When last I wrote, I had been struck down by the influenza virus, that curse of our Midwestern dwelling. For days my running schedule was despaired of, and when at last I came to myself and became convalescent, I was so whingy and restless that a board of my peers determined that not a day should be lost in sending me back to training. I was dispatched, accordingly, with team Altair in the walk for Multiple Sclerosis and a day later was in possession of a plan, with my miles irretrievably ruined, but with permission from a motherly figure, to spend the next 5 months recovering them.

I had neither kith nor kin in the running community, and was therefore as free as air—or as free as an income of a post-grad with student loans will permit a runner to be. Under such circumstances, I naturally gravitated to OCRs, that great cesspool into which all the rangers and scouts of the Rebellion are irresistibly drained. It is here that I am now, writing my current challenge. I have penned a mud run and an inflatable obstacle course run into my diary which will test both endurance and mental fortitude. But I am up for the challenge. Apparently, it will take a while to adjust to the running life, and "writing a blog about everything that happens to you will honestly help", which is where you come in. You see, you are here to follow my adventures, and the game, my friends, is on.

tumblr_m7un0dCM0a1qcd9m7.gif

• Like 4

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

tumblr_mx06or240a1rzik3go1_500.gif

I'm back and maybe not quite to the point where I was before but definitely ready to get back on the road to put the miles on. I actually almost posted this one in the Scout forum, but am going to spend this month doing just as much body weight (hopefully) as running which means I still belong for a bit. 

I know I'm usually one for the Marvel themes, but I needed a break from the drama going on on that side of the world and decided to dip my toes in on the other side of the pond. I've been a long time fan of Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson, but haven't done a challenge related to them yet, so we'll see how it goes. I'm excited. 

Summer goals 2k16:

September - Half Marathon

October - LSAT with a score of 178 or higher

Challenge Goals:

The Great Game: RUN

A mysterious mastermind is finally providing interesting cases - this should be fun. Oh - and there are bombs strapped to innocent people around London. 3 Runs (or intense cardio) a week based on the Hal Higdon Half marathon training plan.

The Blind Banker: STRENGTH

Fighting Chinese assassins and climbing balconies is a great way to become more in shape for future escapades. 2 Strength workouts per week.

A Study in Pink: STUDY

Logic games and logic puzzles get easier with practice. A perfect score on the LSAT is perfectly reasonable with the right commitment. 4 days of studying per week. Practicing the violin on the days (3) I'm not studying will help as well. 

spocklock01-is-spock-a-descendant-of-she

tumblr_noabwejFAn1u8jlkfo1_500.gif

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Ms. Pond is back on her feet! I am on your team as always.

I am interested in OCR talk. I have been too intimidated to try one so far.

I've never even ran in an official 5k and now I'm registered for two OCRs so we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely nervous but incredibly excited!

5 minutes ago, tei_ said:

LOL i got so excited I accidentally pressed post before I had finished my post. Just needed to drop some Brett up in here:

tumblr_inline_o3j28jeeBS1s2tvnh_500.gif 

(I'm pretty sure that's his "I'M INTO THIS" look.)

Hahaha. Love this! :D

• Like 1

First run of week zero out of the way! It was short and easy because I'm just getting over a pretty pneumatic cough from the past couple weeks and didn't want to jump in too hard. I did 5/1 run/walk intervals for 30 minutes at an easy pace. Had to keep telling myself to slow down actually so that's pretty good! :) 

Spring kind of sprung while I was stuck sick indoors. I passed so many trees in bloom that smelled wonderful and there are bunnies afoot and baby goslings everywhere. All in all it was a great start to the week. 

• Like 2

Today's busy busy busy. I got my violin lesson which I'm nervous for because I only picked it up once in the last week - oops. 

tumblr_lwmp5u3Byu1r5d23ko1_500.gif

Then I'm going to run 3 miles based on my training schedule. (I'm still gonna stick with the 5/1 split for week 0 or until my cough is completely gone. Hopefully, I'll be back to straight running soon but I don't want to cut into my training time any more than I already have.) 

tumblr_m8twxb1H1K1rcoslco6_r1_250.gif

Then, I need to take an LSAT diagnostic test - although I might put that off until later this week so that it is more reflective of my actual capability as opposed to after a full day of work and hobby time. 

sherlock-gifsherlock-quotesjohn-watson.g

• Like 1

Record Keeping Post!

I'm going to keep track of the number of workouts I'm doing during the weeks on this post so that you guys can keep me accountable when I'm slacking on a specific goal. Seriously, don't hold back.

