• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan, the medieval rucking warrior

8 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also related to yesterday's session. We did one set of sumo deadlifts at the end and I was surprised that I found it to be a lot harder than regular deadlifts. Although we were doing it with weights added onto 25# plates (i.e. lifting from closer to the floor) we had just done a set prior as regular deadlift and this was still harder than I expected. I am curious if this would just be from never doing a sumo deadlift or if it is highlighting areas of weakness like the glutes?  I have read that sumo strengthens your hips but I don't know what they mean by that since "hips" is not a muscle. 

Probably a combination of both, but related I found this article http://strengtheory.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/ 

• Like 1

I am so impressed that your 3g has lasted this long! Of course I'm a total slave to apple and it seems like they build a 2 year slow release self destruct mechanism into every device...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I am so impressed that your 3g has lasted this long! Of course I'm a total slave to apple and it seems like they build a 2 year slow release self destruct mechanism into every device...

Really? I have an iPhone 4 since 2010 (?). It's still working fine!

A friend of mine has my old MacBook Pro from 2009. He added memory and I can't remember if he added an SSD or if he's thinking about it and still uses it to edit videos.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

A friend of mine has my old MacBook Pro from 2009. He added memory and I can't remember if he added an SSD or if he's thinking about it and still uses it to edit videos.

This is part of why I am reluctant to get a new one, the older models seem to last longer! My 3g was refurbished even when I bought it. It cost me a whopping $50. 

My MacBook (not even a pro!) from 2008 lasted until this past November/December. I tried everything and reformatted etc and any time I booted it up it froze after a short period of time and wouldn't work. It wasn't worth the cost of parts to try to fix it and I had already spent money on an external disc drive for reformatting it. (The internal disc drive got discs stuck in it too easily). I'm broke paying off student loans so I ended up just replacing it with a Mac Mini. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

28 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My MacBook (not even a pro!) from 2008 lasted until this past November/December. 

!!!! Maybe I'm just apple cursed lol :P 

SPOILER ALERT, my next challenge is going to be light because I'll be spending not less than 10 days camping, between SCA 50 year and the 4th of July weekend. 

Look at this class list, I'm geeking out! http://www.sca50year.org/classes.html 

My medieval person is not Viking but for obvious reasons I might have to go to Viking Hiking on Sunday June 19. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm going to freeze extras tonight but I'm also considering just giving some away tomorrow

I volunteer as tribute!

• Like 1

Today was the one day a week of my program that is solely general physical preparedness - all circuits and no heavy lifts. I felt like I needed to walk around wearing a sign, "I swear I'm not a cardio bunny." 

I woke up early to get it done before leaving for an out of town event. It is weird to be the type of person now who wakes up at 6:30 am on a Saturday voluntarily to workout.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Today was the one day a week of my program that is solely general physical preparedness - all circuits and no heavy lifts. I felt like I needed to walk around wearing a sign, "I swear I'm not a cardio bunny." 

I woke up early to get it done before leaving for an out of town event. It is weird to be the type of person now who wakes up at 6:30 am on a Saturday voluntarily to workout.

OMG not a cardio bunny!!! BWAHAHAHA I wonder if there are any shirts like that floating around... speaking of which, my zero week shirt melted in the dryer last month... may have to hit the craft store for some un expired ones lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OMG not a cardio bunny!!! BWAHAHAHA I wonder if there are any shirts like that floating around... speaking of which, my zero week shirt melted in the dryer last month... may have to hit the craft store for some un expired ones lol

I super have been wanting a pink "cardio bunny" workout shirt to ironically wear while I lift, so if you find one, it needs some publicity :D

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I super have been wanting a pink "cardio bunny" workout shirt to ironically wear while I lift, so if you find one, it needs some publicity :D

OMG that was too easy. Obvs best one on top, rest in spoilers so I don't hijack the thread...

qnNiFnO.jpg

Spoiler

Y0v3VGs.jpg97Y841H.jpgsgGtI6J.jpgAt5J1JPl.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OMG that was too easy. Obvs best one on top, rest in spoilers so I don't hijack the thread...

qnNiFnO.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

You can thread hijack anytime, especially if it is with snarky t-shirts! I might need to try to find that first one. I wish I had quirky workout shirts but mostly I can't justify the cost when I have plenty of plain shirty.

I do have some nerdy shirts but they are mostly all too big on me now. I'm currently wearing a Planet Express shirt (Futurama) but it is two sizes too big. And it got that way all without being a cardio bunny I might add. ;)

• Like 4

Just now, Taddea Zhaan said:

You can thread hijack anytime, especially if it is with snarky t-shirts! I might need to try to find that first one. I wish I had quirky workout shirts but mostly I can't justify the cost when I have plenty of plain shirty.

I do have some nerdy shirts but they are mostly all too big on me now. I'm currently wearing a Planet Express shirt (Futurama) but it is two sizes too big. And it got that way all without being a cardio bunny I might add. ;)

OMG Planet Express shirt!!! Squeeeee!!!! I think I want the - don't put me down for cardio - tank, but I only get them for goal incentives, for the same reason. I guess I need to pick a new one :P 

MAD PROPS for baggy shirt. Doing it your way is the best way. 

• Like 3

On 6/3/2016 at 7:46 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

SPOILER ALERT, my next challenge is going to be light because I'll be spending not less than 10 days camping, between SCA 50 year and the 4th of July weekend. 

