8 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I LOVE game meats! So awesome you have a hook up! I've never tried dove before, that sounds interesting.

The protein counts are crazy on the wild animals, I tell you. We are doing everything we can to ensure there is never a thought that it might be a waste of resources to send some of that can't-buy-it-in-a-store deliciousness our way. Dropped a hint that some wild boar might be nice.... I understand that may be rather easy to scare up. 

If you ever get any dove--salt, pepper, garlic, oil. The meat really speaks for itself and it isn't a "gamey" tasting meat at all. 

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Oh and I just got an email from my maybe-job, explaining that they have had some happenin's and goings-on and STILL have not made a decision. Supposedly they're going to get right on that this week (recall, if you will, the job posting has been taken down, so they surely know they have their choice amongst the people they've interviewed...), which is good since I have an interview scheduled with Home Depot next Tuesday (another job to which I applied before these guys asked me to come in for the first in-person interview).....

Guys, this is madness. 

• Like 3

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

Oh and I just got an email from my maybe-job, explaining that they have had some happenin's and goings-on and STILL have not made a decision. Supposedly they're going to get right on that this week (recall, if you will, the job posting has been taken down, so they surely know they have their choice amongst the people they've interviewed...), which is good since I have an interview scheduled with Home Depot next Tuesday (another job to which I applied before these guys asked me to come in for the first in-person interview).....

Guys, this is madness. 

Just how long have they been stringing you along?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Just how long have they been stringing you along?

How long since which step,  lol? A little timeline for you:

June 9 - invitation to video interview

June 10 - did the video interview

June 24 - a 'touching base' email

July 24 - invitation to 1st in-person interview

August 3 - 1st in-person interview

August 8 - invitation to group interview + presentation

August 12 - group interview + presentation

August 19 - invitation to final interview

August 24 - final interview

August 30 - first fake-out call

September 2 - second fake-out cal

September 12 - latest "touching base" email

So...from the first email correspondence with HR 'til now, 3 months. 

On 9/11/2016 at 0:17 PM, Urgan said:

So let’s cut right to the chase--who cares about my not getting out of bed on time, mobility work, or the fact I forgot to do my rolls today?--today was Eventful in the gym, boy howdy. Before I even got started with the PRs, though, I made with the finger smashing. The moment I went into the hole with 190lbs, I knew it was time to do singles. So I did. They weren't too bad, challenging but I could definitely get out of the hole without the mid-drive one second pause. You know that feel, right? And so I got to thinking, wouldn't it be cool if I could meet or beat all my current PRs today? Yeah. So for bench, I have matched my current (and pathetic, let's be real) max of 85lbs, at least I was able to also do some volume work with it. And it wasn't quite as precarious an experience as it was with linear progression. The road to 100lb bench begins here. Oh yeah, deadlifts. They weren't on the plan for the day (chins day), buuuuut I got this really incessant wild hair to give 207.5 a try, buoyed as I was by the discovery of Dropping From Lockout. So I did, and I smashed that sucker and then yelled out loud in the gym for the first time ever. Thought to myself, hmm, that felt like 190, let's put some more weight on the bar. 210 was actually pretty tough on the second rep, but I powered through and scored a PR triple. Then I just flat out got greedy.

Two Plates Tiems, GET.

That deadlift...

*pulls out another smug pony gif*

TyxC15S.gif

Next stop, 2x bw?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

12 minutes ago, Alanna said:

That deadlift...

*pulls out another smug pony gif*

TyxC15S.gif

Next stop, 2x bw?

2xBW is 228lbs, lol. That I think I can do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

2xBW is 228lbs, lol. That I think I can do.

I'm impressed by your restraint in not throwing on the three extra pounds and crossing it off your list XD.

Also meant to say -- I approve of how your macros color coding is opposite that of MFP's.

• Like 2

Mmmm game meat.  I love ground bison.  I've only had venison in a gravy form but it was amazing and I would totally nom it otherwise.  Wild boar I had in salami form once and it was the best dang salami I'd ever eaten.

FOOD <3

*also covertly sets traps for the doves in her backyard~*

3 months.  ... Please, job.  Pls.

tumblr_inline_ocimceCt281sy5lf0_500.gif

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

9-12-2016

tumblr_nit1i83k131qcb0eeo1_500.jpg

No regrets

Recovery

Food!

