After planning comes... Action!

swimming-motivation.jpg

Trigger warning: I post pictures of food and tempting stuff. :D @Naxius:D

So yeah, I am going to start swimming this month and hopefully keep at it all summer.

Since my knee is not showing any sign of getting better, I had to find and alternative to running and high impact sport, so obviously, like every recovering athlete in the making, I went for swimming.

In addition, I have decided to start trying something new. NerdFitness might be a fitness-based website, but I don't think I am the only one that has found the community amazingly supporting in all areas for life. It is truly amazing to get to see the "behind-the-scenes" of people's progress, when normally you only get to hear the success stories. It really makes you realise that in the end, everyone is just doing their best to try and balance busy lives while staying healthy.

Anyhow, I don't just want to level-up my fitness level, but level up all areas of my life - Emotional, Physical, Spiritual and Mental.

Now as all Nerds know, it is not a good idea to try and do too many things at once, so every month I will focus mostly on one aspect, with one week . The last challenge was mostly a mental one - I focused mostly on self-discipline, study and overall setting the ground for what is coming now, which is the physical practice. Aside from the holistic approach, there is also a bit of non-formal learning theory applied here that I might get into a further post.

So, what does this challenge concretely look like? Well - here it goes:

Health - Physical

1) Get your cardio

• Go swimming 2x a week

The number is dictated by my budget, unfortunately, as I have quite a few things to pay for this month. I am going back home for the holidays though so I will be able to go more often then. :)

2) Nourish your body

I have started to suspect that one of the reasons my knee is not healing is that the time of injury (whatever it may be) also coincides with the time I decided to try and go on a diet because I had started spotting my abs. This period was, however, also combined with what I suspect is a real underestimation of my current physical activity, which lead to a cycle of binges as well as one week in between where I was constantly eating - but eating junk. Which in turn was followed by a week where I barely ate anything because I felt so sick... sooo... yeah...

Because of this, I figured I should try eating instead. :D

• Eat between 1600 and 1800 calories
  • Get at least 103g of protein 5x a week

3) Fight mindless snacking

This has been a problem lately... it has always been, really, in my life. I had managed to curb it at the beginning of the  year thanks to, um, having barely enough budget to eat, but it has come back with a vengeance lately. So, yeah, that needs to stop.

• No mindless snacking: if I want to snack, I need to take prepare the snack, like our moms and grandmothers did for us when we were children. So, let's say I feel like a slice of bread with nutella on it. This is what I would have to do: take out the bio-nutella equivalent and the orange juice and put it on the table together with cutlery, plates and glasses. Take out the bread, toast the bread, put it on a plate. Sit down, serve myself, then put everything back.

I am pretty sure that should be too much effort 9/10.

• Once a week, fast till the 9th hour This is a fasting method I have found where you don't eat anything until 9 hours after you wake up, then break the fast with a light meal, and have a hearty meal later on for dinner. This is to teach myself to be patient with food - part of the snacking issue comes from just not being able to wait until the next meal. This should train it.

This is also why I have a calorie range - I should be eating around 1650 calories a day form what I gathered, so going over on certain days will ensure I make up for the deficit I will certainly have on fasting days.

So those are my health goals for the physical aspect of my life.

Social - Emotional

Blogging practice

I really want a blog one day.

• Check in daily into NF
  • Post a daily animation on my Tumblr (here, for those interested, though it's mostly a collection of mind blurbs and some of those are in French)

Art - Spiritual

Draw

I haven't drawn anything in weeks and it's starting to get closer to months

• Set aside at least 1h per week to draw. Post progress picture.

Learn - Mental

Finish the edX Nutrition Course

Nutrition and Health Part 1: Macronutrients and Overnutrition

It's excellent, approaches the whole question of nutrition from a biological and medical standpoint while being very honest about the limitations of research. It anybody has the time to audit it or wish to get a certificate, they will re-run it this month. I have been on and off it for months, no thanks to the "self-paced" format. I really, really want to wrap it up over the next couple weeks and move on to Part 2.

