Comrade Kyellan: Kettlebell Trains YOU!

Kyellan

14 hours ago, Kishi said:

Just stay focused on getting better. Don't look too far down the road in this state - it's going to pass, and if you make decisions based on it now, you might regret them later.

QFT

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Just stay focused on getting better. Don't look too far down the road in this state - it's going to pass, and if you make decisions based on it now, you might regret them later.

1 hour ago, Oramac said:

QFT

This is excellent advice, thanks.

~84 Hours Since We Started Fighting Back

Well, I'm mostly better. My head no longer feels like it's been inflated like a balloon, but the fluid in my ears still has not given way. My hearing has improved very slightly--I'm no longer hearing the strange sparkles in 'white' noises (running water, fan, etc) but it's still pretty dulled. Talking to soft-spoken people is actually pretty difficult right now, because I can't understand them!

Hard to believe I'll only have been on the antibiotic for four days as of this afternoon. I guess I've just got to be patient with it... this infection must have been pretty nasty indeed. I am certainly glad that the worst of it is past, but I'd just like my life back, please.

In two days we'll be three weeks away from the Mudder. I'm not thrilled with this loss of 1.5-2 weeks of training, but I'm just gonna have to do the best I can with the time I've got.

Hah. That's sort of a description of life in general, isn't it? 

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

3 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Hah. That's sort of a description of life in general, isn't it? 

That it is.  I'm glad the infection is getting better.  And don't worry about the mudder.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Remember, it's not a race.  It's a challenge.  And the cool thing about challenges is that even if you fail, you can learn and try again.  (sometimes immediately!)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yeah, well, remember, your goal is to fight being frail. You don't have money or medals on the line. You just have to go from point A to point B. There's no time limit.

I'd honestly say to push it with the kettlebell at this point. no, really. If your head will let you train at this point, swings and get ups are going to give you the most benefit the most easily.

• Like 2

Have you tried a tin foil hat. They are trying to read your thoughts.

------

but seriously. Get better soon, man. I'm missing our strange conversations.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

108 Hours Since We Started Fighting Back

Gah, this still sucks. The fluid pressure in my ears is definitely changing, but it just won't give up and drain already. It's driving me insane, because other than still missing my higher voice registers, I'm otherwise pretty much back to normal. The remaining problem is all inner-ear: on top of the reduced hearing issues, bending and sudden movement both cause aural pain and major vertigo, which is the reason I haven't yet either re-started my kettlebell training nor gone back to Kung Fu at all this week. I randomly tried a hip hinge and almost ended up on the floor when the world spun--not ideal.

I may, however, drag myself to class tonight and just make it clear to Sifu that I'm still not okay, and that I'm only there in a reduced capacity until this ear problem resolves itself. I don't want to get myself totally out of the habit of going, but I also don't want to slow down the rest of the class. I suppose I can just sit out if it comes down to it.

Sigh. I'm hoping that this ear pressure will finally break in the next day or two and my balance issues will resolve. Until then, I'm stuck just resting, taking my meds, and wishing.

Challenges

I hope it gets better for you too!  I think it's a good call to go in to Kung Fu, if for no other reason to show that you're still going to Kung Fu.  Like you said, make sure Sifu knows you're not just skipping out on him. 

Have you had the ear thing specifically checked out?  Is it a part of the original infection or a side effect?  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

May not be a huge help for inner ear stuff, but maybe some hot showers and hot compresses to try to get that fluid to drain?  Kind of annoying now that the weather's turned, but there isn't much else to be done except throw heat at it.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

40 minutes ago, Oramac said:

I hope it gets better for you too!  I think it's a good call to go in to Kung Fu, if for no other reason to show that you're still going to Kung Fu.  Like you said, make sure Sifu knows you're not just skipping out on him. 

Have you had the ear thing specifically checked out?  Is it a part of the original infection or a side effect?  

Official diagnosis was bilateral ear infection and sinus infection. I told the doctor about the hearing/pressure issues, and he said it would resolve once the infection was gone. It's just a matter of time right now, unfortunately.

Sadly, I'm actually very familiar with this symptom set. I used to have it all the time when I was young. Ear infections/fluid pressure and pain, etc is almost nostalgic with how often it happened when I was a kid. Intellectually I know it's just a matter of time, but it's still driving me crazy. =)

26 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

May not be a huge help for inner ear stuff, but maybe some hot showers and hot compresses to try to get that fluid to drain?  Kind of annoying now that the weather's turned, but there isn't much else to be done except throw heat at it.

Yup. Hot showers, hot water bottle, etc. It has been helping, just not enough to actually get the pressure to break yet. I actually fell asleep last night in a chair with my hot water bottle cradled against my neck. Ow :/

• Like 1

Challenges

3 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Intellectually I know it's just a matter of time, but it's still driving me crazy. =)

Ugh.  That sucks man.  Sorry to hear that.  But look at the bright side: it's happening now and not a month from now.  *knockonwood*

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

It's been days since I posted anything, I know. I spent the weekend trying to recover. I did end up going to class on Friday (they did sparring, I worked my forms) and I went to lightsaber dueling on Saturday and stayed in 'samurai' fighting mode for all of my rounds--ie, two hands on the saber and as little turning and fancy footwork as possible. 

They were right about the speed I needed to get moving again without causing issues. I also went to class on Monday, where we worked on 'push hands' drills. It's an interesting exercise involving mostly balance and yin/yang energy, trying to make your opponent shift their feet without moving your own. It's also primarily isometric exercise in practice, because it involves no hard or sharp movement, just all slow tensing and relaxing as you try to drag or push your opponent off the line.

Here it is Wednesday and I still don't feel 100%. I might maybe be back up to 70%. The worst of the vertigo is fading, and although my right ear is still somewhat blocked, I think it is slowly getting better. My antibiotics ran out this morning, so that's over. The ringing has lessened a little as well. I've basically been on a minimum diet, because I really haven't been all that hungry, except for the occasional spike in appetite. I'm still constantly exhausted, no matter how much or how little sleep I get, which is very frustrating.

I'm still hovering right around 200 lbs--my last weigh-in was 200.8, so I'm right about where I want to be for now. My long-term goal is to work toward 190, but I may have to maintain here for a bit until my body catches up with me. I'm slowly getting back toward light-moderate activity as the vertigo is fading, but I still haven't resumed my kettlebell workouts for fear of the vertigo causing me to lose my grip on the bell and send it flying in my living room--that would be bad.

I'm going to shift tack a bit and fight my remaining symptoms as though they are allergy-induced and not remaining infection, because I'm pretty sure 10 days of Augmentin means that the infection bacteria are deader than dead. I haven't had major allergy issues in a few years, but the last week or so has reminded me so much of my childhood and teenage years (when I had horrible environmental allergies) that I think I'm gonna have to fight the rest of this that way, instead.

I would really like to feel like myself again now, please. Thanks. :/

• Like 2

Challenges

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

My family has been also experiencing allergy issues recently (we are in PA), so I would definitely put some allergy protocols into place. That being said, if the allergy meds don't work, go back to the doctor. You should be feeling better, but depending on exactly what type of bug you have, and your tolerance to penicillin's, the augmentin might not have killed everything.  Also make sure you are drinking plenty of liquids (water!) which should help with thinning out all the gunk that keeps you stuffed up and pressurized.

Hope the allergy protocols work and you get back to 100%!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

we worked on 'push hands' drills. It's an interesting exercise involving mostly balance and yin/yang energy, trying to make your opponent shift their feet without moving your own. It's also primarily isometric exercise in practice, because it involves no hard or sharp movement, just all slow tensing and relaxing as you try to drag or push your opponent off the line.

I am super interested in these drills, though I'm also probably waaay too competitive to actually do them right.  (one of my faults. :( )

Sorry to hear about the sickness. I am totally not down with it.  (badum tiss)  Take care of yourself man.  I'm sure it'll break soon.  

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1 hour ago, Oramac said:

I am super interested in these drills, though I'm also probably waaay too competitive to actually do them right.  (one of my faults. :( )

It's interesting when I've done it with those who are really competitive, tends to make a person stiff, and easier to move. If you get a chance give it a try, it's helped me a lot with finding the balance of being relaxed and having enough energy to deflect. 

2 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I'm going to shift tack a bit and fight my remaining symptoms as though they are allergy-induced and not remaining infection, because I'm pretty sure 10 days of Augmentin means that the infection bacteria are deader than dead. I haven't had major allergy issues in a few years, but the last week or so has reminded me so much of my childhood and teenage years (when I had horrible environmental allergies) that I think I'm gonna have to fight the rest of this that way, instead.

I used to get sinus infections all the time because of allergies. On my 2nd year without one so far this spring. Something to look into/talk to your doctor is something like Nasacort. Almost all of my allergies were in the sinus area, and using an allergy med that targeted that helped a lot. 

Also would highly recommend getting some saline spray. If you can, use every 20-30 mins. 

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I'm almost there, gang. The gunk fluid in my inner ear is starting to move--I know, because I can hear it when I move my head around. It's gross and sticky, but the ringing is significantly reduced and I can almost hear normally again!!

On 6/1/2016 at 8:36 AM, Oramac said:

They're fun drills--if we have time, I'll show you how it works during Mudder Weekend :D 

23 hours ago, Toshimi said:

It's interesting when I've done it with those who are really competitive, tends to make a person stiff, and easier to move. If you get a chance give it a try, it's helped me a lot with finding the balance of being relaxed and having enough energy to deflect. 

I have experienced the same. I'm still very new to them, but I do okay against most of my classmates. Not my Kung Fu Buddy though--trying to knock him off balance is like trying to uproot a 100-year-old tree. It's really annoying how solid he is :D 

On 6/1/2016 at 8:31 AM, Sylvaa said:

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

My family has been also experiencing allergy issues recently (we are in PA), so I would definitely put some allergy protocols into place. That being said, if the allergy meds don't work, go back to the doctor. You should be feeling better, but depending on exactly what type of bug you have, and your tolerance to penicillin's, the augmentin might not have killed everything.  Also make sure you are drinking plenty of liquids (water!) which should help with thinning out all the gunk that keeps you stuffed up and pressurized.

Hope the allergy protocols work and you get back to 100%!

23 hours ago, Toshimi said:

I used to get sinus infections all the time because of allergies. On my 2nd year without one so far this spring. Something to look into/talk to your doctor is something like Nasacort. Almost all of my allergies were in the sinus area, and using an allergy med that targeted that helped a lot. 

I now have the allergy protocols fully in place. I've been using Flonase for about a week now, and I'm actually impressed with how well it works. I was skeptical, but it's genuinely useful, so I'll probably continue that through the worst of allergy season, at least. I've also got other things added as well, so that's helpful too.

----------------------------------------

I haven't yet restarted my workouts in earnest, because I'm going to have to ramp back up. I've now been down for two full weeks, which means I've got a good chance to injure myself here if I'm not careful. I wanted to give myself a couple of days of feeling mostly normal before I go trying to mess it all up again by accidentally overworking.

However, I did learn at class last night that I can still do 50 pushups (yay!), and this morning out of curiosity I loaded up 85 pounds on the barbell and did a single set of 10 bench press to see if my elbow had recovered. No pain detected, which means I'm back to good on that too! SWEET!

I'm going to the Wu Dao tournament on Sunday, so I'll be down in Cambridge for the day. I'm looking forward to it. I won't be doing an emtpy-hand form, because as I mentioned before I don't want to go up against the younger guy in my class doing the same form with my extra year of experience. So I'll do push hands, sparring, and my broadsword form. Nice and easy. Hopefully it'll be more than just me and my classmate in beginner sparring this year... last year was kind of disappointing on that front.

Hopefully by the fall I'll have enough of Gung Gee to do a section of that in the next tournament. That's my plan, anyway.

I'm almost there. I'm not sure what my endurance is going to be like when the Mudder goes around, but hopefully I won't slow my teammates down too much =)

• Like 1

Challenges

4 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

They're fun drills--if we have time, I'll show you how it works during Mudder Weekend :D 

I'm almost there. I'm not sure what my endurance is going to be like when the Mudder goes around, but hopefully I won't slow my teammates down too much =)

Sounds good to me!  I'm always willing to learn cool new stuff of the martial sort.  

Don't worry too much about it.  It's not about going fast.  It's about overcoming adversity as a team.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Well, I'm honestly still not even 75% of my normal self, but I'm inching closer day by day. The cranial/sinus pressure keeps slowly deflating, but I definitely think a lot of my remaining problems are allergy-related. I've been mostly free of environmental allergy symptoms for several years, but there is something REALLY unpleasant going on this year. Probably due to the overall-warm winter and a lack of a real deep-freeze and snow. 

In much better news--I kind of had a reverse-Simpsons moment this morning. The feeling was pretty much the same...

507773.gif?b64lines=

(by the way, Frinkiac is AWESOME)

I'd said a couple of days ago that I expected I would have to maintain at 200 lbs for a while to get my body used to it, but I guess not? I stepped on the scale out of raw curiosity this morning, and I've dropped to 196.6(!!) as of this morning. 

Heh, um... okay then, I guess? Apparently that being sick and consuming minimal calories thing was more minimal than I'd thought. Wow. That's kind of weird, and I was not expecting it.

So, there you have it. Best weight-loss method? Get really sick and lose your appetite for two weeks. New trend? I think so!

Introducing: the AEGRITUDO Diet! All you have to do is spray this thing in your nose (warning: may contain pathogens) twice a day until you feel it starting to work! You'll know it's working because you'll be tired, your throat will be sore and you'll have a terrible headache, but don't worry, that's just the TOXINS doing their work! All these fad diets have been telling you to cleanse your body of toxins, but that's because they don't know the SECRET of the AWESOME POWER of real toxins! And you know what else? Doctors HATE this one weird trick for fast and easy weight loss!

Ahem... sorry, I got a bit carried away there for a second. I'm back now.

• Like 6

Challenges

5 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

I've dropped to 196.6(!!) as of this morning. 

Introducing: the AEGRITUDO Diet! All you have to do is spray this thing in your nose (warning: may contain pathogens) twice a day until you feel it starting to work! You'll know it's working because you'll be tired, your throat will be sore and you'll have a terrible headache, but don't worry, that's just the TOXINS doing their work! All these fad diets have been telling you to cleanse your body of toxins, but that's because they don't know the SECRET of the AWESOME POWER of real toxins! And you know what else? Doctors HATE this one weird trick for fast and easy weight loss!

AWESOME!!  

I lol'd. :P 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

On 6/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, Kyellan said:

Oh my God this is both funny and true. I approve.

Also, hey, man, you beat RP to being sub-200!

YAY-GIF.gif?gs=a

M1nEp7h.gif

tumblr_n4yxgfej4Z1qf9mevo1_500.gif

tumblr_m41e2o5nhT1rw7k3jo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Well, life is... not so good, to be honest.

I did manage to build two beautiful new gates for my fence on Saturday, so that's a win. One of them is mounted, but we ran out of time when working on hanging the second one. Will try to get that done this week. I felt pretty good about myself on Saturday, because those things have got to be 150 pounds each, and I carried them across my front yard once they were built. 

Yesterday's tournament was a bit disappointing, on a personal level. Definitely a softer turnout than last year. I took a first-place medal for hand forms and a second-place in beginner sparring. My brain froze during my sword form, and despite my best efforts, I couldn't save it to place. I probably would have if I'd managed to actually do the whole thing, but instead I skipped about half of it, entirely on accident. Awesome.

During the sparring, the only beginner who wasn't from my school socked me right in the nose within the first five seconds of the match. It sent me reeling, honestly, and seriously impacted the rest of the rounds. (I did both of mine back-to-back.) It was an accident--he just had zero control, I'd wager he'd been training for less than three months. Nobody's fault, but it did suck to get punched in the face, even with a padded glove.

Fortunately, I really like the atmosphere at that school and the tournament in general. It's a nice place. I'll do better next time.

I'm still sick, and I was heading downhill fast during the tournament yesterday. I'd thought that this was finally over, but as of Tuesday it'll be a month that I've been sick. I'm going to see my doctor this morning, hopefully they can pull me out of this tailspin somehow, because as it is I'm going to be right back to the worst of it in a few days if something isn't done.

May's challenge basically turned out to be a giant pile of nothing. I was supposed to be in tip-top shape by now, and instead I'm barely dragging myself along. It's a bit frustrating, to say the least.

All that can be done is to get back to the doctor, and try to make June good enough to make up for May's string of disappointments. 

• Like 2

Challenges

Dealing with illness and recovery is a frustrating challenge, but worth doing because it's frustrating.  You need to train yourself to handle those situations, you know?  A lot of people either let everything go, or push themselves too hard.  There's some value in taking it on as a learning experience.

Good job on the gates, yo.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

57 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Dealing with illness and recovery is a frustrating challenge, but worth doing because it's frustrating.  You need to train yourself to handle those situations, you know?  A lot of people either let everything go, or push themselves too hard.  There's some value in taking it on as a learning experience.

Agreed.  It's not pleasant, but it is necessary.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™