2 hours ago, Grayspeed said:

Have you tried reading,  listening to music, or watching TV to distract you during planks? 

I have. Makes it a little more bearable! :) I just don't like ab work because I don't have a strong core. Basically - I'm whining. 

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

4 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Oh man - the back and hip pain is real today guys. Like, literally doubling over in pain due to spasms but they only happen when I've been sitting down or just after. Moving, running, stairs, squats, etc are all fine with full rom but I just can't sit still. One of my coworkers even noticed it and I've ended up moving to a standing desk for the rest of the day to simply try and get stuff done. I'm waiting for confirmation on a Doc appt to see what is going on but ugh. I don't have time for this.

/rant and thanks for listening!

That is no good! I hope it eases up soon. 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Oh shit, that's not good. Don't run until you figure out what's going on!*

*I am not a doctor and this might be the opposite of what you should do maybe you should run continuously but that seems pretty improbable but again I'm just guessing

Why do I feel like this is a way to get me to stop beating you in the challenge. 

tumblr_lzr683aTQm1rpth8io1_400.gif

• Like 1

555 Challenge completed yesterday sans planks because I'm wondering if that is contributing to my back pain and am going to wait for doc confirmation to keep going.

I have a work team dinner tonight because our French team member is in the States so we are being social or something. (I like my coworkers but I spend enough time with them during the day and I'm not really thrilled about wasting time to go out to dinner as well - I'm being crabby.) What this means for me is no run tonight but I might be able to fit in a strength workout depending on how late the night goes and how much food I eat (here's to hoping they have something light and vegetarian at the restaurant). 

I did wake up this morning and do 15 minutes of yoga for my back and hips and it felt really good! Need to make it a habit. I'm not sure if the relief from stretching will last but I have my TENS unit with me (seriously the best material object I own, it is a life saver) and hope that will help because there will be a lot of sitting today. :(

Goals and schedule for the rest of the week because I am falling behind:

Wednesday (Today): Strength workout AND/OR study for LSAT and Practice violin after work dinner.

Thursday: Spin Class, Practice Violin and Study LSAT

Friday: Strength Workout in morning before work

Saturday: Run in morning (visiting with mother, brother, and nephew so this will be a boss challenge. I'll have to do it early in the morning.)

Sunday: If no Strength on Wed, then strength workout in morning. If no study or practice on Wednesday then study on Sunday. (Will not have violin with me so no violin practice.)

What that gets me for the week: 3 cardio sessions, 2 practice violin sessions, 2 LSAT studies, and 2 strength workouts. It isn't ideal and it will be busy but it is doable and what I get for putting stuff off earlier this week. Even if I do everything above, I'll still be down on my goals so I'm not thrilled. Even so - it means that I've picked things that are relatively challenging but doable (as week zero showed me). 

...okay+%2528john%2529.gif

Let's do this.

2 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Btw, do you know how hard it was to find a Sherlock & Adler gif that's not smutty? Even the ones that aren't smutty are smutty.

Ahahaha. That's actually really funny. But it ended with you finding the perfect one so kudos. 

• Like 1

I ended up walking around a mall for about an hour yesterday after dinner let out so I guess that counts as easy cardio? Not enough to count against my goals but it was something nonetheless (and I was being social which is good for me). I did get violin practice done but no LSAT or strength. I have a huge webinar I am running today that my presenters didn't get stuff in to me early enough for so it was a very early day in the office for me and an early bed time the night before. 

I was going to go to spin today but I canceled it so that I could run outside as it is gorgeous and I don't want to waste time in a sweaty gym when I could be enjoying the sun! 

Heat and wearing a back brace last night helped a lot with the pain as well as stretching so it is looking better and better for me! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

I was going to go to spin today but I canceled it so that I could run outside as it is gorgeous and I don't want to waste time in a sweaty gym when I could be enjoying the sun! 

Our rain broke for a few hours yesterday so I was able to get out for a run. I just have no patience for indoor exercise lately!

"We can be heroes"

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Our rain broke for a few hours yesterday so I was able to get out for a run. I just have no patience for indoor exercise lately!

Right? And being up north I have to take advantage of all the sun I can while it is here! :)

So... yesterday was a looooong day at work with a lot of things that didn't go right and left me exhausted and wanting to down a beer and go to sleep. Luckily, I didn't let my hind-brain win and went on a run (with a new route!). GUESS WHO ENDED UP PR'ING HER 5K????? Okay - short term, since I restarted running PR, but at least it is coming back to me!! Anyway - it felt great and I enjoyed being outside in the sun and I love running. 

Today, I'm in work for awhile and then I'm headed home (again - I really don't like where I currently live, can you tell?) and get to visit with the mini assassin (4 yo nephew), brother, and mother. It should be a good time as I love spending time with the Kiddo. 

I've resigned to not making my goals this week. LSAT studying just isn't happening and body weight workouts are a lot less fun than running. What is good though, is that I am learning my bench marks for things for the next challenge. Clearly, I enjoy running - so next challenge I can incorporate a more specific goal detailed there. I've also learned that doing the 555 challenge on top of trying to do bodyweight stuff doesn't work because DOMS. Maybe I could add lunges or squats to the 555 challenge and use that as my strength workout until after my half? 

I'm going to keep working on meeting the goals I've set myself for this challenge (and, you know, trying to stop Moriarty from blowing people up), but I'm not going to get upset if I don't meet them. Instead, I'm going to use this as a learning experience in order to develop a more realistic challenge for myself next round (if you've been with me for awhile, this is clearly something I struggle with). 

It's only half way through though, so I've not lost yet...

tumblr_nxgwjtFYxj1ukws4to1_500.gif

^^^Thanks bro.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Mmmm yes. I understand your pain - it was a scorcher here. I think it even got higher than 70 degrees. Intolerable. 

I don't know what these words mean together.

Great job on the PR! And don't fret (as you're clearly not) about not hitting every goal. They're targets. If we miss, we try again and maybe we move the target as we figure out what works. You're still going to kick my ass in the mini.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Another Monday means Week 3!

This weekend was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. When I got home on Friday I took the Lana-dog for a walk. Saturday we spent 4 hours golfing. Sunday we did tons of lawn work and went for another walk with the 4 year old and pup. It was so relaxing (even if hanging out with a 4 year old is exhausting and makes me scared to be a mother). 

I did a 4 hour commute into work this morning since I try to avoid the Sunday night migration south and just leave early Monday morning. With everything over the weekend and the extra early wake up call I'm kind of feeling: 

tumblr_lttfwqI2VH1qht847.gif

I'm going to try and learn from the past couple of weeks and get stuff done earlier than later. 

I'll try and get a run in today depending on when I get out of work, but I'll also try and keep it short. Usually when I say it is only going to be a short one I'll end up running way more than I planned. I'll also need to practice the violin as I haven't done as much as I would like in the past couple weeks and need to catch up before my lesson tomorrow AND I need to put away the laundry I did for "free" at my mother's place. 

Mission Objectives for today:

Work until 6ish

Run (change at work and go to park to run to reduce risk of not going)

Practice violin for AT LEAST 30 min

Put away clothes

Sleep

Tomorrow:

Work 7:30a-5p

Violin Lesson 5:30-6pm

Strength Workout 7-8pm

Study LSAT 8-9pm

Sleep

• Like 3

So yesterday I was so tired when I was done with work that I intentionally gave myself the day off of running. After looking at everything I did over the weekend, I don't even feel bad about it. 

Instead, I ate a healthy pizza, read my Ninja Handbook (not kidding), and practiced the violin before having a very early bed time. And I am pretty sure it was the right decision because I was able to wake up really early for work, I feel awake and productive and much better than I think I would have if I had forced myself to run through exhaustion. 

Tonight I might do an easy run and then double up on a strength workout and see how that feels. I know @RogueLibrarian has done a few like that and has been successful so I'll try it out! Got to get those points in for the mini!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

Tonight I might do an easy run and then double up on a strength workout and see how that feels. I know @RogueLibrarian has done a few like that and has been successful so I'll try it out! Got to get those points in for the mini!

Those have been tough days, and I'm still trying both ways (same day or alternating days) to see what works best for me -- but it sounds like you're primed for it today. Go rock it.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

So yesterday I was so tired when I was done with work that I intentionally gave myself the day off of running. After looking at everything I did over the weekend, I don't even feel bad about it. 

Instead, I ate a healthy pizza, read my Ninja Handbook (not kidding), and practiced the violin before having a very early bed time. And I am pretty sure it was the right decision because I was able to wake up really early for work, I feel awake and productive and much better than I think I would have if I had forced myself to run through exhaustion. 

This might sound stupid, but what's a Ninja Handbook? :D

• Like 1

I am officially canceling my 555 challenge. I took on way too much this challenge (surprise, surprise) and I needed to back off on something. It isn't that I don't have the time to do it, I just don't have the mental energy to do it. I'd rather focus on actually accomplishing strength workouts and then maybe phase a GTG thing back in when I am regularly doing runs and strength together. 

Tonight's workout is going to be tough. It is supposed to be in the 80s until well after dark and I do not do well in the heat. My run might turn into a walk and I'll keep my AC on for when I get home from to make it palatable to do strength. Ooooor, I might wimp out again and do it in the morning now that I'm 2 for 2 at waking up by 6. 

Any tips for running/working out in the heat? I suppose I could go to my gym where I've paid the dues for the last 5 months but haven't gone... but I don't wanna.

• Like 2

My only suggestion is to bring water with you, other than that I got nothing. :( 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!