2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Peaceful pecs are the best pecs. Just gotta learn to get along.

They usually are. I think one of them had a nightmare involving the funky chicken that took the better part of the day to get over.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Also, hi! I'm back. Nice to see you. :)

HAI.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

If you're cool with red meat, that's supposed to be a good source of iron. Beans too, come to think of it. So beef and bean burritos? y/y?

I eat the ground beef, sausage, and beans like it's going out of fashion. To speak nothing of bacon. And of course this will be the worst week ever to get temperature-related symptoms because later this week the daytime high is gonna crash into the upper 50s. Because of course it is. And our state-of-the-art-in-the-80s climate control system will compensate for this by about Sunday.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

Work minded its own business for a change.

This is totally worth celebrating, FWIW.

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

39 minutes ago, shaar said:

This is totally worth celebrating, FWIW.

Some people be like, "It's just a job!"

And I'm over here like, "Yeah, but it's MY job. And it might NOT be my job if [insert whiny ramble about current issues on my plate reaching full scale nuclear meltdown levels]. Moreover, I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or not!"

But yeah. Calm-ish ATM. Could explode violently at any time at the whims of whomever.

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

5/2/2017

giphy.gif

Me to rest day

Lift

Rest day blues.

Recover

Sugar AVG: 40 v

Lifting status: green

Aikido

Bokken - 0/4

Shadow Aikido - 0/8

Words

Writing - 0/8

Weekly To-Do

1. Research high iron foods - DONE

2. Bring box of protein bars to work- DONE

3. Check up on the usual job sites

I need to check in daily, because there's JUST enough going on that I might forget what happened and when. 

Slow-moving train wreck detected at work. Friday is gonna be some layer of Hell. Boss will be less than useless at such time.

My successes for the day include bringing protein bars to work (but did not eat one #fail), cooking two meals before bedtime, and researching high iron foods. The non-exhaustive list:

Spinach and other dark leafy greens

Red meat

Seafood

Beans

Peas

Dark chocolate

Less optimally, fortified grains (cereal, bread, pasta)

This is lolrific, because~ I inadvertently had a meal with THREE of these in it (including dessert) on Sunday. Followed up by 2 of them on Monday. I eat a lot of these foods all the time. Still, I have noticed a big difference in my temperature sensitivity, so something is going on, even if it's psychological. I don't care, I will take not being freezing any day of the week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Boss will be less than useless at such time.

This situation sounds familiar!

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

39 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Still, I have noticed a big difference in my temperature sensitivity, so something is going on, even if it's psychological.

Just throwing this out there b/c I have significant experience in this arena, not saying you should worry BUT

hypothyroidism has a hallmark symptom that is temperature sensitivity (specifically hypo = sensitive to cold, hyper = sensitive to hot)

11 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Just throwing this out there b/c I have significant experience in this arena, not saying you should worry BUT

hypothyroidism has a hallmark symptom that is temperature sensitivity (specifically hypo = sensitive to cold, hyper = sensitive to hot)

I have read this. It can't be eliminated without a doctor visit that I have no insurance for, between that and Occam's Razor I'm eliminating the simple options first. I may not have a problem with getting ANY iron, but apparently my body flat wants more than I've been giving it? 

To be very specific about what I think has changed:

- On Sundays I experienced such an energy low that I have to force myself with extreme Adulting powers to only take a 1-3 hour lie down. We're talking end-of-weekday grade tireds on a day where I didn't get up early or so major acts of drudgery

- In the mornings, rolling out of bed less than completely covered up resulted in full-blown sniffles, sneezing, draining, and sinus constriction sufficient to make my gums/mouth ache a bit on the front below my nose

- Even with a jacket on, I'd make with the sneezing and draining all. day. long. For the crime of drinking iced water

These have stopped as of this past Sunday. I started taking the iron on Saturday. It doesn't mean I'm not at all tired or cold, but I have hope. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ixaera said:

When you donate blood, they test your hemoglobin. It's something. Are you able to donate blood? Could be a free way to test your iron. (Some blood banks will do your cholesterol too, for fun data.)

