• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stepping_out

[] turns into a prepper

I am declaring a state of emergency. Life is doing that thing where it keeps coming up with new stuff that needs to be taken care of, so a sharp focus and preparedness are key. Keeping things simple this round. Don't be a zombie, don't be a Polly!!!

1) Everyday carry: Be ready for action.

This round will be more about maintaining my strength and working on form than chasing new maxes. I'm "between gyms" at the moment, so used my 10secs of courage to get in touch with the local powerlifting club to see if I can train with them for a while. First session tomorrow, plus I've talked to my coach about modifying the programme a little so I can do a few of the sessions at home, aka in the bunker. I also need to make sure I stay injury free, the niggles are cropping up.

• Do the programme. Adjust as necessary.
  • 'Deskbound' 14 day challenge, followed by a more tailored mobility programme.

2) Pimp my bug-out location

We should exchange on our house tomorrow, with completion in a week. That'll mean lots of time spent there to make the place habitable (okay, it is habitable, but I want better wallpaper), and shopping for dishwashers and such. It's all great, but also hugely stressful.

• Spend at least one day at the weekend packing, moving or decorating.
  • Don't fight with bae (giving myself 3 G.O.O.D. cards on this one).

3) Alpha strategy: Stockpile food.

Longer term, I want to move down a weight class (or three) to be more competitive. I've mostly practiced intuitive eating for a while, and that really helped me mentally. However, powerlifting makes me very very hungry. I've been worried about eating less because I didn't want to lose my gainz. After reading lots of stuff, and seeing quite a few good lifters having success with it, I've decided to give the Renaissance Periodisation thing a go. Have done a few days on the 'base' level to get used to eating this way, and am about to move to 'cut 1' - there being three levels of cuts, each more unpleasant than the previous one. Even though I've been hungry, I've felt okay about that because having the plan gave me some reassurance that strength wouldn't be affected.

• Stick to the template; priority is overall macros, meal timing is level 2.
  • Be cool about slip ups because they are inevitable.
  • Meal prep, because otherwise, this isn't workable for me. Sunday & Wednesday, but might change this.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

Hello!

Curious to know more about this Renaissance periodization thing you speak of....

So second! Also, here!

• Like 1

It's a public holiday here today, enabling me to start my food prep challenge. First up, a whole boatload of fennel, kale and beautiful purple sprouting broccoli.

mgL57crm.jpg

This got packed with some crockpot southern spiced chicken and rice in my snazzy new meal prepper boxes. I even portioned out the rice and chicken using my food scale. Serious business.

ONAYbvwm.jpg

Turns out a boatload of veggies lasts for four meals! My plan has me eating a cup of veggies with each meal, but frankly, I'm not going to limit my veggies of all things. I made 8 chicken breasts, so that'll last me a fair old while. Will have to up my meal prep game and make more veggies next time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Hello!

Curious to know more about this Renaissance periodization thing you speak of....

8 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So second! Also, here!

This is the website, hope this is how you link in the new forums!! http://renaissanceperiodization.com/

After getting some advice from @Heather D. who uses them, I bought their "auto templates" (I had read the e-book before). It seems that lots of high level weightlifters use this, and have heard good things from powerlifters as well. Basically, the principles are:

• Sufficient protein to protect muscle mass
  • Few carbs and slow carbs
  • Less fat the closer you are to a workout, more carbs the closer you are to a workout
  • Extra (fast) carbs around workouts with a protein shake to strategically spike insulin
  • As you get deeper into the cut, first cut fat, then cut carbs (whelp!)

For me, that means 4 meals a day with lean protein, a carb source, a cup of vegetables and a little bit of fat. Then, a protein & carb shake during / after workout, and another protein shake before bed.

I like that the templates just tell me what to eat. There is a bit of shuffling around of the carbs, but the protein, veg and fat are the same for me in every meal right now, which makes it quite easy to prep. Will be interesting to see how it goes!

• Like 5

So far, so good! Just exchanged contracts, thinking very little can go wrong now. Plus went to the PL club and got a nice little PB (135 for 3, with depth under close scrutiny by the regulars). The obvious move is to ditch the diet and go for drinks tonight, but I picked a place that has steak and veg options - compromise is what I'm all about! AND the sun is shining. Great day all 'round.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, evabo said:

This is the website, hope this is how you link in the new forums!! http://renaissanceperiodization.com/

After getting some advice from @Heather D. who uses them, I bought their "auto templates" (I had read the e-book before). It seems that lots of high level weightlifters use this, and have heard good things from powerlifters as well. Basically, the principles are:

• Sufficient protein to protect muscle mass
  • Few carbs and slow carbs
  • Less fat the closer you are to a workout, more carbs the closer you are to a workout
  • Extra (fast) carbs around workouts with a protein shake to strategically spike insulin
  • As you get deeper into the cut, first cut fat, then cut carbs (whelp!)

For me, that means 4 meals a day with lean protein, a carb source, a cup of vegetables and a little bit of fat. Then, a protein & carb shake during / after workout, and another protein shake before bed.

I like that the templates just tell me what to eat. There is a bit of shuffling around of the carbs, but the protein, veg and fat are the same for me in every meal right now, which makes it quite easy to prep. Will be interesting to see how it goes!

Typed out a comment and doesn't look like it sent so apologies for potential double post.

What is their recommendation for protein? I've seen anywhere from 0.6g/kg up to more than 2.0 g/kg

On 02/05/2016 at 0:44 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

kind of intimidating!

I feel like I've misrepresented it if that's how it comes across, it's easy with the template because you know exactly what to eat and when. I probably just didn't describe it well!

13 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

What is their recommendation for protein? I've seen anywhere from 0.6g/kg up to more than 2.0 g/kg

They are going with 0.8-1.0g per lbs for someone training for strength.

• Like 1

I'll be really interested to see how you get on. I'm terrible for being resistant to being told what to eat but sometimes I do consider doing something just to see how I react.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, evabo said:

I feel like I've misrepresented it if that's how it comes across, it's easy with the template because you know exactly what to eat and when. I probably just didn't describe it well!

It' not you, it's me ;) I has the spreadsheet vertigo

• Like 1

So far, so good. Improvising my workouts a bit at the moment and did an all-accessories session at home. Tomorrow, I'm going back to the powerlifting club for some bench & deadlifts. Exciting times.

Stuck to the templates today, mind you this wasn't too hard because I was still full from our rather epic celebratory dinner and wine extravaganza at a Belgian (!) place last night. Those Belgians, who knew. I say I stuck to the templates, but really I shuffled things around a bit to make most meals the same = easier for me to manage. I also had some extra chicken instead of a protein shake before bed because I can't tolerate casein anyway, and figure chicken is a slow digesting protein. Ish. I feel like this level of detail is probably quite boring!

Anyhow, this was my dinner and post-workout meal:

skrDWAtm.jpg

Veggies, more random veggies, black beans, chicken, slice of bread and 1/2 avocado. I ended up leaving half the veggies because I was too stuffed.

Not super sure because I don't like stepping on the scale too often and I don't do measurements, but I think things are already starting to move in the desired direction. I bought myself a new fancy lifting belt a size down from my current belt (and much much better quality), and couldn't even get the buckle into the holes. Today, I totally got them in. Then I struggled with getting them back out, because the belt isn't broken in yet, and thought I was going to die like that, but let's focus on the positives here! It's probably just un-bloating, but I feel like breaking it in in time for my next meet (July) is a distinct possibility. Now if I could manage to get there while NOT obsessing about my weight or my body and fall into weird ED behaviours, that would be great. So far, I think I'm doing okay.

• Like 1

All the feels today. While I was at the gym, very casually benching my previous max AFTER having already run up to a top set, back down, and all the way up again, and then pulling 3 beltless singles at my competition max (and also experiencing my first deadlift fart, just for completeness sake), I got word that we won a reasonably big contract at work. AND the sun is shining. I'm working from home today so making iced coffee and heading outside with the laptop. Sparkles. Unicorns!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, evabo said:

All the feels today. While I was at the gym, very casually benching my previous max AFTER having already run up to a top set, back down, and all the way up again, and then pulling 3 beltless singles at my competition max (and also experiencing my first deadlift fart, just for completeness sake), I got word that we won a reasonably big contract at work. AND the sun is shining. I'm working from home today so making iced coffee and heading outside with the laptop. Sparkles. Unicorns!

That is a genuinely epic day! :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, evabo said:

YAESSSS!!!!

0Mtb5fn.gif

(deadlift fart. lol)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

BEST DAY EVER!!!!

It totally was! Went went out to celebrate (second time this week) with wine and foods and it was amazing.

DxzubTnm.jpg

Bordeaux vs Burgundy, I think we're pretty committed to team Burgundy at the moment.

Before all that, I had a good day food-wise. Here's my post-workout meal, some pork with broccoli, mushrooms and Cesar's dressing. Yumm! (For carbs, I had a Trek bar. Winning!)

wyCJdxhm.jpg

• Like 6

Great lunch today:

bpWuUWem.jpg

Sprouted grain tortilla (I looooove the sprouted grain stuff, no digestive issues), refried beans, pork, salsa, avocado and lettuce and yes, I did forget that I'd probably want to roll it up so just kept piling things on :applause:

Other than that, it was a rest day and terribly boring.

• Like 5