• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera picks up a battleaxe~

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

SO MUCH BUFFY LOVE! :D:D:D:D

 

YASSSS. You know? I have literally 0 friends (besides the SO) who like Buffy. We are a dying breed...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

YAY for the lifting and Cardio

BOO for the SQL (i hate sql profoundly!) 

 

I loves teh SQLs. For the most part, my brain just works that way. (I admit, there's at least one function I've hit that is just a little over my damn head, but mostly this is my jam.)

 

1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

Wow, the power of the rolling is strong! Glad to hear your back is on the mend!

 

YES

so strong

I even did rows today. I could feel my back/butt, but there wasn't pain, so I just trucked along. Nothing I was doing was super heavy today anyway due to all the deloading recently for form improvement.

Gonna roll a bunch again today.

Maybe every day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ixaera said:

 

I loves teh SQLs. For the most part, my brain just works that way. (I admit, there's at least one function I've hit that is just a little over my damn head, but mostly this is my jam.)

 

 

YES

so strong

I even did rows today. I could feel my back/butt, but there wasn't pain, so I just trucked along. Nothing I was doing was super heavy today anyway due to all the deloading recently for form improvement.

Gonna roll a bunch again today.

Maybe every day.

Everyday I'm rolling! It's official, rolling is going in my next challenge....once I pick a theme.

 

Also a SQL lover here. Though it took me a shameful amount of time to realize that SQL was the "sequel" thing that everyone was talking about in data meetings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Suzaqu said:

Everyday I'm rolling! It's official, rolling is going in my next challenge....once I pick a theme.

 

Also a SQL lover here. Though it took me a shameful amount of time to realize that SQL was the "sequel" thing that everyone was talking about in data meetings.

 

I admittedly get a little weirded out when I hear people spell it out instead with "Ess Que Ell", but it's valid too! I just didn't hear it at all for a couple of years in the beginning XD

Do you SQL for work?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for double posting in my thread here, I've just had a lot of caffeine

 

https://youtu.be/uiM5yOv5u8E

 

So, this was the more awkward set I video'd. Only 65 lbs because still working form a lot, it's still kinda bad.

Was thinking "sit back, self!" but I still see a backslash-shaped barpath (and yes, I know I looked to the side, I'm dumb... I was trying to see if I could tell barpath by comparing it to a landmark on the fail rail, won't happen again).

 

IDK HOW FIX

Maybe I should think about paying for a few trainer sessions, but this gym doesn't have a barbell trainer (it's just a rec center).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally it is bad form to make form comments on somebody's Challenge thread because it is your thread and there is a board dedicated for Form Check.  My opinion is it will get better with practice. :)

 

My analogy is you might be able to hold a hammer with the head in your hand and the handle upwards and lift it quite easily.  Turn it upside down and it is a different story.  In a squat, you have a weight sitting across your shoulders and you have to get used to stabilizing that weight.

 

How do you feel about posting in Form Check?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ixaera said:

 

I admittedly get a little weirded out when I hear people spell it out instead with "Ess Que Ell", but it's valid too! I just didn't hear it at all for a couple of years in the beginning XD

Do you SQL for work?

 

 

I used to. I was the data person for my department at the university, and SQL was the only way to manage/sort all that student data. I'm by no means an expert, but I can usually get what I need. I was definitely one of those S-Q-L people for a bit, now I feel the shame :( Do you do it for work?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Normally it is bad form to make form comments on somebody's Challenge thread because it is your thread and there is a board dedicated for Form Check.  My opinion is it will get better with practice. :)

 

My analogy is you might be able to hold a hammer with the head in your hand and the handle upwards and lift it quite easily.  Turn it upside down and it is a different story.  In a squat, you have a weight sitting across your shoulders and you have to get used to stabilizing that weight.

 

How do you feel about posting in Form Check?

 

If they're asking for comments then it isn't bad form, it's posting form comments when they hadn't said that they wanted them that's bad from. ;) 

 

Ixaera, I'll have a look when I get home. No video at work but nag me if I haven't by tonight!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work actually blew up for a bit, but NOW I will go find the Form Check board.

 

10 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

I used to. I was the data person for my department at the university, and SQL was the only way to manage/sort all that student data. I'm by no means an expert, but I can usually get what I need. I was definitely one of those S-Q-L people for a bit, now I feel the shame :( Do you do it for work?

 

No shame, that's a legit way to say it! If anyone makes fun, punch them. I do, and I sorta fell into it. I started out in hardware-grunt IT and in both my first jobs, no one else really had time or desire to figure out how to use SQL to get data back, so I just did it (not that I had a lot of time, I just liked it a lot and so I managed to make time). Then the familiarity landed me a job where I got to use it more often, and now I get to play with / troubleshoot enormous queries sometimes and SSIS (data integration tools). Not as much as I'd like. I think I'd be happier with doing some kind of SQL development work or at least building tough queries for reporting use. Not sure if that really exists as its own function, though.

 

I am studying for a cert in Sql Server so I can find a new job, actually. I suspect our team will get shoved into more of an app support role, which nope, not a fan, don't want to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Work actually blew up for a bit, but NOW I will go find the Form Check board.

 

 

No shame, that's a legit way to say it! If anyone makes fun, punch them. I do, and I sorta fell into it. I started out in hardware-grunt IT and in both my first jobs, no one else really had time or desire to figure out how to use SQL to get data back, so I just did it (not that I had a lot of time, I just liked it a lot and so I managed to make time). Then the familiarity landed me a job where I got to use it more often, and now I get to play with / troubleshoot enormous queries sometimes and SSIS (data integration tools). Not as much as I'd like. I think I'd be happier with doing some kind of SQL development work or at least building tough queries for reporting use. Not sure if that really exists as its own function, though.

 

I am studying for a cert in Sql Server so I can find a new job, actually. I suspect our team will get shoved into more of an app support role, which nope, not a fan, don't want to do it again.

I definitely fell into it too, as the only one in the department with that kind of mind. Where are you getting your cert from? I'd like to do some more formal training, and have a nice way to put it on my resume. In my job searching, I think I've definitely run across some report query-building and development jobs, so I think they do exist. I think it would be really fun to end up in some variety of data architect job (also, I've always loved that job title!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Normally it is bad form to make form comments on somebody's Challenge thread because it is your thread and there is a board dedicated for Form Check.  My opinion is it will get better with practice. :)

 

My analogy is you might be able to hold a hammer with the head in your hand and the handle upwards and lift it quite easily.  Turn it upside down and it is a different story.  In a squat, you have a weight sitting across your shoulders and you have to get used to stabilizing that weight.

 

How do you feel about posting in Form Check?

 

47 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

If they're asking for comments then it isn't bad form, it's posting form comments when they hadn't said that they wanted them that's bad from. ;) 

 

Ixaera, I'll have a look when I get home. No video at work but nag me if I haven't by tonight!

 

No worries, the more opinions the better, in theory 

I have posted it here as well: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/82291-lowbar-squat-form-check/

 

Hoping eventually I'll be awesome at spotting my own form issues, but right now it would be like me trying to write Don Quixote in the original archaic Spanish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 0, Day 3

 

Actually did cardio and some rolling today, so ahead of the game there. Throwing in extra stretches as well. Food good protein good, calories more or less where they should be (a little under, but not drastically, should pick up extra on Friday anyway). The 85% good-food challenge is probably the hardest one on the docket this go 'round. Wow, I mean wow. I had kind of assumed I was pretty close to this already. NOPE.

 

Today my off-rails food was 190 calories of a 55% almond & sea salt chocolate bar. YUM.

 

Lifts--

nothing special today, no PRs, everything got deloaded not long ago, and I'm just now about to work bench up at 1 lb increments.

I WAS able to row, so yay that. I don't think if I'd been doing nearer max that it would have been a good idea though, so good timing for deloads and bad backs I guess.

 

Squat

1x5 45 lbs

4x5 65 lbs

 

Bench

5x5 55 lbs

 

Row

5x5 50 lbs

 

Had time for accessory, did some curls, forgot to wear T-Rex shirt. Alternative to the curls and close-grip benches = chin up / pull up progression and dips at home. Possibly more canon to program. Can't do them at gym. Gym sucks a little bit. (All pull up bars are like 8 feet off the ground, no dip station anywhere. At home I have a bar AND I can line up my barstools just so for dips... but I'd have to do it at a totally separate time from the big lifts.)

 

Studied more, almost done with one of the two chapters to get done by Sunday night. 