• Work on the assignments of the course at least 4 hrs every week.

That is it. I think you can see how this works - there is a "main area" for development, and then small goals for all the rest. :) They rotate.

Side Quest: Monkey Level 2. I have not forgotten, no. ^^

• Like 4

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

In a nutshell:

Major:

1) Go swimming 2x a week

• At least 20 minutes of swim time. Work on increasing number of laps I can do without break and on increasing this to 40 minute sessions.

2) Nourish your body

• Eat between 1600 and 1800 calories
  • Get at least 103g of protein 5x a week

3) Fight mindless snacking

• No mindless snacking: if I want to snack, I need to take prepare the snack, like our moms and grandmothers did for us when we were children.
  • Once a week, fast till the 9th hour

Minor:

4) Blogging practice

• Check in daily into NF
  • Post a daily animation on my Tumblr (here, for those interested, though it's mostly a collection of mind blurbs and some of those are in French)

5) Draw 1h per week

6) Finish Nutrition Course

The Battle against he Monkey is still going strong at Level 2. That is, unfortunately, a battle I will have to fight all my life, so it's not a monthly challenge per se, more of a tool to achieve my goals, by now. :)

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Week 0 - Day 2

Went swimming this morning and it was wonderful! Despite it requiring a whole lot more willpower than exercising at home or going running, it truly is an exercise that pays off. You feel both tired, relaxed and refreshed all at once afterwards. :)

The snacking system seems to work on a first glance when I remember to enforce the rule... earlier on I was cleaning up something and saw a sugar cube and went "Hey, sugar cube" and put it in my mouth before realising 1) How silly that was and 2) that I wasn't supposed to just grab things anymore. Grapes have also been causing issue, but overall, the snacking has subsided a lot. As I expected, things are often really not worth the trouble.

As for everything else, I need to keep reminding myself to check into my daily log, and I have been cheating  abit on the daily animations by using the "publish at this time" option, but I guess that is part of blogging too. :)

Really looking forward to this challenge, at any rate; it is setting itself up to be a rather tough one.

• Like 1

Grumble. There are going to be a lot of people coming over rather early to my place today. Which does not bode well for productivity.

I might have to lock myself up in my room.

I can be very antisocial at times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Grumble. There are going to be a lot of people coming over rather early to my place today. Which does not bode well for productivity.

I might have to lock myself up in my room.

I can be very antisocial at times.

And sometimes you have to be to get shit done. I don't see a problem here...

Favim.com-586035.gif

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

6 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Aah roughly the same goals for nutrition. Very good, this will be easy to check of you are hitting your goals ;) (can you feel the pressure :P)

Let's do this!

Shite. :D

• Like 1

Did as planned, locked myself up. Was very productive, brain melted and so the workout tonight was a welcome break. 

Hit the 2000 calories today. Not very good on that limit. The reason behind this was me being stubborn, really. I wanted to have waffles in the morning and experiment using smoothies to make up for the protein deficit. I also did not want to eat the one chicken breast that was left in my fridge, or any of the expensive veggie proteins and use beans instead. There were also some grape involved to get my energy up before my workout.

Result: smashed calorie goal. 

That's what you get for being stupidly stubborn.

Snacking was also going well until I had to prepare some Serrano ham for an entrée, so I cut and ... hop! Into my mouth before I could weigh it.

Now I am debating whether or not eating stuff while cooking also counts as mindless snacking, if I do so AFTER I weighed them. 

It is amazing what sorts of existential questions we get ourselves into here at NerdFitness...

Anyhow:

Week 0 - Day 3 

Nutrition - B

Snacking - B

Checking in - A
Daily Animation - A

All other weekly goals are, for the moment, on track. Though I may have shot myself in the foot by signing on to a course on religious literacy that started, well, yesterday.
Thankfully it is self-paced, but it is very interactive and it pays off to keep up with the rhythm. Nutrition is still the priority, though.

