Maigahane Does All The Things

Maigs

Maigahane
Viking Level 2

I constantly fight with wanting to do all the things and knowing that I should be more reasonable. This challenge I'm saying fuck-it, I'll do all the things, but at a reasonable level. I'm starting this as of 5/1/16 for a full 5 weeks

Maigahane Arms Herself for Battle - Strength

• Strength Training an average of 3x/week (15x total). This can be as simple as doing some bodyweight squats, pushups, and situps at home
  • Bonus - Be able to do a full pushup by the end of the challenge

Maigahane Limbers Up - Dexterity

• Stretch at least 5x/week (25x total)

Maigahane Runs for Her Life - Constitution

• Cardio an average of 3x/week (15x total). Preferably C25k but until I know my stomach/side/kidney is okay this can be as simple as a walk, though not my lunch walks since those are already habits and don't push me

Maigahane Expands Her Horizons - Intelligence

• Practice Spanish on Duolingo an average of 6x/week (30x total)

Maigahane Saves the World - Wisdom

• Channel my inner hippy Druid and ride my bike to work an average of 3x/week (15x total) weather permitting.
  • Bonus - ride to do an errand instead of drive

Maigahane Battles Cavities - Charisma

• Floss/listerine an average of 4x/week (20x total). I have good teeth overall but the years of soda drinking took a toll and I need to get them strong again

I don't have a point system because I can't think of a way to set my own point/progression system where I'm the only one following my arbitrary rules that doesn't feel silly to me. However if I do 90% I will buy myself some small adjustable dumbbells and a fun workout tank.

Yesterday's weigh in put me at exactly 40lbs down from my highest weight and .2lbs away from my low when I lost weight 3 years ago. I'd love to lose another 5lbs this challenge, which is in line with my average weight loss so far this year, but I care less about the number than how I look and feel

• Like 4

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Week 0 Day 1

Took the dog and hubs on a 30 minute walk, stretched, Duolingo'd, and flossed. Food was completely on point except the ~1 cup of ice cream that I do not regret. While it's not an official goal I'd like to have some sort of penance for food cheats to at least make me think about what I'm eating (is this candy bar really worth 10 burpees?). I didn't do any last night since I was afraid anything I could think of would aggravate my side

Str - 0/15

Dex - 1/25

Con - 1/15

Int - 1/30

Wis - 0/15

Cha - 1/20

• Like 1

Very Rangerly Title.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

There's a lot of RangerBrain going on over here.  Love it!

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Embrace the Rangerbrain! Following!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I love the Do It All (in moderation) strategy.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Maigahane.Does.ALL.The.Things

Week 0 Day 2

Biked to work, lunch walk, biked home, went to the gym for strength training, Duolingo'd, stretched, flossed. Also ate well though kicked myself a little for mindlessly snacking on bran flakes instead of measuring out an amount and eating that, but seriously, it's bran flakes :)

I kept the workout light but afterwards noticed that even when I take a really deep breath I have no pain in my side so I'm (hopefully) back to normal. Plan is to try jogging tonight though I'll probably step back to Week 3 of C25k again because A - I'm out of shape and B - I don't want to push things too much yet until I've had at least a week of no pain

Workout was:

Dumbbell Curl - 12lbs x20/30/30
Tricep extension - 15lbs x 20/20/12

Incline Pushups - 20/20/15

Heavily assisted chin-ups - 5/5/5

Out & fronts? - 5lbs x10/10/8 (not sure what these are called but 5lbs dumbbells x2, out to the sides to shoulder height and down,then in front to shoulder height and down)

Kettlebell goblet squats - 15lbs x 15/15/12

Situps x15/15/15

And.....(drumroll) this morning I weighed the lowest I have in 5+ years! When I moved to this state in 2008 I weighed about 175 (I think...). In 2012 I got to a high of 222.4 then lost 40lbs in about 6 months to get to 182.2. I hit that exact weight a few times but couldn't get below it, then fell off track and slowly gained back a bit over 15lbs. Got back on track at the beginning of the year and this morning I was 181.8!

• Like 5

Week 0 Day 3

Restarted Week 3 of C25k and did really well. I might have found a good rhythm for breathing to keep me from feeling asthmatic. I didn't ride to work since I had an offsite meeting but I did stretch and floss. I almost forgot Duolingo but squeezed in a few lessons after getting in bed. Food was pretty good even though we ended up going out due to poor planning. I got a veggie from Subway and the only parts worth tracking (non-veggies) was flatbread and honey mustard.

