NightWatcher13 - NW removes toxic influences

Was debating on visiting the rangers this round, but I think the Assassins still fit what my end goals here are, especially since I want to work more on the bodyweight training that I've been struggling to keep up (in large part due to stress)

I ramped up most of last month for a Whole 30, which I started today, and so far it's off to a rocky start, as I completely forgot to make breakfast ahead of time last night so I wouldn't have to worry about it this morning (had to get up "early", by my night-shift habits, to help out with some gardening.) Thankfully my lovely friend/adoptive mother 2.0 made me some eggs to go with the fruit I'd shoved in my face running out the door. She just got done with a Whole 30 last month, so she totally gets it ;) Other than that, made a venison stir-fry this afternoon with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onion, which tastes like a shepherd's pie. Nom :D

The other reason I named this challenge what I did is that my roommate (the one who was using her window as a door, and who hadn't been paying her rent the last several months, along with other tendencies that have been an absolute blast to live with) is getting evicted; I'm hoping she'll be out by the end of the week and I can actually go about getting things done with a lot less stress in my life; it'll be a very tight budget, especially while I'm waiting to find out if I get hired in at work (2 months later, still waiting on interview #2... *sigh*) but even so I'm honestly looking forward to having her out of the apartment, I'll definitely feel a lot safer.

I'll hop on here later to put my challenge sections up, since break's over for now.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Cool that your friend just finished WHole30 and is a good support for you.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 5/2/2016 at 7:36 PM, NightWatcher13 said:

my roommate is getting evicted

About damn time. 

On 5/2/2016 at 7:36 PM, NightWatcher13 said:

I'll hop on here later to put my challenge sections up

Looking forward to see what you'll be doing.  :)

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 5/3/2016 at 8:46 PM, Elastigirl said:

Cool that your friend just finished WHole30 and is a good support for you.

She's a pretty awesome person :) Mom of 6 who also takes care of a few of us young adults at times. She also doesn't take bullcrap lol, she lets her hubby deal with that bit

9 hours ago, Hazard said:

About damn time. 

Looking forward to see what you'll be doing.  :)

Oh, so far beyond time, but I'm glad. So far it seems like she's going to leave without a fight, which makes life much easier on me and the new landlord as well as her. I'll be overjoyed to see the back of her. She already removed her dog, which partly makes me sad (he's a good puppy, it's not his fault she can't train a dog for crap and neglects him) but it's a good indicator that she's not going to kick up a fuss. I have a friend from church who's offered to be here tomorrow while I'm at work; he's a sweetheart but looks like a tough guy (tats, works out) so that should help a lot to make sure she doesn't take anything that isn't hers.

Time to actually put down challenge details:

Main Quest - Reclaiming my health bar

Side-quest 1 - Whole 30, starting on May 2nd going through May 31st. Pretty self explanatory here, I'm not going to even try to give myself rules beyond the ones in the program, 'cause the program is pretty strict as is and my diet has really sucked the past couple of months with all of the fast food. It's a system hard-reboot that's a bit overdue.

Side-quest 2 - Run a 5k; I'm far enough into my couch to 5k program that if I don't miss weeks I should be able to run the full 5k before the end of this challenge. So run 3x/week, ending in the 5k. After that, if I finish before the end of the challenge I'll go down to 2 runs/week, I just want to keep the endurance from it.

Side-quest 3 - Strength. Body weight workouts 3x/week, each actually recorded on here.

Life - Chilling out a bit on this one since the last few months have been insane between the hiring-in process with my job and a fun roommate, but I do want to get my resume shined up and sent out to a few places in town by the end of the challenge.

So far, Whole 30 is a ton of fun... I was already having cravings yesterday. In fairness, I was also at a group where someone had brought in chocolate-covered pretzels (thankfully they understood when I told them I was restricted for the next month) 

• Like 5

OK, quick fill-in:

Week 1 workouts (so far)

Mon: pull: 6/6/5

lunge: 12/10/x

push: 7/6/6

squat: 8/8/x

no pilates (too sore)

Tue: "rest" day

Wed: Zombies, Run! 5k, week 4 1/3

Thu: Pull: 6/6/6

lunge: 10/10/8

push: 6/6/5

squat: 7/7/7

adjusted pilates

I think I pulled something by jumping in too enthusiastically Monday, hence the missing sets of lower body and the rest day Tuesday. I also corrected my form a bit on the knee pushups, so I got fewer reps today but I think they'll do more good in the long run. The pull-ups are chair assisted for now. 