Look at this class list, I'm geeking out! http://www.sca50year.org/classes.html 

My medieval person is not Viking but for obvious reasons I might have to go to Viking Hiking on Sunday June 19. 

Oh, that is just too fine. I'd roll around in all the SCA goodness. I just wish every douche canoe in my area wasn't a part of our local barony. I'd be all up in that, otherwise. Have an extra awesome time!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Oh, that is just too fine. I'd roll around in all the SCA goodness. I just wish every douche canoe in my area wasn't a part of our local barony. I'd be all up in that, otherwise. Have an extra awesome time!

I'm not a part of any of the local baronies or shires technically, so I definitely know what you mean. I'm a part of a large Household instead, kind of the misfits of the SCA, who are not so much into the royalty seeking aspect of the SCA.

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OMG Planet Express shirt!!! Squeeeee!!!! I think I want the - don't put me down for cardio - tank, but I only get them for goal incentives, for the same reason. I guess I need to pick a new one :P 

MAD PROPS for baggy shirt. Doing it your way is the best way. 

The new garden is currently sucking up all of my goal t-shirt money. Next year I'll be all about the goal t-shirts!

• Like 3

This training program is trying to murder my legs. I've never done so many different types of aerobic squats in my life. I am looking forward to regular back squats on Tuesday. I'm curious to see how they feel after hammering my legs with circuit squat variations. I am hopeful that this is improving my squat mobility and strength.

Yesterday I did probably 200+ squats, and today about 120 but only that few because I could literally not do any more. 

Every session has a ton of squats programmed in. 

8 hours ago, Grymm said:

Maybe you'll find that whatever was your 5 rep max is now your 200 rep max.

Probably not that extreme, but considering I was barely squatting 55# for 5x5, I'm positive this will help. 

As for my challenge, I'm giving myself about a 60% score. I could have done better, but I made progress on some things I have been wanting to work on. I'm still going to keep posting in this thread until the next challenge is up, but here is my summary. 

Quest Description Actual Target Progress
Walk Outside 30 - 45 min walk outside, 2x per week 4 8 50%
Strength 14 strength sessions, 1 carry per session 13 14 93%
Water Drink 5 water bottles/day or 100 oz 19 28 68%
Sunblock Wear sunblock anytime outside more than 15 min 5 8 63%
Sewing Sew 2 hours per week 2 8 25%

Walking outside: It turns out you have to have free time after work and will power. And the goal was to build heat tolerance for walking outdoors but it went from 60 degree F days to 85 degree F days with no room for building tolerance. There is now less than two weeks to the big camping event that involves a lot of heat and walking outdoors. HOWEVER, I do feel much more prepared. Yard work and lack of air conditioning in the home has helped build tolerance. And the new program with the trainer and all the circuits is building my cardio tolerance. 

Strength: No comment needed there. Mostly on point. 

Water: This is apparently going to continue to be a weak area for me. 

Sunblock: I was outside way more than 8 times and only wore sunblock or sat in the shade or wore a straw hat a total of 5 times. This is mostly a fail. BUT, I didn't get sunburn, not even once. So I did something right? 

Sewing: Sewed 2 hours total..................... need to do some of this tonight. I had plenty of time yesterday, but after hammering my legs in the gym, I could not will myself to be productive. 

• Like 2

Where I went to school, 60% ~= B+ depending on just how strong the curve was. :lol:

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

And the goal was to build heat tolerance for walking outdoors but it went from 60 degree F days to 85 degree F days with no room for building tolerance.

Not sure what state you live in, but I think heat tolerance (and cold tolerance) just takes time.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 10:42 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

qnNiFnO.jpg

Hide contents

They were selling this shirt at my meet:

il_570xN.747274893_s1m3.jpg

What about Sumo deadlifts was "hard" ?

I find them hard because I am tight in the hip flexors and adductors so I have trouble getting into the right position. Once I am warm/loose I find them not too bad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

What about Sumo deadlifts was "hard" ?

I find them hard because I am tight in the hip flexors and adductors so I have trouble getting into the right position. Once I am warm/loose I find them not too bad.

It was one set of 7 near the end of my workout. I had done 3 sets of deadlifts prior. I can normally do 135# 5x5 comfortably. I struggled to get up rep 7 at 115#. I'm not sure yet what exactly made it harder.

I'm sure my trainer will have me do a couple sets of sumo deadlifts on Thursday, I'll try to stay alert to how my body feels and where in my body it seemed more taxing than conventional deadlifts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Not sure what state you live in, but I think heat tolerance (and cold tolerance) just takes time.

Midwest. So it is cold for 8 months then feels obnoxiously warm for 3 months. And my poor lungs don't help me breathe in the heat or humidity. Ugh, cardio. I needs it. 

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Midwest. So it is cold for 8 months then feels obnoxiously warm for 3 months. And my poor lungs don't help me breathe in the heat or humidity. Ugh, cardio. I needs it. 

I'm in the Mojave desert and we went from 70s to an open oven door away from triple digit heat in about 3 days. But its a dry heat. (We say this to make ourselves feel better.) Seriously, though, I can't even with humidity. All my sympathies are with you. 

I loved your challenge and the progress you made. I'm definitly inspired by you and I'm sure my next challenge will reflect that. 

• Like 1