Just now, ixaera said:

ooo

But still, no sleep is balls :(

I managed to get some sleep, more than 3 hours because of the stretch between 5 and 10AM, but how much exactly beyond that I'm not sure. Oh well. I did have a good time late last night--an hour of Ushio and Tora, brainstorming for and writing on my outline for the first time in months. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

I'm doing SOME things today, of which squats are not one. I'm going to repeat 162 next week for Reasons.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

7-23-2016

tumblr_mp149kjQxB1rlpnm6o1_400.jpg

In my stomach

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,110

Protein - 121

Variance - 0/1

The day started out with me not being very hungry or particularly motivated to get out of the house. I slept maybe as much as 7 hours or so, but it was broken up and didn't really do much for me. Of course I went to the gym anyway, because one does not simply go to the gym when one "feels like it." After that session, funny thing, I discovered I can eat a 3/4lb brisket/pastrami sandwich. That's where half of the calories came from, also. The rest came from a large smoothie I was working on all evening long, some jerky, and two eggs. Not a balanced set of meals, not healthy, don't care because the bigger priority was not giving into the whole "oh, I'll just sit here and starve because food is uninteresting" thing that comes 'round every once in a while.

Mobility!

Hips - 8/12

Neck - 10/12

Epsom salt soak was inevitable today, poked at my right knee a bit. That's all. I am really enjoying not hurting anywhere, well that's about to change given that Shark Week has truly arrived. Sigh.

Lifting

Just Say NO to Thoracic Flexion

Squat - NA

BP -    45 1x5 - belted

60 1x3 - belted

70 1x1 - belted

81 1x3 - belted

OHP - NA

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

187.5 3x3 - belted

PC -   NA

I decided before even hitting the gym that I was going to ax squats for the day and focus on the other lifts, because of my knee. My right knee decided it would hurt on its medial side (adductors are involved, I am convinced), when it hadn't the previous day. I can only figure maybe when I banged it on the tub on Friday it set this up? Not sure, no bruise or mark on the inside of the knee to serve as a smoking gun for this theory. Whatever actually caused it, whether squat mishap from Thursday, the tub on Friday, or just generally poor recovery leading into Saturday, I decided based on how irritated it felt and the intensity of 162, that I could do worse than simply repeat the squat progression from last week and get 180 with stronger knees.

Bench was way harder than it ought to have been, but then I am incredibly deficient in upper body strength. The first deadlift work set felt HEAVY, then I realized I used DOH grip for the set. WHOOPS. Okay, then...switching to mixed and tightening up my back for the pulls, the other two sets were easy. Chest up is the best cue ever. I worked on dad's deadlift form, too, had a couple of breakthroughs as to why he might be wanting to roll the bar forward (he wasn't really lowering his hips much at all, so he's been kinda SLDLing up to 175 this whole time, LOL. Strength and mobility training, I guess...)

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 8/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility - x

Did my forward/back rolls, shikko, and breakfalls today. I did better at them this week than last, where I had a pretty bad form hiccup to work out and this time I feel more comfortable with my head position--no more rolling over my head, lol.

@ixaera challenged me to do 22 push-ups for 22 days to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. Soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

While donating money is not part of the challenge, checkout these charities if you feel inclined to further support our veterans: 22kill.com,stop22.org,battledawgs.org

Days complete: 4

• Like 1

7-24-2016

200.gif

That tired old meme, but really it doesn't deserve any less

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,683

Protein - 123

Variance - 1/1

I finally used a variance, lol. Ate a lot of Pernil, it is such a good base for other recipes, too.

Mobility!

Hips - 8/12

Neck - 10/12

Worked more on Mike than myself--we're making some progress at least. I did roll my feet because they were feeling super tight. Poked my own calves and knees a bit, but that's it.

Lifting

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 8/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility - x

-

@ixaera challenged me to do 22 push-ups for 22 days to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. Soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

While donating money is not part of the challenge, checkout these charities if you feel inclined to further support our veterans: 22kill.com,stop22.org,battledawgs.org
Days complete: 4 - failed because of Shark Week. Boo.

