• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan, the medieval rucking warrior

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more Game of Thrones-y.

I am a member of the medieval historical society, the SCA. We are rapidly approaching summer event season. So this challenge is going to be a deviation from normal. I need to develop some better general physical preparedness (UGH) and some better habits. Because:

• It’s a lot of time outdoors, in the heat, walking or standing around. 
  • Whether it’s a day trip, a weekend camp, or a week-long camp, you are hauling much gear and doing a lot of walking. 
  • Sometime this summer or next I’m going to start training to be a combat archer which means wearing a helmet and lightweight armor around the battlefield, which also involves walking and standing. But with extra weight and carrying a crossbow. 
  • Previous summers you could walk up behind me and hear me saying things like: omg it’s too hot, omg my feet hurt, omg how far do we have to carry your armor bag this time, omg I need more lightweight medieval garb I am sweating like a mule.

Quest 1: Walk outdoors

• Go for a walk outside twice a week, 30 – 45 minutes
  • Goal: Build heat tolerance

Quest 2: Strength training, add a couple strongman weight carry exercises

• Log 14 strength sessions in 4 weeks
  • Goal: Be able to carry gear around like it’s no big deal

Quest 3: Water 

• Drink 5 (22 oz) bottles of water a day
  • Goal: Get in the habit of staying hydrated 

Quest 4: Sunblock 

• Wear sunblock anytime I am doing yardwork, gardening, or walking outdoors for more than 15 minutes at a time
  • Goal: Get in the habit of not getting skin cancer, which I am at risk for

Quest 5: Sewing

• Sew for 2 hours per week. Post progress pictures on the forum
  • Goal: Have lightweight dresses for the summer. I’ve sewn all of 3-4 items in the last 2 years, and really need to step up my game

------------------------------

Week Zero Goals

• Figure out what strongman exercises I want to incorporate, even if it’s just variations on the farmers carry. I’m open to suggestions. Things I have in mind: stairs, sandbag carry, kettlebell rack carry, kettebell bottoms up carry.
  • Write out the steps I need to do to complete the dress I started sewing… a year ago.
  • Buy facial and body sunblock
  • Find a cheap backpack at the thrift store for walking with light weights (not going to do any serious rucking, probably 10-15 lbs at most this month.) And maybe a bag I can turn into a sandbag

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Ruck on!

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go along. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

A buddy of mine recommended SCA a few times.  This year is bad timing for me.

My significant other has been in the SCA for over a decade and I've been in it since I met him, 3 years ago. I've seen enough battles to know that anyone like you would do really well, you'd basically kick ass. Most of men (and there are some women) do it because it is fun and don't properly train for it. There are some who definitely are fit and can take a guy down. But there is an even larger percentage that are literal "weekend warriors".

Most people think it is reenactment and that the battles are fake, but in the SCA you actually put on armor (sometimes quite modern though) and fight to win. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Flex Luthor said:

Supposedly you should wear sunscreen all of the time. Not sure how necessary that is but hey it's a thought.

Good luck broseiden!

As someone who tans like Milk, let me tell you that yes, all the time helps. I've gotten burn through windows, and I get burned with even a little sun off of snow because holy shit it's bright.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trewest said:

As someone who tans like Milk, let me tell you that yes, all the time helps. I've gotten burn through windows, and I get burned with even a little sun off of snow because holy shit it's bright.

I don't actually burn that easily, I mainly just get more and more tan. But I am on immunosuppressants and if I am lucky the worst kind of cancer I'll get will be skin cancer. Which is why I don't have a heat tolerance, I just hide indoors and in the shade. But now i'm going to venture out, bathed in the white mana of sun protection. 

• Like 2

I totally agree with the waiter and suitcase carries. I'm not super stoked about barbell lunges but that is mainly because my balance is poor and that is probably a good reason to do them. :upset:

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I totally agree with the waiter and suitcase carries. I'm not super stoked about barbell lunges but that is mainly because my balance is poor and that is probably a good reason to do them. :upset:

Unweighted lunges?  Dumbbell Lunges?  How about one-dumbbell lunches where you hold it in front of you like in a Goblet Squat?

I hear great things about Lunges (basic movement) and they were finally prescribed to me at the end of my weekly cycle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Unweighted lunges?  Dumbbell Lunges?  How about one-dumbbell lunches where you hold it in front of you like in a Goblet Squat?

I hear great things about Lunges (basic movement) and they were finally prescribed to me at the end of my weekly cycle.

Reverse lunges are great for balance! I like to do mine front foot elevated to get more stretch in my hip flexor, but a lot of people do rear foot elevated too (aka Bulgarian split squats, which I don't like to do because I find it TOO hard to balance)

Checking in as the clumsiest person ever, lunges totally help improve my balance and overall non-clumsiness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

I like to do mine front foot elevated to get more stretch in my hip flexor, but a lot of people do rear foot elevated too (aka Bulgarian split squats, which I don't like to do because

everything coming out of Bulgaria is evil! :devilish:

• Like 3

Just going to follow along here and wait for the fighting!!! So cool!

My 2cents, hate, hate, hate lunges, love Bulgarian Split Squats. Lunges do something to my knees, BSS, seem not to be so brutal.

Have a great challenge.

• Like 2

I know nothing of swords and armies except for my laser burnt 300 DVD. 

Also as an Aussie, I'll say YES to the sunscreen. slosh that stuff on, get a legionnaires cap, find some era appropriate sunnies and take a stand (with your crossbow)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

14 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Reverse lunges are great for balance! I like to do mine front foot elevated to get more stretch in my hip flexor, but a lot of people do rear foot elevated too (aka Bulgarian split squats, which I don't like to do because I find it TOO hard to balance)

Checking in as the clumsiest person ever, lunges totally help improve my balance and overall non-clumsiness.

11 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

My 2cents, hate, hate, hate lunges, love Bulgarian Split Squats. Lunges do something to my knees, BSS, seem not to be so brutal.

Okay okay okay, I can at least try lunges again. ;) I'm actually pondering that adding some weight might add stability that I don't find when I do unweighted lunges. I know that I'm more stable during squats with the bar rather than a broomstick and the weight helps me sink down. I might wait until Thursday though because today is deadlift day! Also, I'm theoretically starting some training next week (focusing on learning form for barbell movements), so some things may change but I intend to let the trainer know that for my work outside the main lifts I want to include weighted carries and why. 

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Interested in your homemade sandbag too, I've been toying with the idea of making some

I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but I know it can be done. I've seen a couple that actually having you sew one, but my sewing machine can't handle that thick fabric and padding. I plan to get a duffel bag and then figure out how I want to reinforce it. I may manually stitch in padding and then reinforce the outside with good ole duct tape. 

8 hours ago, Pat G said:

Also as an Aussie, I'll say YES to the sunscreen. slosh that stuff on, get a legionnaires cap, find some era appropriate sunnies and take a stand (with your crossbow)

Will do! Except for that legionnaires cap, which I had to google, looks ridiculous. ;) At the big camping trip in June I plan to purchase an appropriate historical hat. I do have a straw hat that is appropriate to the times but my head is too big or the hat is too small?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Rucking and Kettlebell carries- I'm in! Interested in your homemade sandbag too, I've been toying with the idea of making some

P.S. I've also heard it's better to sew up bags of rice than sand, less spillage. So that is what I would use for the inside. Not sure how heavy I want each individual rice bag to be, maybe 5 lbs?

18 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't actually burn that easily, I mainly just get more and more tan. But I am on immunosuppressants and if I am lucky the worst kind of cancer I'll get will be skin cancer. Which is why I don't have a heat tolerance, I just hide indoors and in the shade. But now i'm going to venture out, bathed in the white mana of sun protection. 

maybe you can find blue sunscreen to emulate your avatar?!

18 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

How about one-dumbbell lunches where you hold it in front of you like in a Goblet Squat?

and then it's closer to your face for eating :D

also, challenge looks AWESOME! so excited to hear about all this SCA business. sounds like something i could totally get into.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CourtnieMarie said:

and then it's closer to your face for eating :D

Oh, noes!  I did, in fact, type that shortly after lunch and it is clear I did not eat enough!  I am packing beef jerky to fix that issue.

This was all I could find.

junkfood-treadmill.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, I'm theoretically starting some training next week (focusing on learning form for barbell movements), so some things may change but I intend to let the trainer know that for my work outside the main lifts I want to include weighted carries and why. 

That's right! We're training twinsies! I hope it all goes as planned so we can swap stories :D