• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera picks up a battleaxe~

I was the gym buddy who fubared the location this time. We'd agreed to go to the one closer to her place for cardio days, I forgot and reflexively went to the normal location. Ah well. They pretty much JUST have machines, though it's possible to do carries in the hallways, it looks like. I opted for intervals on the elliptical today, just level 1 setting.

I also forgot my eggs and left my cheese in the car. Braining is hard.

Week 1, Day 2

Rest day, not bad overall. Didn't study because boyfriend was being loud with tv (headphones don't fix it enough, I basically have to study when he's reading or gone), but I have plenty of time remaining to do that this week. Did yoga. Ate the food. Hit protein reqs without the eggs (had to resort to my Quest bar to manage this, though). Stuck to my calorie limit for off-plan foods (brownie brittle and a bite of a peanut butter cup today, yum).

Moved into my new office today. It's louder than the old one, but much quieter and easier to deal with than the auditorium / tech sweat shop. 

DEADLIFTS tomorrow~

This week's big challenges are going to be coworker's birthday tres leches cake Thursday, team lunch Friday, and a housewarming Saturday. A true test of mettle, for sure.

Edit to add: oh man, forgot about Korean food Thursday night, too. These waters are deep and treacherous, my friends

• Like 1

How would a carry look for cardio, anyway? Just pick up a heavy thing, walk around until your heart's beating, put it down, then start over? 

10 minutes ago, ixaera said:

How would a carry look for cardio, anyway? Just pick up a heavy thing, walk around until your heart's beating, put it down, then start over? 

Tags are not working well for me.  Korra Brovatar would know well.

Also.  Sleds are popular.

• Like 1

Looks like an awesome challenge start. I love how you tied your hardest goal to specific real life rewards. I'm glad your office situation is working out. Mmmmmm Korean food mmmmmm! Got any plans for how you'll avoid/limit the dangers of this week?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ixaera said:

9 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Tags are not working well for me.  Korra Brovatar would know well.

Also.  Sleds are popular.

I'm doing a weighted carry challenge. I do them at the end of my lifting session, but I don't consider them to be my total cardio because it only lasts me 5-10 minutes. I had been doing farmers carry 1x week. Sunday I did suitcase carry, yesterday I did waiter carry with kettlebell. 

The most serious farmer carry I ever did was when we shoveled and wheel-barrowed 2 cubic yards of soil over a 2 hour period. :lol: Now that is a serious farmers carry workout. Haha!

Regarding sleds, sort of. I'm planning to get this to use in my yard once I am no longer broke; http://www.roguefitness.com/magic-carpet-sleds It's only for pull, not push though. 

And I am going to do a bit of rucking, hopefully starting this weekend. (rucking=walking/hiking/running with weight on your back)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Got any plans for how you'll avoid/limit the dangers of this week?

Look at the menu ahead of time, pre-log, shut down peer pressure. It gets extra hard when I don't do those things, and it's tough enough already!

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yay, stuff to read while bored at work! In a way, I already do some farmer carries because my DL isn't 135 yet, so I carry 45 lb plates to set up a platform~

Maybe I can just do 20 min interval training then do carries?

Today in the gym I saw a fit-looking tall guy curling (in the squat rack *eyes narrow*) just the empty bar. Not that many reps, maybe 3-4 sets. He was struggling!

It made me feel really good, because while I can't do as many reps as he was doing, I curl the empty bar a few times every workout (moving the bar around to change the height on the rack, moving the bar from the decline press to the ground for rows or deadlifts) and it's not really a big deal. I've started adding those single reps to my tracking because hell, they count too :P

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Today in the gym I saw a fit-looking tall guy curling (in the squat rack *eyes narrow*) just the empty bar. Not that many reps, maybe 3-4 sets. He was struggling!

That reminds me - I should be taping some of my Poverty Press sets.  Sets of 5.  Just the bar.

<---------shoulders held together with duct tape

• Like 1

Also:  Nothing quite like doing drop sets.  That is where you might start with a bunch of little plates on the bar.  Say a 45 pound bar with 4x5 pound plates on each side for a total of 85 pounds.  Do AMRAP, as many reps as possible.  Drop a pair of plates.  75 pounds.  AMRAP.  65 pounds.  AMRAP.  55 pounds.  AMRAP.  Drop the last pair of plates and we are down to the 45 pound bar and struggling.

This is when the cute girl walks by.

• Like 6

Oh man, I didn't think about a drop set. And he was already in there when I arrived, so that could totally have been it. 

Ah well! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Oh man, I didn't think about a drop set. And he was already in there when I arrived, so that could totally have been it. 

Ah well! 

Right on cue! :)

Or ones who walk up after I have started, apply a two 45s to the bar, and do a single set of half squats 5~lbs less than what I've been doing for 3-5 sets. LOL!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Or ones who walk up after I have started, apply a two 45s to the bar, and do a single set of half squats 5~lbs less than what I've been doing for 3-5 sets. LOL!

