It's been sort of a whirlwind lately...

large.busy-mage.jpg.7c984d00535f7aa4c868

And I've felt the need to tame the clutter and focus more narrowly.

large.fiery-mage.jpg.399e7d8ae0c316aa597

So, I will be concentrating on the Magician's Path this challenge, 

Instead of running in circles trying to do ALL THE THINGS!

(ALL THE PATHS!)

The Four Paths

The Four Paths - as used in the epic fantasy novel

that I have been writing, lo, these many years -

is a system of training used by the members

of a mysterious order.

The paths are:

Warrior

Scholar

Magician

Healer

Hmmm, sounds kind of like an RPG... :)

I am continuing to use cards from the Tarot for focus

and as visual aids and inspiration for my challenges. 

large.nature-mage.jpg.711755ae95f980faa5

(Toga Party!)

As established last challenge, I am working with the transforming the Fool's energy into that of the Magician. That overlaps nicely with the system of the Four Paths and thus, my challenge title. I like using the Tarot for my challenge themes so far. It helps me focus and to approach things in a more fun and intuitive way. That works well for me, especially since I simply haven't had the time to do the more imaginative gamified things I've wanted to do. I have come up with a multi-challenge sequence that should address all of the major areas I want to improve over the course of the year. It also provides a good framework for gamification and a storyline if I can make the time for that. We shall see. 

I am also continuing my years theme of "planting my stake in the ground" - commitment and persistence being qualities that I see as needed in my life right now.

My Main Goal is to put more MAGIC

YsbKHg1.gif?noredirect

and FUN into my life

1. MAINTAIN average sleep amount of 7 hours per night. IMPROVE the quality of my sleep through a wiser bedtime routine

2. AUTOMATE more of my systems: a revised set of daily routines, a system of modular "kits" for my more mobile lifestyle to help me organize the stuff I need to cart around for work, lessons, working out, and traveling.

3. GROW my creativity, making more time for fun in my life, things like juggling, drawing, Digital Storytellers group, fiddle. 45 minutes minimum per day. 

4. INCREASE my physical fitness - Continue walking, stretching, working on posture. Move more at work - utilize standing desk, do quick bursts of exercise in small breaks to counteract the effects of so much sitting. Add in more bodyweight strength training and increase walking pace.

5. CONTINUE my cyber security training - 2+ half-day visits to the AZCWR (Arizona Cyber Warfare Range) for training; At least six hours of security study and training exercises the other two weeks.

large.levitating-mage.jpg.2c351df7b1844c

The above are a little vague on specific amounts. I plan is to make a spreadsheet with my current baselines and then just aim for hitting the goal numbers for #1 & #3; establish at the beginning of each week what kit I am going to make for #2, go for ~3% increases in mileage, reps, pace as appropriate for #4. #5 is already fairly specific.

A few other goals that I am tracking:

I will lose at least three pounds this challenge.

I will continue my cleaning habits to keep clutter and home chaos at bay.

large.cat-mage.jpg.5461c62cf59b7eb0c4ebf

And of course, cats...

• Like 8

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Following:abnormal:

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I got a little carried away about CactusCon and was going to base most of my challenge on it, but after more consideration am demoting it to a challenge activity, but not the central theme. 

ShadowLion Goes to CactusCon

(What is CactusCon? I'm so glad you asked... :pirate: )

Technomancer Nerd Playground

So this is going to happen a little bit before the challenge officially starts,

but I"m hyped and ready to learn to think like a hacker in order to thwart hackers.

large.cactuscon1.png.27398dbda07d90d2cdf

And help protect my beleagured fellow netizens

large.cactuscon2.jpeg.7a03bb859f87c9e75e

Just look at the toys!

And this all fits in with my plan from last challenge to transform the Fool into the Magician.

• Like 6

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

NERDVANA I AM WAITING TO HEAR ABOUT YOU !!!!!!

• Like 1

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Woah no tarot mentioning in the opening post on SL's thread, and no running goal in Xenas... DARE I EXPLORE ALL THE NEW THREADS FURTHER?! Where even am I?!?!

Can't wait to see what you get up to this challenge SL!

I think I best go see if the bonds holding Fenrir are tight.

• Like 6

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun!!!  I'm finally able to do some coding in my current position and realize how MUCH I missed it.  

What would you recommend as a good resource for starting to develop apps??  I'm thinking long term, but a lot of my learners really could stand to have some ready calculation tools with them in the field.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

2 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Challenge title edited into l33t$p3@k? Me likey

Been hanging around too many h@ck0rs lately. :)

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

And some tarot is back on the cards (yeah I went there) so the impending Ragnarok has been staved off for a bit longer.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 2

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Quick Update - 

I'll fill in more details later.

I went to Cactus Con and learned a whole bunch of nerdy, fun stuff and immediately turned around and headed north to visit my mom for Mother's Day.

We're working overtime to get her site ready for plant season. 

I'm finishing up my writeup for my challenge and it's ...a l m o s t... done. 

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

ShadowLion challenges are always some of my favorites.  Looking forward to following the Four Paths with you!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Really looking forward. :D

The mixture of mysticism/spirituality (for a lack of better term) and geekiness and technology in these is really my cup of cake. More people should be able to reconciliate the two.

• Like 3

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Thanks for your patience! I finally have my challenge topic done, with goals and cards and everything. There was getting to be such a crowd sitting in chairs waiting that I figured I'd better provide a little additional entertainment, as well. :)

As she readied for her shift, ShadowLion listened to her shortwave radio. Old, old technology, surely, but one she enjoyed as a hobby. It also had more than a little practical value when working in the middle of nowhere, tending and defending what remained of “critical infrastructure.”

With the crackle of the small radio in the background, she washed her face in a basin of water. Raz watched her as she then doled out the water to the thirsty baby lettuces, cilantro, and various scraggly herbs in the window planter. 

"No greens for you, Mr. Cat," she said as she scratched around his ears. "You'll get your food soon enough. You know the routine."

There was quite a bit of radio traffic this morning, she noticed, though much of it was unintelligible. Fine-tuning the receiver, she remembered how hard it had been to get clearance to have it. She smiled. One had to learn to work both within, and around, the system. She had friends with influence, and after much waiting and paperwork, Zetaq Corporation had cleared her to have the small device.

She fiddled with the dial and stopped. Morse code. She hadn’t heard that in ages. As she fumbled in the drawer with one hand to retrieve her telegraphy key, with the other she began to write.

• Like 6

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

On 3/5/2016 at 10:13 AM, ShadowLion said:

The Four Paths

The Four Paths - as used in the epic fantasy novel

that I have been writing, lo, these many years -

is a system of training used by the members

of a mysterious order.

The paths are:

Warrior

Scholar

Magician

Healer

Hmmm, sounds kind of like an RPG... :)

Biggest. Smile. Ever

• Like 2

I like what you have done with your challenge.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Great write up.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath