• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ironmeg

IronMeg's first challenge - 10 points for Gryffindor

Wow that's some impressive woodwork. Thank you for showing up at the monks. I wouldn't have known you're doing a martial art, if you hadn't mentioned it there. If you want to chat about it just drop by the Courtyard. Happy to have you here.

Edit: And I think there will be a creative accountabillity group again. We just have to create a new topic. I'll give you the link as soon as it's ready.

1 hour ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Wow that's some impressive woodwork. Thank you for showing up at the monks. I wouldn't have known you're doing a martial art, if you hadn't mentioned it there. If you want to chat about it just drop by the Courtyard. Happy to have you here.

Edit: And I think there will be a creative accountabillity group again. We just have to create a new topic. I'll give you the link as soon as it's ready.

Awesome thanks! I look forward to creative accountability group, sounds awesome. Yes, this first challenge I wanted to start off a bit simple with my health goals, but I look forward to getting back into martial arts to assist in weightloss and body toning, plus peace of mind :)

Dailies:

Calories:
Monday - 1360
Tuesday - 1406
Wednesday - 1480
Thursday - 1485
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        3/19 - On track!
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        4/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        Items complete: 2/5    How-tos complete: 0/5

I was pretty disappointed today, as Friday is my weigh in and I didn't see any progress. I felt like I did a great job sticking to my goals but I'm thinking my goals need to be a bit more strict. Aiming for 1500 a day seemed a bit easy, and I should drop it down to 1300 for next week. Although it's not actually part of my challenge to hit a specific number, only to track every day, it's just an aim. 

I got a lot of cleaning done yesterday and my home feels so much better for it. I'm please with how this part of the challenge is going so far. 

• Like 1

Great goals!  Your work is amazing too!  Love the pictures!  I really like the idea of leveling up your hobby in your goals - and the idea of prizes to yourself!  I may have to borrow those ideas!  ;-)

Because i do photography, I can absolutely incorporate steps, calories etc right along with it too!

• Like 1

Looks like you're doing great so far. I'm going to give my two cents even though you didn't ask: don't drop your calories! Unless you're extremely petite and totally sedentary, 1500 is already a relatively low calorie goal for weight loss. There are a thousand reasons you might not see a weight loss on a given particular day or week, ranging from water retention to the contents of your stomach and intestines. The body responds to changes in a non-linear fashion. I lost a lot of weight over a one-year period and it was sporadic - sometimes I would lose nothing for a week or two, then lose three pounds the next week. Don't act like the scale is a totally reliable measure of whether you're doing the right things, because it's not that simple. Just design a sensible plan, stick to it, be patient, and ignore the fluctuations along the way.

Dropping your calories down too low can have a variety of bad side effects ranging from exhaustion to trouble concentrating to irritability to increased risk of injury during exercise. Don't starve yourself! 

• Like 4

Love your goals, love the prize structure, love the pictures.  Looking forward to seeing more!

I had a cleaning goal in my first challenge (the one I actually completed) and I was actually pretty successful.  I still wasn't perfect after, but I was thankful because it made some cleaning more of a habit and made moving out of my apartment later that year A LOT easier.  I need to change my signature some, but I'll keep the link to my first challenge there if you're interested in looking at it.  Before and after pictures helped there too!

I do agree with Severine though.  It obviously depends on the individual (height, weight, current calorie intake), but a drastically low number of calories isn't good.  I've known a lot of women who try the 1200 calories a day and not one of them lost weight permanently because they couldn't stick with it.  Those who did gained it back as soon as they allowed themselves more calories.  Especially if you're exercising more now than before (not sure from your challenge goals), don't starve yourself.

3 hours ago, Severine said:

Looks like you're doing great so far. I'm going to give my two cents even though you didn't ask: don't drop your calories! Unless you're extremely petite and totally sedentary, 1500 is already a relatively low calorie goal for weight loss. There are a thousand reasons you might not see a weight loss on a given particular day or week, ranging from water retention to the contents of your stomach and intestines. The body responds to changes in a non-linear fashion. I lost a lot of weight over a one-year period and it was sporadic - sometimes I would lose nothing for a week or two, then lose three pounds the next week. Don't act like the scale is a totally reliable measure of whether you're doing the right things, because it's not that simple. Just design a sensible plan, stick to it, be patient, and ignore the fluctuations along the way.