230 already?  :panda:

I must do a better job keeping up with my friends!

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

230 already?  :panda:

I must do a better job keeping up with my friends!

2 45s, not 4 lol. He was a skinny kid, too, which didn't help. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

:panda: post delivers again! :lol:

I wondered what would happen if it was 230....mighta stapled him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Schaengel said:

Just found out that you were hiding here...that's why I didn't found your thread until now...following (and will catch up later :) )

Hihi!

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3

Did the things, even though it was overall kind of a blech day. Shark week + some vague upper body tension + really annoying server issue + loud tv just life blech

Still, protein on point, food quality on point, did the lifts, studied the XQuery chapter. Accidentally accessorized curls when it was triceps day OOPS 
edited to add: at least I did them in my T-Rex shirt. embrace the irony!

Re-evaluating this after shark week and a few days of high bean content lunches, but, my largest jeans are starting to feel snug when they've never been less than super baggy on me since the weight loss, so cut time might be around the corner. (Thinking equally as gentle a cut as my recomp/minibulk attempt has been.)

Squats

1x5 45 lbs

5x5 80 lbs

Finally getting back into the work range. Still light.

https://youtu.be/9i7w-2XaQu0

OHP

5x5 48 lbs

Boyfriend shaved my 1/4 lb plate so it'd fit, but it still didn't fit. Hoping the next try is successful for when 1 lb is too much on this lift.

Still shitty form. 

https://youtu.be/PTzcfYxNNZo

Deadlift 

1x5 122 lbs

I had a video for this too but google doesn't want to upload it for reasons unknown. Oh well. I was doing this wacky thing with my head anyway. Looked like a weirdo. 

Curls

3x1 45 lbs <-- setting up and tearing down lifts, but true curls so here they sit

1x8 33.5 lbs

1x7 33.5 lbs

1x6 33.5 lbs

My tris feel so neglected :( I did chin up prog at home after lifts on Monday.

• Like 2

Your squat form has improved a lot. Back angle looks better, your bar path is a liiiittle wavy, but almost seems unreasonable to make a big deal about. How's that back feel?

Shitty is a bit of a dramatization of it, lol. You probably can tell that your back is extended the whole set, especially while holding the bar at neck level you're leaning away from it--thinking ahead to the press? The last rep looks the best of the bunch, you thrust your hips out and I bet that weight felt like it shot up compared to the others, didn't it? In fact, it looks like you actually are throwing your whole upper body forward at the top of the rep in your enthusiasm to get it to lockout. That's a problem at higher weights because if you notice how much of your arm covers up your headphones at the top of the rep (that's how you can tell where your head/upper body is vs where the bar is)? It's all over the place and on at least a couple reps the bar ends up actually going behind your midfoot a hair and at sufficiently high weights and/or bad luck you might end up dumping the weight behind you and landing on your butt (or worse). The cue for where you want the bar to be at lockout is your arms need to be in line with your ears, and your head needs to be in a neutral position stacked over your hips and feet when the bar is in lockout.

Thrust, then pop that thing overhead and try to make earmuffs of your biceps, give it a good shrug, and let it back down. Keep practicing~

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

Curls

The best thing about Curls is there is no such thing as bad form. :panda:

Otherwise.  What Urgan said.  All I saw on the OHP is the bar got a little bit forward.  Eventually the bar path will be straight.  (For heavier weights, the bar being too far forward means not getting the rep.)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

(For heavier weights, the bar being too far forward means not getting the rep.)

A thing most definitely happening at 50 lbs~

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

How's that back feel?

I am not actually feeling anything re: back on squats anymore, BUT since you mention it, I have actually tied my random back messes to sleeping on my belly after deadlift day. It's not a mess today but it's SUPER tight so very believable to me that I knocked it out of whack that way. 

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

Keep practicing~

That's the gameplan!

Ugh thunderstorm in the middle of the night, LOUD thunder. Kept me up a while, then up at 6:10 to get to the gym for cardio stuff. NO ENERGY I AM ZOMBIE

Managed 25 minutes of the interval program and then just set it to the lowest setting and strolled because I was all out of yeps for the morning.

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I am not actually feeling anything re: back on squats anymore, BUT since you mention it, I have actually tied my random back messes to sleeping on my belly after deadlift day. It's not a mess today but it's SUPER tight so very believable to me that I knocked it out of whack that way.

Owwww, yeah sleeping position will make or break you.

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Ugh thunderstorm in the middle of the night, LOUD thunder. Kept me up a while, then up at 6:10 to get to the gym for cardio stuff. NO ENERGY I AM ZOMBIE

Managed 25 minutes of the interval program and then just set it to the lowest setting and strolled because I was all out of yeps for the morning.

Textbook definition of winning in the face of adversity. Early bedtime tonight? 

• Like 2