• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ironmeg

IronMeg's first challenge - 10 points for Gryffindor

5 minutes ago, wilkymouse said:

That's a lot to be dealing with.  There are positives though - new washer and dryer and it looks like you're on track with your challenge!  I'm usually a giant ball of stress (And usually thanks to work), so I can empathize with how you're feeling.  I've let stress kill 2 challenges, but at the same time, the challenges can help the stress some because it's bringing back control.  Don't be afraid to edit your challenge some if life throws you a curveball.

You're doing well!  Don't let Monday bring you down :)

Thanks Wilky, I'll definitely try. Today is looking better, and Tomorrow I think I've decided to turn down the free lunch they are catering and stick to what I'm bringing to keep up with the challenge as well. The Thursday I have a lunch and learn meeting so that will probably skew my bring lunch goal a bit, but that is why I have left a bit of flexibility in the grading scale. All in all I'm still keeping up with my goals. I need to focus on the big picture and not just the small issues. Thanks for the encouragement, I needed that!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ironmeg said:

Thanks Wilky, I'll definitely try. Today is looking better, and Tomorrow I think I've decided to turn down the free lunch they are catering and stick to what I'm bringing to keep up with the challenge as well. The Thursday I have a lunch and learn meeting so that will probably skew my bring lunch goal a bit, but that is why I have left a bit of flexibility in the grading scale. All in all I'm still keeping up with my goals. I need to focus on the big picture and not just the small issues. Thanks for the encouragement, I needed that!

Anytime! :D

You just reminded me we're having ice cream cake at work today because it's the intern's last day.  I'm always excited for cake...but I'm also kind of hoping to be able to not have any without any major problems from my boss/coworkers.  The whole "you look fine, just enjoy the food" thing can be frustrating and I usually give in more because of that than actually craving junk food.  It's great if you have the willpower to avoid the catered lunch!  Just remember that you might as well eat what you brought since you put the effort into bringing it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ironmeg said:

Yesterday was a very difficult day. There is a very large amount of stress going on. Work is horrendous, I'm doing atleast 3 people's jobs, so none of them get done to the level of accuracy that I strive for, which just makes me even more stressed. Also, and I probably didn't mention this before, but I'm getting married soon. We have been engaged for about a year and a half and planned a long engagement to make it easier on us. This weekend it hit us..... we have 6 months! All the big stuff has been done for a while, venue, honeymoon, lodging etc, but now all the little stuff is really piling up. The stress has kicked on strong. So I may have stress ate a bit yesterday and gone slightly over my calories :( I'm also considering changing my crafting challenge to complete some of my more wedding related projects, just to get them done and out of my stress pool. 

Congratulations on the wedding! And hang in there! I completely understand the stress eating, and I'm sure you'll bounce back. :D And I don't see anything wrong with focusing on your wedding crafts. If nothing else, it will help you develop the habit of working on a specific theme--aka, your wedding! Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

I totally hear you on the stress eating. I'm a worrier by nature (though I have hope I can change that over time) and the more stressed out I am the harder it is for me to make good choices and take care of myself. It's why I decided to make tackling procrastination one of my health/food goals - it's so closely linked. But your idea of getting stuff out of your stress pool (I love that way of putting it) is damn smart and it's a good idea. Congrats on the upcoming wedding btw!

Definitely don't sweat the calories - you barely went over! You're still completely on track. 

Obviously I know nothing about your work situation, but if you can do so without endangering your job, then don't be afraid to set boundaries. "Sorry, I'm completely swamped right now because I am covering X and Y in addition to my usual job. That will have to wait or be handled by someone else" or "If that's a high priority, I'll get it done, but I'll need to shelve something else to make time. Should I drop X, Y, or Z in order to get this done?" etc. etc. And if you can't set those kinds of reasonable boundaries without getting fired, it's maybe time to think about moving to a less crazy workplace!

Good luck!! You can do this. You are, in fact, doing it. Just keep rolling along.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dreamspin said:

Are you in IT? I'm a software developer myself :-) 

Congrats on your engagement! 

Me too! Software devs unite!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I am working on being less stressed about all the little things and just concentrate on what I'm doing. 

12 hours ago, Dreamspin said:

Are you in IT? I'm a software developer myself :-) 

Congrats on your engagement! 

11 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Me too! Software devs unite!

