Completely forgot to note on Sunday I did suburi practice (I counted it, just didn't mention it on the report...srsly?). It felt...really solid, for the very first time, it's coming together. A little wobbly on balance here and there, but otherwise great. I did four reps of each suburi, that was a pretty good run-through, I think.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

8-22-2016

tumblr_o6boiexW6S1uqev9mo1_400.gif

Going for a ride by way of elbow

Recovery

Food!

Calories - 2,206

Protein - 145

Sugar - 39 (Dark Chocolate Truffle x 2, Rolo x 5, Peppermint x 2)

Experimented with a new idea for breakfast (that I have an idea for breakfast is the new thing around here….): cooking actual food for breakfast. I made a prototype for breakfasts involving throwing together a recipe of my own, heavily influenced by a Crossfit meal prep video. It’s pretty simple:

1 lb ground beef

1.5 lb ground pork

1 tbsp olive oil

6 oz spinach, chopped

1 tsp garlic powder

8 eggs

1. Sautee the meat together in a pan

2. While meat is browning, cook spinach together with olive oil

3. When meat is mostly cooked through, add the garlic powder and spinach

4. Crack the eggs in a bowl, whisk, add to the pan, and stir until the egg is evenly distributed and mostly cooked through

Dead simple, scarcely needs the recipe. I think it does the job; Mike, who is accustomed to sugary cereal in the morning, said it tasted good but might be too “rich” for the morning….I think he just wants his cereal...

Mobility!

Hips: 9/12

Upper Back Yoga: 5/8

-

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 18/24

30 minutes late getting out of bed. Tireds.

Lifting

PC - 45 1x5

57.5 3x3

I went to the effort of procuring an older bar for power cleans at the H Y and it made a great deal of difference. I need to put more mental emphasis on jumping; in the pursuit of straight arms for the pull, I haven’t done enough to make sure I’m actually jumping with enough force. Power cleans requires too much braining...

Aikido

Standing F./B. Rolls: 9/12

Bokken Suburi: 6/8

Ukemi Undo: 3/4

Shikko: 3/4

Side Breakfalls: 3/4

Dojo Days: Y

Lots of stretching before the session began; we practiced ikkyo, ikkyo > kotegaeshi, shihonage, shihonage > tenkan kotegaeshi take-downs against knife-wielding uke. A lot of vigorous twirling around did a number on my joints, lol. We did have quite a bit of fun at it with rotating partners, one of whom was particularly susceptible to my penchant for cracking jokes when unsure what the bleep I'm doing. Hard to do technique while giggling, oops.

Mondays are always busy: the bed gets changed, sheets/towels washed, dishes cycled, dinner made, and out the door at 2 to the H Y to train dad, then some downtime to eat dinner and get ready for Aikido. I always fall asleep quickly on a Monday, lol. That’s why not a lot of quest-based Fitness gets done today.

• Like 3

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Mondays are always busy: the bed gets changed, sheets/towels washed, dishes cycled, dinner made, and out the door at 2 to the H Y to train dad, then some downtime to eat dinner and get ready for Aikido. I always fall asleep quickly on a Monday, lol. That’s why not a lot of quest-based Fitness gets done today.

Yeah, but you get pretty much everything else under the sun done. Phew! Plus you get the sense of accomplishment after successfully completing a busy evening that warms the soul when you lay down in bed. Like yeah, I get shit done, I'm BOSS. 

macklemore.gif?w=702

• Like 3

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

8-23-2016

tumblr_mrmr9kOQUS1rk5zfdo1_400.gif

AKA Life

Recovery

Food!

Calories - 2,219

Protein - 144

Sugar - 28 (Sesame Chicken Thighs, Dark Chocolate Truffle x 2, Rolo x 1)

I made Oven-baked Sesame Chicken Thighs for dinner, rice and broccoli for accompaniment. Leftover coffee steak. It’s all good.

Mobility!

Hips: 10/12

Upper Back Yoga: 6/8

Hit the yoga and the lacrosse ball a bit, was super tired so it wasn’t a lot, but the extra mile counts, right?

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 18/24

Fail. Fell back asleep by accident. -1 hour.

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

110 1x3

140 1x1

167 2x3

BP -    45 1x5

55 1x3

55 1x1

75 2x5

OHP - NA

DL -    NA

PC -   NA

Chins - 2x3

1x4

Abbreviated session due to lack of time and not feeling the pressing need to kill myself just prior to an interview. Today is in fact not a good day to die.