It was chore day, got a good bit of cleaning and laundry done. Mike came home feeling ill, but the symptoms weren't serious, so we took care of that and he took a long nap. Seemed to get him mostly straightened out. Sadly, today began the first true day of Shark Week, which was lame, but better by far than it beginning next week right when I'm going for that interview. Ugh. Small favors. There was a bright spot in that lately I've started back to working on my story outline after at least a six month "break," lol.

• Like 1

WEEK 3 DEBRIEF

giphy.gif

What is wrong with my arms??

Recovery

Food!

AVG Cals - 2,350

AVG Protein - 128

Variance - 1/1

7/18/16                                   7/25/16

Weight: 115.8 lbs                  Weight: 117.2 lbs (+1.4lbs)

Waist: 23.0"                           Waist: 23.8" (+.8")

Hips: 31.8"                             Hips: 32.0"  (+.2")

Biceps(L/R): 10.1"/10.3"        Biceps(L/R): 10.0"/10.1" (-.1", -.2")

Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/9.3"         Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/9.0" (NA,, -.3")

Thighs(L/R): 20.1"/20.4"        Thighs(L/R): 20.1"/20.4" (NA, NA) 

Calves(L/R): 11.8"/11.7"        Calves(L/R): 11.8"/11.7" (NA, NA)

Macros are still very close. This is what bloat looks like, while the rest of me was hilariously close to to the exact same as last week. I guess I'm also bumping against being as lean as I can be without outright cutting. I mean, with those numbers it's about as consistently small as it'd be healthy to expect given my progression in lifting. Also: WTF, arms? MOAR WORK NEEDED.

Mobility!

Hips - 8/12

Neck - 10/12

Gotta play catch-up with my hips, which will be tricky, but I think I can do it. Massage day is on the horizon...

Lifting

I think it's safe to say I've proven a couple things this week: the extra volume is doing good things for Intensity Day squats, and I have found my new favorite squat stance. Bad news is I had to ax squatting on Saturday due to recovery issues and experimentation leading to a couple rather poor reps. Ah well, next week is another chance.

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 8/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility

Tenchinage and kokyunage/iriminage got highlighted this week. A lot of refinement went down, tenchinage and kokyunage both are feeling strong, while iriminage is feeling slightly less weak. MOAR WORK NEEDED. Ukemi is going rather well, I think I'm consistently decent enough to say that my off-the-mat training is actually making a noticeable difference.

22 Pushups Days complete: 4

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Hope you get some rest soon. The only thing that works for me to rest my unquiet brain is to slowly count backwards from 100 and then went get I get lost in thought I start back at 100 again, repeat until unconscious. 

Thanks, usually it's very self-correcting, but sometimes we go through a stretch of sleep being elusive. My brain is very prone to bouncing around like a hyperactive child in a Chuck E Cheese when it is time to sleep, fortunately it doesn't take long to conk out so long as I have control over when I get up. Unfortunately, my grip on that is slipping a bit, so gonna need to work on that.....

I've been learning a lot following your analysis of your lifting. I'm glad that the most recent adjustments seem to be paying off.

Switching to a subject that I actually understand, iriminage is a complex technique. Both people have to move in spirals for it to work. The most common form of iriminage applies to a situation where uke attacks, misses, and turns toward nage to attack again. Keeping close as both people turn can be challenging. There is also a direct style of iriminage. It is "simple" but requires excellent timing. I like tenchinage. So many variations.

Yay for seeing the benefits of your extra ukemi practice! You are smart to take time to do ukemi at your own pace where you can concentrate on good form. Too often in class people are focused on the techniques and not on the ukemi. 

Good luck with your interview!

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I've been learning a lot following your analysis of your lifting. I'm glad that the most recent adjustments seem to be paying off.

It's a bit like watching an addled person with a bucket on his head slowly walking into the same wall over and over again, I imagine, lol. We'll see if I can manage to turn the corner.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Switching to a subject that I actually understand, iriminage is a complex technique. Both people have to move in spirals for it to work. The most common form of iriminage applies to a situation where uke attacks, misses, and turns toward nage to attack again. Keeping close as both people turn can be challenging. There is also a direct style of iriminage. It is "simple" but requires excellent timing. I like tenchinage. So many variations.

Yay for seeing the benefits of your extra ukemi practice! You are smart to take time to do ukemi at your own pace where you can concentrate on good form. Too often in class people are focused on the techniques and not on the ukemi. 

The moving of the feet plus the moving of the hands = something gets lost in the literal shuffle. I'm improving, but sloooooowly. Such awkward. Direct iriminage? Curious now. Tenchinage is great. White belt uke ended up on the floor blinking, all like "that's it?" I don't think anybody knows what's happening the first time they uke the technique, yeah?

Ukemi intimidates me way more than the technique, because there is no guarantee you can script that stuff, and the tiny matter of it being the thing one relies on to save one's bacon in the event nage Does It Wrong.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Good luck with your interview!

djfiadjfaei it's next Wednesday! So weird! 

• Like 1

7-25-2016

tumblr_oa9pkwV7xE1s9hagko1_500.gif

Sounds about right

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,198

Protein - 124

Variance - 1/1

Tasty tasty Mediterranean Chicken and Coconut-dill sauce made on the fly in the middle of the day before I ran off to train with dad, etc. 

Mobility!

Hips - 8/12

Neck - 11/12

Did some good neck stretching and massage in the car while stuck in traffic, lol.

Lifting

PC - 50 5x3

Just power cleans because as I was driving over I felt a migraine coming on--the kind massage can't help. Last time I ignored it and put the bar on my back I ended up with exquisite pain, soooo PCs only this time. The first few sets were beautiful, but sadly my form deteriorated a good bit probably because I didn't rest quite enough between sets, what with the lack of anything to sit on. Can't STAND the H-Y (bah dum pish). Oh well, progress was made and there's less bruising around my collarbone, which is tangible evidence my timing of throwing my elbows up to receive the bar is improving. Amusingly, I traded it off for significant shin/knee bruising. Ah well, a preferable situation, I suppose.

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 8/12

Rolls + Shikko - 5/4

Dojo Mobility - ✓

Went to the dojo to see what would happen re: my head. We worked on ukemi--shikko and standing forward rolls for the very first time, lol. I feel proud I managed to do it mostly right. We then went into shihonage and worked on polishing that. It's feeling pretty strong. Drove home and it was like being stabbed in the eyeballs the whole way because of the high contrast of darkness and headlights. Agh.

Days complete: 5

• Like 1

The creeping feeling of impending migraines, UGH.  Glad it didn't completely wreck your day, hooray!

That gif though~

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

7-26-2016

tumblr_oatvwz8AFX1svkfqgo1_540.gif

This is one of those times where the format of the log fails me. I had the worst hormone migraine. Ever. That anyone has ever had. All day. Starting the previous night and never really letting up until, oh, right about 9 PM. I did nothing, I ate almost nothing. No mobility (unless moving from the couch to the bed to the bathtub and back counts....), no lifting, no pushups or pullups, nothin'. And I'm letting this day just slide, because I didn't write, I didn't play any games, look at my laptop much, or generally have any fun, either. 

The only good news to be gleaned from this cluster of a day is that I'm going to try upping my magnesium dosage to see if it will have any positive effects the next time shark week visits my brain.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ixaera said:

D:

I'm glad it's better now, but wow that sucks. Sounds like you did all you could under the circumstances.

At some point, one just has to stick a bag of microwaved rice on one's head and get through the day. 

• Like 1

7-27-2016

tumblr_nvla33dnoH1s3zu6uo1_500.gif

How do fitness?

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,465

Protein - 117

Variance - 0/1

Junk food + eating over at my parents' place pre-Aikido, but still managed to hit the target despite flying by the seat of the pants.

Mobility!

Hips - 9/12

Neck - 11/12

MASSAGE DAY. I took Mike to get his very first one today, it was pretty funny. He was pretty scared, but did rather well.

Lifting

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 8/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility - x

I was test uke for my partner, as she was running through all the techniques she'll be responsible for next Wednesday. Sensei did run me through kokyunage and nikkyo practice, so I wasn't just getting taken down over and over, lol.

Days complete: 5

I will probably be back to feeling 100% tomorrow (7/29), but of course I'll give it my best shot today. Lifting is going to be interesting, given it's gone FUBAR this week. It's hard to reset this stuff.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2016 at 10:59 AM, Urgan said:

I will probably be back to feeling 100% tomorrow (7/29), but of course I'll give it my best shot today. Lifting is going to be interesting, given it's gone FUBAR this week. It's hard to reset this stuff.

Give it your best and then give it 5% more. You got this!

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Hope you are feeling ok today!!

Heehee, that first massage appointment is always a little tense - oh gosh, pun totally intended.  BAHA.

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

7-28-2016

tumblr_nxb57tJ2M41ug8jt2o1_500.gif

I got this

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,186

Protein - 109

Variance - 0/1

All leftovers, all the time. We have so much food in the fridge from the great cluster that was this week, soooo no cooking tonight?? Or this weekend?? Today's menu:

Lunch:

6 oz of salmon, a third a serving of creamy chicken pasta

Dinner:

Pulled beef, roasted potatoes and onions, broccoli, speckled butterbeans

Mobility!

Hips - 10/12

Neck - 11/12

Assisted Mike in his stretches (he acknowledged that he felt way better after yesterday, buuuut still needs external motivation...), then did some work of my own on my hips. There were some tight spots deep down where glutes and hamstrings meet, ow. Grabbed my knees for a bit of a stretch.

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

105 1x3

135 1x1

162 4x3 - belted

BP -    45 1x5 - belted

55 1x3 - belted

65 1x1 - belted

73 4x3 - belted

OHP - NA

DL -    NA

PC -   52.5 3x5 - belted

This was not a stellar moment for me, but I saw it coming, what with the half a week break and all. My squat form felt solid, no complaints from my knees or anything. All the problems were from weakness, aka poor recovery + layoff. I collapsed into one of the last reps of the final set, but I was able to push it up no problem and cranked out one more rep before racking the bar. Bench was okay, nothing incredible. But the power cleans totally bombed out. I switched my sets x reps because I just kinda wanted to get out of there (that Shark Week is still a thing....). It was a form disaster. I'm just going to call it a bad day and move on from that session...

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 9/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility - x

Did my breakfalls, guys. These didn't feel so great, either, but again, moving on. I'll worry if I'm still messing up this bad on Saturday.

Days complete: 6

Did the freakin' pushups, I've been kinda bad about that.....oh well. Story of my life this week. Today was a slow day full of not much other than that detailed here. A few household tasks, and a lot of lying down round out this day. Holding out hope that Saturday is more normal.

38 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Give it your best and then give it 5% more. You got this!

I think I at least gave it my all, in that I did the things...if not terribly well, lol.

30 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

Hope you are feeling ok today!!

Heehee, that first massage appointment is always a little tense - oh gosh, pun totally intended.  BAHA.

I'd say just a little tireder than usual, a little residual headache, but nothing to cry about.

It was also his first chiro session as well, so it was his day to get "beat on"....but it did end up making yesterday one of the best days he's had at work in a long while. The perils of car restoration.

• Like 2

Ugh, sorry to hear that the magnesium hasn't fully resolved the migraines -- I hope bumping up the dose helps next month. Nice job picking right up where you left off, though.

I had to laugh at your comment about the first massage -- it can be a bit of an awkward situation when you're not used to them. It's also very dependent on the therapist -- one that I went to made me a bit uneasy because she was working all over the place and I didn't quite know what to expect XD. I'm just used to a slower and more deliberate progression.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

9 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Ugh, sorry to hear that the magnesium hasn't fully resolved the migraines -- I hope bumping up the dose helps next month. Nice job picking right up where you left off, though.

