Jay for first bigger spending after getting the new job. And even more jay for ducking a contract. =)

• Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Gym time! Sweet!

By the way, can't thank you enough for the recommendation on Simple & Sinister all that time back. It took me a while to get there, but man it's a great thing. Plus, so scalable! I can see the path in front of me and there's so much to be conquered :D 

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

201412_2255_baecb_sm.jpg

If you say so. What about that mythical power to weight ratio you got going on, though?

At the moment, it rides pretty loose. There's a lot of space in it too, so there's a lot of room for bricks/load to shift. Gonna need to get that addressed before the theoretical thing.

Not much practical use for it other than showing-off sick bodyweight movements at the CrossFit box. A "bodyweight press" isn't as impressive when it's only 135. Haha. Though on the plus side, it does seem to minimize injuries, no matter how stupid I train. A flopped Kong Vault at 125 lbs. would cause a lot less damage than someone doing it at 200.

It looks like it's adjustable. Definitely use those side straps to tighten everything down, so the weights are as close to your body as possible.

• Like 1

A GYM I am so excited for you! You sound super happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 5/10/2016 at 4:39 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Jay for first bigger spending after getting the new job. And even more jay for ducking a contract. =)

Thank you! I know that this is a thing that's gotten me in trouble before, and I'm not going to let that happen again.

On 5/10/2016 at 9:33 AM, Kyellan said:

Gym time! Sweet!

By the way, can't thank you enough for the recommendation on Simple & Sinister all that time back. It took me a while to get there, but man it's a great thing. Plus, so scalable! I can see the path in front of me and there's so much to be conquered :D 

RIGHT. It's gonna be awesome. Although, it'd be nice if they had more plates, but I'm not at a point where I can complain about it.

Dude, it's pretty great. I'm glad you enjoy it so much. You're gonna get a lot out of it, more than you can even realize right now. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

On 5/10/2016 at 1:10 PM, Machete said:

Not much practical use for it other than showing-off sick bodyweight movements at the CrossFit box. A "bodyweight press" isn't as impressive when it's only 135. Haha. Though on the plus side, it does seem to minimize injuries, no matter how stupid I train. A flopped Kong Vault at 125 lbs. would cause a lot less damage than someone doing it at 200.

It looks like it's adjustable. Definitely use those side straps to tighten everything down, so the weights are as close to your body as possible.

Admittedly so. And hey, sick bodyweight movements are sick. That's the whole point, right? And frankly I'd love to flop a Kong Vault and not do so as heavy as I am now. :D

That's the plan. If I can get it hemmed a bit to cut down on extraneous space, all the better. Worst case, I'll bunch it all together with duct tape. IDGAF what anyone thinks I look like.

17 hours ago, karinajean said:

A GYM I am so excited for you! You sound super happy about it.

I am super happy about it. Make no mistake, I can still develop myself without all the equipment there, but it's so much easier to just walk in after work rather than come home and convince myself that the parents won't hear thegarage door opening beneath their bedroom and that me driving the suburban out so that I can have room isn't going to look weird. Nah. Give me iron and space. I'll pay a dollar a day for that.

Rand: 3/3

Mat: 1/1

Perrin: 2.5/3

Moiraine: 34%

Whoo boy, long couple of days.

Tuesday was good. I don't remember much about it. I spent some time with the kettlebell, and then like an idiot decided to go drinking with a friend of mine whom I haven't hung with in... ages. I made the mistake of going with a Scottish Ale that was about 8.2% alcohol. After doing my swings and get ups in 15:~. On an empty stomach. In the garage. With the southern heat in full force.

I'm kind of surprised I drove home as well as I did. And I didn't have much willpower for cooking healthy. I microwaved a chicken breast and then apparently ate a bunch of feelings I didn't know I had. Don't think I broke 3K though, which remember is about what I'd have to eat to maintain.

