• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Redstone Seeks Ore & Makes Tools

WOW. I am batting zero today on how to use the internet. Meant to quote this, totally edited original post. Sorry world.

______

Adulting went okay... despite the sort of major setback of sed dead mouse in the laundry (sterilizing the machine, rewashing and sanitizing the loads etc.) I'll take a C+ but be grateful for a C-

Plant deck/harden seedling forrest 

Put up deer fence (needed equipment, got it. Going up tomorrow)

Laundry

Clean out fridge and pantry

Blow out

Get kill traps :( 

Dishes

At least the DOMS are retreating. Got it in my head how I'm gonna deal with the session tomorrow, so ready to go, hopefully after a good night's sleep! 

At least the whole thing finally brought up the pantry issue. his thing was pretty packed, at least it was an excuse to go through it all. (Got rid of some stuff dating back to exp. 2012. Yikes.) Little annoyed about loosing all my grains. Time to rebuild!

McnxKLE.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Massive adulting today, hope I'm not taking on too much but I've got a lot of neglect to make up for as of late.

Plant deck/harden seedling forrest

Put up deer fence

Laundry

Clean out fridge

Blow out

Get kill traps :( 

Feeling stressed about the trainer situation. Form checks here seem to disagree with everything he's been telling me, plus I had a super wonky bench session yesterday that I'm not feeling good about. I guess my biggest anxiety is that it won't work out, I'll basically not want to go forward with him, but then I'll see him all the time and I'd rather it wasn't weird. Gah. Still have two more sessions on the books with him, going to see if I can be more commanding about my concerns tomorrow...

I know it may be awkward, but don't stick with a trainer that isn't working for you.  Obviously no one needs to be a jerk about it, but simply say you would like to check out other options before making a decision on whom to go with.  I still talk to my first trainer from time to time on fb, so you can still have a good relationship with someone like that post working with them.  And good luck with all the adulting, those sound more fun than sitting at my desk all day ;)  I'm weird though...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TiffanyD said:

I know it may be awkward, but don't stick with a trainer that isn't working for you.  Obviously no one needs to be a jerk about it, but simply say you would like to check out other options before making a decision on whom to go with.

29 minutes ago, Captain Badass said:

Just caught up the thread. Well done! Good luck with the adulting, and like everyone else is saying - change trainers if this one isn't working for you.

Ya, I feel like I lost control of that first session and don't intend to let that happen again. Being so new at everything I kind of feel like I'm at everyone's mercy advise wise, and not in a bad way, I want to consider everything, just makes me be a bit less assertive than usual ;)  Worst case, I have no problem saying that I need some time to digest before moving forward either way.

• Like 2

And honestly, if he is giving you different answers/tips whatever than people on form checks here, keep in mind most of us here are not experts by any means and he is. It's also hard to tell things from a video. Give him a couple of sessions before you decide :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I always lift like crap when I am exhausted.   Always.   Deloading sounds to me like a result of too little sleep...

yeah, I really got what, maybe 3 hours that night. Kind of silly thinking I just go in a knock out a full set lol. Tomorrow gets accessories, no excuses!!

_____

Meanwhile, mouse #1 is out of the picture, thanks to adulting the laundry. SIGH. I don't know what it is about critters wanting to die in my laundry, second time this year. Gross!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Meanwhile, mouse #1 is out of the picture, thanks to adulting the laundry. SIGH. I don't know what it is about critters wanting to die in my laundry, second time this year. Gross!!!

See. my worst case dead mouse scenario is in the ceiling or wall... where i can't get to it to stop the decomposingness stink out the room for a week. 

Don't forget recovery is as big a portion of your lifting as your lifting actually is, (generic 2c: If i don't get enough sleep in, I eat a ton to try to make up for it), so don't sweat it a bad day, or even a bad week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pat G said:

See. my worst case dead mouse scenario is in the ceiling or wall... where i can't get to it to stop the decomposingness stink out the room for a week. 

Don't forget recovery is as big a portion of your lifting as your lifting actually is, (generic 2c: If i don't get enough sleep in, I eat a ton to try to make up for it), so don't sweat it a bad day, or even a bad week. 

This was a major issue when we lived in the city- our apartment shared an alley with a movie theater and rats were just part of it. Was up all night with a little guy stuck in the wall behind our closet... scratching away :( 

Rest. Ugh, Ya. I'm still having trouble getting back to my routine but it needs to happen. I got a good 7-8 hours last night so hopefully today will be better! Will find out soon... almost time to go meet the trainer.

We live sort of in the country and had a couple mice when winter set in. Nothing got eaten but I've had that happen when I lived in a farm house in the past. So I immediately got plastic tubs with lids to put all the grains/seeds/nuts/rice in. Now I sleep more soundly at night knowing my carb/gainz stash is safe. I highly reccomend it. ;) It's not as tidy looking having bins of bags but it works. 

All the mice did was dig in a few of my houseplants. It was so weird. I thought it wasn't mice at first because they didn't eat any of my food, but we caught 2-3 in traps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

We live sort of in the country and had a couple mice when winter set in. Nothing got eaten but I've had that happen when I lived in a farm house in the past. So I immediately got plastic tubs with lids to put all the grains/seeds/nuts/rice in. Now I sleep more soundly at night knowing my carb/gainz stash is safe. I highly reccomend it. ;) It's not as tidy looking having bins of bags but it works. 

All the mice did was dig in a few of my houseplants. It was so weird. I thought it wasn't mice at first because they didn't eat any of my food, but we caught 2-3 in traps. 

Huh, that's kind of amazing that there was nothing better for them than houseplants! We talked tupperware and that's the plan going forward. Sadly, teeny mouse #2 succumbed to one of the traps, but it was quick, so I'd say much more humane than going through the wash!

DL with the trainer this morning. I told him I was struggling with bench and he said we'd work on it again soon. Okay, not my best but we only had 30 mins and jumped right into DL form which I was eager for. When I asked why he was so against mixed grip (at 145 I started with straps.) He said - if you're gonna do olympic lifts, train the way they lift. (Didn't know olympic lifting required overhand.) DL's got heavy, I was feeling pretty beat at the end of it and my back was complaining, so just did a handful of back and core stuff and called it.

Working on the garden after lunch, it's lovely out so I'm hoping for a better day than yesterday - I had some trouble with a variety things, including embarrassing myself in a way that made me want to step back and explain my alternative lifestyle, something I don't feel like I should have to do. I resisted the urge, but felt it all day anyway. :( Getting over it...  

~Deadlifts~

1X5 45#

1X5 135# (max reps)

1X5 145# (max reps)

1X3 150# (PR max reps)

Romanian Deadlifts 3X15 15#bb

Bent Rows 2X15 15#bb

Straight Lat Pulldown 3X15 30#

15X Side twists with strength band

30X Deadbugs

30X Birdog

Afterwards it was time to eat all the things. Got half a chicken and trying to power through the last of it now... struggling. Green beans and spinach, mashed potatoes and cornbread. Working to get back on track with rest and macros. 

Happy Wednesday ya'll!

twHnPf7.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

When I asked why he was so against mixed grip (at 145 I started with straps.) He said - if you're gonna do olympic lifts, train the way they lift. (Didn't know olympic lifting required overhand.)

Okay. :)  Here are the two Olympic Lifts, kind of broken down, as well as I can describe it:  (a lot of detail is left out)

Snatch:  The bar starts on the ground.  You grab it with a very wide grip.  (I have long monkey arms, so I am pretty much at the collars.)  You pull the weight up past the knees and to the hips.  Then you explode the weight upwards and pop under the bar.  You are now sitting in the bottom of a squat with the weight overhead.  Now you stand up with the weight overhead.

Clean and Jerk:  Just like the Snatch, the bar starts on the ground.  You grab it with a more neutral grip and pull it past the knees and to the hips.  Again, you explode the weight upwards and pop downwards and catch the weight on the shoulders at the bottom of the squat.  Now you stand the weight upwards and adjust your grip as necessary to complete the jerk.  Then dip down and up to give the bar enough momentum to jump underneath the bar to catch it with the arms fully extended.  Then recover into a full standing position with the weight overhead.

I will leave it up to you to determine why a mixed grip would be bad. :D

20 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I didn't know your goal was olympic lifts! If it is, I guess his rationale makes more sense

It depends.  A clean is not a deadlift and a deadlift is not a clean.  So my opinion is if training cleans, then train cleans.  If training deadlifts, then train deadlifts.

The objective of a clean and the objective of a deadlift are different.  When you are doing a clean pull, then your objective is to get the weight into an ideal position to pop the weight up to your shoulders.  When the weight is in that position, the lift has just started, not finished.  In a deadlift, your objective is to stand up with the weight in your hands with your hips fully extended.

