Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

 

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.
What was, what will be, and what is,
may yet fall under the Shadow.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

 

So, here's the thing. I've read Lord of the Rings and some Game of Thrones and I know that there's lots of good stuff out there. But believe it or not, neither of those were really my first epic fantasy.

 

Oh, I mean, sure, I read LOTR as a kid, but like I didn't get it, you know? A lot of it just went in one eyeball and out the other. I think I learned more about it reading the commentaries than actually reading the book itself the first time.

 

What I'm trying to get at is that, for me, the first fantasy series that I really grokked on any level was the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

 

What is the Wheel of Time about? Basically... it's a free for all. A battle of the sexes caught up in the battle against annihilation. Man versus woman versus Evil. It's epic and awesome, and it's the kind of series where I go back and reread and always find something new to take from it.

 

And with the news coming down that the legal hurdles have been cleared and that a TV series is somewhere in the future, well... the days I have to actually finish reading this thing are numbered.

 

So, let's dig into this. The books have three protagonists at their center, each of whom represents something admirable. Although I don't know if I'll continue with the series as a theme for my challenges, I think I can make do with this lot to start.

 

RandAlThor_4537.jpg

 

Rand Al'Thor. "I am tired of running. Tired of you threatening my friends. I will run no more."

 

Rand is a stubborn fellow. He and his friends come from a place where stubbornness is a way of life. Dig deep and hold your ground.

 

My body is adapting to the work at the store. Now I must make my mind follow suit. Set the day's training agenda, and stick to it, no matter what. I always regret something rushed, but I never regret something done late in the day or in the night.

 

Mat_3444.jpg

 

Matrim Cauthon. "Blood and bloody ashes!"

 

Mat's a bit of a contrast with the others. He hears the call to adventure and, after the first one, spends a good amount of time trying to run from the call. The call, sadly, knows where he lives, and very often beats him to the place he is trying to go.

 

This one's all about locomotion. I heard there was a GoRuck happening up in Boston in November, and while I don't know if the money's going to come together to make it happen, training as if it could or would is probably going to benefit me. So, there are two things I need to grow comfy with. Moving with a pack, and swimming. So:

Find and acquire 6 bricks for the pack

Acquire and begin applying Total Immersion

 

Perrin_2757.jpg

 

Perrin Aybara. "We don't talk about being men, we just are." ("That's why you make such a bad job of it.")

 

Despite his size, Perrin's actually a very gentle young man in the beginning. He is known for being deliberate and careful with his thoughts, and given how the journey changes him, this is a Very Good Thing.

 

Continue mental training with an emphasis on awareness and correction of emotionally useless states.

 

Moiraine_7627.jpg

 

Moiraine Damodred. "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

 

Oh, Moiraine. The first real badass. More Gandalf than Gandalf to me.

 

There's no hiding that she has a story to tell, but when we first meet her, she's trying to learn stories and to understand and read the Pattern of the world around her.

 

So, a reading challenge. Finish The Eye of the World by the end of the challenge.

 

Don't laugh. It's a big book and I read slow. Though maybe I should pick up something about speed reading if I can. Maybe that would help.

 

...

 

Time to throw the dice...

  • Like 6
Link to comment
1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Let's see if I can just make a presence of myself this time around.

 

:P

 

Ditto here!

Because yeah!  I miss this pixelated face!

  • Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to comment

Stalking again. :)

you can count on me.

  • Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

 I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Link to comment

Hello, there!

 

Speed reading is a hassle to learn (due to the massive time investement needed), and while you learn it you dont really enjoy what you are reading. Thankfully Tim Ferris has posted some tips to increase you reading speed without that much work.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/06/09/speed-reading/

 

or if you have more time

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

 

 

Looking forward to a great challenge (and will have to add that book series to my reading list)

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Link to comment
18 hours ago, erosan said:

Hello, there!

 

Speed reading is a hassle to learn (due to the massive time investement needed), and while you learn it you dont really enjoy what you are reading. Thankfully Tim Ferris has posted some tips to increase you reading speed without that much work.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/06/09/speed-reading/

 

or if you have more time

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

 

 

Looking forward to a great challenge (and will have to add that book series to my reading list)

 

Welcome back!

 

Hmm, so invest time to make time. I guess the saying is true - time is money. :P But I'll definitely give those a look. And add this series!

 

11 hours ago, Mistr said:

Following.  I still haven't finished the Wheel of Time series either. I got halfway through while it was still being written and decided to wait for all the books to be out. I haven't picked it up again yet. I'm still working on the Terry Pratchett books from Sara Kingdom's recent challenges.