Today, I got a distress call from a pair of tiny, but fierce, but tiny women who were moving out of an apartment on the third story. They needed help moving heavy shit, and they couldn't find anyone else to do it. I had work, but this was the friend who let me stay on her couch some time ago (the one I killed my crush on that still makes my heart skip a little when I think of her), and there's no way in hell I'mma work a job I hate as opposed to reciprocating kindness. So I made up some car trouble and spent the day helping them.

It wasn't even hard. This Simple and Sinister stuff, even with me not being quite at Simple yet, has so much freaking carryover into my everyday life. I beasted it. I was running up and down three stories worth of stairs, carrying sections of couch, in hot and sunny weather. Sweat streaming down my face, and I don't feel nothing. Nothing. And I got to spend the day with a pair of beautiful women who are smarter than me and witty and don't mind making uncomfortable jokes. I am happy that I made this decision. This was a good day, and we capped it off by eating Peruvian food - I got chicken and rice and beans and ground corn and a couple small plantains and horchata, because you don't pass up horchata if you have a choice in the matter.

And then I went and lifted weights.

Pre-Fatigue: 3 minutes on the rower.

Chin Ups: 3x7

Elevated Pike Press: 3x7,7,6

DEADLIFTS: 3x6,8,10x155,145,135

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x7,7,6

ABZ

Finisher: 30 second Farmer's Walks, 55#. 5 walks in 4 minutes.

Cooldown

Notes:

• Chin Ups are getting kind of bad formwise. First set is fine, second is okay, but the third set I'm definitely kipping to get the last reps. I'm about to progression standard for the program, but I think I'm going to hold off and practice a bit instead. Nothing bad happens when I do that.
  • One thing I was worried about was switching Deadlifts in for jumping. I wasn't sure if I would need to do some jumps toward the front end of the session or what. After some cursory research, though, it seems that deadlifts can be prescribed to make jumps stronger. And if that's true, then there's no reason to add the jump on top of what is a fairly long session by most reckonings. Then again, it's time I have to kill, and a good vertical leap is associated with power. It could be a good pre-fatigue kind of thing to do. Have to think on this some more.
  • Extra Abz was done on a physioball. Yes, a physioball. And this one really kicked my... abs. The one move that got me was putting my feet up on the ball and then tracking it left and right in a skiing kind of motion. I got my feet on the ball, but at that point it was really all I could do just to hold that position. It was hard. I can't believe I'm writing that about a physioball, but I guess every tool can be a challenge if you use it right.

The next few days I'm probably going to take easier. I do have the job tomorrow, and Friday after that the gay dude who wants me to peg him my prospective client is going to pay me to help him with some chores which will mean lots of time on my feet and then there will be Karate. And then Saturday there will be more work and unloading the truck, and then Sunday is when I want to lift again. I'm going to try to hit a hard swing session in the morning because some friends of mine who are into the Iron Kingdoms wargame are wanting to pull me out to watch some apocalyptic battles that are meant to occur before the new ruleset comes out. It will be an afternoon spent at a gaming store with all manner of opportunities for junk food. I want to enter into that with a raised metabolism from the swings, and I want  to use any junk food I imbibe to fuel a strength session afterward.

Yes, I am having fun. But if I can use these things to mitigate the detraction from my goals, well, all the better.

High carb day? High carb day.

• Like 4

Wow, you are doing ALL the training. Good for you helping out your friends with their last minute move. Also great confirmation of your effective training program that you could do it with little effort.

The 24/7 gym close to work sounds like a match made in heaven for you. All the late night training you want with equipment you don't have at home. Maybe even <gasp> air conditioning. I expect to see even more stupendous progress now that you are working out in plush conditions. ;)

• Like 2

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 5/12/2016 at 11:57 AM, Mistr said:

Wow, you are doing ALL the training. Good for you helping out your friends with their last minute move. Also great confirmation of your effective training program that you could do it with little effort.

