• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan, the medieval rucking warrior

18 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

You may have the most interesting friends in the world.  Everything about that weekend sounds awesome.

So second! Wrestling and burlesque????

Back from my weekend of partying hard. Somehow still managed to weigh in at 183.0#. I was at 182.4 at the end of April. I'd like to be consistently in the 181 range by the end of May because my end goal is only 160-170. If I can stop eating like an asshole and lose 1# per month I'd be happy as a clam. (How dumb is that phrase?)

Sunday, May 8th Workout

Bench Press
1x8, 45#
4x5, 65#
1x4, 65#
1x10, 45#

Deadlift
1x5, 95#
4x5, 120#

1x5, 125#, PR!
(not sure if decent because I was somewhat hungover or should be decent because I ate a million calories on Saturday)

Bicep Curl, straight bar
3x8, 35#
2x7, 35#

Lat Pull, Butterfly Grip
4x8, 75#

Suitcase Carry, Kettlebell
4 sets, 30#, usual walking distance (need to start picking up the pace)
My sternum is a little sore from this, which is weirdly satisfying

Cardio - 60 min of lawn mowing + 15 min yard work
(This has to count as some kind of weighted event because I have a non-propelled lawn mower, even if it's a lightweight electric one, 55#)

Notes from this workout: Continue with 65# Bench, Continue with 125# Deadlift, bump up Bicep and Lat Pull by 5# next session that I do these. Next workout try waiters carry. 

• Like 9

Finally typed up our list of ideas to add weighted carries and other challenges to help me prepare for summer events:

• sandbag carry

• kettlebell rack carry
  • kettebell bottoms up carry

• waiters carries

• suitcase carries

• various kinds of lunges including reverse lunges

• stair climbing

• rucking

• mowing the lawn with backpack

Tentative plan is to:

• add one weighted carry to each lift session
  • add backpack to one outdoor activity per week, can be lawn mowing or walking

Stair climbing and lunges can sometimes irritate my SI joint, so we'll play those by ear. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

YEAAAA PR!!!!

Good for getting those weighted carries in!

9 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Loving your carry challenge! Been quietly taking notes over here...

I think today I might try the waiter carry! The fitness room with the kettlebells will be open with no classes for an hour when I get there today, so I'll probably use those instead of dumbbells. 

In regards to zero week: I still need to buy sunblock but it is raining/storming off and on this week, so as long as I get it by this weekend, I should be fine. I probably won't have time to make my sewing plan to finish my dress-in-progress until Friday. I have a busy week this week. Ugh. 

In good news, went from 183# yesterday to 182.8# today, which is exciting because

I didn't even poop yesterday - my body hates me. I need iron supplements but iron supplements and my gut don't agree. And I had a meeting after work where it was someone's birthday, and I gave in to a cupcake. Which I felt bad about, but now I don't. 

Edited to add that today is my books and beer book club meeting at the brewery. I'm going to try to be smart and only have one beer and one taco. We meet on Taco Tuesday which is both a blessing and a curse because you can buy individual tacos.

This means I'll only have time for lifting after work. I'm gong to take a 20 min light walk on my lunch break today and tomorrow to try to squeeze in some cardio. 

Edited by Taddea Zhaan
edited for tacos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think today I might try the waiter carry! The fitness room with the kettlebells will be open with no classes for an hour when I get there today, so I'll probably use those instead of dumbbells. 

In regards to zero week: I still need to buy sunblock but it is raining/storming off and on this week, so as long as I get it by this weekend, I should be fine. I probably won't have time to make my sewing plan to finish my dress-in-progress until Friday. I have a busy week this week. Ugh. 

In good news, went from 183# yesterday to 182.8# today, which is exciting because

Hide contents

I didn't even poop yesterday - my body hates me. I need iron supplements but iron supplements and my gut don't agree. And I had a meeting after work where it was someone's birthday, and I gave in to a cupcake. Which I felt bad about, but now I don't. 

Edited to add that today is my books and beer book club meeting at the brewery. I'm going to try to be smart and only have one beer and one taco. We meet on Taco Tuesday which is both a blessing and a curse because you can buy individual tacos.

This means I'll only have time for lifting after work. I'm gong to take a 20 min light walk on my lunch break today and tomorrow to try to squeeze in some cardio. 

Books and beer book club. This is a thing I need to do in my life.....

@maigrey weren't we talking about something like this?

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Books and beer book club. This is a thing I need to do in my life.....

@maigrey weren't we talking about something like this?

It's seriously a great idea. I thought the book this month was awful but I'm not going to miss out on craft beer, it's a great way to get people to show up. ;) 

• Like 4

Yesterday was squats, I hate squats. They are improving but it is so hard to keep the barbell from drifting forward. #mobilityproblems

Tuesday Workout, May 10, 2016

Short workout due to books and beer club after. It was supposed to be OHP, squats, DB rows, hypers, and pull-ups. But the place was a mad house and people were in muh way. In retrospect I should have done leg curls instead of high thrusts. 

