• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

ironmeg

IronMeg's first challenge - 10 points for Gryffindor

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

I am very excited to embark on my first challenge. I have tried to make it detailed and fit my life well. Hopefully not taking on too much for my first time. I have actually decided to start my challenge early (today) and I'll try to update often :)

 

 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        16-19 = A  14 = B 12 = C 10 = D 8 = F
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        25-28 = A 24 = B 20 = C 16 = D 12 = F
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        12-14 = A 10 = B 9 = C 8 = D 7 = F
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        5 = A 4 = B 3 = C 2 = D 1 = F
        
        
Prizes! 
A = Drill Press
B = cricut cutter/curio
C = Wood Burning Kit
D = Donate $100 to Random Acts Charity (Good Charity)
F = Donate $100 to PETA (BAAAAAAAAD)

 

That's the plan any ways. I look forward to a great beginning challenge! Until next time....

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! Yea I suppose I could include a little about me and my hobby lol. I do a lot of things, but mostly I work in woodworking and crochet, but I've been known to do a lot of other things like cosplay and leatherworking as well. I just really enjoy creating things :) The part where the challenge comes in, is I'm trying to overcome my fear of selling my items. I think they are great and a lot of people could really enjoy them, but it's fear of failure really. I'm going to create a line of products to put out and really give it my all and see what comes of it. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ironmeg said:

Ha! Yea I suppose I could include a little about me and my hobby lol. I do a lot of things, but mostly I work in woodworking and crochet, but I've been known to do a lot of other things like cosplay and leatherworking as well. I just really enjoy creating things :) The part where the challenge comes in, is I'm trying to overcome my fear of selling my items. I think they are great and a lot of people could really enjoy them, but it's fear of failure really. I'm going to create a line of products to put out and really give it my all and see what comes of it. 

 

As a beginning towards this goal, have you thought of creating your own Facebook page? I don't mean one for you, but one where you can showcase and offer your creations? I know many people who do this and their nerdy friends help by sharing your pic's thereby getting your name out there. Just a thought!

 

Have a great first challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your response. I do have a Facebook page, two actually, but I've never been able to focus my craft on a specific enough genre to acquire a fan base, or to build up a reputation. It's like the difference between a well made store and a garage sale. I'm hoping to hone my skills into something more marketable. Not easy :/ and I hate the politics of it all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well yesterday was a doosie. Of course life decides to go into hard mode once I make the decision to try harder to beat it! Our dryer kicked the bucket so we had to make an emergency trip to Lowe's to buy new ones, just after purchasing our honeymoon so, lots of money spent recently :/ and all of this happened on a Monday. Work was hell, I'm sore top to bottom from helping a friend move this weekend, then buying new washer/dryer, by the time I got home I didn't want to do a damn thing, and I didn't. We watched Game of Thrones and sat on the couch :D. 

 

All in all though, it wasn't a terrible day, I was able to track my calories. My goal is to stay under 1500 while I get used to tracking my calories again, Then I want to gradually drop it to be 1200. 

 

Calories:

Monday - 1360

 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        0/19
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        1/28
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        0/14
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        0/5

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

 

Your hobbies sound really cool! I crochet too, but I haven't in a while. 

 

My favourite thing to do while cleaning is to listen to an audio book, then the time just flies by! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ironmeg said:

Ha! Yea I suppose I could include a little about me and my hobby lol. I do a lot of things, but mostly I work in woodworking and crochet, but I've been known to do a lot of other things like cosplay and leatherworking as well. I just really enjoy creating things :) The part where the challenge comes in, is I'm trying to overcome my fear of selling my items. I think they are great and a lot of people could really enjoy them, but it's fear of failure really. I'm going to create a line of products to put out and really give it my all and see what comes of it. 

Very cool! You should post pictures here. Maybe we could help you come up with a theme to help with marketing. I know that part sucks. I frequently had to figure out how to market library materials and programs that were just...out there. Just make sure you keep enjoying it as a hobby, and I bet a theme will present itself when you start looking back over your pieces.

 

1 hour ago, ironmeg said:

Well yesterday was a doosie. Of course life decides to go into hard mode once I make the decision to try harder to beat it! Our dryer kicked the bucket so we had to make an emergency trip to Lowe's to buy new ones, just after purchasing our honeymoon so, lots of money spent recently :/ and all of this happened on a Monday. Work was hell, I'm sore top to bottom from helping a friend move this weekend, then buying new washer/dryer, by the time I got home I didn't want to do a damn thing, and I didn't. We watched Game of Thrones and sat on the couch :D. 

And I sympathize with a rough Monday! Good job on getting your calories tracked! And I would just consider purchasing a new dryer as prep for cleaning up! After all, you can't clean with piles of dirty laundry everywhere! :D I hope today goes better for you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dreamspin said:

Hello, welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

 

Your hobbies sound really cool! I crochet too, but I haven't in a while. 

 

My favourite thing to do while cleaning is to listen to an audio book, then the time just flies by! 

 

Hey Dreamspin! Thanks for the welcome. I LOVE audio books, and that is a really good idea. I usually listen to them while I'm crafting and such as well. Do you have any you recommend? I listen to Harry Potter, and Hunger Games over and over... just recently been listening to Level up your life, but I'm out of book ideas.

 

21 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Very cool! You should post pictures here. Maybe we could help you come up with a theme to help with marketing. I know that part sucks. I frequently had to figure out how to market library materials and programs that were just...out there. Just make sure you keep enjoying it as a hobby, and I bet a theme will present itself when you start looking back over your pieces.

 

And I sympathize with a rough Monday! Good job on getting your calories tracked! And I would just consider purchasing a new dryer as prep for cleaning up! After all, you can't clean with piles of dirty laundry everywhere! :D I hope today goes better for you!

 

Thank PollyannaAgain. I'm really hoping today goes better as well. A new CIO just started at our company so everyone is kinda freaking out trying to be perfect and every big project is on hold. It's crazy right now. I have an event to go to after work as well, but I'm really hoping to get even just a few minutes of cleaning in afterwards. 14 hours is a rough goal for me to hit (I hate cleaning but love having a clean house). 

 

If you'd like to see them I'll start posting pics of my projects as I complete them. I'm working to create a complete theme line of projects and release them all together as such. This one is Harry Potter themed. With the new movie coming out in November and all the hype that is creating I thought it was a good time for that within the next few months.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting daily will probably get annoying to read but I'm excited so I gotta update! Yesterday was difficult, as expected. We went out to dinner with my fiance's family for a birthday celebration, but I made good choices all day. I ate the lunch I brought to work, I didn't snack too much, I was able to squeeze in 45 mins of cleaning before we left to meet everyone, and even chose a salad at dinner. I'm pleased with how the day went :). More good days to come!

 


Calories:
Monday - 1360
Tuesday - 1406
Wednesday - 
Thursday - 
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        1/19
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        2/28
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        .75/14
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        0/5

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite epic fantasy series are The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) and A Song of Ice and Fire (George R. R. Martin). Those two would be enough to cover hundreds of hours of listening time! :-) For a punnishly good time, I recommend Piers Anthony Xanth novels, but I've only read those, not listened to them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dreamspin said:

My favourite epic fantasy series are The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) and A Song of Ice and Fire (George R. R. Martin). Those two would be enough to cover hundreds of hours of listening time! :-) For a punnishly good time, I recommend Piers Anthony Xanth novels, but I've only read those, not listened to them. 

 

Aren't the Xanth novels the fairy ones heavily illustrated? I think I recall someone saying they are beautiful, I might have to actually read them some day. I'm a huge GoT fan, and I've wanted to read the books, I might need to just push that one to the top of my list....... I'll check out The Wheel of Time as well. Thanks for the great recommendations!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Xanth novels are only illustrated on the covers (but the illustrations are nice); they're very silly and contain a lot of mild tennage-level sexual innuendo (I think Piers Anthony is a bit of a perv, lol).

 

Roy Dotrice is an excellent narrator for GoT, he's had to maintain over 200 character voices over the series. He changes them a little bit between books, but who can blame him? Michael Kramer and Kate Redding are amazing narrators for the Wheel of Time series, and they also do wonderful character voices. I find that the character voices really create a compelling immersion compared to reading alone, if that helps with the push! :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dreamspin said:

The Xanth novels are only illustrated on the covers (but the illustrations are nice); they're very silly and contain a lot of mild tennage-level sexual innuendo (I think Piers Anthony is a bit of a perv, lol).

 

Roy Dotrice is an excellent narrator for GoT, he's had to maintain over 200 character voices over the series. He changes them a little bit between books, but who can blame him? Michael Kramer and Kate Redding are amazing narrators for the Wheel of Time series, and they also do wonderful character voices. I find that the character voices really create a compelling immersion compared to reading alone, if that helps with the push! :-)

 

Very awesome, I have a credit waiting for one of these on audible... I'm trying to decide between GoT and WoT. lol... Reading GoT bothers me because I know there is no ending, so I'm leaning toward WoT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do it! :-)

 

Based on your love of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I'm guessing you are a fan of the unlikely hero, coming-of-age type stories, and WoT is definitely that, and overall it's a LOT more tame than GoT. I found while listening to GoT, I would often get stressed out from all the violence and intrigue. There's that too in WoT, but much less graphic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay for making things! Boo for failing dryers!

 

Your challenge looks well put together and I'd love to see photos of the things you've made. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Severine said:

Yay for making things! Boo for failing dryers!

 

Your challenge looks well put together and I'd love to see photos of the things you've made. 

 

Thanks! I appreciate it :D I'll try to take some pictures once I get everything going. My fiance is AMAZING and has agreed to go to our friends house on his own tonight to do a load of laundry so I can stay home and work on things, both cleaning and woodworking/sewing wise. I'm pleased to finally get some time to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love your hobby themed posts!  I would love to see some of your work!

 

Another book series you might like is The Magicians by Lev Grossman.  It's kind of a Harry Potter for adults.  

 

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

Add my voice to the demand for photos of your crafts. Maybe in-process photos, too

lol thanks, I'll be working on some tonight so maybe I can oblige :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, stats first. Yesterday was pretty good, could have been better. 

 

Calories:
Monday - 1360
Tuesday - 1406
Wednesday - 1480
Thursday - 
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        2/19
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        3/28
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        .75/14
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        Items complete: 2/5    How-tos complete: 0/5

 

 

I'm also going to include pictures of three projects I've been working on. Two wand holders and replica flying brooms from the Harry Potter movies, as well as some "in the making" shots.

 

 

*edit* aaaaand the pictures aren't showing up. It keeps telling me I can only upload 0MB of media.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now