.3.gif

Week 0 (May 2nd - May 8 {AKA; My Birthday!!}):

Cardio: 4/3

Strength: 1/2

LSAT Study: 1/4

Violin Practice: 3/3

555 Challenge: 2/4

Week 1:

Runs: 1/3

Strength: 0/2

LSAT Study: 0/4

Violin Practice: 1/3

555 Challenge: 2/5

Week 2:

LSAT Study: 0/2

555 Challenge: 2/5

Week 3:

LSAT Study: 0/2

Week 4:

Runs: 3/3

Strength: 1/2

LSAT Study: 2/2

(Let's hope the edit feature stays working.)

• Like 2

You guys - I have zero abs. There is no existing core strength to me whatsoever. This is sad. 

Unfortunately, chasing after bad guys and climbing up balconies requires that core strength or else I would forget it, but I can't. So I did the Darebee ab workout challenge today and wanted to cry. 

It seemed easy enough at first. And then it didn't. How can 20 minutes make me want to die? It didn't even feel long enough to count as a workout and I still know I'm going to feel it. :'(

Violin lesson went really well. My instructor is hilarious and keeps telling me I'm the best beginner she's ever taught and wants me to audition for the Chicago or Detroit orchestra one day. I'll just be happy if I can play Christmas music for my family at some point in the future. 

Decided against taking the diag LSAT tonight. I'll do it after my run tomorrow (which I was too lazy to do today hence the ab work instead).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

When you have eliminated the impossible, all that remains is to do some effing planks.

(My guitar teacher never said anything to encourage the belief that I should audition anywhere. He was very polite about it though.)

Some effing planks is right. I need to get back to my plank challenge but make it more realistic this time. You would think adding 5 sec a day would be easy, but my form kept breaking down towards the end. 

(To be fair - her beginners probably don't know how to read music and I've been playing a musical instrument of some sort for the last 21 years which puts me at an advantage.) :D 

• Like 1

I'm incorporating ab/chest/back work every day now. I'm calling it the 555 challenge. 5 minutes of planks (Any type/kind) each day and 25 pushups (sets of 5) each day and 25 scapula pulls (sets of 5). Hoping the GTG method will help a bit. This won't replace actual workouts but rather will be a supplement. These are goals:

hqdefault.jpg

(Thanks @RogueLibrarian)

But, you know, the female version.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I had not heard of the GTG principle; googling it now. I'll be interested to hear whether you think it's a helpful idea this month.

5 hours ago, Kunmaar said:

I learn something new here everyday. I googled gtg and apparently it stands for "Greasing the Groove." I'm curious to see how it will turn out for you.

I'll definitely keep you guys updated! :)

• Like 2

Went on a run in the pouring rain and it was one of those runs where I wanted to do nothing with working out before I got out the door but by the end of it I was thinking of how much I loved running (before the run was even over!). I normally feel really self conscious running with cars passing by me but today I felt super badass (except for the part where I altered my route to avoid passing by some parent Geese with their babies). I came home soaked but very, very happy. 

It was a full 5k today and the first part included sprints and higher than average speed because I was beta-ing the new fit for battle running app. It was definitely an interesting experience and not what I was expecting at all. I'm not usually one for speed work and my first mile definitely had a lot more walk breaks in it post-sprints but I know it was beneficial in the long run. 

Finished my first 555 challenge today. It will definitely be a challenge as its a lot more than I thought it would be. I need to make sure to time my sets correctly throughout the day so I don't get stuck doing all of them before bed. Hopefully it'll get easier as the challenge moves forward. 

I love running.

• Like 4

What a great start! I get you being self conscious (headphones are your friend!) that's why I always exercise at home. And trust me, it's best to avoid animals with babies. I think that part is pretty basass imo, because you weren't just protecting yourself, but also being thoughtful towards those Geese :) I wish I could see one some day.

6 hours ago, Kunmaar said:

What a great start! I get you being self conscious (headphones are your friend!) that's why I always exercise at home. And trust me, it's best to avoid animals with babies. I think that part is pretty basass imo, because you weren't just protecting yourself, but also being thoughtful towards those Geese :) I wish I could see one some day.

Thanks!! And yes, headphones are my bestest of friends (although sometimes its nice to just listen to the sound of nature when I'm in a park or something too!). Agreed about the baby animals - I've seen geese threaten people before so I was just gonna avoid that thank you very much. Does your area of the world not have Geese? I will honestly admit they are more of a nuisance than a blessing but the babies are adorable! And they can be amusing if you take the time to observe. 

• Like 1