OHP
1x7, 45#
2x6, 45
1x5, 45
1x4, 45

Squat
First time adding weight to the bar. 

1x5, 45#
3x5, 50#

1x4, 50#

Machine Assisted Pull-Ups

4x6, (like most of my body weight :/ )

Hip Thrusts
4x12, bodyweight (no time to set up for weight)

Waiter Carry, Kettlebell
4 rounds, 15#, could do more next time

Cardio, Elliptical - 15 min

It's time to set up my fitness assessment with the trainer. When we finally start training I'm going to talk to him about whether squats are a form issue or if I just need start programming in MOAR LEG WORK. It's possible that my legs are weak because of my injuries but it seems impossible that my OHP and squat should be the same? Thoughts? The bar feels light on my back but then when I go to move up from the bottom position it definitely feels heavy. I also struggle with my right leg wanting to do more of the work than my left leg so I have to mentally make sure I am pushing equally with both. 

• Like 3

ugh #squatissues i hear you. i hope you're able to figure some things out an move forward. how's the weight on other types of squats?

and that IS exciting about the weight loss despite a small splurge and iron supps ;)

what *awful* book was it this month?

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

They are improving but it is so hard to keep the barbell from drifting forward. #mobilityproblems

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

When we finally start training I'm going to talk to him about whether squats are a form issue

Have not seen either squat or deadlift, so don't know.  I love guessing, so I will guess!  Just keep in mind it is just a guess.

I call it coordination - some combination of muscle activation and core bracing.  There was an article I read some time ago that argued the leverages for squats and deadlifts are pretty much effective and therefore squats and deadlifts should be about equal and that is the case for the PL records.  (Quite often, squat > deadlift)  For lower level lifters (myself included) it can be all over the map.

The writer did say it is much easier for people to brace when the weight is in front because we have been doing that pretty much our entire lives.  As soon as the weight goes on the back of the shoulders, we completely forget how.

2 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

how's the weight on other types of squats?

What she said!!!

I was going to suggest Goblet Squats.  Getting 50 pounds might be awkward, however.

4 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Have not seen either squat or deadlift, so don't know.  I love guessing, so I will guess!  Just keep in mind it is just a guess.

I call it coordination - some combination of muscle activation and core bracing.  There was an article I read some time ago that argued the leverages for squats and deadlifts are pretty much effective and therefore squats and deadlifts should be about equal and that is the case for the PL records.  (Quite often, squat > deadlift)  For lower level lifters (myself included) it can be all over the map.

The writer did say it is much easier for people to brace when the weight is in front because we have been doing that pretty much our entire lives.  As soon as the weight goes on the back of the shoulders, we completely forget how.

What she said!!!

I was going to suggest Goblet Squats.  Getting 50 pounds might be awkward, however.

hmm this is interesting! i didn't know about the whole weight in front vs. in back effecting the ability to brace your core. this is likely something i struggle with too.

the highest DB i've been able to goblet squat without toooo much awkwardness was 75#

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Core is a serious issue for me. My abdominal muscles were surgically reconstructed in 2011. They were separated in 2008 during the emergency surgery and weren't brought back together until 2011, using surgical mesh. I also had a lower abdominal surgery in 2013. My other half is working on making me a powerlifting belt to help hold everything together when I lift. I need like infinite ab and glute challenges. Before someone mentions it, not that they would, I am medically cleared to lift. 

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Congrats on adding weight to the bar! even if it stinks.

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Yay for adding weight to the bar! :D

33 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Way to go on adding weight on the squats! I can't wait to do that!

Thanks! Even though it is only 50#, it wasn't that long ago that I felt like the 30# training bar was a challenge! I think that was just early last month?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what *awful* book was it this month?

I forgot to mention that this was the awful book: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Victim-True-Life-Journey-Serial/dp/0446523402/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me= 

I just found the author to be a whiney brat who made himself a victim by purposefully writing to serial killers. And the other book club members were like "well even though his writing skills are terrible it was still fascinating. and yeah he wrote to those guys and put himself in that situation but the serial killers manipulated him to keep writing to them."  etc etc. If you read the one star reviews that is basically my viewpoint, vs the 5 star reviews were the other book club members. :indecisiveness:

• Like 1

Good job on adding weight to the bar. I have to make the effort to push with both legs, I am left dominant and will often feel like I push up kinda askew. 

Surely there is not a book out there worse than "Fifty Shades of Drivel"................ ;)

22 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

My squat is not much better than my OHP but that's just because I'm terrified of it due to my back injury.  I'll be interested to see what your trainer says.

One guy I talk to fairly often at the gym is a strength coach and he says he injured his back by missing a step and going down an extra eight inches.  I see him doing long paused stuff to stretch his back out.