I am in I.T., I'm a Data Protection Engineer, so I'm on the systems side instead of the Dev side. It's a great job and I REALLY enjoy it, it's just overly stressful when they decide to just keep piling on the responsibilities without giving any more help. I've said "I don't have time to do X" more times than I can count but everything they ask me to do is really important. The problem is, all the little things get left by the way side. They know this though, they know I can either be great at one job or mediocre at 3-5, but they don't care as long as I keep the ship floating....

Anyways off of my pedestal. 

• Like 2

Yesterday was much better calorie wise and we got our Washer/Dryer in. Finally get to clean clothes! My laziness strike is still going strong though. We had to go get my fiance fitted for his jacket for the wedding last night, which went REALLY well, but by the time we got home I did not want to do any house work or crafting. Which was fine, it was a nice quiet evening watching Strar Trek with the soon-to-be-hubby lol. 

I'm hoping to get some serious cleaning done tonight though, I don't want to have to binge it all this weekend to get caught up! Here's the standing:

Calories:
Monday - 1570
Tuesday - 1345
Wednesday - 
Thursday - 
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
    Pack a lunch for work 4 days a week 
        5/19 - On track!
    Keep track of calorie counts every day
        9/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:
    Complete 5 unique items, including how-to blog posts
        Items complete: 3/5    How-tos complete: 0/5
        Items complete:
          X wand holder
          replica brooms
          Fabric flowers for the wedding

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ironmeg said:

I am in I.T., I'm a Data Protection Engineer, so I'm on the systems side instead of the Dev side. It's a great job and I REALLY enjoy it, it's just overly stressful when they decide to just keep piling on the responsibilities without giving any more help. I've said "I don't have time to do X" more times than I can count but everything they ask me to do is really important. The problem is, all the little things get left by the way side. They know this though, they know I can either be great at one job or mediocre at 3-5, but they don't care as long as I keep the ship floating....

I can sympathize, it sucks to get overloaded like that. Do you have any tools that visualize your to-do list and work in progress? I find it sometimes helps get things through to management if it becomes visually clear that you're already working on 10 things and doing that is very inefficient. I find that keeping a personal kanban board is indispensable when trying to stay sane with a ton of tasks and conflicting priorities (my favourite tool is a physical board with stickies or Trello).

Cheers! :-) 

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions of the board! I actually did that, I'll include a picture in another post. It really does work so far. It help me keep it all in front of me, while showing others what I'm working on too. Very neat!

So it's been a long couple of days, and I failed to count my calories yesterday due to a lunch meeting but here we go:

Calories:
Monday - 1570
Tuesday - 1345
Wednesday - 1325
Thursday - Unable to count
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
        6/19 - On track!
          *lost one day due to lunch 'n learn
        10/28 - On track!

Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2 hrs 30 min/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:
        Items complete:
          X wand holder
          replica brooms

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Fluffy said:

Whew - you are super busy!  Keep doing a great job.

LOL thanks, I'm beginning to think too busy :/ I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up with my challenges. This weekend has been crazy and eating well wasn't much of an option. I tried to portion myself well but, I'm just going to have to get back up on that horse tomorrow.... I did not complete the cleaning time for this week, and if I still want to get an A, I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do. *sigh*

• Like 1

I had a rough weekend and I'm feeling the results of it :/ I have a severe case of the Mondays.....

I'm trying very hard to get back up on the horse, but my motivation to do so is incredibly lacking. 

Calories:
Monday - 1570
Tuesday - 1345
Wednesday - 1325
Thursday - Unable to count
Friday - failed
Saturday - failed
Sunday - failed

Level up my health:
        6/19 - On track!
          *lost one day cause mondays suck
        10/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        2 hrs 30 min/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:
        Items complete:
          X wand holder
          replica brooms

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ironmeg said:

I had a rough weekend and I'm feeling the results of it :/ I have a severe case of the Mondays.....

I'm trying very hard to get back up on the horse, but my motivation to do so is incredibly lacking. 

Hang in there! The motivation drain is totally normal for that spot around weeks two and three! Just forget about last week and start fresh today! You can do it!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ironmeg said:

LOL thanks, I'm beginning to think too busy :/ I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up with my challenges.......just going to have to get back up on that horse tomorrow.

Don't over do it.  Overwhelming yourself will lead to increased stress, decreased motivation and bad feelings - booooooo.  

Get right up on that pony!  I am riding my real one, you ride the metaphorical one and we will rock our challenges

• Like 1

Pick something small that will make you feel more accomplished - something small like cleaning off the cluttered coffee table. Something you can do in 5 minutes. When I feel discouraged, it helps to give myself some small tangible thing to point to as a sign that I can be successful and get shit done. 

And don't get down on yourself for a day that didn't go as planned, or even a week or two that goes poorly. Remember the goal is being healthy for your whole life. The people who are healthy consistently are the ones who ignore the 5% or 10% of days that go pear-shaped, and just keep being healthy. People who are devastated when a few days go off track often go into denial/avoidance/defeat mode and stop trying altogether. Better to aim for 90% and make it than to aim for 100% and fail and give up and slide back down to 60%.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for your support. I was able to get back up on that horse and ride again :). I got some cleaning done last night, and my wonderful fiance cleaned with me so it was like we got double the stuff done in the amount of time! the house is looking a lot better, which just makes me feel better in general. Still have a lot to do to catch up from last week but it's looking a bit less daunting now. 

I really need to work on my how-to's......

Calories:
Monday - 1480
Tuesday - 
Wednesday - 
Thursday -  
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
        6/19 - On track!
        11/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        3 hrs 20 min/14 - on track!
Level up my hobby:
        Items complete:
          X wand holder
          replica brooms

• Like 4

Have you considered scaling back on anything using week 1 as a guide?  For example, I tried to do weekly blog posts for one challenge and couldn't even keep on top of that, partly because I was writing how-to craft posts and detailed film reviews.  5 unique items and blog posts on all of them might be a lot to bite off, depending on how in-depth your posts are.  It's good to have a goal, but don't be afraid to alter it some if you need to.  You don't need to completely throw away any part of the challenge.  

Glad to hear you didn't let a crummy weekend get you down!

• Like 3

Thanks wilky, I'm still hoping to atleast get a B in blog post's... we'll see

Yesterday was a high calorie day, because we went out to dinner with my fiance's mother and I didn't do as well as I thought I did. I got a salad too, but it came with bread and soup....

Anyways, I also finished another project, a commission. It was the black mage staff from Final Fantasy (vivi), I'm going to count that as one of my crafts too lol. 

Calories:
Monday - 1480
Tuesday - 1690 PL
Wednesday - 
Thursday -  
Friday - 
Saturday - 
Sunday - 

Level up my health:
        7/19 - On track!
        12/28 - On track!
Level up my life:
    14 hours of cleaning
        3 hrs 25 min/14 
Level up my hobby:
        Items complete: 4/5    How-tos complete: 0/5
        Items complete:
          X wand holder
          replica brooms
          vivi staff commission

• Like 5

So for those following along, apparently this is actually a challenge of how well can Meagan keep her shit together while life just throws everything at her. Here has been my last few weeks.

About 3 weeks ago, the fiance and I finally found our honeymoon and had the money saved up for it. About 3k trip to Ireland and scottland. Yay! (Super excited about this, but it's expensive, what could go wrong?)

Less than a week later, our dryer dies. We did everything we could to fix it but just had to buy a new set. There goes another 1.5k.

This morning I wake up, and Eric asks me if I left the garden watering system on because water pressure is really low. I did not. Walk into the garage, it's practically flooded. The water heater is leaking. So I write to you as I sit in the parking lot of my bank waiting for it to open so I can take out the 800 dollars to pay for a new one >

On top of all that, work is hellish beyond all reasonable levels. *sigh* ok I think my rant is over.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironmeg said:

So for those following along, apparently this is actually a challenge of how well can Meagan keep her shit together while life just throws everything at her. Here has been my last few weeks.

About 3 weeks ago, the fiance and I finally found our honeymoon and had the money saved up for it. About 3k trip to Ireland and scottland. Yay! (Super excited about this, but it's expensive, what could go wrong?)

Less than a week later, our dryer dies. We did everything we could to fix it but just had to buy a new set. There goes another 1.5k.

This morning I wake up, and Eric asks me if I left the garden watering system on because water pressure is really low. I did not. Walk into the garage, it's practically flooded. The water heater is leaking. So I write to you as I sit in the parking lot of my bank waiting for it to open so I can take out the 800 dollars to pay for a new one >

On top of all that, work is hellish beyond all reasonable levels. *sigh* ok I think my rant is over.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When it rains, it pours :(

I can relate all too well to the work being hellish.  Keep your chin up!  Almost the weekend.  Hope you find a moment to destress and that things get better.  Hopefully the challenge is helping with some sense of control at least?  

Good luck with everything that's going on!

• Like 1