The Scarlet Pimpernel vs. The Big Scary Test

Teancum

On May 20 I have a big exam that covers the first two years of medical school. As such I thought an appropriate theme for this challenge would be to tackle the major body systems that I'm going to be studying anyway!

Cardio-pulmonary: Jog/bike for 30 min 2x per week

Musculoskeletal: Do a body weight workout 3x per week

Gastrointestinal: Eat a paleo(ish) diet with 4 variances allowed (either a meal or a normal sized serving of a treat)

Neurological: Study for my test at least 30 min 6 days a week

I'm hoping to work in a bit more cardio on my off-days for body weight workout. I'm also hoping the paleo diet with variances will help me change my attitude towards food so I'm not eating well some days and pigging out others.

anatomy diagram

• Like 5

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Here for this!

Also, I love that image from awkward yeti, it's so TRUE!

• Like 2

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

2 hours ago, Trewest said:

Here for this!

Also, I love that image from awkward yeti, it's so TRUE!

Look forward to more in the coming weeks! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

Posting for yesterday and today - so far things are going well!

Cardio/Pulm - no cardio yet (0/2)

GI - Paleo yesterday and today, with one variance today (1/4)

MSK - Body weight workout today (1/3)

Neuro - 30 min studying yesterday and today (2/6)

I had planned to do my body weight workout yesterday, but I got distracted looking up the best routine for me online... At least I got it done today though.

Grocery Shopping

I decided on a modified version of the startbodyweight progression to do until get the flexibility/strength necessary for some of the other exercises. Critiques are welcome! I'm still pretty new at this.

I did this as a circuit:

Deep squat to stool 4, 4, 4
Butt on ground table pulls 8, 8, 8
Milk jug military press 10, 10, 10
Bent leg raises 4, 4, 4
Table incline pushup 4, 4, 4
Plank 30, 30, 30

10 min static stretch

• Like 2

Spoiler

21 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Critiques are welcome!

Looks fine.  I'm not the biggest fan of the startbodyweight progressions.  But they aren't bad.  You'll get stronger on them.

With what you're doing, my only suggestion would be to consider increasing the weight on the Milk Jug Press, somehow, if your goal is strength-building.  3x10 is moving out of the prime strength building range.  You'll still build strength as the reps increase, but you can build strength faster and more efficiently if you find a way to increase the weight of those Presses such that you're back down in the 3-6 rep range.

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Looks fine.  I'm not the biggest fan of the startbodyweight progressions.  But they aren't bad.  You'll get stronger on them.

With what you're doing, my only suggestion would be to consider increasing the weight on the Milk Jug Press, somehow, if your goal is strength-building.  3x10 is moving out of the prime strength building range.  You'll still build strength as the reps increase, but you can build strength faster and more efficiently if you find a way to increase the weight of those Presses such that you're back down in the 3-6 rep range.

Thanks Hazard! That's definitely something I'm looking into. Also milk jugs are kind of awkward to hold for a military press anyways. I'm looking online for some cheap dumbbells that will hopefully replace it soon.

Any suggestions for other progressions? It's hard to know what's good without much past experience. I'm looking for something balanced (all the major muscle groups) and scalable (since I'm in no state to do many of the often recommended exercises I've seen).

Spoiler

Today was pretty good! I stuck to my diet, using one of my variances, including making some quick yummy stir fry when I wasn't sure what to eat. I also went for a jog, which is the first time in a while. For some reason my shoulder/neck is hurting today, and I can't tell if it was aggravated by the jog or something I did yesterday. Hopefully I'll still be able to get in my body weight workout tomorrow. I will also study for 30 minutes before bed.

Cardio/Pulm - 1/2

GI - 2/4 variances

MSK - (1/3)

Neuro - 3/6

Run today: 30 minutes, 3.35 km, average 6.5 km/h, ran 8:45 before taking a walking break

May the 4th be with you!

Star Wars

• Like 2

Spoiler

Following along!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

22 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Thanks Hazard! That's definitely something I'm looking into. Also milk jugs are kind of awkward to hold for a military press anyways. I'm looking online for some cheap dumbbells that will hopefully replace it soon.

Any suggestions for other progressions? It's hard to know what's good without much past experience. I'm looking for something balanced (all the major muscle groups) and scalable (since I'm in no state to do many of the often recommended exercises I've seen).