 

Work will be uh

I got moved out of a cozy office, in which I ate my microwaved egg and kale bowl every day for a long time. The nearest microwave and fridge is 4 floors up, there's long lines for microwave use, the fridge is a game of steal-blocks-from-the-Tetris-game or maybe Jenga, unsure. Boss has said we can work from home. Might not even try not to? (Seriously, our tables for 10 people on my team are the size of two kiddie tables, no chairs, slapped with a random power strip. In the center of a hot, smelly room that resembles what I can only LOVINGLY refer to as the tech sweat shop room.)

 

Cuz seriously, how do I work with no eggs? How do I eat eggs in front of 150 people who are working? What even is life? What do people less spoiled than me do?

 

635750077949938779781960347_tumblr_lvv81

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I would adjust well to those work changes. Work from home sounds great, if you are able to focus there - think of all the mini-workouts you could do throughout the day without anyone staring!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, those work changes sound miserable! Working from home is a very different experience, but I know a ton of people who love it. Mini workouts during are definitely a bonus.

 

I like how you are tracking your 15% of "non-good food" calories, that's probably something that i should consider doing, at least unofficially.  I'm pretty good at eating the right number of calories at this point, but are they all good? Not so much. Also almond and seasalt chocolate sounds yummmmm!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it a real go this morning, and SO MUCH FAIL

I could not think, it took me twice as long to do typical morning things, it messed up my eating schedule

So I've wandered to a different part of the building, hoping no one will notice.

Will likely work from home tomorrow, but I'm the type that does like to come in at least a couple times a week, and interact with teams I work with on my issues. Maybe 3 days working from home, 2 days misery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could think of this as a challenge to vary your food game to minimize the hassle when you do work at the office?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Urgan said:

You could think of this as a challenge to vary your food game to minimize the hassle when you do work at the office?

 

Giving it thought. Sitting in my stolen spot went fine and was infinitely preferable to the Sea of Sorrow. Some nosy people but no one seemed annoyed I was there, just all wondering where my team was or if we got officially moved out of the Room Of Doom. If that continues, I can probably more or less do what I've always done. Planning to work from home 2-3x a week just to avoid drawing a lot of attention to the fact that I'm sitting somewhere I'm not assigned on days I want or need to show up.

 

If I do get stuck in the auditorium and required to show, I'll likely switch to more dry foods like trail mixes, protein bars, baked oatmeal muffins, etc. to avoid dealing with sharing a single fridge with 70 people (0 fridges right now) and an unknown microwave situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 0, Day 4

already? This week has FLOWN by.

 

So, a fail and a lesson learned today. I ate my planned off-road chocolate snack (best time of day). Then an hour later, a coworker friend offered me homemade cheesecake and I caved. :( I had a smaller slice, but that's still way less than 85% good today. I only have to do it 6 days a week, so if I don't drink a lot at the planned happy hour hahahaha who am I kidding, I will drink at that.

 

Anyway, the solution is to relocate chocolate time to the end of the work day. That way if delicious homemade snacks find me and I want some, there's some freedom there. (She worked really hard and was very nervous about her cheesecake! Really, how selfless was I >.> )

 

Got an outing point for eating good food at a restaurant (chicken wrap with veggies on the side).

 

Did some yoga, got a long walk in, finished one of the two chapters. Productive enough. I miss the writing goal, but I think I would tear out my hair if I required it. Maybe if I just scaled it way back...

 

Moar lifting tomorrow~

 

buffy-chair-spin.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Week 0, Day 4

already? This week has FLOWN by.

 

So, a fail and a lesson learned today. I ate my planned off-road chocolate snack (best time of day). Then an hour later, a coworker friend offered me homemade cheesecake and I caved. :( I had a smaller slice, but that's still way less than 85% good today. I only have to do it 6 days a week, so if I don't drink a lot at the planned happy hour hahahaha who am I kidding, I will drink at that.

 

Anyway, the solution is to relocate chocolate time to the end of the work day. That way if delicious homemade snacks find me and I want some, there's some freedom there. (She worked really hard and was very nervous about her cheesecake! Really, how selfless was I >.> )

 

But you are trying to get bigger, aren't you?

 

Your solution is good.  End of day.  If the junk shows up early, then you save it for tomorrow.  Otherwise, enjoy! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.