3 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I think the two reasonable possibilities would be to either restart and move up slowly using pendlay rows in place of the dumb cable rows OR to isolate each exercise and see if one triggers a backlash (also ditching the cable rows for the barbell version). Which one sounds more sensible? 

Hypothesis-driven experiments sound reasonable -- since the cable rows are suspect, I'd ditch those and see if that's the sole problem :). And this way your chiropractor will still be happy since you're doing the other exercises (and hopefully you benefit from them, too). On the other hand, if you want to minimize the likelihood of a recurrence and aren't sure which one is the probably culprit, removing everything for now would be the way to go.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Ditching the cables and starting over with empty bar and 5lb DBs, it is. Step 2 will be isolating the exercises if the pain persists. 

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

9-6-2016

tumblr_obvfh1d6qe1vyzslbo1_500.gif

Gonna get so SWOLE

Recovery

Food!

Creamy chicken pt 3 + mixed veggies for lunch, tamale pie for dinner.

Mobility!

Morning heat: 2/28

Night cold x2: 2/28

Assistance Work: 2/16

Roll Hips/glutes: 1/12

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 2/24*

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

115 1x3

145 1x1

170 6x3

128 2x5

BP -    45 1x5

55 1x3

65 1x1

76 6x5

Chins - 3x4

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 0/12

Standing F./B. Rolls: 0/4

Dojo Days: N

Hung around the house ‘til around 2 doing random stuff, applied heat, paid a bill, did the dishes, cycled some laundry, etc. It’s weird to have dad show up on volume day and, assuming correctly that he’d fidget a lot during the session, got to the gym early and started my squats before he arrived. Good decision. We both killed it, my stuff is notable because the work set of squats is a half pound heavier than my herculean single at the end of novice phase. Just thought that was interesting. My triceps were not pleased and wanted no part of this session. Dad did squats (140lbs), press (80lbs), and deadlifts (202.5lbs). Has yet to fail a rep.

Came home and got a shower. There was much popping of cervical vertebrae at this point--think socket wrench turning behind the back of my head as far as volume of the popping goes. Not one iota of discomfort, mind you, it was just noticeable. Did my first round of icing, did two sets of chin-ups, groomed my nails, and worked on scaring up some more numbers for dad’s programming. Then more chins and dinner. First time I’ve managed to eat the entire ⅙ portion of the 9x13” casserole dish--this recipe produces some serious cornbread, guys. A bit more video watching (such as this Juggernaut video~), yet more chins, the final icing, and then time for some zzzzzz’s.

*Same as yesterday, in that I had a headache upon waking up. Got up in time, went to the bathroom, and back to bed because OW

• Like 3

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

9-7-2016

tumblr_inline_oazpkt8VEV1u175ci_500.gif

One foot in front of--OH QUADS

Recovery

Food!

LEFTOVERS-A-PALOOZA

Mobility!

Morning heat: 3/28

Night cold x2: 3/28

Assistance Work: 2/16

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 3/24

Lifting

Nada

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 1/12

Dojo Days: Y

I did pretty good today for a slug that camped the couch 3/4s of the day, beginning with getting out of bed at a decent. I was just feeling weak and a bit achy. Got the bare minimum done around the house, did my mobility work, went to Aikido and officially filled out the form for the belt test. I reviewed tenchinage, kokyunage, and iriminage during class. After class, Sensei watched my bokken suburi to verify I’m studying it right, and got the thumb’s up there. Did my pre-session stretching the best I could given the epic quad DOMS I brought with me--hooray for knee sleeves.

• Like 3

9-8-2016

tumblr_o3n0kth4Fv1v6xql5o1_400.gif

Yup, that slow

Recovery

Food!

Tamale pie + Chicken Katsu-Oyakodon  

Mobility!

Morning heat: 4/28

Night cold x2: 4/28

Assistance Work: 4/16

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 4/24

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

115 1x3

145 1x1

170 4x3

OHP - 45 1x5

51.5 4x4

DL -    135 1x5

160 1x3

197.5 3x3

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 1/12

Woke up on time, sans headache, and energetic enough to get my butt out of bed and not immediately trade it for the couch. So, already ahead of Wednesday right out of the gate.