 

Hey, at least you know what I'm talking about. :D And certainly, Sir Pratchett is worth reading. I would have kept on except for the announcement and, well, I let GoT beat me. I'm not letting that happen again.

 

*

 

Rand: 1/1

 

Mat: -/-

 

Perrin: 1/1

 

Moiraine: 1/1

 

Quiet one today. Did S&S after some mulling over whether or not doing so before work would make me late. Decided I didn't care - for one, there's no discipline one way or the other at this job; two, I was beginning the vicious cycle again; three, I needed to test the inclusion of a new mobility drill to help keep my parts in place during TGUs.

 

Good news is, the new mobility stuff worked, and I was able to get my lifts while keeping my leg on the ground. I'll have to stay at the present amount of 3x53 and 2x70 for a while until I can execute with my wrist staying perfectly straight and such. It'll be a while, I think.

 

Bad news is, I was really late. Good news is, nobody cared. Hell, given how close they drive me to 40 hours per week, I think that unofficially they're kind of grateful that I handicap myself in terms of how many hours I get. I get the job done fast now, and I do it well, and I do it under time now. Even the mean managers I work with don't have anything to say about me now.

 

Might have to start finding quotes to post as I read. Just for fun.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Somehow I didn't get Mat. What are you doing for this one?

  • Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

 I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Link to comment

Oof. Good luck... I swore off the Wheel of Time twenty years ago, and have no desire to try again ^.^ 

 

I like the relaxed focus of your challenge goals this time. Looks like exactly what you need. 

  • Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Link to comment
19 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Somehow I didn't get Mat. What are you doing for this one?

 

The idea with Mat is to engage in locomotion - either to walk around with the backpack, or to swim. If the chance comes.

 

9 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Oof. Good luck... I swore off the Wheel of Time twenty years ago, and have no desire to try again ^.^ 

 

I like the relaxed focus of your challenge goals this time. Looks like exactly what you need. 

 

Oh no, sounds like you didn't get along with it so well. But truthfully, I'm not too worried. The first three are pretty fast compared to when the politics kicks in.

 

Thanks. I was worried it was a little too relaxed, and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate or not.

 

8 hours ago, ironmeg said:

I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Someone requested in my Rebel challenge for me to read WoT, and now this challenge you have. I guess I should really read it lol. 

 

It's a good read! Admittedly, it starts off with big books and gets bigger from there, but, eh, you know? No big deal.

 

*

 

Rand: 2/2

 

Mat: -/-

 

Perrin: 2/2

 

Moiraine: 2/2

 

Welp, did my training today. Had to condense some things down for time purposes in order to prevent the vicious cycle of doing full-bore at night and staying up.
 

Decline Archer Push Ups: 3x6

 

Dips: 3x4,4,3

 

Assisted Pistol Squats: 3x6

 

And then a break. I had to cut the training short in order to get to work on time. After all, I don't care about work, but that doesn't mean I can drop the pretense that I do care. I spent the day over in HBA. Again. They will not let me leave it, although they are impressed with the job I do when I'm over there. Maybe, that is why they do not let me leave.

 

Came back and found that I couldn't do my normal training for muscle up with the present set-up. So, opted to do chest to bar pull ups instead, 3x3.

 

I was planning to do some handstand and grip-specific work tomorrow but my day off got eaten up, just like the last one did. Client is paying me to help him with some home improvement stuff tomorrow, and after that I get to go help a friend move, so there goes training. It's not exactly as if I'll be idle, to be sure, but like I say, I train specifically so that stuff like this doesn't give me a training response, so we'll see how it all goes.

 

Anyway. Notes.

  • Man, just, archer push ups. They are the next step in my training, and a fine opportunity to practice adduction in the pecs. Should be fun.
  • Did my assisted pistols and they just. felt. right. I used a door jamb for assistance, used only one arm, and disadvantaged it as much as I could. I was able to rep out on each side and it was fun. The next step from here is to learn how to maintain tension in the bottom of the rep and keep that leg off the ground. I was just happy to be happy with it at this point. :D
  • So, uh, yeah, I can take my chest to the pull up bar pretty reliably. That's pretty cool. If I could just nail the transition and had the overall strength, I bet I could muscle up... but I think that's just me being brash and overconfident.

And, yeah, that's the ballgame right now.