I had to laugh at your comment about the first massage -- it can be a bit of an awkward situation when you're not used to them. It's also very dependent on the therapist -- one that I went to made me a bit uneasy because she was working all over the place and I didn't quite know what to expect XD. I'm just used to a slower and more deliberate progression.

It's funny, because I didn't expect mag to help with hormone migraines, yet there's research out there that it might in fact help those, as well. There's a small group of supplements that might be able to permanently resolve 'em. Kinda surprising. 

And you can't sell a massage with words--what are you gonna say, it hurts like hell and you may wish you were dead while on the table, but you'll feel better later??

• Like 3

7-29-2016

tumblr_oagmdjSl5w1vafnuxo1_400.gif

What Smash Bros has in common with the job market

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,470

Protein - 129

Variance - 0/1

Moar leftovers for lunch, trying to reduce the quantity of food hanging around in the fridge. We're almost to the point if we had to throw some food out due to spoilage, I wouldn't be too sad about the waste. Dinner was the best thing ever, this awesome burrito with all the dairy. I'll die happy, at least. It was so good.....

Mobility!

Hips - 9/12

Neck - 11/12

I was super stiff from the hips down, so I went through ROM with both legs to try to make it feel better. It...really didn't quite work. Sigh. 

Lifting

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 9/12

Rolls + Shikko - 4/4

Dojo Mobility - x

-

Days complete: 7

Today was a low key day. Spent most of the day at home, chilling, doing a bit of writing and whatnot. Trimmed the toe-fur of my maine coon, Harley, which was hilarious. He was initially mesmerized by the sight of the clippings falling to the floor--I was kinda scared he'd charge out of my grip and maim one of us with the scissors. Managed to make that happen without dying. Got a call at 1PM from the same recruiting company wanting to apply me to the same company I got rejected from last time, and this girl on the other end of the line was trying to hurry me up--wanting to get the hiring manager on the phone to talk to me, he wasn't available, so she wanted to set up a Skype. I didn't have a Skype account, I didn't have an iPhone to FaceTime with, and I didn't have a bra on. So she said she'd get the person who'd be working my "case" from here on out to email me, and from there we'd Skype (so they could half-truthfully tell their client that they had met me, you see...). I wasn't enthusiastic. You see, not only did this company have two positions and, even though we seemed to get along okay, chose someone over me, but they also went out and interviewed, then hired a third person over me. ...yeah. Not only do I not want to interview at this place again, if I'm honest, I don't want to be dragged by the ear into it.

Thank God for whatever reason no email arrived, because not really hype to get the shreds of my pride smashed into the pavement a SECOND time with presumably a different department. Not that I'd reject the interview, but I just...fail to see the logic here...?

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

What Smash Bros has in common with the job market

I still compare it to my social life! :lol:

EDIT:  But I guess you don't find that very funny. :(

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

Got a call at 1PM from the same recruiting company wanting to apply me to the same company I got rejected from last time, and this girl on the other end of the line was trying to hurry me up--wanting to get the hiring manager on the phone to talk to me, he wasn't available, so she wanted to set up a Skype. I didn't have a Skype account, I didn't have an iPhone to FaceTime with, and I didn't have a bra on. So she said she'd get the person who'd be working my "case" from here on out to email me, and from there we'd Skype (so they could half-truthfully tell their client that they had met me, you see...). I wasn't enthusiastic. You see, not only did this company have two positions and, even though we seemed to get along okay, chose someone over me, but they also went out and interviewed, then hired a third person over me. ...yeah. Not only do I not want to interview at this place again, if I'm honest, I don't want to be dragged by the ear into it.

Thank God for whatever reason no email arrived, because not really hype to get the shreds of my pride smashed into the pavement a SECOND time with presumably a different department. Not that I'd reject the interview, but I just...fail to see the logic here...?

Ewwwwwww

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

22 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I still compare it to my social life! :lol:

EDIT:  But I guess you don't find that very funny. :(

Dating/relationships can be hard like that. It's sorta funny and sorta not. I don't wish that situation on people who aren't specific family members, lol. 

24 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Ewwwwwww

So I'm not crazy, this is a stupid deal, right?

• Like 2