Back with the adventurers!

I've been with the druids for the last challenges while I worked on a mindset shift that has changed many things about how I live my life. The process is still going on, but now that I've grasped the main points, I'm back to focus on movement. There is still a mindset shift goal, but movement retakes its place of honor.

Goal 1: Move all day long

Workouts are great, but sitting in a chair for hours and hours is not. So while I'll keep my regular exercise routines, I'll try to spend less and less time sitting and move in short spans along the day.

• If I'm going to be sitting for a long while, set the timer and stand up every half hour.

• Use mini-movements during these breaks: Feldenkrais, stretching, trigger points, going upstairs and downstairs, going to drink some water, 5 minutes of decluttering, going on a short errand...

• “Big” movement at least 5 times a week: self-defense, IS workout, walks.

Goal 2: Outdoors

Spring is here for sure. So time to get out of the house, as much as possible. Go out there and D-vitaminize yourself!

• Reading and desk work to be done in the patio. Workouts too if it is not too hot.

• Go outside everyday (going to work doesn't count).

• Discover at least 2 new places during the challenge.

Goal 3: Mindset shift

• Meditation. Maintain those 15 minutes 5-7 times a week. Try to reach 20 minutes.

• Apply describing instead of judging. Allow space for feelings and sensations to be felt. Do not fight them or deny them. Anxiety is included here: anxiety is a part of myself and a part of life, so learn from it instead of fighting, ignoring or feeding it.

That's it. No miniquests, side quests, life quests... Just moving, going out and being aware.

Spoiler

Goal 1: move all day long.

2 STR

1 STA

1 DEX

Goal 2: outdoors.

1 CON

1 DEX

1 STA

Goal 3: mindset shift.

2 WIS

1 CHA

• Like 5

The battle must be fought anew every day

Here to follow again and it's great to see you back in the adventurers! :D

9 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Goal 2: Outdoors

Spring is here for sure. So time to get out of the house, as much as possible. Go out there and D-vitaminize yourself!

I would definitely benefit from a goal like this too. Hmmm. Maybe I should add this to my own challenge...?

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Wanted to "rest" this week 0 (keeping my regular activities, but waiting to start the new ones until week 1), but somehow life had different plans.

Monday.

Did my meditation before breakfast and after that I somehow managed to not to sit on a chair until lunch. Worked on the house for a while and then went out to the garden center to buy some new plants.

Tuesday.

Did not meditate, was worried to be late to self-defense (irrational, I was awake at 7:30, how was I going to be late if I had 3 hours? Hello anxiety, I've missed you. No, I'm kidding, I never miss you). The lesson today was great; for the first time there was only one instructor following it, and instead of the usual bunch of instructors there were two beginners. So the teacher explained the very basic moves and we practiced them slowly. Then when working in couples, I was coupled with the instructor who explained me a lot of details of what we were trying to do. These are easy moves I can practice on my own at home because are easy to remember, I'm planning on adding them to my sitting pauses.

(*sitting pauses ----> what about thinking of sitting not as a rest posture but a posture I need to rest from? At least those have been my feelings lately).

When back home I didn't sit and went straight ahead to the patio to work on play with the new plants I bought. I've only taken care of half of them, the rest will have to wait for tomorrow.

I had a little moment of anxiety in the defense class, but instead of rejecting it "because now is not the time, I'm busy here", I stopped and let myself feel anxiety was there. I felt the uncomfortable feeling in my stomach grow and then disappear.

Now time to have lunch and then work, today unfortunately until late. But first I'll take a look to see what are you all up to for the new challenge :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

(*sitting pauses ----> what about thinking of sitting not as a rest posture but a posture I need to rest from? At least those have been my feelings lately).

Following! This is a great way to think about sitting. 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Oh I LOOOOOOOOOVE ALL your goals!! like all of them the best :)

simple and superb

so happy to hear how you are embracing your anxiety and how rewarding it is, you go girl!! Self-defense on the patio and plants to tend and resting breaks from sitting,.... and discovering new places?! This is going to shine so bright, mmmmmmmh

happy-cat.jpg

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Following!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following! This is a great way to think about sitting. 

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh I LOOOOOOOOOVE ALL your goals!! like all of them the best :)

simple and superb

so happy to hear how you are embracing your anxiety and how rewarding it is, you go girl!! Self-defense on the patio and plants to tend and resting breaks from sitting,.... and discovering new places?! This is going to shine so bright, mmmmmmmh

happy-cat.jpg

34 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Following!

Welcome everybody!

I'll do my best!

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

100% understand this, it's exactly what I think. After years of sitting all the physios, trainers and medical people I've seen tell me to avoid sitting for long periods wherever possible. Well that was a perfect excuse to book business class flights :lol:  Seriously though moving around every now and again instead of sitting hunched up is a really good goal. :encouragement: 

I'll be following to see how you go :)

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

10 hours ago, Endor said:

100% understand this, it's exactly what I think. After years of sitting all the physios, trainers and medical people I've seen tell me to avoid sitting for long periods wherever possible. Well that was a perfect excuse to book business class flights :lol:  Seriously though moving around every now and again instead of sitting hunched up is a really good goal. :encouragement: 

I'll be following to see how you go :)

Thanks for coming by.

I don't understand: if sitting is that bad, and everybody agrees, why do we have to put up with so much sitting?

7 hours ago, annyshay said:

Love your goals, as usual.  Now to watch your inevitable awesomeness grow even more!

Thank youuuuuuu!!!

• Like 1

Wednesday.

Yesterday I finally had less work and was free earlier, so took the time to go outside the city for a short walk during the sunset. Sat down for a while in a field just to listen. Very nice.

Today after meditation and breakfast, sat for about half an hour to check NF (and to write to the acrobates!) and then went to the patio for an IS workout. Then some errands, and now another half an hour sitting to check e-mail and so and now heading to prepare lunch.

It feels so good to be doing all these things. And no willpower involved so far :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Endor said:

These new forums are le pooppoop (that's French you know :P ) keep unfollowing me from stuff I know I followed...

Yeah, there are still strange things happening. My notifications disappear every now and then...

Didn't know you had such a command of french :P

• Like 2

Thursday.

Meditation, breakfast, cleaning the kitchen, doing the laundry and sweeping. Anything but sitting :D Then went to the physio, where I met a new friend: dry needling. I wish I'd never known what it is. Came back home and spent some time with the cat, who has been acting odd lately (wanting to hide all the time) so I guess he's not feeling well. When he got asleep, went to the patio for a short reading and now heading to the kitchen to prepare lunch (after the mandatory NF check...).

Week 0 is going pretty well and I'm feeling energized and wanting to do all the things. I guess this is related to so much sun and light from spending all that time outdoors. This is great.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zenLara said:

went to the physio, where I met a new friend: dry needling. I wish I'd never known what it is.

I googled this, is it similar to acupuncture? I hope you feel better after your session even if it sounds like it wasn't something you enjoyed at the time! 

4 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Came back home and spent some time with the cat, who has been acting odd lately (wanting to hide all the time) so I guess he's not feeling well.

Sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well. If he keeps up this behaviour I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. Cats often do this if they're quite poorly but hopefully it's nothing and he's just enjoying more alone time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deftona said:

I googled this, is it similar to acupuncture? I hope you feel better after your session even if it sounds like it wasn't something you enjoyed at the time! 

Sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well. If he keeps up this behaviour I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. Cats often do this if they're quite poorly but hopefully it's nothing and he's just enjoying more alone time. 

The feeling is not similar to acupuncture, or at least not to me. The needle goes inside the muscle, to the exact point where pain is focused, so it is pretty painful. The good thing is that when she removed the needle I had a great sense of relief, like lots of tension leaving the body. I felt I wanted to cry but it was not from the pain but from the relief of tension. Or maybe because the needle pain had stopped? :wacko:

I've been wanting to take the cat to the vet for long, but my boyfriend doesn't feel like. Last time we went, the vet said that to know what was happening she needed to run a blood test, and for cats this usually means to anaesthetise them, and they don't usually do that in cats that old, because many times they won't wake up. She told us that as long as he eats, moves and behaves normally, he is fine, and I guess my boyfriend clings to this to avoid taking him to the vet and then find that the cat is getting worse and will eventually die. He always says it will be very painful to me when the cat dies, but I am not sure he has thought about how that will affect him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I've been wanting to take the cat to the vet for long, but my boyfriend doesn't feel like. Last time we went, the vet said that to know what was happening she needed to run a blood test, and for cats this usually means to anaesthetise them, and they don't usually do that in cats that old, because many times they won't wake up. She told us that as long as he eats, moves and behaves normally, he is fine, and I guess my boyfriend clings to this to avoid taking him to the vet and then find that the cat is getting worse and will eventually die. He always says it will be very painful to me when the cat dies, but I am not sure he has thought about how that will affect him.

You're right that anaesthesia can sometimes cause more harm than good in older cats. Hopefully this issue will right itself again because if I remember correctly, this has happened before? About this time last year? 

9 minutes ago, deftona said:

You're right that anaesthesia can sometimes cause more harm than good in older cats. Hopefully this issue will right itself again because if I remember correctly, this has happened before? About this time last year? 

He had problems last year from end may to end august because summer was extremely hot and he spent the whole three months in the only room he knew we weren't going to use. But temperatures are rather cool right now, it is hot only in the central hours. I'm suspecting the problem may be another one: my boyfriend's brother is sleeping in a bed the cat likes to sleep on during the day, and maybe he is not liking the new smell of it? :D If this is the problem, we'll know when our guest leaves next month... Anyway, he is not trying to find a new place, as much as trying to be hidden. Right now he's sleeping inside a box full of old clothes in a closet upstairs, so a rather secret place. I know that cats love that, but he has never been of the sort. I'll wait a few days and if he keeps on this behavior I'll take him to the vet, boyfriend or not.

• Like 1

Following because I like your outside/not sitting goals. I also like the mindframe of needing to rest from sitting. Good luck this challenge!

• Like 1

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

8 hours ago, Garjan said:

Following because I like your outside/not sitting goals. I also like the mindframe of needing to rest from sitting. Good luck this challenge!

Welcome, Garjan, and thank you!

Friday.

Today is going to be a rest day. I'm pretty sore from the physio yesterday and I don't think it would be wise to do any efforts today. So meditation but not self-defense. I'm in a chair right now, but I've been getting up from it every 10 minutes or so. Maybe I'll go for a short walk later (done!), just to go outside (I can't be in the terrace, it is raining).

• Like 4

Saturday.

Soreness and lack of energy continues today. Yesterday it was a struggle to go out for a short walk (barely one mile). My boyfriend says it's normal, that when he gets dry needling he feels low for a couple of days (I remember he showed up once to one of my students' concerts because my work place is half way home from the physio and he felt he couldn't walk anymore, so came to the concert to rest. I am being luckier, it seems). So here I am, anxious because I feel like doing nothing, and eating things I shouldn't be eating because they don't help. At least, I've been getting off the chair now and then to do some neck stretching, squatting, going upstairs to the patio (still raining)...

Cat has taken the opposite behavior and now absolutely wants to be with someone. Aaaaall the time. I would like to say it is something sweet, like this:

giphy.gif

But it is more like this:

439781d4dd99ab0f2fef65eac482529f.gif

• Like 6