Went grocery shopping yesterday and spent way more time than normal trying to plan for lunches, snacks, and dinner tonight since we're gaming and I think I got good options to keep me from eating crap like I normally do when pressed for time

• Like 1

Following.  Congrats on the new low!  It's a great feeling!  Woohoo!  

I just recently mastered the full pushup.  Interestingly, what got me there was 30 days of yoga that included lots of slow descents from plank to the floor.  Go figure!  I've been doing knee pushups for what feels like 8 million years! (ok, I'm old, but not THAT old).

Rangering since Sept 2015

Ooh, I'm glad you said that! I was thinking of doing something similar. My brain is blanking on the term but I've read a few places that suggest doing that same idea for pullups (jump up then lower yourself down as slow as you can) to build towards pullups so I though it should help with pushups too. I'll definitely have to start those. Sad to say I can't even quite to knee pushups right now. I'm decent on pulling exercised but my pushing muscles suck

I've also only recently mastered* full pushups. I started with knee pushups and then did negatives (full pushup going down, knee pushup going up).

If you can't do knee pushups yet, do pushups against a wall (standing), on your kitchen counter, or on a stair.

You'll get there!

(*by "mastered," I mean I can do a few. I'm still a work in progress like everyone else here).

Happy to be following.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

7 minutes ago, Xena said:

I've also only recently mastered* full pushups. I started with knee pushups and then did negatives (full pushup going down, knee pushup going up).

If you can't do knee pushups yet, do pushups against a wall (standing), on your kitchen counter, or on a stair.

You'll get there!

(*by "mastered," I mean I can do a few. I'm still a work in progress like everyone else here).

Happy to be following.

That's a good idea for when I can do knee pushups. I'm doing half knee pushups per my trainer and incline pushups on the smith machine when I'm at the free gym

The term you are looking for is "negative."

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/ 

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 0 Day 4

Well I rode my bike to work and planned my food very well so I didn't eat any crap (besides the last two mini bueno but those were planned) even though it was game night with almost no time between work and gaming. Unfortunately that's all I did. No stretching, duolingo, or flossing even though all three of those would have taken me like 20 minutes. I think I need to get up a tad earlier (you know, like when the alarm actually goes off) on these days

• Like 4

Has anyone invented a way to make extra time to do all the things yet? I feel like in general I don't over-commit myself and get anxious if I have too many things scheduled but lately I seem to have too many long-range projects.

Fitness

House remodel

Decluttering

Completely reorganizing at work (too much stuff left status quo for 10+ years then all of a sudden everything changes but processes and documentation have not been updated)

Okay, not too many, but too big. I unintentionally wrote these in order of priority and the fitness has been going fairly well but the rest are at a standstill which drives me crazy. This weekend we have a graduation party (that I may try to skip) and an airshow to go to so I probably won't make a ton of progress on the house. I'd love to come into work for a few hours and work in peace but that is lowest on my priorities.

Not really looking for advice because the answer is just do it as you can but needed to vent because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and frustrated

• Like 3

Vent away, that's what we are here for.

• Like 1

My city is putting on a trail ride in June with four options for distances: 6, 16, 28, and 50 miles. Keep in mind I bought my bike in August after having not riding one in about 15 years. I'm sure I can do the 16 mile one since I've already done two other rides around 20 miles but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough for the 28 miler. Especially since I'm very slow and possibly asthmatic. On one of the 20 milers a friend who is asthmatic offered me his inhaler because I was having such a hard time catching my breath and we finished last because I had to stop often to keep that from getting that bad again. Granted that was also in August so I'd had the bike less than a month but I'm only in slightly better shape now. Luckily I don't even have to decide until the day of which one I'm doing so I can do some longer rides before then to see how I do.