Whole 30 is going well so far, though I'm definitely at the point where I'm ready for it to be done already lol. Days 10/11 apparently do that across the board.

The eviction was fairly uneventful, though she left a HUUUUUUUGE mess in her room and the basement, but at least she's finally gone. Locks were changed last Friday, and I've been getting a lot of cleaning done around everything else going on. She didn't take her bed (one of my friends with a truck even offered to take it where she was moving for her) so now I have a guest room/study/office. 

2nd interview for work to get hired in was yesterday at 3, and I managed to show up late @.@ I was not happy with myself over that, but I think overall the interview went well. I should find out next week if I get hired in or not. If I do, I doubt I'll take another roommate anytime soon.

• Like 2

Week 1:

Fri: Zombies, Run! 5k, week 4 2/3

Gardened with my adopted aunt and some of her kids :) Lots of planting (and lots of silliness) got done, then I went home to mow and do my run, and forgot to put on sunscreen so I may have gotten a slight burn from all of the outside time, but thankfully I haven't turned into a lobster.

Whole 30 is still going well, energy levels seem to be back up from the slump of not getting as many carbs, but definitely really, really want a caramel latte right now... along with peanut butter for my banana, this almond butter isn't quite cutting it; idk if it's cause it's chunky or what :ambivalence:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Waanie said:

Your challenge looks cool, I'll be following along :). It seems like you're doing quite well this week, keep it up! 

How are you feeling now you're halfway done the Whole 30? Are you getting used to it? 

Amyway, have a fun week 2!

*tackle glomps the Waanie* Long time no see! Whole 30 is going well, with a lot of good cooking coming out of the fact that I have to be more creative with my ingredients right now.

Week 1 

Sat - lazy all day

Sun - busy (most of) the day, too lazy to work out :/ 

I wouldn't have gotten to run either day, but I did have opportunities to do strength and even had my workout clothes on, I just let myself get distracted and didn't get it done before I had to leave.

Whole 30 is still on a roll though, so that's a huge plus. Guest bed now has pillows and sheets, and the apartment has gone from looking like a hurricane blew through to looking lived in, which is a huge step up.

Now just biting my nails waiting to find out if I got hired in, or if I need to start a job hunt (not to be confused with the career hunt I need the resume for) so I can make sure ends meet long-term. 

Week 1 Summary:

Whole 30 - check

Runs - 2/3

Strength - 2/3 (only 1 pilates)

Week 2

Monday - Zombies, Run! 5k week 4 3/3

It's odd to have the weeks discombobulated, but it'll actually mean that the 5k at the end will be on a Monday after a weekend of running rest, so that may actually be a plus

• Like 3

Getting more creative with ingredients is often nice :). I have a few recipe websites on which I just enter one or two ingredients, and then get healthy and tasty options. Especially the carrots can be hard to be creative with, in my opinion ;).

I'm glad your Whole 30 is going well, it always surprises me how much influence food can have on your mood and energy levels. Especially a lack of fibre always makes me grumpy ;)

Good luck with the job application!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Waanie said:

Getting more creative with ingredients is often nice :). I have a few recipe websites on which I just enter one or two ingredients, and then get healthy and tasty options. Especially the carrots can be hard to be creative with, in my opinion ;).

I'm glad your Whole 30 is going well, it always surprises me how much influence food can have on your mood and energy levels. Especially a lack of fibre always makes me grumpy ;)

Good luck with the job application!

Well... when I say creative, I mean I really, REALLY wanted desert this weekend, so yesterday I chopped up a banana, tossed it into my cast iron skillet, and added ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Which was actually really good surprisingly

This is going to be me on June 1st... just sayin ;) 

• Like 2

Lol they were pretty thorough with the workout there. No, wine through a straw is a no-go :P

Week 2 

Tue - Pull - 7/6/6

Lunge - 10/10/10

Push - 6/6/6

Squat - 8/7/7

script>script>I had lots of help today...

• Like 1

I've tried fried plantains, but not fried bananas.  I'll have to give it a try and see. Great job on the Whole 30 and staying the course!

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

Nice workout :). What kind of push and pull are you doing at the moment?

The pushups are currently on my knees with my hands out slightly wider than my shoulders, the pullups I'm using a foot on a chair to offset my weight by a lot

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I've tried fried plantains, but not fried bananas.  I'll have to give it a try and see. Great job on the Whole 30 and staying the course!

Thanks. The banana was fantastic, Whole 30 seems to be going easier so far this week

• Like 1

Week 2 

Wed - Zombies, Run! 5k, week 5 1/3 - over halfway there! I cut myself really close on time though; I meant to run before I had lunch with my bestie and that didn't work out :/

Had a greens salad with shrimp and mushrooms with my dinner today and yesterday, that may be a habit I'll keep 'cause shrimp + salad = heaven 

• Like 3

Good job on doing the C25K anyway :). That strength workout sounds almost exactly like mine a few years back. I love the chair assisted pull-ups, since you can put as much weight on your feet as you want, and you still make the full movement, in contrast to negatives. When I was training for my first pull-up, I went from chair assisted to full pull-ups without the negatives in between ;).

Fried bananas are great, they are a common Dutch-Indonesian desert. You can also put a banana in tin foil in the oven, adding spices of your choice. Otherwise, home-made applesauce is affordable and tasty (just cook/microwave a skinned and diced apple) and you can do a lot with puréed red fruit. You might find a farm or market that sells strawberries cheaply at the moment, since they are in season. 

• Like 1
On 5/19/2016 at 2:17 AM, Waanie said:

Good job on doing the C25K anyway :). That strength workout sounds almost exactly like mine a few years back. I love the chair assisted pull-ups, since you can put as much weight on your feet as you want, and you still make the full movement, in contrast to negatives. When I was training for my first pull-up, I went from chair assisted to full pull-ups without the negatives in between ;).

Fried bananas are great, they are a common Dutch-Indonesian desert. You can also put a banana in tin foil in the oven, adding spices of your choice. Otherwise, home-made applesauce is affordable and tasty (just cook/microwave a skinned and diced apple) and you can do a lot with puréed red fruit. You might find a farm or market that sells strawberries cheaply at the moment, since they are in season. 

The negatives were really hard on my shoulders too, I think they're part of what re-injured it, so I'm avoiding them. The chair assisted are really nice though, and I feel like I'm getting a good workout without feeling like I'm killing myself.

I knew I couldn't be the first person to decide to stick a banana in a frying pan ;) I have some homemade applesause that Kel helped me make last fall, I may have to play around with it a bit.

Week 2 

Thu - forced "rest" day - between dr apt and needing groceries I didn't have time before work to do a workout :/

Fri - Zombies, Run! 5k, week 5 2/3. All runs in for this week! Plus during my final free-form run, I wanted to see if I could run for 5 min straight - I can! Barely, but at the end of a workout I was pretty happy to be able to do that :D (This is where I run most of the time)

large.573f9ab2eda04_IMG_20160516_134234880(1).jpg

Will need to do a BWW when I get home from work tonight to keep all 3 of those this week, since I can't do one tomorrow AND sunday.

I just got awesome news too; my boss called me and as of June 16th I'll be hired in full-time with benefits and the raise I'll need to be able to afford my apartment without a roommate long-term!!!!!!!! Yes

john-green-happy-dance-o.giftumblr_inline_mt0t95fpm01qz4rgp.gif

• Like 2

Week 2:

Sat - Rest day

Sun - Pull - 7/7/7

Lunge - 12/10/10

Push - 7/7/6

Squat - 8/8/7

Didn't get the strength workout done Friday after work :/ but everything else got in this week, so ya!

Week 2 summary:

Whole 30 - check, and 10 days to go!

Runs - 3/3

Strength - 2/3

• Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 10:21 PM, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the full time job!!

On 5/21/2016 at 1:45 AM, Waanie said:

Congratulations with the job :D! It must feel good to afford your apartment all on your own :).

Thanks guys :D yes, it's a huge relief. And the health insurance is something I've needed for a long time, my poor glasses have been broken for months (epoxy is my friend) and are overdue by about 5 years for a new prescription at any rate :)

• Like 2

Great week 2! 

18 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Thanks guys :D yes, it's a huge relief. And the health insurance is something I've needed for a long time, my poor glasses have been broken for months (epoxy is my friend) and are overdue by about 5 years for a new prescription at any rate :)

Sometimes, it's hard to imagine for me what life without health insurance would be. Not even mentioning US healthcare prices on top of it... I'm glad you have health insurance now, and can get new glasses soon :).

• Like 1