Moar chili + dove meat + bagel; chicken picata (at my parents' house)

Mobility!

Morning heat: 8/28

Night cold x2: 7/28

Assistance Work: 6/15

Hips/glutes: 3/12

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 5/24

Lifting

PC - 45 1x5

55 1x3

65 2x3

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 3/4*

Standing F./B. Rolls: 0/4

Dojo Days: Y

I did a Bad Thing....I bought a half dozen blueberry bagels. Because blueberries and carbs. Turns out the Panera Bread variant of bagel doesn't really have that much sugar (8g), that I couldn't get that level of sugar while eating the fruit by itself, and is a really good caloric snack presuming my stomach doesn't decide it no longer will permit large round bread objects to grace its interior--so far, so good there. BLUEBERRIES.

Poor planning means I couldn't get my cold therapy in because of the Monday Business, oh well. After some serious contemplation, I'm just going to ax assistance work until such time as I can get rid of these random eye-use headaches that have popped up since adding them lo these two weeks ago. I am at peace with this, as I could use a light week while hopefully FINALLY getting this job thing sorted out and the belt test out of the way.

LOOK MA, I GOT OUT OF BED. The times I fell back asleep weren't laziness, they were the feeling like I hadn't really gotten enough sleep. Probably an artifact of difficulties recovering from the gym. There might be some things I can do to mitigate this (like eat more), but either way it's only three more weeks after this one before I'll be deloading. So, speaking of lifting, I did some power cleans. I'm making it a point to begin each set in the rack position to remind myself of what it feels like, and I discovered something. My warm-up set was good and the 55lb set seemed darn near flawless. My form began to break down quickly at 65. Not so much it wasn't recognizable as a clean, just really sub-optimal by the second set. I think the last thing I need to really focus on is getting my delts forward so the weight will stand a better chance of landing on them.

This was my final practice pre-test. We did some partner stretching while white belts worked on ukemi, putting someone else through ikkyo, nikkyo, kotegaeshi, and sankyo pins and then switching places. Nobody was available to work with me so Sensei stood in. WOW the stretching, lol. She knew how to take it right to the edge of me patting out and in a case or two I did. After that, we did technique work and I had the opportunity to briefly review each of the techniques. adfaejfeajiorga r

*I modified suburi given I am testing this on Wednesday. Derped out with my programming of that, should have taken it into account. If immediately given new weapons work to do post-test, I will reactivate this quest

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, shaar said:

Mmmm game meat.  I love ground bison.  I've only had venison in a gravy form but it was amazing and I would totally nom it otherwise.  Wild boar I had in salami form once and it was the best dang salami I'd ever eaten.

FOOD <3

*also covertly sets traps for the doves in her backyard~*

One of my friends does a lot of hunting - primarily elk and deer, but he always has a bear tag, too.  A couple of years ago he got one, and we had some pepperoni made from it.   It was better than the venison.  Apparently it'd been a really good fruit year in that area, so it was sweet, not gamey at all. I'd be really interested to try the boar salami.

@Urgan - have you ever read anything by Hank Shaw?  He does a lot of interesting recipes based around hunting, fishing and foraging/gardening. 

• Like 2

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

1 minute ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

@Urgan - have you ever read anything by Hank Shaw?  He does a lot of interesting recipes based around hunting, fishing and foraging/gardening. 

That sounds like a thing I might need....

1aj2jt.jpg

• Like 1

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/wild-pig-recipes/wild-boar-charcuterie/wild-boar-salami-california/

(hahaha after i posted this i saw it was hank shaw!)

Seems easy enough, right guys?.... Well maybe not the easiest for us non-salami-makers, but holy moly does it look good.

The boar salami I had was very tender and mouth-melty, no gaminess at all, I was really surprised.

4 minutes ago, shaar said:

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/wild-pig-recipes/wild-boar-charcuterie/wild-boar-salami-california/

Seems easy enough, right guys?.... Well maybe not the easiest for us non-salami-makers, but holy moly does it look good.

The boar salami I had was very tender and mouth-melty, no gaminess at all, I was really surprised.

Adding that site to my feed to observe his postings. I can text "suggestions" to my neighbors, lol....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Adding that site to my feed to observe his postings. I can text "suggestions" to my neighbors, lol....

