• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Redstone Seeks Ore & Makes Tools

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

It actually was not misleading.  Eventually there was a reference to 35 pound plates and farmers walks for about 100 feet.  So context.  And deliberate attempt to misinterpret.

My best execution was at the meet last week, where a girl and her bf / handler asked me to tape her bench press.  I got a name and asked what she was lifting so I had some idea how far away her lift was.  She said 137.  I looked at her and my jaw hit the floor.  kg?  She said, "HA!  I wish!  That would be a record!"

HAHAHAHA awesome.

I wish we had KG, seems so much more sensible! 

• Like 1

Following

I've started playing Minecraft as of late...because my 5 year old does.. and he needs my help a lot.  We're still working out the basics; getting together everything necessary to build a bed in survival mode.

I've never seen lots of those blocks yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Following

I've started playing Minecraft as of late...because my 5 year old does.. and he needs my help a lot.  We're still working out the basics; getting together everything necessary to build a bed in survival mode.

I've never seen lots of those blocks yet.

YES! Crafting a bed ASAP is key. I kind of hate killing the sheep before I can forge shears, but it's a necessary evil ;) I can talk about it all day if you ever feel the drive to geek out about it LOL

I still have yet to forge shears.  I understand the principle, but haven't yet found both iron and coal and brought it back to the forge in one of the games we're playing; I don't get to pick the world and we haven't gone back to any of the worlds where I've gotten close.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I still have yet to forge shears.  I understand the principle, but haven't yet found both iron and coal and brought it back to the forge in one of the games we're playing; I don't get to pick the world and we haven't gone back to any of the worlds where I've gotten close.

For the first night of survival, sometimes I'll dig a small cave in the side of a mountain - after getting wood and stone. Without a bed, you can shut yourself from the monsters, set up a craft table and furnace, and start digging downwards to pass the time during night. (Lots of torches needed!) If I'm lucky I'll get iron right away and get started on making better tools! Then the next day I look for ocean and set sail for a better biome if needs be.

Torches?

Hmm, I suppose I spend too much time digging light shafts into my mine.

Set sail?

Still have lots to learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Torches?

Hmm, I suppose I spend too much time digging light shafts into my mine.

Set sail?

Still have lots to learn.

Don't get me started or we'll be here all day! ;) But you can make torches super easily on the first night!

TBH, I rarely play in survival with monsters. I like searching and exploring, so I do peaceful mode within survival. Still have to explore the world and gather all crafting materials, but no monsters or starving. You can still get killed though if you fall into a ravine or lava something.

(torch, charcoal and boat. Once you start digging in the mines you can find coal and skip the charcoal in the furnace step for torches)

Spoiler

ulaaz3E.pngceWXIx8.pnglsecw9c.png

• Like 1

Journaling was a success this morning, I always do better with that stuff first thing when my head is still all cloudy. Didn't do it yesterday so the mini is a fail, but I'll try to keep at it anyways since it's good for my head. Today is lift day, trainer day, form check day, so that all should be fun. (Maybe it's because I'm finally sleep recovered and this is the first day I'm waking up at a normal time in a decent way, but I'm feeling pretty up despite this constant gloomy rain we've been having and doesn't seem to want to go away..)

OH! and apparently we have a lilac bush out front? Didn't remember that from last year. Lovely :D 

pv9djCm.gif

• Like 3

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

Oh, and while I was at the bench, an older woman struck up a conversation with me, and told me I shouldn't be arching my back during bench. Am I seeing the form videos wrong? I mean, good solid lower body engagement prevents back strain, no? Not sure what I should have said to her...

Also odd that my first fitsplainer was a woman, after all those weight room jitters when I first got here!

I get this a lot online and they entirely miss the point that the basis of the arch (scapular retraction) is to PROTECT the shoulders and upper back. People are dumb.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/09/13/arching-in-the-bench-press-please-stfu/

Admittedly, the worst damage I've ever done to my back was in trying to set up for bench using the Russian-style backbend into an arch and slipping because I didn't have the necessary strength and flexibility to do so. So always set up your arch in a way that is safe for you!

• Like 4

I'm excited for you for your trainer form check day. :D I am terrified of this but mainly only for my squats, I can hear myself apologizing in advance!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I get this a lot online and they entirely miss the point that the basis of the arch (scapular retraction) is to PROTECT the shoulders and upper back. People are dumb.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/09/13/arching-in-the-bench-press-please-stfu/

Admittedly, the worst damage I've ever done to my back was in trying to set up for bench using the Russian-style backbend into an arch and slipping because I didn't have the necessary strength and flexibility to do so. So always set up your arch in a way that is safe for you!

I think it comes from people trying to apply logic to something that they have no experience in. Always dangerous.

Looking at an extreme arch (or even not so extreme) yeah it doesn't look safe. But actually doing an arch you feel solid as fuck.

• Like 4

Just now, Flex Luthor said:

I think it comes from people trying to apply logic to something that they have no experience in. Always dangerous.

Looking at an extreme arch (or even not so extreme) yeah it doesn't look safe. But actually doing an arch you feel solid as fuck.

It's amazing how much more solid it feels when you get your arch absolutely bang on. I've realised that I can get set up tighter on a lower bench so seriously considering moving to using blocks for bench.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Haha, love the title of that article. Gonna have to memorize some of the super sciencey points, I imagine that would shut some up pretty quickly LOL

2 minutes ago, Flex Luthor said:

Yeah, when I asked her if that was how she benched, I got a double blink, confession of never having benched, followed by additional tirades about lower back health. (STFU then!)

Did my last sets in front of her, nice arch, good burn in the legs :D 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm excited for you for your trainer form check day. :D I am terrified of this but mainly only for my squats, I can hear myself apologizing in advance!

HAHAHA ^THIS. I'm practicing my - I don't know what I'm doing, but want to learn - face ;) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

<--------------troll :D

Have you seen my favorite troll line?

by the by, what is your favorite troll line??

23 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

It's him *innocently* asking if you weights are in kg when they're obviously in pounds :P 

I walked right into that one didn't I LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Nice!

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

omg that's adorable 

59 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

GAH, so much glitter, my eyes!

The line about the ribbon is what really got me, I mean, WTF?