Just deadlift the weight, then jump and shrug, bro! :panda:

-------------------------------------------------------

Is he telling you to hook grip?  That is where you grab your thumbs.  It is also known as the "I hate my thumbs" grip.  It is very strong once you get used to it.

Dom from BroScience describes DL grips very well, all kidding aside.  He says:

He eliminates straps right away.  He says get stronger.  (Except Strongman DL use straps.)

He says a normal double overhand grip is like grabbing a toy from "The Claw" game.  The rest of your body will get stronger faster than your grip.

He says by the time you learn about the hook grip, it is too late.  It is like learning a foreign language.

He calls the mixed grip your home run swing.  This is what everybody ends up using.

Spezzy's bf uses a double overhand hook grip to lift 800 pounds.

--------------------------------------

TLDR:  How do you feel about hook grip?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

I didn't know your goal was olympic lifts! If it is, I guess his rationale makes more sense

35 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

TLDR:  How do you feel about hook grip?

19 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I think you probably overwhelmed her....

LOL, truth is, at this point I really don't have goals that involve specific competitive events. I like the big lifts, so I do them! Personally, I like mixed, overhand is fine, straps feel good *shrugs I'm pretty easy so far as all that goes. (Haven't tried grip hook before...) It's all so new to me, yeah, it's a little overwhelming, but I'd rather have a long list of stuff to try out while I'm getting going. (And pretty overwhelmed learning about accessories at the moment...)

I just want to get strong and stay strong as I get older. You know, for like, health and junk! :P 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I think you probably overwhelmed her....

Do less.

TBBH, I respect and appreciate your blunt honesty. :D

And I am really trying to figure out all this stuff for myself. :lol:

• Like 2

TBBH, I respect and appreciate your blunt honesty.

And I am really trying to figure out all this stuff for myself. :lol:

Don't worry, I was already overwhelmed :P but, you know, in a good way :D

Sent from somewhere in the universe

• Like 1

Gardening was a success! Finally. Deer fence, build trellis, plant a bunch of stuff from the seedling forrest, check. Also had myself a beer in the mid afternoon sun. Been awhile :D Now to eat more of the things and see about an early night.

KdVpclQ.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Gardening was a success! Finally. Deer fence, build trellis, plant a bunch of stuff from the seedling forrest, check. Also had myself a beer in the mid afternoon sun. Been awhile :D Now to eat more of the things and see about an early night.

KdVpclQ.jpg

GREAT WORK!

What's growing?

• Like 1

Your garden looks awesome! Inspiring, will have to do a winter clean up of our place.

With the pantry thing and critters, I use glass jars with the rubber sealers on the lids. You can get them all sizes. I use these because they keep food fresher, rodents can't get into them, but neither can cockroaches, weevils or ants. I have seen mice squeeze into and out of normal plastic tubs ( they were eating the kids play dough out of the craft box ), but the ones we had were kinda cheap, but had "sealed" lids. Just a thought, plus the jars look nice and are easy to clean. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Badass said:

GREAT WORK!

What's growing?

:D Thank you! Today the artichokes, peppers, watermelon grapes and pickling cucumbers got planted, and the spikey stuff on the left is a bed of garlic from Fall. (Oh and some decorative gourd vines outside the fence... hope the critters don't like them! Ordered about 20 grow bags for the rest of the seedlings - cherry tomatoes, patty pan squash, sunflowers and blue corn. (I think that's it!) Herbs and greens go on the deck... I did a few today but need to go pick up the rest tomorrow :) Very excited for this years garden!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

:D Thank you! Today the artichokes, peppers, watermelon grapes and pickling cucumbers got planted, and the spikey stuff on the left is a bed of garlic from Fall. (Oh and some decorative gourd vines outside the fence... hope the critters don't like them! Ordered about 20 grow bags for the rest of the seedlings - cherry tomatoes, patty pan squash, sunflowers and blue corn. (I think that's it!) Herbs and greens go on the deck... I did a few today but need to go pick up the rest tomorrow :) Very excited for this years garden!

That's amazing! Wish I had a garden - hopefully I'd remember to actually eat some of the stuff I'd grown too... Good luck with the critters!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Badass said:

That's amazing! Wish I had a garden - hopefully I'd remember to actually eat some of the stuff I'd grown too... Good luck with the critters!

Haha, yeah I can be pretty bad about harvesting, though we were able to get ourselves together enough last year to can the tomatoes, so that was something anyway. LOL while I was tilling I found a whole mess of carrots that I missed last year. Ah well, trial and error!

• Like 1