The 24/7 gym close to work sounds like a match made in heaven for you. All the late night training you want with equipment you don't have at home. Maybe even <gasp> air conditioning. I expect to see even more stupendous progress now that you are working out in plush conditions. ;)

A lot of it really was light. I would have helped again today if I could justify it, but I didn't want to push my luck with the job. But yeah, it was nice for everything to feel light and to move well with all of it. Hah, at dinner, we definitely had an Avenger's moment where we just ate in silence. especially since they had to leave early to go see Civil War.

You know, A/C might be the missing factor that just makes this... pleasant. Gotta be careful with it, though. I'm going to want to push really hard, and I don't quite know what my recovery is like these days.

3 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

Yay for a gym! 

I'm so jealous of all these people that you help move. ;)

:) Sounds like a great challenge. I hope things stay balanced for you.

Hahaha, I'm just glad I get to be useful. If I was down in AR, you bet I'd help you. :)

So far, it's been great. And things seem to be getting ready to change...

Rand: 5/5

Mat: 3/3

Perrin: 4/5

Moiraine: 41%

Well, well, and well. The past few days have been very interesting. Gosh, where do I even start. Okay.

Thursday, I got an unexpected phone call. From the State. They wanted me to come down and fill out paperwork to authorize a background check. Which is the next step in the hiring process. I spent most of Thursday playing phone tag on the job and avoiding looking like I was playing phone tag, but we managed to get it to happen. I talked to Sensei about it and, unless my brief phase as an axe-murderer in college is a problem, he thinks I've got it.

And I just...

I mean.

giphy.gif

I don't even comprehend it enough to feel anything about it. If what Sensei said is true, this changes everything. I'll be above the poverty line for the first time in 10 years. I'll be able to start paying down my debts. I'll be able to afford an apartment on my own, without roommates to gum everything up. I'll be able to afford travel. I'll be able to put money away.

Just. Wow.

wuhwhat_medium_medium.gif

Played with handstands last night, and did some ab work after that.

Today, had to get up early to get down to the office to sign the paperwork for the background check. Didn't get much sleep, so after that was done I went home and, well, went back to sleep. Burned a lot of daylight in the process, but I think it was the right decision. Helped me do well at Karate tonight where we worked on changing levels and I got introduced to what I think was Hook Kick. We sparred tonight, and it was a good night to be me. Finally landed some sasae to osoto combos, and finally made the connection that if a guy gets you in a headlock, it's okay to attack his legs if they're right there. Really. Managed to fake, managed to chase, change levels, get of the train tracks. You know, most of the stuff I'm supposed to be doing most of the time.

Oh, he got me too, just so it's clear. He caught me in transition with a front kick and even though it wasn't hard it completely floored me. Also walked into a lot of punches. Shouldn't have done that. And I have a tendency to chase a lot with jab. And I let myself get crossed up a lot. And I need to learn to loosen up my hips to fake better. And. And. And.

It was a good night. I'll take it.

Came back and had some nervous energy to work off. The folks have taken off to the mountains for some days, so I emptied out the garage and did some S&S. I figured out that part of the reason that my resting leg tends to jump is because my legs are too close together. If I go wide, I don't have that problem. I'm still a little weak, though. I probably need to go back down in weight and just do one get up at 70 as opposed to two per side like I'm doing now. Make that one good and smooth and only then add the next.

Worked on my hands afterward and was pleased to discover that class tonight didn't affect my ability to display maximal strength. That's very good. But then, it was pretty strike-heavy tonight, so I don't know if that'll be true all the time.

Anyway, big couple days. And my bro is apparently going to be here the night that I plan to strength train. He hates weights, but I might see if he wouldn't mind training anyway. I have the flexibility to lift iron or not at my discretion now, and it would be fun to get his take on things.

• Like 9

That sounds like a really good sign.  Fingers crossed for you!

Man, this is just the job change challenge all around, isn't it?  Quick, find 7FG and make him post a challenge to get in on this magic.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, Kishi said:

I don't even comprehend it enough to feel anything about it. If what Sensei said is true, this changes everything. I'll be above the poverty line for the first time in 10 years. I'll be able to start paying down my debts. I'll be able to afford an apartment on my own, without roommates to gum everything up. I'll be able to afford travel. I'll be able to put money away.

Just. Wow.

Sending all the positive thoughts I can your way!

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That sounds like a really good sign.  Fingers crossed for you!

Man, this is just the job change challenge all around, isn't it?  Quick, find 7FG and make him post a challenge to get in on this magic.

Thank you! Unless my brief experimentation with axe murder in college is a problem, I really think I got it.

15 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

Sending all the positive thoughts I can your way!

Thanks! Thoughts, prayers, vibes, and nepotism. I like to try to deal in all of 'em.

13 hours ago, Chen Wangting said:

Fingers crossed to. That would be awesome.

Yes. Seriously.

Rand: 6/6

Mat: 4/4

Perrin: 5/6

Moiraine: 42%

Damn, I am burning days on that lead that I built for reading this thing. It's okay. We'll get it. And I am enjoying it. It's actually a faster read in a lot of ways than I remember, but I'm just distracted the past few days.

Today was mostly dominated by me taking my measurements again. And them not having budged. Again. I briefly told myself I was stagnating, but quickly switched over to calling it equilibrium and realized that was the reality I was working with. I mean, okay, so I'm sitting at ~18.5% body fat at ~180 lbs. But at this weight, I'm walking 5-7 miles a day at work. 2-4 of those days, I'm lifting odd objects for some hours on end, and then spend another hour hauling them out to the floor. Some of the pallets get really heavy.

3 days per week, I strength train, intermittently cycling in and out various fatigue-inducing measures. I swing the kettlebell with one arm, and I am ironing out the kinks in my get-up form, less than 16 minutes twice to three times per week. One day per week, I spend 20 minutes or so practicing handstands. Another day per week, I work on my hands. Another day per week, I go into a garage and spend a couple of hours getting beat up for fun.

And all of that pretty much week in week out on top of playing hired muscle for my friends whenever I'm needed.

Can you believe that, prior to typing all of that out, I actually thought I might need to do more? Geez, my body is badass. Putting up with all this on only 1950 calories a day. I actually went and dug up the IIFYM calculator, and instead of giving me a number, it just asked Why do you hate yourself?

IIFYM also wants me to boost up to ~2400 calories. I've spent a great deal of time not getting lean and also not believing them. Maybe it's time I started.

Did work today. Went and did the Bodyweight WOW afterward.

Now to go eat all the things...

• Like 3
On 5/15/2016 at 1:33 AM, Kishi said:

Can you believe that, prior to typing all of that out, I actually thought I might need to do more? Geez, my body is badass. Putting up with all this on only 1950 calories a day. I actually went and dug up the IIFYM calculator, and instead of giving me a number, it just asked Why do you hate yourself?

Haha, I love you man!

Your body IS a badass.   And its pilot is pretty amazing and all around an awesome guy.   Seriously.     Keep taking care of that badass bod ok?

Also - again.  Despite absolute proof I had posted in here, your thread fails to show up on the 'content I've posted in' selection.   Thankfully, I looked into it before it got too many pages ahead.    Everything sounds so good with your updates.   I feel like I can often read the tone of posts, and you are just glowing in yours lately.  I LOVE THAT KISHI!    I am also super excited about the prospect of potentially having you back for a certain Tuesday night activity.    Jus' saying.

• Like 3

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

KISHI I KNOW IM ALWAYS BUSTING IN HERE ALL ALL-CAPS BUT FOR SERIOUS YOUR LIFE DESERVES ALL-CAPS NOTICE.

Yo, job vibes!!! And you are for certain so great sounding! Yay!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 5/15/2016 at 7:49 PM, Styx said:

I'm just here to say hi and wish you good luck!!!

Sent from my K00G using Tapatalk

I will take that! Thank you!

11 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Haha, I love you man!

Your body IS a badass.   And its pilot is pretty amazing and all around an awesome guy.   Seriously.     Keep taking care of that badass bod ok?

Also - again.  Despite absolute proof I had posted in here, your thread fails to show up on the 'content I've posted in' selection.   Thankfully, I looked into it before it got too many pages ahead.    Everything sounds so good with your updates.   I feel like I can often read the tone of posts, and you are just glowing in yours lately.  I LOVE THAT KISHI!    I am also super excited about the prospect of potentially having you back for a certain Tuesday night activity.    Jus' saying.

I love you too Starpuck!

Thank you. And I will continue to take care of this body. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Dude, I dunno what to tell you. I think it's probably something technical that I don't fully comprehend. But yeah, I been well lately. Things have been good. And you might just have me back sooner than you think.

6 hours ago, karinajean said:

KISHI I KNOW IM ALWAYS BUSTING IN HERE ALL ALL-CAPS BUT FOR SERIOUS YOUR LIFE DESERVES ALL-CAPS NOTICE.

Yo, job vibes!!! And you are for certain so great sounding! Yay!

WHAT OKAY

Yeah, job vibes. I will take them. I will take them all.

Rand: 7/7

Mat: 4/4

Perrin: 6/7

Moiraine: 48%

Wow, what a couple of days.

Sunday, I spent all day at a comic shop in Durham watching a huge battle in the Iron Kingdoms universe. Steampunk DnD. I can dig this. Also, the fact that new editions don't kill half your army list, and everything's cheaper. Only thing is, it didn't go as smoothly as people would have liked. The armies were so big that they required four commanders apiece, and nobody really emerged as the Leader. So there was a lot of slow-down

Personally, if I had it to organize, I'd have set up commanders across from one another on sections of the battlefield. Set up miniature win conditions on each section. Each section takes its turns in a randomly determined order set at the beginning of each round. Everyone is trying to get to the center of the battlefield and occupy it. If you are not in the center, your goal is to destroy your enemies in your section and then try to flank enemies in the section next to yours. (That's the incentive for victory on the margins - easier play going forward and the chance to play badass cavalry). It would be chaos and horror and beauty, I think.

And the only way I get to take part is if I learn to play.

Fortunately, the Pressganger for Privateer Press is a regular at this place, and he's all about play. I think I am going to go and see about playing with him to learn about armies and such.

I didn't get up in time to run my swings, but I did manage to hit up some weights afterward.

Pre-Fatigue: Rowing Machine, 3 minutes

Decline Archer Push Ups: 3x8,8,6

Dips: 3x5,4,4

Squatz: 3x6,8,10x140,135,125

Explosive Pull Ups: 3x2

Abs

Finisher: Farmer's Walks, 30 seconds, 55#, for 5 minutes: 6 walks

And then, today, I lost my job.

Basically, remember when I played hookey to go help a friend move? I called it in to the manager on duty, but apparently I was supposed to make a call to corporate as well, which I failed to do. I was listed as a no-call-no-show, which is a terminable offense for new employees like me. Unfortunately, the decision was not up to my managers, who railed against it but were ultimately unable to do anything about it.

And how am I doing with all that?

Honestly... I feel pretty great. Like I said, I hated the job, and I honestly think at this point that the other job is going to come through. I just don't see why it wouldn't, and I could use some time off between them to catch my breath and get some things in order.

Anyway, I went and decided to play with the treadmill at the gym. Wanted to play around with my Lactic Threshold, because I came across some ideas about Interval Training that I want to try. If it works out, the State job has an exercise room that I could visit over the lunch break as opposed to eating lunch, and I could use the time there.

Rand: 1/1

Mat: 1/1

Perrin: 1/1

Moiraine: 50%

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, I went and decided to play with the treadmill at the gym. Wanted to play around with my Lactic Threshold, because I came across some ideas about Interval Training that I want to try. If it works out, the State job has an exercise room that I could visit over the lunch break as opposed to eating lunch, and I could use the time there.