Aikido

Standing F./B. Rolls: 10/12

Bokken Suburi: 6/8

Dojo Days: N

I’m rollin’, I’m rollin’, I’m rollin’ now...actually, I got forward rolls to feel better a la where I position my head during practice. I knew how already, I just needed to remind myself.

Treading water today for the most part. Got hit with some low grade but still oppressive anxiety, which as it turns out was caused by trying to do too much in too short a span. Trimmed the schedule, helped a lot. This may come as a surprise, but I like to pack my day chock full and sometimes I go overboard.

Mike came home with what I believe is a grade 1 quad strain--his work is very hazardous, yet we don’t know what actually caused this. I diagnosed him as such because he had a tight leg, there was localized pain on the middle of the quad and where it hurt was a small pink spot the size of a quarter. He had full ROM and could lunge, but it wasn’t fun. As the night wore on, his whole leg throbbed and the limp increased. I had him stay seated and made vigorous use of ice 20 on/20 off, had him drinking all kinds of water, tried to improvise compression, and nuked the area with Tiger Balm to help him get to sleep. He should be better in three days.

On 8/23/2016 at 11:56 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yeah, but you get pretty much everything else under the sun done. Phew! Plus you get the sense of accomplishment after successfully completing a busy evening that warms the soul when you lay down in bed. Like yeah, I get shit done, I'm BOSS. 

macklemore.gif?w=702

Turns out sometimes you need to be prepared for life's little curveballs...

• Like 2

Just now, ixaera said:

Urgan the muscle doctor to the rescue!

You would be shocked at how many problems I've fixed on myself that he's turned around and needed the intel for himself. Life is so bizarre. In this case, absorbing information about how to handle injury came in handy in a bit of an odd way. No bruise on him yet, but maybe it will as it heals. 

37 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Recovery

Food!

Calories - 2,219

Protein - 144

Sugar - 28 (Sesame Chicken Thighs, Dark Chocolate Truffle x 2, Rolo x 1)

I made Oven-baked Sesame Chicken Thighs for dinner, rice and broccoli for accompaniment. Leftover coffee steak. It’s all good.

I'm still over here quietly stealing and pinning your recipe posts. Don't be surprised if my next challenge has a recipe-cooking goal. I'm thinking one new "world" recipe for week. I guess anything other than standard American fare will be my definition.

I don't really love chicken thighs but I think it's because I never learned to cook them properly. Probably as a result of being a vegetarian for 10+ years. There are still a lot of meat related dishes I have no idea how to make. Last week I had to text my brother for instructions on baking ribs!

I'm a wonderful cook, but my meat repertoire is limited to mainly things you do with chicken breast and ground meat. I'm getting better with pork and beef. Oh and bacon, I can do bacon, who can't do bacon? 

P.S. if you do Pinterest I'll PM you my link. You just have to wade through that first medieval section. It goes first because it's my most popular stuff. I should probably put it second for my own ease. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm still over here quietly stealing and pinning your recipe posts. Don't be surprised if my next challenge has a recipe-cooking goal. I'm thinking one new "world" recipe for week. I guess anything other than standard American fare will be my definition.

I don't really love chicken thighs but I think it's because I never learned to cook them properly. Probably as a result of being a vegetarian for 10+ years. There are still a lot of meat related dishes I have no idea how to make. Last week I had to text my brother for instructions on baking ribs!

I'm a wonderful cook, but my meat repertoire is limited to mainly things you do with chicken breast and ground meat. I'm getting better with pork and beef. Oh and bacon, I can do bacon, who can't do bacon? 

Full disclosure, I didn't have any cooking skills until college, in which time I got good at doing a poor job of cooking a few things. We pecked around at various things, we did the brisket, salmon, and the goose that one time (HOLY OIL, BATMAN, GET A BIGGER PAN) and farted around with rice-a-roni type things. It wasn't until I got married and had to come up with 3 then 4 meals a week that I was forced to expand what I felt comfortable handling. If you want to expand your post-vegetarian repertoire, all you gotta do is make it a goal--6-8 new recipes of a meat or cooking method you've never done before would do everything to change how you feel about stuff. Not that I'm some kind of colossus of cooking, myself...

7 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Comment because you liked my posted before my edit. :D 

P.S. if you do Pinterest I'll PM you my link. You just have to wade through that first medieval section. It goes first because it's my most popular stuff. I should probably put it second for my own ease. 

Sorry, I'm unemployed, tired, and bored, which is a bad combination. Makes me prone to jump on comments. I do Pinterest, PM away~ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is 90% of why I follow Urgan's thread :D

So many delicious recipes I have stolen.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

This is 90% of why I follow Urgan's thread :D

So many delicious recipes I have stolen.

...but...but what about the gains??

tumblr_o6h1caLFKV1sh7s2so3_400.gif

• Like 4

8-24-2016

tumblr_nzvo7gpc8V1qbazqao1_500.jpg

Dat feel

Recovery

Food!

Calories - 2,359

Protein - 110

Sugar - 17 (Dark Chocolate Truffle x 2)

BURRITO. Fun story: the lady who made mine swore she didn’t believe I could eat “that big old burrito,” because "where you gonna put" it....lol.

An old favorite, Chicken Soboro Donburi again. Pro tip: if you want actual Japanese food THAT HAS HOW-TO VIDEOS in case you are intimidated, follow this blog.  Also, I would like to point out my sugar macro is sub-20 for the whole day.

Mobility!

Hips: 11/12

I was hardcore on my hips today. I broke out the timer and hit my stretches (thread the needle, happy baby) for 2x :30 each, high lunge for 1x :30, and knees to chest just for the lulz. Then I propped my legs up on the sofa and rolled glutes and hips for 5~ minutes each side, sat up on the lacrosse ball for 2~ minutes per side.

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 19/24

Lifting

-

Aikido

Standing F./B. Rolls: 10/12

Bokken Suburi: 7/8

Dojo Days: N

Missed the dojo today due to the post-interview withdrawal cost me four hours of recovery time and that makes getting things done hard. To compensate, I practiced the mess out of suburi. 4x each suburi at the very least, I think in three of four I did more than that because I either lost count (sad….) or messed up and started over without the failure counting toward my total. I also use our plank flooring to verify I ended up back in more or less the same place I started. Then I ran through them all back to back once. I’m going to at some point transition to doing them that way so I’ll program instinctual lead-in to the correct sequence instead of wanting to repeat the same suburi twice. Good for the test, whenever that comes.

Interview happened this morning, as my lapse in normal posting probably betrayed. It was an hour and eight minutes, which is more or less on target for how long they’d estimated. Turns out there IS one more person in the running, which punched all the air out of my sails. I'm supposed to learn something....next week.... 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Urgan said:

BURRITO. Fun story: the lady who made mine swore she didn’t believe I could eat “that big old burrito,” because "where you gonna put" it....lol.

LMFAO'ed at my desk.  I love that stuff.  "Where am I gonna put this oh ok just watch me Barbara."  People.

Oh boy more job waiting!!!..................  After all this you need some good news.  Seriously.  In the form of a job offer.

• Like 5

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

1 minute ago, shaarawy said:

LMFAO'ed at my desk.  I love that stuff.  "Where am I gonna put this oh ok just watch me Barbara."  People.

Part of  me wants to say, "stand still and I'll show you where I'll put it...." The other part of me wants to take the ten minutes to eat it in the line. That other part thought she was a regular comedian. Should have said, "Well, you probably don't think I can squat 182lbs, sooo...what exactly do you know?"

2 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

Oh boy more job waiting!!!..................  After all this you need some good news.  Seriously.  In the form of a job offer.

For srs.  

• Like 2

Of possible interest for everyone, but particularly @Taddea Zhaan because of that little conversation we had about sodium not long ago...

Behold, a few charts, below the spoiler:

large.weight8-25-16.JPG

114.6                    115.2                  114.6                   115.4                  113.2                    114.4                 114.6

Weight vs Sodium

large.sodium8-25-16.JPG

...I threw in calories consumed for reference

large.calories8-25-16.JPG

Therein you will see a chart of the past week's sodium, weight, and caloric intake. My weight has fluctuated strangely this week (115.4 to 113.2?) more than my intake would explain, and that made me curious. You can tell I don't track sodium at all because they're all over the place, lol--the charts speak for themselves, don't they?

Now this is just a week, but I think there are some interesting points this brings up--my intake and weight are generally very, very stable (+- 100 calories, +- .5 lb on average stable), so the drop from 115.4 to 113.2 is a 2.2lb drop, double typical behavior. I don't generally like to add a lot of salt to my food (Full disclosure: I don't track the "to taste" added salt in my cooking--how do you track a few shakes of the salt shaker accurately? Life is too short), so the vast majority of my salt intake is in the ingredients I buy. Generally speaking, I don't care about my weight that much, it's just who doesn't want to be able to reduce/eliminate bloat, right? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Should have said, "Well, you probably don't think I can squat 182lbs, sooo...what exactly do you know?"

But you are so small and slight and "toned", you must eat only salads and exist on 1000 calories per day and maybe lift tiny pink dumbbells, right!??!!!? 

... Ahhh people, never stop peopling.

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

13 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Of possible interest for everyone, but particularly @Taddea Zhaan because of that little conversation we had about sodium not long ago...

It is interesting. I definitely noticed that I am more bloated after going out to eat where there is salty food (isn't there always?). Being able to see it in charts is surely gratifying. Also, now I am curious what you were eating on the day of 6,000 mg. :abnormal:

I never used to track salt added to cooking before we had our conversation the other day. Since I usually use my 1/4 teaspoon to add salt to recipes, I'm starting to try to put it into my recipes on MFP. However, it's not like I am leveling off the teaspoon or weighing the salt to get an accurate measurement. It's just more accurate than not adding it at all. 

I'll let you know my Monday to Friday weight after tomorrow morning. So far this week it's gone back down 1#. Yesterday was a salty day though, 3500mg. 

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It is interesting. I definitely noticed that I am more bloated after going out to eat where there is salty food (isn't there always?). Being able to see it in charts is surely gratifying. Also, now I am curious what you were eating on the day of 6,000 mg. :abnormal:

I checked and the culprit was the salsa entry in my Black Bean Soup. Apparently jarred salsa is a rich source of salt. Just that jar is 4000~ or so, according to MFP. Adjusted it to a more accurate entry based on the specific kind I buy and that helped a bit. Needs more data.

5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I never used to track salt added to cooking before we had our conversation the other day. Since I usually use my 1/4 teaspoon to add salt to recipes, I'm starting to try to put it into my recipes on MFP. However, it's not like I am leveling off the teaspoon or weighing the salt to get an accurate measurement. It's just more accurate than not adding it at all. 

Sure, it's relevant to your interests to be more specific. 

6 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'll let you know my Monday to Friday weight after tomorrow morning. So far this week it's gone back down 1#. 

Data~

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

An old favorite, Chicken Soboro Donburi again. Pro tip: if you want actual Japanese food THAT HAS HOW-TO VIDEOS in case you are intimidated, follow this blog.  Also, I would like to point out my sugar macro is sub-20 for the whole day.

Mobility!

Hips: 11/12

I was hardcore on my hips today. I broke out the timer and hit my stretches (thread the needle, happy baby) for 2x :30 each, high lunge for 1x :30, and knees to chest just for the lulz. Then I propped my legs up on the sofa and rolled glutes and hips for 5~ minutes each side, sat up on the lacrosse ball for 2~ minutes per side.

Interview happened this morning, as my lapse in normal posting probably betrayed. It was an hour and eight minutes, which is more or less on target for how long they’d estimated. Turns out there IS one more person in the running, which punched all the air out of my sails. I'm supposed to learn something....next week.... 

Burrito. Always amusing when you down the whole thing and then proceed to eat whatever your friends left on their plates too.

I will cook that!

Happy baby. I love/hate it.

Yay interview. How did it go? 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

24 minutes ago, ixaera said:

data-pipe_zps1264d96a.gif

you called???

Knowledge is power, or something like that. 

15 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Burrito. Always amusing when you down the whole thing and then proceed to eat whatever your friends left on their plates too.

I will cook that!

Happy baby. I love/hate it.

Yay interview. How did it go? 

I mean, really. If I told her she looked like she could handle five burritos, that would be being judgmental or something.....

And you will like it. Simple and gets the job done. I cut out the plain old sugar because Unnecessary. Mirin is quite sweet enough, even for me.

I'm going to have to learn to love it if I ever want respectable hip ROM.

It went okay, but it could go as well as humanly possible and I still be rejected in favor of 10 year dude. Life has shown me it doesn't matter if we have good chemistry...

15 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Knowledge is power, or something like that. 

This makes me think of......

Given:

• "Time is Money"
  • "Knowledge is Power"
  • Power = Work/Time

Substitute and solve for Money:

Money = Work/Knowledge

Observe:

The limit of Money is infinity as Knowledge approaches zero.

Therefore:

The less you know the more you make, regardless of the work actually done.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Well, that explains politicians, celebrities, and geniuses who die penniless. 

• Like 3