Imma need a spreadsheet methinks. Anybody cares to throw over a template? I have making spreadsheets. (love using them though)

19 hours ago, mr_willes said:

You need a spreadsheet for tracking your challenge?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1un81_ZYVviSDvoYwtoy9DSF0zrV7Vfv1eHvMEZNqGPo/edit?usp=sharing

You can use mine, @Archon also took mine and upgraded it to fit his needs, feel free to use it if you want! 

Will have a look, thanks!

18 hours ago, Twilight said:

Swimmingggg! Yes! I need to do this, too. Darn knees, man.

The hardest part is getting started - I swear. Now I have a swimming bag that I just throw over my shoulders when I want to go swimming. That and a 10x pass. It helps. :)

• Like 1

Today was very cool overall thus far. I started off with some yoga for the first time in a while, I think I will do the same on Saturday or Sunday but with a longer practice. I miss it.
Also, today was overall quite chilled - everything I wanted to get done took much less time than expected, so I decided to go on a spontaneous swim at lunch which was great. The weather, after weeks of hail and freezing temperatures, is finally actually good.

...which just makes me want to sit on m balcony with a strong beer and forget calories, nutrition or responsibilities...

It's ok. Weekend is coming up soon. Weather better stay nice.

• Like 1

Aaand I forgot to check in yesterday night....

Yesterday was actually an IF day... so no food until 15h.

So, apparently, being in a fasted state is supposed to help you concentrate better and make you more lively.
It definitely makes me more lively, in the sense that I rush to do things so I can forget that I cannot eat until 15h.

Not exactly the spiritual experience I was hoping for. It is still a very interesting experiment. I have decided to note down my feelings and see if it's a matter of habit.

Interestingly enough, this feeling subsides at around 11h/12h after 3hrs of your mind and stomach complaining.

On the bright side, this meant I could have waffles again as part of a single meal. :P Yeah, yeah I know. In my defense, they are hand-made so they expire really quickly and I loath throwing out food. So I need to find a way to eat three more, 300 calorie liègeois waffles. Which for those who don't live in Belgium look like this:

GEDC0150.JPG

In this sense, it can definitely be worth it to just have one single meal at the end of the day. I also was not hungry at all when I went to bed.

Anyhow, I managed the no eating part thanks to a bunch of tea. Unfortunately, I then broke the "no mindless snacking" thing again in the evening and this morning. It's not horrible. The snacking HAS gone down a LOT. But I will still reach out for this or that once a day. Really need to up my game here.

Week 0 - Day 3 

Nutrition - X 5 (IF day)

Snacking - B

Checking in - B
Daily Animation - A

Swimming goal achieved

• Like 1

So it's a beautiful day and I just got invited to apéro. Which looks like this but with beer:

1958669-l-apero-saucisson-vin-rouge-prov

Calorie count = screwed.

At least I am sure to hit my protein goal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

So it's a beautiful day and I just got invited to apéro. Which looks like this but with beer:

1958669-l-apero-saucisson-vin-rouge-prov

Calorie count = screwed.

At least I am sure to hit my protein goal.

OMG, this needs a trigger warming, haha! Especially right before a weekend ;P

Your swimming goal makes me look forward to summer a lot, also (outdoor pool shenanigans with friends? Yes plz!)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Naxius said:

OMG, this needs a trigger warming, haha! Especially right before a weekend ;P

Your swimming goal makes me look forward to summer a lot, also (outdoor pool shenanigans with friends? Yes plz!)

I shall bear this in mind and put  trigger warning in the future. ;) In fact, I will put a trigger warning at the beginning of my thread: pictures of really tempting food might happen.

Tomorrow though, I am posting still rather drunk in the hopes of keeping myself accountable in the morning:

Things I learned:

I really crave milk chocolate when I am drunk. If I had some left in the fridge I would have destroyed it. Instead, I had a bunch of organic nutella bread and pears.

Speaking of pears, those actually stopped my cravings. Interesting.

I need to plan ahead for that barbecue I have planned later this month.

As an aside, I am actually quite proud of myself on one point - that seeing the time pushed me to go back home early. I am going to assume that is a learning point as well.

Looking forward to tomorrow reading this. Ironically today was an excellent day except for calorie goals. Interesting.

• Like 2

Ok, so yesterday night's posting was not as embarrassing as I thought it would be, they remain valid learning points and is what I would have written this morning anyhow.

I am however, very surprised at how I am feeling this morning which is horrid - despite going to bed at a decent hour. I had not thought I had drunk that much. I don't know if I am building a higher intolerance towards alcohol, or if the gap between how I normally feel and how I feel after a hangover has widened. As in, I feel much better on a daily basis.

At any rate, this is seriously making me consider quitting drinking altogether one day - and not in a hangover "omg I feel so terrible I shall never do it again" kind of way. Or at least until I can find friends for whom "Apéro" only means one or two beers and not ten (not that I had ten beers, actually, I think it was more like 3 -4 light lagers.

• Like 3

Today's balance:

Week 0 - Day 4

Calories - F

Protein - A

Snacking - A

Checking in - A
Daily Animation - A

(lol)

Week 0 - Day 5

Calories - A

Protein - A

Snacking - A

Checking in - in progress
Daily Animation - A

Working on Nutrition Course: 3hrs

Kind of proud of myself on this one, I refused to let my hangover mean another wasted day and managed to get quite a lot done. Even got three productivity points. 

The current score against the Monkey is :

Discipline Points: 46 Monkey Points: 16 Stash: 200 Spent: ??

I spent some points in the stash yesterday and today by deciding to take the afternoon off. Or, well. I moved yesterday's work to this morning but have not managed yet to get today's planned work done. So it is not really wasted time. I am hesitating on how to reflect that on the stash points. Probably I will say I spent 100, since it was two half-days off and and entire day off is worth 100 points from the stash.

Also hesitating on fully taking advantage of those spent points and not do anything this evening or actually get done those things I had planned for today. I am realising that a side-effect of self discipline is that after a while you WANT to get your obligations done, regardless of whether you have earned the right to rest or no.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Following along! I like your goals! Especially no mindless snacking. I am a mindless snacker, and I think I will follow your excellent example :)

It works quite nicely. :)

Did I not check in yesterday? Something is off with the day count...

Week 0 - Day 5

Calories - X I took a second IF day to make up for the alcohol splurge. Also, my tummy was rather upset so it was a welcome change.

Protein - A

Snacking - B Grabbed stuff while cooking.

Checking in - A
Daily Animation - A

Working on Nutrition Course: 3hrs

Drawing: 45 minutes

Anyhow it is time for the

WEEKLY RECAP:

Spoiler

1) Go swimming 2x a week - A+

Swam 3x. Check.

2) Nourish your body: B

• Eat between 1600 and 1800 calories - C
  • Get at least 103g of protein 5x a week - A

Went on a major splurge on Thursday and had to make it up today by not eating much due to my tummy being completely shot. Ugh.

3) Fight mindless snacking: A -

• No mindless snacking: if I want to snack, I need to take prepare the snack, like our moms and grandmothers did for us when we were children. -B
  • Once a week, fast till the 9th hour - A

Rocky start here, but getting

Minor:

4) Blogging practice: A-

• Check in daily into NF - B
  • Post a daily animation on my Tumblr (here, for those interested, though it's mostly a collection of mind blurbs and some of those are in French) - A

Thanks god for scheduled posts.

5) Draw 1h per week - B

Got 45 minutes in.

6) Finish Nutrition Course - A

Got the 4hours in today

Tomorrow I shall have that spreadsheet done, so I can better track my days. u.u This will be fun.

ALSO:

NEW MAJOR SUMMER GOAL FOR THE NEXT THREE CHALLENGES:

You shall not have more than two units of a given alcohol piece per evening.

No, seriously, I really enjoy beer but I have lost all interest in getting drunk on it. No. more. Drunkenness. My body does not recover as well anymore or I care too much now to endure more hangovers.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 2:14 PM, Miw_Sher said:

Go swimming 2x a week

Specifics.  What will swimming entail?  Going for a lap number? Going for Total swim time?  Doing Timed laps for speed?  Something else?

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano