• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Redstone Seeks Ore & Makes Tools

Today was weird. I met the trainer and we did form work on squats and bench, both resulting in PRs above my expectation - and my incentive goal! After that I was on my own and did a big group of deadlifts and a minor accessory circuit. All in all I felt like I did less... (no crowns of 5X5 at the end of each lift), but also more, cause the weight. Everything felt easier after the form adjustments, so I feel confused about how hard I actually worked, if that makes sense?

Was hungry after, had some meat bar and raw bar right away which was pretty satisfying, but then when I got home I had all the meatloaf. ALL OF IT. whatever was left. Sooo... very unRedStone, but I'm gearing up to eat for maintenance, and if you don't know me, I have a hard time making it to 1200, so sitting regularly on 1600-1700 is gonna be a challenge unto itself. So. Meatloaf. Yeah.

Anyhoo...

~Squats~

1x5 45#

1x5 65#

1X5 85#

1X5 105# PR & incentives goal (Current BW)

1X5 115# PR

~Bench~

1X5 45#

1X5 55#

1X5 65#

1X5 70# PR (Wouldn't have tried without a spotter!)

~Deadlift~

2X2 85#

2X2 95#

2X2 115# (PR with overhand)

2X2 125# (PR with overhand)

1X1 135# (PR with overhand)

1X2 135# mixed

1X2 140# mixed PR, but felt almost like a fail

1X1 140# mixed, just to make sure I could

Straight Lat Pulldowns 3X20 30#

~Circuit~

3 sets no rest, 20 reps each

Deadbugs

TRX Rows

Lying chest fly 5#

Okay. The trainer. There may be a problem... maybe not. I hope not, cause we got on great, and I felt like the adjustments he gave me made sense and I saw immediate results. Problem? He doesn't want me arching during bench. Heel drive yes, but relaxed shoulders. (He also put my feet up on yoga blocks cause I'm that freakin short jeez...) So. Is this a major red flag? It's the only thing that doesn't seem to jive with the advise of the experienced powerlifters here. Can I still work with him somehow? Diplomatic way of standing my ground even though I really don't know what I'm doing? Or are there details of bench that work with relaxed shoulders? I dunno. Confused.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

by the by, what is your favorite troll line??

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

It's him *innocently* asking if you weights are in kg when they're obviously in pounds :P 

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I walked right into that one didn't I LOL

Internet-Troll.jpg

• Like 4

OH HELL NO!!! Field mouse found it's way into the pantry, looks like it's been slowly getting through all my grains!!! 

*cracks knuckles.

It's on, mousey.

dn0KqU0.gif

(Well, at least it's not a possum... yick) 

• Like 2

Arch decreases range of motion, it's an advantage in competition, but I can see why in training you might want to go full ROM. I could also see why one might argue otherwise. However, you don't want relaxed shoulders, you need tension there (squeeze the blades together) to have a stable platform for your lift. That combined with gripping the bar hard and pulling it apart (important for muscle recruitment) will make your chest go up a little automatically. But that's different to full on powerlifting arch. That would be my two cents anyway, but then again my bench sucks.

on mobile

• Like 3

I have not enough knowledge to advise you on arching other than when I do I feel stronger and more stable.

However, excellent job getting all the PRs and eating all the things!

• Like 2

What does he mean by relaxed shoulders?

Blocks isn't a problem, but if he's suggesting that you should let your shoulders shrug up at the end of the lift then I'd be worried. I do bench "without an arch" in off-season but still with scapular retraction (so it actually still has an arch).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Blocks isn't a problem, but if he's suggesting that you should let your shoulders shrug up at the end of the lift then I'd be worried. I do bench "without an arch" in off-season but still with scapular retraction (so it actually still has an arch).

Random possibly silly question... when is off season? Is it a personal thing? I've seen a lot of meets year round, so do people just pick a 'season' to be active in?

Just now, elvenengineer said:

Random possibly silly question... when is off season? Is it a personal thing? I've seen a lot of meets year round, so do people just pick a 'season' to be active in?

Off-season for me is a few months or even weeks when I'm not competing and I work on weaknesses. There are meets year-round but you don't have to do them all. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, evabo said:

Arch decreases range of motion, it's an advantage in competition, but I can see why in training you might want to go full ROM. I could also see why one might argue otherwise. However, you don't want relaxed shoulders, you need tension there (squeeze the blades together) to have a stable platform for your lift. That combined with gripping the bar hard and pulling it apart (important for muscle recruitment) will make your chest go up a little automatically. But that's different to full on powerlifting arch. That would be my two cents anyway, but then again my bench sucks.

on mobile

7 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Hmm, lets see. Well I definitely had SOME arch, but he was emphasizing not lifting my hips off the bench, maybe I do that? But yeah, he reacted when I really braced myself up on my butt and shoulder blades, mentioned the decline bench (or incline??) for that. Nothing about a shrug though, not really sure what you mean by that? Gah, we were going over so many details it's hard to keep them all inline! He did take a bunch of video that he said he'd send me, maybe I can give you better information from that once I get it.

(I had shoulder tension issues all through the KF weekend too, maybe it has something to do with that... I had a hard time keeping them down and back.)

15 hours ago, evabo said:

on mobile

OH! I meant to ask - what is ROM?

You can bench without an arch, and it's good to start without a big arch, but you do want your shoulders back and down. It's quite hard to know what's really going on from text, though. :)

I think a lot of women, in particular, work too hard on getting a big arch but don't really know how to use it. There's a purpose there, but sometimes it's worth getting the basics down before working on the size of the arch. That might be what he's getting at, but still really hard to know.

• Like 3

Just now, SpecialSundae said:

You can bench without an arch, and it's good to start without a big arch, but you do want your shoulders back and down. It's quite hard to know what's really going on from text, though. :)

I think a lot of women, in particular, work too hard on getting a big arch but don't really know how to use it. There's a purpose there, but sometimes it's worth getting the basics down before working on the size of the arch. That might be what he's getting at, but still really hard to know.

Tanky had about the same comment about half a year ago.

35 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Makes sense. For now.. I dunno, I have a really good feeling about this guy so I'm going to give it a chance - I got a 3X30min session pack with 2 left, so I guess it I'll just see how it goes! Will report back with videos etc as I get them :D 

2 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Range of motion. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DERF!!!

• Like 1

First attempt at posing selfie LOL (I gots no game) Off to lunch with some friends I haven't seen in weeks, then working my first event pretty much since before the traveling started. Gonna be a big one too, so that should be fun/crazy!

(Was busting out of these jeans this time last year, another inch or so and they're going on the donation pile!)

WCElEwF.jpg

• Like 10

So in IPF / GBPF, your butt needs to stay on the bench, is that maybe what he's saying? Videos would be great! (And not just because I enjoy lifting videos of any kind, and I've already watched the entire internet, promise.)

• Like 3

That looks like your "I'm so not impressed face" :D

Good job on the pr's! Beaaaast.

Lack of arch is technically better for hypertrophy but very few people train that way these days. Did he actually explain why or did he just say it?

• Like 1

Is your goal specifically to compete in a powerlifting competition? If it is then I would put up a fight, if not, I would probably not worry about it.

You still want to kind of "tuck your shoulder blades into your back pockets" when setting up so that you have stability.

59 minutes ago, evabo said:

So in IPF / GBPF, your butt needs to stay on the bench, is that maybe what he's saying? Videos would be great! (And not just because I enjoy lifting videos of any kind, and I've already watched the entire internet, promise.)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Is your goal specifically to compete in a powerlifting competition? If it is then I would put up a fight, if not, I would probably not worry about it.

You still want to kind of "tuck your shoulder blades into your back pockets" when setting up so that you have stability.

That is my favorite cue!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

That is my favorite cue!

Mine is to stick your chest out like you are trying to show off your tatas, automatically pulls your shoulder blades in and down. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hermione Gainser said:

Dannnnnng girl. Three pages already.  It's the selfies isn't it?  Brings all the nerds to the yard. 

Nice job on the PRin'! 

Haha thanks! It's mostly just cause I need all the help I can get :P Selfies scare me! (But fun fact, I went to HS with the milkshake girl, and while she was super nice, we did not actually have a yard of any kind.)

3 hours ago, Flex Luthor said:

That looks like your "I'm so not impressed face" :D

Good job on the pr's! Beaaaast.

Lack of arch is technically better for hypertrophy but very few people train that way these days. Did he actually explain why or did he just say it?

Pretty much, it's my - GAH - time to take a selfie and pretend to be okay with it even though I hate it face ;) 

I'm not 100% if he got into it in detail, I don't think so. He's a bit of a fast talker it was all kind of a blur. I'll be sure to grill him in greater detail next time, tbh I was pretty of overwhelmed!

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Nah, I never even considered it until I met everyone here, like, maybe if my numbers look good in the future I'd consider a local thing for fun. I'm mostly after muscle density for good health, since, well, I'm not gettin any younger! I'll experiment with shoulders tomorrow for sure, and he won't be around so I think I'll feel a little more free to explore.

_____

Thanks all for the thoughts, so much. It's such a jumble in my head! So much to be thinking about. Good news at least, I'm no longer driving with my toes, which I apparently have been doing this whole time. (KF thing). One of the main details that stuck and seems to help quite a bit!

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Mine is to stick your chest out like you are trying to show off your tatas, automatically pulls your shoulder blades in and down. 

hahaha. tatas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evabo said:

Yeah! I'll bug him for them. Totally insecure about posting video, cause, well, photos, but trying to get over it and would love all your feedback of course!!

• Like 1

VIDEO.  A from check is super helpful.  As hard as it is to make the leap, I vote that you talk yourself into posting one.

I did.  And I looked terrrrrible in the first ones, but the comments helped so much that it was worth it. 

Hazard, over in the assassins, posts them with a bag or a towel over his head.  Which I think is hilarious.  My first one I had sunglasses on. 

• Like 3