I am picturing a very small drive-through window on the side of a house with various wild game meats in raw and salami form hanging inside...........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shaar said:

I don't have any doves, but I'm wanting to try the enchiladas in the latest recipe. Amazingly enough, Qfc (Kroger in other areas) has hatch chilis, which I do prefer to Anaheim, even if they are roughly the same plant.

• Like 1

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

1 minute ago, shaar said:

I am picturing a very small drive-through window on the side of a house with various wild game meats in raw and salami form hanging inside...........

It's called send pregnant woman recipes of things I will make if her husband catches X for us, lol. 

1 minute ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I don't have any doves, but I'm wanting to try the enchiladas in the latest recipe. Amazingly enough, Qfc (Kroger in other areas) has hatch chilis, which I do prefer to Anaheim, even if they are roughly the same plant.

If you ever have the opportunity to get hold of dove, do so. It is sooooooo good. If you keep the seasoning simple, it is not confused with small chicken.

• Like 1

Finally caught up on your thread. Congratulations on the PRs! I am sure you will rock your belt test tomorrow.

All along I was thinking that it has been weeks since your interview, you are sure to have heard by now. What jerks to keep you hanging so long. I hope you get an offer from Home Depot so you can negotiate for a better salary when they finally come through.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

39 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Finally caught up on your thread. Congratulations on the PRs! I am sure you will rock your belt test tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm full of nervous about it, particularly iriminage. Too dynamic for me to feel completely comfortable with.

40 minutes ago, Mistr said:

All along I was thinking that it has been weeks since your interview, you are sure to have heard by now. What jerks to keep you hanging so long. I hope you get an offer from Home Depot so you can negotiate for a better salary when they finally come through.

This has been quite the spectacle for family and friends, indeed. If they don't let me know anything by midday on Friday, I am going to inform them I have an interview elsewhere as an effort to get them to put up or shut up. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alanna said:

I'm impressed by your restraint in not throwing on the three extra pounds and crossing it off your list XD.

Also meant to say -- I approve of how your macros color coding is opposite that of MFP's.

Somehow, SOMEHOW, I forgot to reply. SORRY, ALANNA.

Anyway, it wasn't restraint so much as it just flat did not occur to me at the time, lol. I considered 230 briefly and was all like, nah, I'd hate to end this on a fail.....

MFP is a weight-loss site. Pure and simple. The psychology underpinning the color-coding of the deltas is undeniable. They should change that shit based on what your goals are. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Somehow, SOMEHOW, I forgot to reply. SORRY, ALANNA.

Anyway, it wasn't restraint so much as it just flat did not occur to me at the time, lol. I considered 230 briefly and was all like, nah, I'd hate to end this on a fail.....

MFP is a weight-loss site. Pure and simple. The psychology underpinning the color-coding of the deltas is undeniable. They should change that shit based on what your goals are. 

Haha, no worries... you've seen how long it takes me to respond.

And you've got the colors the right way around -- lost food = lost gains. They should at least make them, say, purple instead of red... my English teachers used purple pens so we were less traumatized XD.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I have been tracking since the start of the year and MFP says I should be 239 pounds by now, but I am just over 205 pounds. :D

We had this discussion over a year ago.  You explained that MFP seems to assume that people who are trying to get bigger and stronger don't exist.

Then body image issues.  How many people are there out there who do NOT have body image issues?  If it were not for the widespread body image issues, I would not care about the color coding of the deltas.

Hmm.  More random thinking:  I have a desk job and therefore watch stock prices all day.  The color coding is same.  Green numbers mean the prices are going up.  Red numbers mean the prices are going down.  Up is good.  Down is bad.

Well.  That depends on what you are doing or what you plan to do.  If you plan to sell stock soon, then up is good.  You are getting a good price.  If you plan to buy stock soon, then down is good.  You are getting a better price.  If I have no plans to buy stock or sell stock in the near future, then I really should not care if the prices are going up or down, but am bored at work and have nothing too much better to do than to watch stock prices go up or down.

Anyway.  All this rambling.  If I am selling stock short, that is, borrowing somebody's stock to sell with the hope that the price goes down so that I can buy it back at a profit, then I want to see prices go down.  Red numbers are good!  And granted.  If I am selling stock short, I am in the minority and a lot of people might think I am a scumbag for betting against a company.  Or betting against America.

A rambling post this long deserves a video.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

14 hours ago, Alanna said:

Haha, no worries... you've seen how long it takes me to respond.

And you've got the colors the right way around -- lost food = lost gains. They should at least make them, say, purple instead of red... my English teachers used purple pens so we were less traumatized XD.

I'm sure they have the technology to flip those colors based on which goal you select. 

14 hours ago, Alanna said:

OH, and now that I've caught up on your thread -- GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BELT TEST! The 14th snuck up on me.

giphy.gif

Thanks, I am apprehensive and the intensity thereof will mount with each passing hour.

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

Also, using a red and green dichotomy is just cruel to colorblind people ;).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

They're wondering what the fuss is all about....

14 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I have been tracking since the start of the year and MFP says I should be 239 pounds by now, but I am just over 205 pounds. :D

We had this discussion over a year ago.  You explained that MFP seems to assume that people who are trying to get bigger and stronger don't exist.

Then body image issues.  How many people are there out there who do NOT have body image issues?  If it were not for the widespread body image issues, I would not care about the color coding of the deltas.

Hmm.  More random thinking:  I have a desk job and therefore watch stock prices all day.  The color coding is same.  Green numbers mean the prices are going up.  Red numbers mean the prices are going down.  Up is good.  Down is bad.

Well.  That depends on what you are doing or what you plan to do.  If you plan to sell stock soon, then up is good.  You are getting a good price.  If you plan to buy stock soon, then down is good.  You are getting a better price.  If I have no plans to buy stock or sell stock in the near future, then I really should not care if the prices are going up or down, but am bored at work and have nothing too much better to do than to watch stock prices go up or down.

Anyway.  All this rambling.  If I am selling stock short, that is, borrowing somebody's stock to sell with the hope that the price goes down so that I can buy it back at a profit, then I want to see prices go down.  Red numbers are good!  And granted.  If I am selling stock short, I am in the minority and a lot of people might think I am a scumbag for betting against a company.  Or betting against America.

Yeah, MFP is just a bit...off in its predictions. Thankfully/unfortunately, depending on who you are. And people who are trying to increase in size and muscle mass just don't, just look at their "blog" for two seconds. It's all low-cal this, and crazy variant exercise for losing weight that.

Body image "issues" is ubiquitous yet super-vague. Are you eating disordered or do you just have negative self-talk going on when you look at yourself or perhaps some vague idea that you are a half step from being behind the 8 ball that is body composition? It would be nice if the tool most of us use actually seemed to be designed by people who can conceive of the idea that more than one kind of person is interested in their site.

Stock trading is a very good analogy for we all approach the same task or subject with a very different view of what is a desirable outcome looks like.

• Like 3

9-13-2016

tumblr_nddcafWmcI1snbrkko1_500.jpg

Simple but effective

Recovery

Food!

The last morsel of wild game chili + the last bit of chicken katsu; Shrimp Creole

Mobility!

Morning heat: 9/28

Night cold x2: 8/28

Hips/glutes: 4/12

Sleep!

8:30, Out of bed: 6/24

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

115 1x3

145 1x1

173 2x3

OHP -   45 1x5

51.5 6x5

Aikido

Bokken Suburi: 4/4

Standing F./B. Rolls: 1/4

Dojo Days: N

Woke up still feeling a bit like I’m behind the sleep curve, but I did get up. Did all my mobility stuffs today. Went to the gym and did my cut rate lifts. What else is different is I actually filmed the things! Gasp. Here they are:

Warmup + first set of Squats:

First set of OHP:

Not the most glorious sets to ever be lifted, nor are they cinematographic wonders, but the important bit is I’m figuring out how to film ‘em by my lonesome. In OHP, you can see my video mount--that’s the tip of a Converse shoe, which is just the perfect width for holding my phone firmly in place. Imagine that. @spezzy let us in on this obvious-yet-not-at-all-obvious tip in her thread. Thank you for removing the final excuse for not taping my lifts. Now you all can witness the road to 200lbs firsthand, lol. The struggle is in fact real.

Oh, and I also did my ukemi and final bokken review~

• Like 7