 

Also, I think I could adjust the Mat goal so that it's a catchall for all the crazy shit I get up to - S&S and handstands and the like. Rucking and swimming would just be two new parts in that list. Given the character, it's appropriate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ah, I see. I tried to figure out, what rucking had to do with swimming. And apparently I didn't know the word locomotion. A little embrassing. I had Latin at school.

 

I think it was the right decision to get your sleep. I did try to get a run/walk in around 10 pm and only got five hours. Today I'm feeling it. I miss the times, when I could get away with little sleep regularly. Today I ask myself, how I could function at school.

  • Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

 I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Link to comment

Archer push-ups. Oh. My. God.

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

  • Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Link to comment

oooof the wheel of time.... I loved them but like Mistr I decided I would stop and wait until they were all out and then the idea of going back and reading the first... 6? 8? books over again because I just DON'T remember them? is kind of making me overwhelmed feeling. I got one from the library last summer and intended to beach read it, but that didn't happen. maybe this year. :)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

 

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

 

Link to comment
On 5/6/2016 at 1:34 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Ah, I see. I tried to figure out, what rucking had to do with swimming. And apparently I didn't know the word locomotion. A little embrassing. I had Latin at school.

 

I think it was the right decision to get your sleep. I did try to get a run/walk in around 10 pm and only got five hours. Today I'm feeling it. I miss the times, when I could get away with little sleep regularly. Today I ask myself, how I could function at school.

 

Nah, no big deal. I wasn't sure if that was where the problem was or if I was just unclear in spelling it out or what. :)

 

Ha, well, now that I've taken up training at night again, I guess we'll see how that pans out. :D

 

15 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Archer push-ups. Oh. My. God.

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

 

Yeah. They need to be ironed out. And then I can start to do things like rotate around my shoulder toward the pressing arm so that I activate more muscle in the chest. That'll be fun. :)

 

6 hours ago, karinajean said:

oooof the wheel of time.... I loved them but like Mistr I decided I would stop and wait until they were all out and then the idea of going back and reading the first... 6? 8? books over again because I just DON'T remember them? is kind of making me overwhelmed feeling. I got one from the library last summer and intended to beach read it, but that didn't happen. maybe this year. :)

 

It's fun stuff, although I don't know if I would recommend it as light reading. Though, then again, weight is relative, right? :D

 

3 hours ago, Machete said:

Great. I signed up for a GoRuck on September. I'll eventually need to log those miles in.

 

Eventually.

 

Neat! You will probably nail it.

 

eaf1c236cda249fbb256a736ce8dd94a.jpg

 

*

 

Whoops, Friday got in the way.

 

Rand: 4/4

 

Mat: -/-

 

Perrin: 4/4

 

Moiraine: 3/4

 

Friday was a long one. I got up and basically had to take off immediately to go help the dude out with his projects. Dude seems to be sitting somewhere on the borderline between being fun to hang with and really sketching me out with how much he tries to flirt with me and be affectionate. I dunno if that's just me being 30 years late to the whole 'hey, people wanna have sex with me' thing or what but it's weird. He's very touchy-feely. Judo makes me comfortable with that, and I shocked him some when I, at 180 pounds, pulled him at 270 pounds into that clasped-hand-man-hug-slap-the-back thing and just gave him a good tap. He wasn't expecting that, though to be fair I didn't expect it either. I didn't think I'd done that hard.

 

Anyway, he took up my whole afternoon, so I went to go help friends move in the evening. This is a distant group of friends, only one or two of whom I'm acquainted with. I figured all that was going to happen was I'd show up, lift heavy things, and not really talk to anyone. Sadly, they were all very friendly and I found myself wishing I was more extroverted than I am. Particularly when the pretty nerd girl who works out for cosplay showed up, and we proceeded to get along well. Unfortunately, by the time we had the chance to talk, my people-batteries were pretty fried, and I wasn't much for talking at that point, not to mention that all the in-jokes and threads of connection were live and I was as out of place as I'd figured I'd be. And just when I didn't want to be.

 

Oh well. I accidentally found her on Facebook when she commented on the cool pizza sammich I made at the after-move. Now I'm trying really really hard to not spaz out like I normally do when I get a crush. No sense in short-circuiting too hard.

 

Went and saw Captain America: Civil War after all that. It is pretty much the movie that BvS wishes it was and a great film to boot. I find myself looking for excuses to go back and watch it again.

 

Was surprised to find some friends there at the viewing, one of whom is the girl who had/has a crush on me (I never really know) and the other being a girl who also makes terrible life decisions and can't really seem to get herself right. They tif'd at each other to end the evening on a dramatic note.