Dropping your calories down too low can have a variety of bad side effects ranging from exhaustion to trouble concentrating to irritability to increased risk of injury during exercise. Don't starve yourself! 

Thank you very much for your input. The thing is I actually am a really petite person only 4'11" 158 lbs right now and pretty sedentary. I work at a desk but I'm relatively active at home with my hobbies. I don't want to hurt myself, but at the same time I don't want to be too lenient on myself that it doesn't help....

2 hours ago, wilkymouse said:

Love your goals, love the prize structure, love the pictures.  Looking forward to seeing more!

I had a cleaning goal in my first challenge (the one I actually completed) and I was actually pretty successful.  I still wasn't perfect after, but I was thankful because it made some cleaning more of a habit and made moving out of my apartment later that year A LOT easier.  I need to change my signature some, but I'll keep the link to my first challenge there if you're interested in looking at it.  Before and after pictures helped there too!

I do agree with Severine though.  It obviously depends on the individual (height, weight, current calorie intake), but a drastically low number of calories isn't good.  I've known a lot of women who try the 1200 calories a day and not one of them lost weight permanently because they couldn't stick with it.  Those who did gained it back as soon as they allowed themselves more calories.  Especially if you're exercising more now than before (not sure from your challenge goals), don't starve yourself.

Starving myself is the last thing I want to do lol. I've never been much for exercise, because I would rather be crafting. I move quite a bit while wood working and sewing and such, but it's definitely not like working out.

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

THE WAND HOLDERS ARE SO COOL!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ironmeg said:

Thank you very much for your input. The thing is I actually am a really petite person only 4'11" 158 lbs right now and pretty sedentary. I work at a desk but I'm relatively active at home with my hobbies. I don't want to hurt myself, but at the same time I don't want to be too lenient on myself that it doesn't help....

Starving myself is the last thing I want to do lol. I've never been much for exercise, because I would rather be crafting. I move quite a bit while wood working and sewing and such, but it's definitely not like working out.

That's why I was trying not to assume whether that's the appropriate amount of calories.  I'm on the opposite end of the height spectrum and would not survive that kind of calorie intake.  You know what's best for you, but pay attention to your body too.  It will let you know if you need more food.  I'd definitely suggest loading up on veggies before the rest of a meal.  Takes more of them to get many calories and they're filling or at least give the illusion of being filling so you'll be less tempted by less healthy foods.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wilkymouse said:

That's why I was trying not to assume whether that's the appropriate amount of calories.  I'm on the opposite end of the height spectrum and would not survive that kind of calorie intake.  You know what's best for you, but pay attention to your body too.  It will let you know if you need more food.  I'd definitely suggest loading up on veggies before the rest of a meal.  Takes more of them to get many calories and they're filling or at least give the illusion of being filling so you'll be less tempted by less healthy foods.

Yea that is a good idea. I've specifically been calorie counting, I'm sure all calories aren't created equal though. I should do more research about good vs. bad calorie intake 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ironmeg said:

Yea that is a good idea. I've specifically been calorie counting, I'm sure all calories aren't created equal though. I should do more research about good vs. bad calorie intake 

I agree with other folks. 1200 can be a drastic number depending. TDEE-20% is more math to figure out, imperfect, and needs to be recalculated every 5-10 lbs (depending on your size--I'm tiny so 10 lbs was too infrequent lol), but you will end up with a much more sustainable number. Slower is better, anyway. You don't want to do a crash diet that will just make it tempting to fall way off the wagon early and overcompensate for the deficit in a fit of hangry binging.

IIFYM.com has a TDEE calculator that isn't bad. When in doubt, estimate your activity on the low side.

(For reference, I'm not quite 5' tall and would eat 1350 to cut now, at 104 lbs, so chances are you can eat a few hundred more with decent, sustainable results.)

• Like 2

Yeah sorry if it sounded like I was making assumptions! You are quite petite (good for stealth!) so lower numbers do make sense in your case. As long as you've got your eye on your TDEE and are matching what you're doing with that, and adjusting along the way based on how you feel, you'll be good! I just see so many women do the "I didn't lose weight this week TIME TO CUT CALORIES AGAIN" thing that I have a knee-jerk NOOOOOO reaction hard-wired in. Apologies for any perturbation :)

Whatever your calorie goal, I am a huge fan of focusing on caloric and nutrient density when choosing foods. I think of it like a nutritional budget and getting good value for my expenditures. For 200 calories I can eat a tiny little portion-controlled chocolate bar, OR a giant plate full of deliciously caramelized roasted veggies. Sugar rush aside, the veggies are going to leave me much more satisfied, both in the sense that I'm full, and also in that I just got a whole lot of actual valuable nutrition along with my calories. 

As for more fun topics: I love that woodworking is a central part of your crafting! My uncle was a woodworker and I spent a lot of time in his furniture shop growing up. I learned a lot and I love love love making things. One day I'd love to have a fully stocked proper woodshop in my garage. One day...

• Like 4

Thank you all for your information. I would normally quote you when responding but I didn't want to plaster this post with quotes lol. 

For those of you that recommended the IIFYM calculator, thank you! It really is a good one and tons of information. I'll post my results in the next post because I can't post pictures unless I use the app ><, going off "sedentary" and no work outs, so any woodworking or weekend outings I do is a bonus in calorie burn. (We went to the renn faire this weekend, lots of walking! Plus I worked in the garden and painted part of a fence.)

I definitely did not think badly about anyone's suggestions, in fact you are still probably right even though I am petite. I was definitely feeling down after weighing on Friday and feeling like I failed, especially after such a good week. My fiance encouraged me to weigh again in a couple of days before making any changes, so I did, and guess what? I'm down again :) It's a very slow pattern of weight loss so far, about 1 lb a week loss while I'm sticking to under 1500, but it's sustainable so far.I don't feel overly hungry all the time, nor do I try to binge eat. It's enough cals in a day to allow me to go out to eat every once in a while, as long as I'm careful. Thank you for all of your support as well, I think it would probably better benifit me to add some exercise in eventually as well, but I've just never enjoyed regular exercise, which is why I'm hoping to get into martial arts again. No idea where I'm going to start with that though... still a lot to consider. For now, I'll stick with my 1400-1500 cals and slow, but steady decrease.

I'll post my first weeks scores tomorrow!

• Like 5

Ooooo, Ren faire! I can't wait until those start up around here, though I always eat way too much junk food at them. I'm hoping to lose enough weight so that my bodice is a little less suffocating this summer/fall. 

Sounds like you're doing well and figuring out the calorie intake you need. The thing I like about the challenges (even my failed ones) is that there is trial and error to find out what works for you. 

• Like 2

I'm just getting caught up buddy and loving your progress!

I count calories as well (www.loseit.com) but remember not all calories are the same. I noticed my biggest weight loss was when I dropped my carbs down 15-20% and pushed (find it hard) my protein up the same.

Thanks for the pics of your woodworking, can't wait to see your next project.

• Like 1

Ok, first week down. Had a really busy and productive weekend :) Hope your weekend was awesome too!

Calories:
Monday - 1360
Tuesday - 1406
Wednesday - 1480
Thursday - 1485
Friday - 1415
Saturday - 1329
Sunday - 1505

Level up my health:
        3/19 - On track!
        4/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:

• Like 3

Yesterday was a very difficult day. There is a very large amount of stress going on. Work is horrendous, I'm doing atleast 3 people's jobs, so none of them get done to the level of accuracy that I strive for, which just makes me even more stressed. Also, and I probably didn't mention this before, but I'm getting married soon. We have been engaged for about a year and a half and planned a long engagement to make it easier on us. This weekend it hit us..... we have 6 months! All the big stuff has been done for a while, venue, honeymoon, lodging etc, but now all the little stuff is really piling up. The stress has kicked on strong. So I may have stress ate a bit yesterday and gone slightly over my calories :( I'm also considering changing my crafting challenge to complete some of my more wedding related projects, just to get them done and out of my stress pool. 

On another note, we get our new washer/dryer set today, so cleaning will definitely be happening.....

Calories:
Monday - 1570
Tuesday - 
Wednesday - 
Thursday - 
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
        4/19 - On track!
        8/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:

• Like 4

That's a lot to be dealing with.  There are positives though - new washer and dryer and it looks like you're on track with your challenge!  I'm usually a giant ball of stress (And usually thanks to work), so I can empathize with how you're feeling.  I've let stress kill 2 challenges, but at the same time, the challenges can help the stress some because it's bringing back control.  Don't be afraid to edit your challenge some if life throws you a curveball.

You're doing well!  Don't let Monday bring you down :)

• Like 1