I discovered a thing, guys. See, you don’t have to do work on the eccentric portion of the deadlift! You can just more or less drop it (you drop with it to maintain control and it falls onto padding, of course not literally dropping the weight). Wow does it make a difference and I feel like a moron for not processing this truth sooner. Anyway, the second and third sets were a lot easier than the first set. Then did my assistance stuff (shrugs, rows, and rear delts). Rows are easily the hardest of the three, because this was the first session of them, so that makes sense.

Dinner was good, but just a warning, it will mess up nearly every dish you have, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

I discovered a thing, guys. See, you don’t have to do work on the eccentric portion of the deadlift! You can just more or less drop it (you drop with it to maintain control and it falls onto padding, of course not literally dropping the weight). Wow does it make a difference and I feel like a moron for not processing this truth sooner. Anyway, the second and third sets were a lot easier than the first set. Then did my assistance stuff (shrugs, rows, and rear delts). Rows are easily the hardest of the three, because this was the first session of them, so that makes sense.

I was just watching a video about this yesterday, supposed to be good for preventing injury as well. I guess the eccentric motion is where spinal erector pulls are most likely? interesting stuff. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Coming soon:  275 pound DL!

• Like 5

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I was just watching a video about this yesterday, supposed to be good for preventing injury as well. I guess the eccentric motion is where spinal erector pulls are most likely? interesting stuff. 

I think part of why it is supposed to be safer is that if you drop it you have to reset your back for each rep, and are more likely to do the next rep with proper form. If you do touch and go, your form breaks down more over the course of a set. At least that is my two cents anyway. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

2 hours ago, ixaera said:

49 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think part of why it is supposed to be safer is that if you drop it you have to reset your back for each rep, and are more likely to do the next rep with proper form. If you do touch and go, your form breaks down more over the course of a set. At least that is my two cents anyway. 

Eccentric in deadlift is very, VERY stressful. Whether it prevents injury is something else. I am very strict about resetting between deadlift reps, but dropping it definitely forces the issue.

2 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Yes please!

• Like 2

9-9-2016

tumblr_mzy7suw5qL1qknsr6o1_400.gif

Lifting cycle got me like

Recovery

Food!

Scrounging leftovers + burrito~

Mobility!

Morning heat: 5/28

Night cold x2: 5/28

Assistance Work: 4/14*

Hips/glutes: 2/12

Sleep!

Lifting

-

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 2/12

Did my assistance work yesterday, NO pounding headache right away. Downside, I was so comfortable I fell back asleep after my alarm went off #fail Other downside, the headache did show up a couple hours later. This brings up two patterns--the post assistance work headache and the cycle of feeling like garbage on Wednesday after Volume Day, feeling okay on Thursday, feeling low on Friday, and Saturday - Monday I’m fine. Suspect the volume is getting hard to recover from.

My non-fitness day was pretty boring--cleaning the stovetop and counters, reorganizing the stuff on one of the counter segments, dishes, and grocery-getting. Otherwise, camped the couch and stared at my programming for the next three weeks.

I did my mobility work for the day and reviewed bokken suburi--my form and balance are pretty strong. Balance is a big improvement--every time I’d pivot 180 degrees there was a good chance I’d stumble and have to re-position my feet.

*rolling assistance work back to 14 because Belt. Test.

• Like 2

Things I'm going to try to do next week and going forward:

- Lighter volume at the usual weight increases--next Tuesday will be just 2x3 to give myself a break for the belt test so I'm not crippled while making the attempt; going forward, 4x3 for both volume and recovery day in a push for...

- I want to try to hit a 200lb squat in a month-ish

- After 200lbs is attempted (or I fail to get there), a true deload will be necessary

- Depending on where I am when the deload happens, it may result in a return to an adjusted TM or 4-Day TM. Still up in the air

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Headaches are stupid down with headaches 

tumblr_lvv81jW4hC1r5r5uqo1_500.gif

I am this close to brooming the stupid assistance work, I really am. Not because I think any of it is outriht BAD (I have DOMS in random muscles after I do them and it feels satisfying to do them now that I ditched cable rows, certain isolation work is good for intermediate lifters if well thought out), but I just can't live every other day with a headache. 

39 minutes ago, ixaera said:

!!!!!

Cheering you on from the intertubes!

I think I can do it, I haven't been forced into consistent singles yet, although that may start today, lol. Here goes nothing...

Reading reading reading~

If anyone can hit 200lb it is you yes????  Prepare for PR hangover!!

I'm assuming no job news yet???? ;_____;

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

9-10-2016

onnit-captain-america-barbell-plates-1.j

I'm calling you out, I'm switchin' my plates. Hell yes. I'm clearin' the floor, my beat is correct

Recovery

Food!

Leftovers + BACON DOUBLE HAMBURGER + tater tots + green tea

Mobility!

Morning heat: 6/28

Night cold x2: 6/28

Assistance Work: 6/15*

Hips/glutes: 2/12

Sleep!

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

125 1x3

160 1x1

190 5x1--PR+2.5!!

BP -    45 1x5

60 1x3

70 1x1

85 3x3

OHP - NA

DL -    135 1x5

160 1x3

207.5 1x3--PR--!!

210 1x3--PR+2.5!!

225 1x1--PR+17.5!!

PC -   NA

Chins - 3x4

On 9/9/2016 at 11:42 AM, Sam Ashen said:

I just want to put this right here.....no reason other than to let everyone know @Sam Ashen is flipping clarvoiyant. Or he knew better than me the difference my "discovery" would make. One or the other.

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 2/12

So let’s cut right to the chase--who cares about my not getting out of bed on time, mobility work, or the fact I forgot to do my rolls today?--today was Eventful in the gym, boy howdy. Before I even got started with the PRs, though, I made with the finger smashing. The moment I went into the hole with 190lbs, I knew it was time to do singles. So I did. They weren't too bad, challenging but I could definitely get out of the hole without the mid-drive one second pause. You know that feel, right? And so I got to thinking, wouldn't it be cool if I could meet or beat all my current PRs today? Yeah. So for bench, I have matched my current (and pathetic, let's be real) max of 85lbs, at least I was able to also do some volume work with it. And it wasn't quite as precarious an experience as it was with linear progression. The road to 100lb bench begins here. Oh yeah, deadlifts. They weren't on the plan for the day (chins day), buuuuut I got this really incessant wild hair to give 207.5 a try, buoyed as I was by the discovery of Dropping From Lockout. So I did, and I smashed that sucker and then yelled out loud in the gym for the first time ever. Thought to myself, hmm, that felt like 190, let's put some more weight on the bar. 210 was actually pretty tough on the second rep, but I powered through and scored a PR triple. Then I just flat out got greedy.

Two Plates Tiems, GET.

Just a single, but only because I was well aware I was dancing on a thin limb with more unplanned DL work than I'd done in a while, so I just called it at one, but I totally could have done at least one more rep. Boy were those chins hard after I crammed that dinner down my gullet, but I am officially in 3x4 territory. It isn't a one-off event. Don't worry about me getting full of myself and changing course for next week, it's still 2x3 and 4x3 all the way--Wednesday and Friday recovery hangovers are real and are really no fun at all.

Funny story: I was going to take my bad self to get a big ol' smoothie as a reward for killing it in the gym, but...got to the strip where the smoothie shop resides and apparently the power to the entire block of businesses was knocked out, including a Walgreens and Fresh Market. Management from said stores was outside convening. Bizarre day was bizarre.

*Altered counts for assistance work. Belt test + diagnosing the cause of my headaches + changing up the row exercise forces this

16 hours ago, Alanna said:

Yeowch. Hope they recover quickly, especially with the belt test coming up!

It's all good. This morning I look like a budget ET with this slightly purple finger, but it could have been so much worse and any other finger would make life supremely...challenging.

1 hour ago, shaarawy said:

Reading reading reading~

I'm well on my way~ 

GREAT WHITE NOPE. After the two fake-out calls...nothin'. They did take the posting for the job down sometime this past week (checked on Friday), however....

• Like 6

Reading reading reading~

PR hangover checking in.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

35 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Hi!

Apparently Follow doesn't mean what I think it means when it comes to battle logs.  I have a lot of catching up to do, but congrats on the PRs!

You aren't alone, sadly. It appears the forums are biased against battle logs, lol. HAI BACK. Still making with the flailing and the bokken practice. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff orange belt will throw my way, presuming I pass of course. 

29 minutes ago, Urgan said:

You aren't alone, sadly. It appears the forums are biased against battle logs, lol. HAI BACK. Still making with the flailing and the bokken practice. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff orange belt will throw my way, presuming I pass of course. 

Since I'm way behind - what kind of bokken work are you doing for your Aikido class these days? 