Treadmills... Have you ever tried Martin Rooney's Hurricanes? I don't really know how to program them, as I'm usually working on other things, but they're fun to knock out every now and then.

• Like 1

Good grief.  You get to deal with all of the employment drama.  Glad you're in a good place over the whole thing.  Hopefully you'll hear back from the other one soon. 

Getting gym access again is clearly working well for you.  That should cut down on the number of times per week you need to make space in the garage?  The workout posted above is beautifully balanced.

Also, excellent notes on your sparring progress. 

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

9 hours ago, Machete said:

Treadmills... Have you ever tried Martin Rooney's Hurricanes? I don't really know how to program them, as I'm usually working on other things, but they're fun to knock out every now and then.

Oh, dude. I've heard of those. Nate Green used them when he was running his size experiment. I'd completely forgot that that was an option. But what I'm doing at this point is playing around with some stuff from Rusty Moore, and at present I'm testing the various machines to figure out what settings I need to hit lactic threshold. The program proper begins next week.

3 hours ago, courtneyc said:

I guess sorry and not sorry about the job? Big corporations do like to make you jump through all the appropriate hoops. It sounds like you're making the best of it though. Enjoy yourself a little R&R!

I think I will. :) And like I said, I have the Uber to fall back on. The car's gassed up, re-oiled and everything. I just gotta clean her out a bit and we should be good. Do that like it's my job and... we wait.

2 hours ago, Teirin said:

Good grief.  You get to deal with all of the employment drama.  Glad you're in a good place over the whole thing.  Hopefully you'll hear back from the other one soon. 

Getting gym access again is clearly working well for you.  That should cut down on the number of times per week you need to make space in the garage?  The workout posted above is beautifully balanced.

Also, excellent notes on your sparring progress. 

Meh. No drama. They let me go. That's that. I have other work to do to bring money in, and if DDS doesn't take me, I know that I enjoy warehouse style work and can add that to my list of potential employment. I'm not worried.

Yes, it should. And as long as I'm out and traveling around, it's actually super-convenient to have somewhere to go where I can just change out and get to work as opposed to coming back, putting everything away, moving vehicles, and so on. And I'm glad that the training all seems to fit together.

Yeah, that session was fun. And I got my throws no-gi. :D

Rand: 2/2

Mat: 2/2

Perrin: 2/2

Moiraine: 50%

Whee. Day off, and a productive one. I like those. They are kind of the best.

Got my car gassed up and the oil changed. And, bought the bricks I need for my ruck. Replenished some supplies, and generally just took life easy today. Tomorrow we will work, but today, we take it all in stride.

Went and trained tonight. We are on a down cycle of the fatigue training, so pre or post fatigue work. Just me against iron and gravity.

Warmed Up

Chin Ups: 3x7

Elevated Pike Presses: 3x7

Deadlifts: 3x6,8,10x160,150,140

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x7

Cooldown

25 minutes on the Elliptical

Abz

Notes:

• So, I've noticed that the work on these 'B' days doesn't really allow me much in the way of inducing fatigue. Because I'm doing movements that tend to stress my joints, I treat them more as active recovery, as opposed to shadowboxing and skipping rope to pass the time. Which is necessary and I don't regret it. Just... changes the temperament of this day.
  • Sticking to 3x7 on chin ups was good. I didn't get even close to kipping until the last couple reps in the final set, and even then, it was barely there, like a little hiccup in the pattern of movement. That's, like, barely within 10% missed reps, basically, which I think is good enough to resume adding reps to. If I miss in excess of 10%, then I know to hold.
  • Figured out that since jumping for power is an explosive hinge, I can use it to warm up for Deadlifts. That's pretty cool, and a lot faster than trying to scramble and hit a few reps with the bar. It didn't seem to have a negative effect on training this time. Maybe it works?
  • The cooldown is getting interesting. I transitioned from straight leg holds to N-Sits, and I've decided to dedicate myself to making the prettiest N-Sits I can. We'll see how this all works. The thing is, this is supposed to be an active stretch for the hamstrings and lower back, and I don't think I'm able to get that at this point. May need to work some Downward Dog into this piece, so I can stretch while working on developing strength to hold another stretch.
  • The S&S training is making my LT training fun. My heartrate just does not budge unless I jack the settings high on the machines. And forget it on a rower. And once I'm off the machine? About a minute or so of breathing, and I'm just sweaty and ready to go again.

