• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy, the New Home, and the New Habits

I moved recently! And according to many things I've read, after a big change in your life, such as moving, is the best time to establish new habits.

Main Quest

I have some overall goals. In the short term, I would like to get my house closer to the state I would like to be in, start doing more things for my physical health, and start getting back into more fulfilling leisure activities. In the long term, I want to get physically fit and at a healthy weight. I just turned 25 (like literally today), and I would like to be at a 'normal' weight and get to a good base standard of fitness in either strength or cardiovascular health by my 26th birthday.

The Theme

I'm going to take a more x, less y approach; I'm going to try and do more of a specific healthy behavior that is on the other side of an unhealthy behavior. I will be keeping track of the numbers of times I do each habit in a notebook and will report with the totals at least weekly (I hope), with more general 'how it's going' updates throughout the week.

Fitness Goals

• More Water/Fewer Caloric Drinks
    • Make a mark for every cup.
    • Will be trying to start the day with at least 1 cup of water, along with my vitamins and allergy medicine.
  • More Exercise/Fewer Lazy Days
    • Make a mark for every exercise session. A mark into lazy days for days when I do no exercise.
    • I'll be focusing on trying to lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, run Tuesday and Thursday, and do fun things Saturday and Sunday.
  • More Vegetables/Fewer Grains
    • Make a mark for every cup.

Life Goals

• More Reading Books/Less Browsing Online
    • A mark for every page of a book read or website gone to. Work reading online doesn't count.
    • Since youtube videos take some time, each youtube video gets a mark (unless I'm just using it for background music).
    • Going to really, really try to avoid Reddit, Imgur, and other "could just keep scrolling forever" websites.
  • More Eating in/Less Eating out
    • This goal replaces the unpacking goal.

Grading

Grades will be the percentage of marks that are in the 'good' category. So, if my water/caloric drink total was 65/35, I would get a D for that grade, for example.

Until the 8th will be a prep week!

Edited by Grizzy
Modification of goals
  • Like 2

Happy Birthday! and Congrats on the new place, I hope you really enjoy it there. 

I really like the more x less y way of doing things, I might have to steal that for one of my future challenges. I can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Happy belated birthday! What kind of fun things do you do on the weekends? I'm trying to come up with some fun active things to do on the weekends, and it has been tricky for me.

45 minutes ago, marchantia said:

Happy belated birthday! What kind of fun things do you do on the weekends? I'm trying to come up with some fun active things to do on the weekends, and it has been tricky for me.

I like hula hooping, biking, and hiking primarily, but occasionally I'll do stretching or yoga if I'm feeling really stiff. I'm also kind of tempted to try an aerial silks class, but I feel like with my strength to weight ratio I would be no good at it right now!

Trying to get a feel today for where I'm starting from.

More water and less soda has always been pretty easy for me when I set my mind to it.

I was surprised by how bad my grains to veggies ratio was. I had like, one cup of vegetables as an afterthought with dinner but like six cups of empty carbs.

And I walked a bit today, but didn't go for a run. Still trying to figure out a workout time that will work for me.

• Like 1

I just did a lifting session! Starting back at low weight so I don't pull a muscle, strain something, or pinch a nerve like I have when I've re-started too high in the past.

Mmmm endorphins. I remember now why I do this.

• Like 4

I was a bit lazy today, but I finished off with a 2 mile walk. It turns out, the trail by my new house is beautiful and excellently maintained... I have no excuse not to at least take walks daily, if nothing else!

Been trying to at least cut down on grains & simple carbs since it seems so hard for me to get my vegetables in. We will be getting a stove early next week, so that should help with the nutrition aspect of this challenge.

• Like 1

Sort of forgot yesterday was the start of the challenge and started off a bit on the wrong foot when it comes to diet. Here's what I did:

Water/caloric drinks:1/3

Exercise/lazy day:1/0

Veggies/grains:1/3

Pages read/websites browsed:100/10

Eat in/Eat out:1/1

Edited by Grizzy
Updated with new goal

Today was a good day!

Water/caloric drinks:8/2

Veggies/grains:0/4 (still not really sure how to get my veggies in with my current cooking situation. Stove is coming Wednesday!)

Pages read/websites browsed:50/5

Eat in/Eat out:2/1

• Like 3

Tuesday:

Water/caloric drinks:11/1

Veggies/grains:3/7 (I ate a bunch of pizza and it wasn't even that good... it's my kryptonite)

Pages read/websites browsed:0/10 (yeah, I was out way late and read NOTHING. :( )

Eat in/Eat out:3/0

Wednesday:

Water/caloric drinks:5/1

Veggies/grains:2/2

Pages read/websites browsed:40/5

Eat in/Eat out:3/0

• Like 1

I'm a bit late with my week 1 wrap-up, sorry!

Overall

Water/Caloric Drinks: 43/12 = 78% = C+

Veggies/Grains: 8/22 = 26%= F

Workouts/Lazy Days: 8/0 = 100% = A+

Book pages/Websites: 218/36 = 88% = B+

Eat in/Eat out: 16/3 = 84% = B

Achievements

• Worked out EVERY DAY.
  • Tried Hot Yoga for the first time and LOVED it. Ok, technically that was on Sunday and therefore in week 2. I got a 1-month unlimited classes deal and I'm planning on going at least 2 times per week until the month is out, as this makes it cheaper than the "buying a limited pack of classes" option.
  • Drank more water than I ever have in a week.
  • Ate in most of the time.

To work on this week

• Eat more vegetables; I'm going to focus on trying to get at least one cup a day this week, though I'm discovering that at the moment, having twice as many veggies as grains for a passing grade may be an unrealistic expectation compared to where I am right now.
  • I'm going to work on cutting down my caloric drink consumption even more. I had 12 last week, this week I'll be trying to cut it down to 1 per day or less, while making at effort to get minimum 5 glasses of water per day EVERY day.
  • Will try to eat out only twice instead of three times this week.

Breakdown

Sunday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 1/3

Veggies/Grains: 1/3

Exercise/Lazy Day: 1/0

Book pages/Websites: 100/10

Eat in/Eat out: 1/1

Monday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 8/2

Veggies/Grains: 0/2

Book pages/Websites: 20/4

Eat in/Eat out: 2/1

Tuesday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 11/2

Veggies/Grains: 3/7

Book pages/Websites: 0/10

Eat in/Eat out: 3/0

Wednesday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 5/1

Veggies/Grains: 2/2

Book pages/Websites: 5/11

Thursday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 7/1

Veggies/Grains: 0/3

Book pages/Websites: 30/5

Friday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 7/2

Exercise/Lazy Day: 2/0

Book pages/Websites: 50/5

Saturday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 4/1

Veggies/Grains: 0/4

Book pages/Websites: 13/0

Eat in/Eat out: 2/0

• Like 1

Week 2 Wrap-Up:

Overall

Water/Caloric Drinks: 58/4 = 93% = A-

Veggies/Grains: 15/16 = 48%= F (But a better F than last time!)

Workouts/Lazy Days: 9/0 = 100% = A+

Book pages/Websites: 61/32 = 65% = D

Eat in/Eat out: 13/5 = 72% = C-

Achievements

• Worked out EVERY DAY.
  • Cut down to 4 caloric drinks
  • Drank even more water
  • Ate more vegetables and fewer grains

To work on this week

• I've started having vegetables with breakfast and lunch, which should bump up my veggie consumption in the next week. I'm hoping to pass this week!
  • I had only 4 caloric drinks in week 2! Trying to cut that down to 0 this week.
  • I really have to try and get into my current book. Not sure if I'm busier this week or just am not making time for it because I'm not into it yet.

Breakdown

Sunday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 12/0

Veggies/Grains: 0/1

Book pages/Websites: 30/2

Monday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 8/1

Veggies/Grains: 0/1

Book pages/Websites: 1/5

Tuesday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 8/0

Veggies/Grains: 3/2

Book pages/Websites: 20/5

Wednesday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 5/0

Veggies/Grains: 3/3

Book pages/Websites: 0/5

Thursday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 7/2

Book pages/Websites: 10/5

Eat in/Eat out: 1/2

Friday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 9/1

Veggies/Grains: 3/2

Book pages/Websites: 0/6

Saturday

Water/Caloric Drinks: 9/0

Veggies/Grains: 2/3

Exercise/Lazy Day: 3/0

Book pages/Websites: 0/5

• Like 1

Week 3 Update!

Not as detailed of an update this time, because I've misplaced my log sheet, but I'll estimate.

Water/Caloric drinks: A win in that I had NO caloric drinks this week! However, I could have had more water. I feel like I've been slacking on water drinking.

Veggies/Grains: I've definitely been getting more veggies. I had a green smoothie every day for breakfast in week 3, and I had salad several times for lunch.

Exercise/Lazy Day: I worked out every day. I've really started zeroing in on the yoga classes and instructors I liked and started doing yoga with Adriene. I've also gotten pretty darn close to previous maxes on lifts, so I'm really hoping I can pass those.

Book pages/Websites: I probably failed this week. I've only read about 100 pages total of books and have spent sooo much time just browsing online.

Eat in/Eat out: I ate out a lot in week 3, but I made good choices!

• Like 4