Nah.  Do what you've chosen to do, and you can worry about learning how to tackle the sticking points in that particular cookie-cutter program when you reach them.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

So I've been totally MIA this week. My wife turns 30 today so I was busy over the weekend throwing a party for her, and with Mothers Day yesterday. There was some good, some bad, and some ugly...

The good: I did all three body weight workouts for the week, and despite the bad and the ugly managed to lose about 2 pounds! I'm getting close to my first weight milestone, so I'm very happy about that.

The bad: I ran once, but it hurt my knees a lot more than I thought it would. For this reason, I think I'm going to modify the goal to just be once a week - I think my knees can handle that, and I'll still be moving towards jogging more regularly. I'm still walking a lot too, so that's good. I also missed studying on Saturday due to above mentioned party planning.

The ugly: I fell off with food at the end of the week. Friday we stayed up late cleaning and I got incredible munchies and gave in, using my 4th variance. With my wife's birthday party on Saturday and Mothers Day at the in-laws yesterday, I had a few more variances. That said, I didn't do as poorly as I could have. I chose not to have any rolls/potatoes at the mothers day dinner, and I only had one sandwich at the birthday party. I think having the variances (and knowing I'd have to report them) helped me maintain somewhat of a state of control.

Weekly summary:

Cardio/Pulm - 1/2 (modifying goal - that is what zero week is for right!)

GI - 9/4 variances

MSK - 3/3

Neuro - 5/6

I'm also excited for the mini! I'm hoping it'll encourage me to study for longer and still keep up on my exercise. I'm going for Super Strength (body weight workouts), Super Toughness (walking and jogging, and maybe biking once school's done), and Super Intelligence (studying for this crazy test!) Go Team X-men!

Mother’s Day

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm here to support my fellow X-men!

IMG_1833.JPG

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm here to support my fellow X-men!

IMG_1833.JPG

Love it!!!!

Spoiler

Ok, first week 1 post. I promised myself I'm going to do better at posting this week.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, so we went out right when I got home from school. I got my studying in when we got home, and used 2 variances (dinner and dessert).

Today I had planned to do a body weight workout, but had a headache all evening. Between school and trying to finish a library book that was due today (got it done!) I think I had been reading words too much. I did force myself to study again tonight though. Also did some walking for the mini. I used another variance to eat some lasagne for dinner we needed to get through. I don't have anything else planned for the week, so I *think* I can make it

Cardio/Pulm - 0/2

GI - 3/4

MSK - 0/3

Neuro - 2/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 25 min, Super Intelligence: 34 min, Super Strength 0 min

Nobody cares what you think, stomach

Spoiler

Today I did a body weight workout, went for a walk and did a bit of studying. We had our last lecture day at school, which means studying for the next week and a half! I feel like my brain is over-saturated and things I try to learn (or in most cases re-learn) just wash over me instead of sinking in... oh well, I'm sure something is sticking!

Cardio/Pulm - 0/1

GI - 3/4

MSK - 1/3

Neuro - 3/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 24 min, Super Intelligence: 35 min, Super Strength 50 min

Body weight workout:

5 min dynamic stretch warmup
Deep squat to stool 5, 5, 5
Milk jug military press 11, 11, 11
Table incline pushup 5, 5, 5
Bent leg raises 5, 5, 5
Butt on ground table pulls 9, 9, 9
Plank (s) 35, 35, 35
10 min static stretch

Get up
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Keep going strong SP!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm sure something is sticking!

I feel like this sums up my whole educational learning experience. 

Awesome workout!

• Like 1

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I feel like this sums up my whole educational learning experience. 

Lol too true unfortunately haha!

Spoiler

Got in a jog today, and otherwise it was study, study, study!! I actually did pretty well at focusing (which is good for the mini, and for the first of my series of tests tomorrow)!

Cardio/Pulm - 1/1

GI - 3/4

MSK - 1/3

Neuro - 4/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 50 min, Super Intelligence: 255 min, Super Strength 0 min

Jogging Deets:  33 minutes, 3.85 km, average 6.9 km/h, ran 10:15 before taking a walking break

1230_LungDistance.png

Spoiler

Reporting for yesterday and today. Yesterday my knees were still hurting a bit from my run. I ran mostly on grass this time, and I think it helped, but it was still a bit much to do my body weight workout without a rest day in between. So today I doubled up on the workout, doing one this morning and one this evening. It actually worked pretty well!

Went out with the family for ice cream yesterday, so that was my 4th diet variance. I figured I didn't have anything planned today or tomorrow food-wise, so it should be fine. It was not fine. :( I had the munchies all day today. I kept it under control in the morning, but sneaked some snacks in the afternoon, then ended up having a quesadilla for dinner because I didn't feel like healthy food. Then a few more snacks in the evening. So between all the snacks I'm counting 2 more variances.

It seems like when I have some variances left, I can keep things under control better. I can say "no, this isn't worth using a whole variance on," and not eat it. But as soon as I run out, it's like my subconscious goes "what the heck" and starts trying to eat whatever it wants. Has anyone experienced this/have any suggestions for overcoming it?

Studying has been going well though! I did well on the first of my series of tests yesterday, and spent a good chunk of today studying for the next ones. One more week to go!!

Cardio/Pulm - 1/1

GI - 6/4

MSK - 3/3

Neuro - 6/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 0 min, Super Intelligence: 200 min, Super Strength 63 min

tongue rules them

Spoiler

Week 1 Report:

Cardio/Pulm - 1/1

GI - 7/4

MSK - 3/3

Neuro - 6/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 124 min, Super Intelligence: 554 min, Super Strength 113 min

Food was no good again this week. But slightly not as bad as last week. But not as good an excuse as last week. I'm hoping this week will be a bit better because I should be able to save some more of my variances for later in the week.

Some good news though: I somehow managed to lose 4 lbs this week! I'm entirely convinced that the scale pays no attention to what I actually do during the week, but I'll take it. This gets me really close to my first checkpoint of 270 lbs! That has been my "floor" in previous attempts to lose weight, so breaking through it will be very exciting!

I also did well on my first test on Friday. Just three more to go this coming week! So lots of studying planned, but soon to be done!!

95bda078c570754c08b1afc674fff97e.jpg

• Like 1

Spoiler

That last panel is me everyday. :( 

Woohoo for being so close to a checkpoint. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I didn't get as much studying done today as I had hoped, but still a fair amount. And I got in a body weight workout, and did pretty well with eating, so hooray for that!

Cardio/Pulm - 0/1

GI - 1/4

MSK - 1/3

Neuro - 1/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 0 min, Super Intelligence: 222 min, Super Strength 42 min

Doesn't have to do with my day today, but I did study about cholecystitis and I just love gallbladder:

Gallbladder’s Last Day

• Like 1

Spoiler

Aww poor little gallbladder. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I did two tests today! They went pretty well, and I think the extra studying yesterday helped! My legs hurt after standing all day (they were practical exams) so I didn't do my body weight workout today, but I should still be able to get both in before the end of the week. I used a variance today because my mother in law surprised us at our house and took us for dinner. Two more days until the big scary test!! But only one test left, and then Smeagol is Freeeeeeeee!!!!

Cardio/Pulm - 0/1

GI - 2/4

MSK - 1/3

Neuro - 3/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 25 min, Super Intelligence: 252 min, Super Strength 0 min (for 2 days)

Test Results

• Like 1

Spoiler

I finished the big scary test!!!! Hooray!!! It feels so nice to be done! It was harder than I thought it might be, but I think I did ok. So now I'll have to find something else to count for super intelligence. I've got a few things to work on that aren't school, so I think I'll count those for both my Neuro goal and super intelligence. But hopefully I'll also have more time for fitness-related activities too!

Yesterday I went for a jog, and today I did a body weight workout. I'll squeeze in one more workout tomorrow, and then I should be good for the week! Our class had some celebratory pizza after the test, so I used a variance for that, but I skipped the cake.

Cardio/Pulm - 1/1

GI - 3/4

MSK - 2/3

Neuro - 5/6

Mini - Super Toughness: 55 min, Super Intelligence: 228 min, Super Strength 43 min (for 2 days)

Jog:  34 minutes, 3.92 km, average 6.9 km/h, ran 13:30 before taking a walking break

Body weight workout:

Dynamic stretch warmup
Deep squat to stool 6, 6, 6
2 Milk jug military press 6, 6, 6
Table incline pushup 6, 6, 6
Bent leg raises 6, 6, 6
Bent knee table pulls 4, 4, 4
Plank (s) 40, 40, 40
Static stretch

Self Actualization Simulator 3000
  • Like 1

Spoiler