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

11 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Since I'm way behind - what kind of bokken work are you doing for your Aikido class these days? 

We have these four bokken suburi that are part of the requirements for orange belt, and they're all very, very similar with just the footwork changing:

1 - vertical cut > step forward > stave > pivot > vertical cut

2 - vertical cut > crossstep forward > stave > pivot > vertical cut

3 - vertical cut > step backward > stave > pivot > vertical cut

4 - vertical cut > crosstep backward > stave > pivot > vertical cut

Each is done twice such that you return to the starting position. Really simple stuff. 

9-11-2016

tumblr_m1p7adPtSK1qa6tg8o1_500.jpg

Mostly this

Recovery

Food!

Working on cleaning out the leftovers (last of the tamale pie); Kill City Chili--wild game variant

Mobility!

Morning heat: 7/28

Night cold x2: 7/28

Assistance Work: 6/15

Hips/glutes: 3/12

Sleep!

Lifting

-

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 3/12

Sunday is always some proportion of catch-up and vegetatin', depending on how much catch-up actually needs to happen. In this case, a lot of time was needed to clean the bathroom (it was yuck) while doing the laundry thing. Then there was much flopping on the couch while awaiting Mike to come home so we could do the grocery shopping thing. We ended up with ground bison as the primary ingredient for our potential dinner. In the car, I magicked up the recipe and we got the few ingredients we didn't already have to make it. The wild game used in the chili was in fact half bison and half venison. The venison came from our freezer, provided by our neighbor's hunting. Whenever we make stuff from meat he provides, we tend to invite his family over to partake in an impromptu fashion. There was much raving over the meal, as it is additionally unusual in that it relies on curry powder to carry the dish, rather than cumin. Depending on the kind of curry powder you use, it might be sweet or face melting. In this case, it was red curry powder, so it was on the sweet side, lol. They brought over wild dove cooked via their coworker's Argentinean recipe and it was RIDICULOUS. Also, FYI, dove has an insanely high protein to calorie ratio.

23 minutes ago, Urgan said:

There was much raving over the meal, as it is additionally unusual in that it relies on curry powder to carry the dish, rather than cumin. Depending on the kind of curry powder you use, it might be sweet or face melting. In this case, it was red curry powder, so it was on the sweet side, lol. They brought over wild dove cooked via their coworker's Argentinean recipe and it was RIDICULOUS. Also, FYI, dove has an insanely high protein to calorie ratio.

I LOVE game meats! So awesome you have a hook up! I've never tried dove before, that sounds interesting.

WEEK 1 DEBRIEF

tumblr_nbveapjpQB1r4ueyro1_500.jpg

It's a metaphor for life

Recovery

Food!

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein   /   Sugar   / Sodium

AVG    2501      190           135          131             30         2,931

TGT    2300      230           102          115           100         3,000

DLTA    201       -40             33            16            -70             -69

A little high, but I know which day did it...I present to you Saturday's macros, wherein I weighed 114.4lbs:

m2AxeMJF7r7299AkvwoA2d04Ifej1gvRexMvFg_LdaYnWyygejHnYfV61OwTgJ4BTAIaFbCQAlKqDLjO7RPbIIcXhEevjmy6zInA-YtT4yjpHIFPMuFkXUX80CbAZRTYxG11Rm7i

The next morning I woke up at 114.0 lbs. Thought that was kind of funny. This week has been a strong maintenance week, weight-wise:

3hvu2R0RZNoJPRlGe94SS2CgC3LtvUViaGzwd_l69yvnVxcTaCS8wBWBzzG5BnBzD4eNKqxF2XGbjR_pfVkieEVi7PUpdzHyYmnjYLRjL0HIy7dm0PsGt5H1XrOX_i3GBsORmvkf

Mobility!

Morning heat: 25%

Night cold x2: 25%

Assistance Work: 40%

Hips/glutes: 25%

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 17%

Lifting

Squat - 187.5 > 190

BP -   85 > 85

OHP - 65.5 > 65.5

DL -   207.5 > 225

PC -   62.5 > 62.5

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 25%

Standing F./B. Rolls: 0%

As you can see, I'm mostly on target, but there are a few places where I am (very) behind. Next week, I'm set up to hopefully do big things. Belt test, PRs, maybe just MAYBE hearing a final word about this job....

• Like 5