Not sure. Before lifting, I was too small to donate and I haven't really checked up on it because Needles. 

• Like 2

Just now, Urgan said:

Not sure. Before lifting, I was too small to donate and I haven't really checked up on it because Needles. 

Fair enough. Needles suck. I know what you mean, after I lost weight I was too small and I'm currently on the cusp so I haven't in a long while. The minimum is 110 (not sure if that's universal but it SEEMS to be?). I also bleed TOO SLOW so that's another discouraging factor for me. What's the point if they just have to trash my bag after an unproductive 20 minutes.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Fair enough. Needles suck. I know what you mean, after I lost weight I was too small and I'm currently on the cusp so I haven't in a long while. The minimum is 110 (not sure if that's universal but it SEEMS to be?). I also bleed TOO SLOW so that's another discouraging factor for me. What's the point if they just have to trash my bag after an unproductive 20 minutes.

How does one bleed slow? Insert mapke syrup joke here. Sheesh, yeah if you have to get stuck it better be for a good cause. Talk about frustrating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

How does one bleed slow? Insert mapke syrup joke here. Sheesh, yeah if you have to get stuck it better be for a good cause. Talk about frustrating. 

They keep telling me "drink more water" but often this was after I chugged over a liter the morning of because of just such previous advice. Guessing too much caffeine, but you'd think caffeine + all that water would lead to a tiny vein geyser for them, not a trickle stream, but what do I know. I wasn't gonna quit caffeine for nobody

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ixaera said:

They keep telling me "drink more water" but often this was after I chugged over a liter the morning of because of just such previous advice. Guessing too much caffeine, but you'd think caffeine + all that water would lead to a tiny vein geyser for them, not a trickle stream, but what do I know. I wasn't gonna quit caffeine for nobody

Maybe your body hoards water?? You'd think the smaller the person, the easier it'd be to correct. Not so much, it seems. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:45 AM, shaar said:

Yeah, it's so hard to tell, 532 reasons why you could be feeling like a dumpster fire...

^^^^This

On 5/1/2017 at 11:59 AM, Urgan said:

I like to start with the simplest--food, sleep, room temperature, before skipping down to oh, cancer, lol. A vitamin/mineral deficiency is down the trail a bit, but it can still be hard to spot until you don't wanna live anymore, you know?

Yes. As if bodies were integrated systems with feedback loops. Makes sense to start with a loop that is easy to grab.

The classic symptom of iron deficiency is fatigue. How easy is that to sort out as a dietary problem as opposed to just doing too much?

Even if you could get accurate information on the iron content of your food, you still would not know how much you actually need each month. All trial and error.

22 hours ago, Urgan said:

And of course this will be the worst week ever to get temperature-related symptoms because later this week the daytime high is gonna crash into the upper 50s. Because of course it is. And our state-of-the-art-in-the-80s climate control system will compensate for this by about Sunday.

My sympathy. There is a construction project going on a my work that has messed with the climate control in our part of the building. It blows cold air, regardless of the outside temperature. I would like to pack away my winter clothes in celebration of May Day, but not all the sweaters. Those may need to stay out all summer.

Another option for easily stored carbs are rice cakes. I like the Lundberg ones because they taste like food instead of packing material and are not loaded with sugar. Another benefit is that they are so boring that I'll only eat them when I'm really hungry. No temptation to snack on them. I can vouch that a bag will keep for months in a desk drawer.

• Like 2

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

37 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I also bleed TOO SLOW so that's another discouraging factor for me. What's the point if they just have to trash my bag after an unproductive 20 minutes.

32 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Ahaha I remember the one time I gave blood, apparently my heart was rolling at 5000BPM because the guy turned around to do something, came back, and was like WHOA NELLY you're sure filling up this bag at a high rate of exsanguination there kiddo.  So maybe get real nervous about something beforehand or do some HIIT in the lobby??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Yes. As if bodies were integrated systems with feedback loops. Makes sense to start with a loop that is easy to grab.

The classic symptom of iron deficiency is fatigue. How easy is that to sort out as a dietary problem as opposed to just doing too much?

This is a thing. Tuesdays and Sundays are the hardest, energy-wise. Guess which days I cook two meals among other things to compensate for the fact that on Aikido nights I don't get home 'til 9.

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Even if you could get accurate information on the iron content of your food, you still would not know how much you actually need each month. All trial and error.

Sigh. Like trying to figure out if mag could help with Shark Week....

8 minutes ago, Mistr said:

My sympathy. There is a construction project going on a my work that has messed with the climate control in our part of the building. It blows cold air, regardless of the outside temperature. I would like to pack away my winter clothes in celebration of May Day, but not all the sweaters. Those may need to stay out all summer.

Double-sigh. Work A/Cs have always been my nemesis. They are never quite right for anybody, are they? Confirmed the other day that the thermostat in our part of the building is a decoy they've "been working on"...uh huh, and I have a bridge I can sell you. It's in Brooklyn. 

11 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Another option for easily stored carbs are rice cakes. I like the Lundberg ones because they taste like food instead of packing material and are not loaded with sugar. Another benefit is that they are so boring that I'll only eat them when I'm really hungry. No temptation to snack on them. I can vouch that a bag will keep for months in a desk drawer.

I hot these portable rice steamer things that are awesome for similar reasons. Also boring as it gets, but 340 calories heck yes. Lol rice cakes can taste like packing peanuts, except the chocolate ones and then I'm just like oh look ACTUAL chocolate...

7 minutes ago, shaar said:

Ahaha I remember the one time I gave blood, apparently my heart was rolling at 5000BPM because the guy turned around to do something, came back, and was like WHOA NELLY you're sure filling up this bag at a high rate of exsanguination there kiddo.  So maybe get real nervous about something beforehand or do some HIIT in the lobby??

...like about giving blood maybe??

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Urgan said:

B-B-BINGO

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, shaar said:

I thought if you fill the bag quickly, that is a good sign and you might be well hydrated.

39 minutes ago, Urgan said:

25 minutes ago, shaar said:

B-B-BINGO

This too.  Nervous.  HR and BP elevated.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

4 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

This too.  Nervous.  HR and BP elevated.

Giving a speech and getting a needle are more frightening than being shot by a firearm. Fact.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Giving a speech and getting a needle are more frightening than being shot by a firearm. Fact.

So you got bullet-proof clothing and got shot?  Cool! B)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Maybe your body hoards water?? You'd think the smaller the person, the easier it'd be to correct. Not so much, it seems. 

Every single time I donated I got the same "wow so slow" comments, and twice it took so long my blood was useless to everybody! I dunno. Maybe I'm half zombie

55 minutes ago, shaar said:

TRUEFAX before I was building muscle a lot, I was kind of a cardio bunny and my resting heart rate was frequently in the low 50's, this COULD BE a viable explanation I do not know. I was never really nervous about bloods at all, I just don't look at the needle and think about books I'm reading. Obvs, though, I don't have a needle phobia, which probably helps a lot. These days I sit closer to 60 bpm at rest, though a touch lower still. Queue dumb comment from a prior physician "but you don't LOOK fit enough for this heart rate to be normal"

thanks

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

So you got bullet-proof clothing and got shot?  Cool! B)

Bad bruise vs puncture. QED.

Queue dumb comment from a prior physician "but you don't LOOK fit enough for this heart rate to be normal"

thanks

HMMM. HMMMMMMM. Docs be treating everybody like they're lazy pieces of garbage and feel no need to ask questions, don't they?

• Like 1

Dropped her like a hot potato over a completely different thing that ALSO involved not listening to me at all.

Good on you. There was something rotten about her approach to patients for sure. 

• Like 2