of the technique. I needed the practice pinning at the end of kotegaeshi tenkan.

 

Recovery

Protein: 20/20 - 124g

Biscuits: 1/2

 

Food

Made truffle mac 'n cheese + minced mushrooms and it was extremely good.

 

Sleep

Not good, not good at all, what with all the worrying about the firing squad I was going to be walking into.

 

Mobility

Nothing beyond the warm-up in aikido.

 

Adulting

Went to the job interview, survived that, somehow did not cry afterward. Cycled dishes, made food...and that’s about it.

 

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

*Crosses fingers*

 

18 hours ago, ixaera said:

 

good luck!!

 

2 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

 

Yes.  This.  Good luck!

 

Yeah.....thanks guys. It really did not go well and I have no hope of ever getting a call-back. FYI, though, the position was for someone to focus on the performance of the software being tested--not so much random bugs as issues that might cause the website or application to not be up and available for use, not able to handle X users doing Y different tasks within the software such that there is lag or other unexpected behavior. That's the only good news, not getting this job isn't missing on bug-hunting. Still doesn't really help my feelings about it much, but there it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.  Job interviews that really aren't The Thing you are either good at or want to do are just.... awkward.

 

Solidarity, sister.  Hang in there~ <3

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am becoming a seasoned pro at reading verbal and nonverbal cues that it'll be a cold day in hell before... Can you put Taking Rejection as a job skill on one's resume? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urgan said:

an you put Taking Rejection as a job skill on one's resume?

 

Absolutely! Just write "exceptional ability to accept and grow from constructive criticism" or maybe "tough-minded candidate with sharp interpersonal skills"?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ixaera said:

 

Absolutely! Just write "exceptional ability to accept and grow from constructive criticism" or maybe "tough-minded candidate with sharp interpersonal skills"?

 

Lol. I am halfway considering this, but I wonder if that's just the interview equivalent of asking God to give one patience....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I am becoming a seasoned pro at reading verbal and nonverbal cues that it'll be a cold day in hell before... Can you put Taking Rejection as a job skill on one's resume? 

 

13 minutes ago, ixaera said:

 

Absolutely! Just write "exceptional ability to accept and grow from constructive criticism" or maybe "tough-minded candidate with sharp interpersonal skills"?

 

Sounds like my social life! :lol:

 

Taking rejection as a job skill - Sales, especially if you have an inventory of other interpersonal skills to go with it.  Relationship building is one of them.

 

Bouncing back after *so* close but no cigar - Recruiter.  So close!  This deal would have put $30K in the bank for you and it fell through at the last minute.  Once again.  Relationship building.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sam Ashen said:

Sounds like my social life! :lol:

 

If your social life is like my attempts to get into QA life....I am so sorry. 

 

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

Taking rejection as a job skill - Sales, especially if you have an inventory of other interpersonal skills to go with it.  Relationship building is one of them.

 

Bouncing back after *so* close but no cigar - Recruiter.  So close!  This deal would have put $30K in the bank for you and it fell through at the last minute.  Once again.  Relationship building.

 

Those really hurt the most. You get all that optimism and hope stuff building up and then WHAM, all the life is crushed out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Went to the job interview, survived that, somehow did not cry afterward. Cycled dishes, made food...and that’s about it.

This plus Aikido sounds like you did plenty to me. After all, emotional stress is hard to deal with, so good job!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dagger said:

This plus Aikido sounds like you did plenty to me. After all, emotional stress is hard to deal with, so good job!

 

Yeah, that was my thought, too. One can only do so much in a day. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Urgan said:

If your social life is like my attempts to get into QA life....I am so sorry. 

 

There was a detailed discussion of this subject on a friend's thread.  Fortunately his birthday came around and we moved on to better subjects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

 

There was a detailed discussion of this subject on a friend's thread.  Fortunately his birthday came around and we moved on to better subjects.

 

Some people make making friends and building relationships look as easy as falling out of bed. For others....not so much. Considering it's deemed normal to have a posse of six+ friends nearby to hang with, I've often felt like the oddball because having one or two at a stretch is my comfort zone because the minute I get in a crowd I basically end up listening most of the time. Not sure if this is you or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Some people make making friends and building relationships look as easy as falling out of bed. For others....not so much. Considering it's deemed normal to have a posse of six+ friends nearby to hang with, I've often felt like the oddball because having one or two at a stretch is my comfort zone because the minute I get in a crowd I basically end up listening most of the time. Not sure if this is you or not.  

 

Noted that you went straight to who I hang out with on a daily and weekly basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.