All in all, it was a quiet day today. Given how little sleep I got last night, that's probably for the best.

In other news, Lindsey Stirling is going to be in Durham next month. I want to go - it was a great show last time, and I'd love to see it again. This time, though, I want to go with people, and I know if I ask that the people who will want to go will not be the people I want to go with.

Sigh. Why are there not more nerds nearby? That would make things so nice and simple.

Course, on the other hand, if I'm job-hunting by the time she rolls around, I won't have the money to spare anyway, which simplifies things in its own way. ^_^;

• Like 1
On 5/9/2016 at 0:49 AM, Kishi said:

Yeah, I'mma be Kishi 6-Brick. Even if I got as low as I wanted to, I'd still have to carry 6. I'm not using a ruck that anyone else has, though. The guy works on life-saving devices for the military, and has access to prototypes and things that you don't find in, say, military surplus or anything like that. Let's see, how do I...

13102802_10103304338535999_5131160462227

Aha. That was annoying. But yeah, this is what I'm using. Dad says this thing will outlast me. I do not doubt this.

So this means you're coming to my 30th birthday ruck, right?  This is what I'm seeing.

Also hi.  Remember when I said I'd be following better this time.  Still failing at that.  Sorry.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

You sound so centered and positive! The old Kishi would be freaking out about losing a job. And to top it off, you admitted in public that you train like a maniac and are badass. Which we've all known for a long time :D

Clearly all your effort is paying off. You are calm, capable and taking charge of your destiny.

What is your weight and body fat goal? I would think that 180 would be a good weight for a muscular guy of your height.

• Like 4

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

5 minutes ago, Mistr said:

What is your weight and body fat goal? I would think that 180 would be a good weight for a muscular guy of your height.

Agreed, 180 is a decent weight for a guy, maybe even a smidge on the light side if we're talking crazy, lol. Composition is everything, though, I'm willing to bet. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Man things be all over the place for you!  And yet you're all.

chaos.gif

Bravo!!    I am still sending all the TP&V your way.   I really want this to come through for you.

In the mean time, I love how even keeled you are being.  Good stuff there.

Also, I'd totes go to see Lindsey Stirling with you.

• Like 2

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 5/18/2016 at 9:50 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

So this means you're coming to my 30th birthday ruck, right?  This is what I'm seeing.

Also hi.  Remember when I said I'd be following better this time.  Still failing at that.  Sorry.

I am essentially planning and comporting myself as if I'm going to get there. I figure one way or the other, I'm going to make this happen, but even if everything falls apart I'm still going to train as if I was going to be there. I just figure that's useful for me.

Also, dude, relax. You got enough on your plate right now. It's nice to see you when you can make it, but you gotta do you right now.

On 5/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Mistr said:

You sound so centered and positive! The old Kishi would be freaking out about losing a job. And to top it off, you admitted in public that you train like a maniac and are badass. Which we've all known for a long time :D

Clearly all your effort is paying off. You are calm, capable and taking charge of your destiny.

I think in the old days a lot of my theology was focused on loving my job and trying to make a career wherever I went. I didn't understand that it was possible to love a temporary job, and whenever I left I was tore up about it, like I'd failed to be missional toward them.

Although my theology in the matter remains unchanged, I'm far more willing to regard this as a matter of love-and-leave. :P

You know, it's funny you mention that. Between me attempting to become iron and learning a mind that lets things go, I kind of feel like a mechanical Monk.

zenyatta-gameplay.jpg

Huh, maybe I should do something that's never been done and cross fandoms over or something.

If it's all right, I'm going to address this with @Urgan, since she asked the same question.

On 5/18/2016 at 1:22 PM, Urgan said:

Agreed, 180 is a decent weight for a guy, maybe even a smidge on the light side if we're talking crazy, lol. Composition is everything, though, I'm willing to bet. 

Yeah, and that's exactly it for me.

I mean, here, let me show you. And I'll hide it in the spoilers in case it bothers anyone.

Spoiler

13260031_10103324113651509_4667404804079

It's not a bad look, really. All that spot training I've been doing on the abs really helps to smooth that area out, and I'm not even flexing beyond the resting tone necessary to maintain good posture. But, at the same time... it's still excess weight. I don't like carrying it, and I don't like the composition of it.

It implies a certain weakness in my training, and I don't like that.

I know and believe that diet is the key to getting rid of the extra, and I have the capacities I've been looking to my training for. But there are some gaps that I want to address - specifically moving fast and explosively, and moving under load, and learning to swim. I seek these capacities now because I see them as gaps in my ongoing quest to become iron and to strip away weaknesses. If they help my composition, all the better, but at the present time I'm not too terribly worried one way or another.

/rant

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Man things be all over the place for you!  And yet you're all.

chaos.gif

Bravo!!    I am still sending all the TP&V your way.   I really want this to come through for you.

In the mean time, I love how even keeled you are being.  Good stuff there.

Also, I'd totes go to see Lindsey Stirling with you.

It's a learned thing, really. :) I just be like

Zenyatta_Overwatch_001.jpg

And thank you for the TP&V! I just heard from my source that there's been a delay in the next training class on account of there being a lot of new trainees. I am hopefully one of them, but it will account for it if I don't hear from them tomorrow like I was expecting.

And I would go with you too.

Rand: 2/3

Mat: 3/3

Perrin: 3/3

Moiraine: 51%

Well, didn't hit everything I wrote down yesterday. No biggie.

Did swings and get ups yesterday. And it seems that the LT training is feeding back into my S&S as well. Generally I have an uptick in my heartrate around the two-minute mark and even though I can pass the talking test, I'm talking around it. Yesterday, I didn't get that feeling until about 3:30 or so. Which, I know. A delay of 90 seconds doesn't sound like much, but when your total time is 300 seconds, it's significant. Of course, to be fair, it was a cooler day yesterday, and that changes things. It'll be something to watch when the weather warms back up again, but for the moment it's pretty fascinating.

Wanted to do hand work, but the parents came home in the middle of it and so I helped them with unpacking. So much for that.

Went out to do handstands at the gym, because I'm still gathering data on what settings on what machines get me to hit LT. Decided I wanted to play with the stairmaster, and... well, it killed me. Not because of my heart, but because of my legs - the vertical element totally killed me on it. I'm kind of torn - this training is ultimately for my heart and lungs, and if I can't perform program requirements on the machine, then I need to leave it. But at the same time, it kind of rankles me to let a machine beat me. That's just ego talking, though, and I imagine that between treadmill, elliptical, and whatever other devices I torture myself with, I'll probably develop the muscular endurance I need to hit the stairmaster at a later time.

Sweet, I get a boss battle. Awesome.

Went to work last night and had a lot of different fares. And also yelled off someone who was going to panhandle me. That wasn't a terribly Christian thing to do, although depending on what you think of people like me, you might say it was a very Christian thing to do. I dunno, just had a bout of compassion fatigue or something. I got all scared for the money I didn't have and angry that somebody thought I looked enough like a doormat that they could just take whatever they wanted by asking.

There is a better way - making a carepack and having it with me for times that people come looking for help. And then I'm beyond receptive to helping people because, hey, it's invested money and ready to go. I think that will be a project I undertake.

Anyway, off to gym and then off to see more about Warmachine...