And I wonder why I have problems finding time for everything. Sigh *rangerbrain*

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 5

I did strength training, stretching, flossing, and Duolingo. And did the Darebee daily dare for the PVP. My overhead strength is terrible! I had the break the daily dare into three parts because I just could not keep up the Angels for more than a minute at a time. Then at the gym I decided to work on it and did overhead presses and struggled with very light weights

Since last time was all free weights I did mostly machines this time. I generally try to avoid the machines but I figure I'm okay if I don't just do those. They're easier (setup-wise) and some days I need that

Bench press machine: 50lbs x 12 / 52.5lbs x 10 / 45lbs x 8

Seated machine Rows: 85lbs x 12 / 90lbs x 12 / 95lbs x 10

Incline pushups (on a lower setting) 10/8/8

"Chin up" pull downs: 85lbs x 10 / 80lbs x 10 / 77.5lbs x 8

Ab crunch machine: 90lbs x 10 x 3

Machine overhead press: 20lbs x 10 / 17.5lbs x 10 / 15lbs x 10

Then 10 minutes on the treadmill at 10% incline at 3mph, would have gone longer but it was late and I needed to shower, which by the way, washing and drying my insanely thick hair sucks after the overhead work I did

Tonight we have a graduation party to go to right after work. I might see if hubs cares if I go run first and get there late. I need to run tonight and strength train tomorrow to stick with my goals. Tomorrow is gaming and this weekend is the airshow with the Blue Angels so it's a busy weekend of nothing productive happening. But hey, I get to see (and hear/feel) the Blue Angels so that's worth it right? They've been practicing over the city this week which made for a very distracted drive to my offsite meeting yesterday. We might bike to the airshow which would fulfill my bonus goal of biking for an errand

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 6 (Friday)

Rode my bike to work. Didn't end up going for a run before the graduation party but I did refrain from eating junk food and cake there. Squeezed in Duolingo, stretching, and flossing before going to bed

Week 0 Day 7 (Saturday)

Went to the airshow. Didn't end up biking because we scouted it out Friday night and there are no good routes for a bike (major construction one way and roads that would have a lot of traffic with no shoulders the other way) but I did a ton of walking (counting that as my cardio). Ate semi-crap all day, yogurt parait at cracker barrel for breakfast, nachos and bean burrito from Taco Bell for lunch, and entire box of Wheat Thins for dinner. I was actually thinking I needed a higher calorie day since I'd been running a little too much of a deficit this week but I meant for it to be all good food, not junk. Still woke up this morning at 181.2 so can't complain too much. Also stretched, Duolingo'd, and flossed

• Like 1

Week Zero Recap:

STR: Strength training - 2/3 - fell a little behind but not too badly

DEX: Stretching - 6/5 - Ahead of the game on this one. Noticing some increased flexibility

CON: Cardio - 3/3 - Doing well on this though it feels like cheating to count taking the dog for a walk and walking around the airshow. But I didn't count bike commuting so that evens out right?

INT: Duolingo - 6/6 - On track. I caught up to where I was in high school though so now I have to actually start learning instead of just remembering

WIS: Bike to work - 3/3 - On track, just need to keep it up

CHA: Floss/Listerine - 6/4 - Doing well so far, again, just need to keep it up

Overall kicking ass out of the gate, now I just need to keep up the motivation for the rest of the challenge. Like most people I usually do really well for a week or so then drop off. I did finally break a low weight I hit three years ago and have stayed below it all week so that's a nice bit of motivation to keep it going. Hoping to see 17x by the end of this week

• Like 3

Week 1 Day 1

A bit of a slow start to the week. I did Week 3 of C25k and my new breathing technique is working! I did not have to gasp for breath at all. So tomorrow I'll restart week 4 and hopefully not feel like I'm going to die this time. I also did Duolingo but that was all from my challenge goals. I've been doing the Daily Dare PvP also and did both days this weekend with extra credit

• Like 2

Future challenge goal: wean myself off of caffeine. I don't drink coffee or soda (anymore) but I have a water flavoring mix that has a ton of caffeine in it that I tend to drink twice a day. Not for the caffeine mind you but because it's freaking delicious (blueberry acai, mmmmm). Well I ran out at work last week and forgot to bring more with me today and I have a headache :'(

Well, thanks to severe weather (that kept me at work for an extra 1.5 hours since all the grandmothers wouldn't let me drive in some rain) I couldn't make it to the gym tonight for my strength training. So I did it at home:

Knee pushups (as low as I can go): 10x3

ATG Squats: 15x3

Dips: 10x3

Reverse crunches: 15x3

Calf raises: 50x3

Lunges: 6x3 (each leg)

ETA: also did stretching and Duolingo

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a really great zero week. It's great that you are going to sign up for a trail ride! Is a friend going to do it with you? Were your previous 20-milers also on trails of similar difficulty? If you've done trail of similar difficulty, I would say go for it! If it would be harder than what you've done before, 16 miles might be good. The distance really doesn't matter, it's just great to have a goal.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016