 

So, yeah, people. They don't do what I want and they're always trying to push me in directions I don't want to go. I could pretty much leave 'em at this point. But that's normal right? Please tell me that's normal.

 

Anyway. Trained today. I wanted to get a lot of lifting in today with a finisher, but I had to break it up in order to make work, so just lifts and abs today.

 

Chin Ups: 3x7,7,6

 

Decline Pike Presses: 3x7,6,6

 

Butt Kick Jumps: 3x6

 

Break

 

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x7,6,6

 

Extra abs

 

Cooldown

 

Nothing terribly momentous to report out of all that except that I'm hungry and dinner smells amazing.

 

Missed out on my reading yesterday. Made it up some today. Fortunately, this is off-week, so this is all bonus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

All you can be is yourself, and that's gotta be good enough for whoever you meet. Because you ARE good enough, damnit. Part of being who you are is not letting people who don't have their own shit together taking you down with them. If that means you need to put some distance there, then so be it. 

  • Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, he took up my whole afternoon, so I went to go help friends move in the evening. This is a distant group of friends, only one or two of whom I'm acquainted with. I figured all that was going to happen was I'd show up, lift heavy things, and not really talk to anyone. Sadly, they were all very friendly and I found myself wishing I was more extroverted than I am. Particularly when the pretty nerd girl who works out for cosplay showed up, and we proceeded to get along well. Unfortunately, by the time we had the chance to talk, my people-batteries were pretty fried, and I wasn't much for talking at that point, not to mention that all the in-jokes and threads of connection were live and I was as out of place as I'd figured I'd be. And just when I didn't want to be.

 

Oh well. I accidentally found her on Facebook when she commented on the cool pizza sammich I made at the after-move. Now I'm trying really really hard to not spaz out like I normally do when I get a crush. No sense in short-circuiting too hard.

 

Went and saw Captain America: Civil War after all that. It is pretty much the movie that BvS wishes it was and a great film to boot. I find myself looking for excuses to go back and watch it again.

 

Was surprised to find some friends there at the viewing, one of whom is the girl who had/has a crush on me (I never really know) and the other being a girl who also makes terrible life decisions and can't really seem to get herself right. They tif'd at each other to end the evening on a dramatic note.

 

200_s.gif

 

11 hours ago, Kishi said:

So, yeah, people. They don't do what I want and they're always trying to push me in directions I don't want to go. I could pretty much leave 'em at this point. But that's normal right? Please tell me that's normal.

 

fSpoutw.png

 

 

So is the six bricks your weight requirement? What kind of ruck are you training with?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Urgan said:

All you can be is yourself, and that's gotta be good enough for whoever you meet. Because you ARE good enough, damnit. Part of being who you are is not letting people who don't have their own shit together taking you down with them. If that means you need to put some distance there, then so be it. 

 

I know! I know, and, I know. Fortunately, in this case, I think she has a boyfriend. Which makes the whole thing very simple. I just have to remain calm and bury my feelings, something that I have a lot of practice with.

 

And, yeah, distance. Might not be a bad idea. I get a feeling that the guy is trying to use me more for company than anything. I put him through a questionnaire before I agreed to train him, and the answers I got back indicated to me that I needed his doctor's permission before we went any further. Well, he's been dragging his feet on talking to his doctor, and he's had to change some of his medications for his gout, so he's waiting for that to normalize which will be like a month. Meanwhile, he finds reasons and excuses for us to hang together and my inner paranoiac is screaming at me that this is all entirely too convenient.

 

And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

 

Still, I don't have much experience at all and can't really seem to tell when these things are meant versus when they aren't. I tend to think of them as existing on a temperature scale that can flip at any time, and I need to keep things low. Maybe I'm just not reading this right.

 

8 hours ago, Machete said:

 

200_s.gif

 

 

fSpoutw.png

 

 

So is the six bricks your weight requirement? What kind of ruck are you training with?

 

giphy.gif

 

tumblr_mgj45sF6yW1r29kr3o1_500.gif

 

Yeah, I'mma be Kishi 6-Brick. Even if I got as low as I wanted to, I'd still have to carry 6. I'm not using a ruck that anyone else has, though. The guy works on life-saving devices for the military, and has access to prototypes and things that you don't find in, say, military surplus or anything like that. Let's see, how do I...

 

13102802_10103304338535999_5131160462227

 

Aha. That was annoying. But yeah, this is what I'm using. Dad says this thing will outlast me. I do not doubt this.

 

*

 

Spent Mother's Day with my mom, eating lots of good food and enjoying each other's company. Not much challenge-related stuff beyond swings and get ups.

 

As it should be, I guess.

 

Anyway. Things begin in earnest tomorrow.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kishi said:

 

I know! I know, and, I know. Fortunately, in this case, I think she has a boyfriend. Which makes the whole thing very simple. I just have to remain calm and bury my feelings, something that I have a lot of practice with.

 

Been+re+watching+the+whole+dbz+series+wi

 

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I'mma be Kishi 6-Brick. Even if I got as low as I wanted to, I'd still have to carry 6. I'm not using a ruck that anyone else has, though. The guy works on life-saving devices for the military, and has access to prototypes and things that you don't find in, say, military surplus or anything like that. Let's see, how do I...

 

13102802_10103304338535999_5131160462227

 

Hey, it's better than being short. Haha.

 

Looks solid. How does it ride? Personally I feel like I need an external frame, but I got a GoRuck GR1 and I'll see how that goes. I just filled up some zip lock bags with 5 pounds of gravel and wrapped them in duct tape.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Machete said:

 

Been+re+watching+the+whole+dbz+series+wi

 

 

Hey, it's better than being short. Haha.

 

Looks solid. How does it ride? Personally I feel like I need an external frame, but I got a GoRuck GR1 and I'll see how that goes. I just filled up some zip lock bags with 5 pounds of gravel and wrapped them in duct tape.

 

201412_2255_baecb_sm.jpg

 

If you say so. What about that mythical power to weight ratio you got going on, though?

 

At the moment, it rides pretty loose. There's a lot of space in it too, so there's a lot of room for bricks/load to shift. Gonna need to get that addressed before the theoretical thing.

 

*

 

Rand: 1/1

 

Mat: -/-

 

Perrin: 1/1

 

Moiraine: 27%

 

And there we have it, the first day.

 

So, I pass by a gym every day on my way to work. I got curious because I thought I saw squat racks in there, and it turns out that they do. They have squat racks... and barbells... and they're cheap... and they're open 24/7. And they're on the way to and from work. Which means in theory I could go work, get out at 2300, hit the gym, and be back home without any of the willpower troubles that I have when I try to train at night here at home.

 

And I could work my beloved squatz and deadz back into rotation again. Which I would want to do anyway - the best of both worlds, as I understand it, is to train the upper body with calisthenics, and the lower body with weights. So. Why not do that?

 

...

 

So what I'm saying is, I put down a lot of money that I had to spare on a gym membership. I am back and lifting shit again. And, I managed to duck a contract, so I can drop whenever I want. :D

 

Here's what this looked like:

 

Decline Archer Push Ups: 3x8,6,6

 

Dips: 3x4

 

Squats: 3x6,8,10x135,130,120

 

Chest to Bar Pull Ups: 3x4,3,3

 

ABZ

 

Finisher: Farmer's Walk in 30 second intervals over 6 minutes, 50# dumbbells

 

Cooldown

 

Notes:

  • It felt like coming home.
  • I'm kind of debating between adduction tricks and refining the push ups so that I can do them nice and pretty, and without a bend in the supporting arm. Nice and pretty is probably the way to go.
  • AN ACTUAL DIP STATION OHMYGOD
  • Yeah, the squats. So, the guy whom I... studied, is big on the use of RPT when it comes to weights. This is the first time I've really done it this way, as I've only ever really done lifts as a straight attack - sets and reps and weight. Making adjustments like this... it was refreshing, actually. I felt really good doing these. I probably could have gone heavier, but I wanted to practice and work within my limits like a Soviet. The numbers are based on an extrapolation of a 1RM that would allow me to lift 135 for 6 reps, because getting to lift with 45s is fun.
  • AN ACTUAL PULL UP BAR IMCRYINGHAPPYTEARS
  • I wasn't planning to do just Farmer's Walks, but I was inspired by the latest workout article on NF to focus on time and weight rather than doing things with the positions of the bells thereof. And, I have heavier to learn to carry, so, you know, there's that. Once I start to brush up against my limits, then we can start to branch out.

Good times. And glad for the off week to get a jump on the reading goal, since I lost my lunch hour to getting all that sorted. True story, a bunch of the folks at Walmart want to train with me (not as clients but alongside me. Should be interesting to see).

 

Anyway, off to browse and cook and eat and pass the hell out for the first day off I've had in about 10 days or so. Good times.

  • Like 6
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines