Upside Down Pixie Kitten

This month is about arm strength. Nothing says strng arms quite like holding one's entire body up with ones arms. For July's Pretty Muddy for Cancer Research, I imagine the extra strength gained doing this will be a fair advantage. So here's what we're gonna do!

giphy.gif

Main Quest:

Execute a free standing handstand by the 4th June. (18XP, STR +3)

I did my first ever wall handstand yesterday... On the sofa.

Do 20 minutes of handstand related work every day. (16XP, STA +1)

I'll get there if I just... Keep... Trying!

Modify my workout routine. (16XP, DEX +1)

Everything seems a bit overwhelming trying to fit in 3 days of strength, 3 days of running, 5 days of horse riding and 1 day of swimming plus 7 days of handstand training on top of work and chores and life.. So we're gonna squash all the weight training into one day, all the bodyweight training into another, swimming once a week, running twice and riding 5. We'll see how doable that is.

Work on hand grip by hanging off of things. (16XP, CON +1)

What's the point of having strong arms if you can't get a good grip on whatever it is you need to haul yourself over?

Do 10 strict pushups daily. (16XP, CHA+1)

I can't do 10 strict push ups in a row. So they'll be done throughout the day, a little closer together each time until they're done in one go.

giphy.gif

Side Quest

Save £400. (18XP, WIS+3)

I saved £300 last challenge so the hole in my savings account wouldn't be too dire when I booked my holiday. Now I need to start building i back up, while saving for spending money for the holidfay at the same time!

All in all, I think the bigggest challenge here is going on in my head. I've always been too chicken to do anything head first - handstands, cartwheels, diving.. It's all terrifying. I can't even jump into my bed with it's 300000 pillows and cushions without putting my arms up first. So this'll be interesting!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

On 5/3/2016 at 3:47 AM, PixieKitten said:

Work on hand grip by hanging off of things. (

Dead hangs are always a great place to start!  Most of my present grip strength can be attributed to all the hanging and bar work I've done.  I'm glad to see others starting up on it.  The strength from it carries over into so many other exercises!

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 5/3/2016 at 3:47 AM, PixieKitten said:

I did my first ever wall handstand yesterday... On the sofa.

All in all, I think the bigggest challenge here is going on in my head. I've always been too chicken to do anything head first - handstands, cartwheels, diving.. It's all terrifying. I can't even jump into my bed with it's 300000 pillows and cushions without putting my arms up first. So this'll be interesting!

Hello! I'm also working on arm strength and free-standing handstands. Congrats on your first of many! If you haven't read it yet, NF has a great post on handstand progressions, including overcoming the fear of falling and being upside-down. The best way to do it, though, is just to.... do it! Looks like you've got that one under control. 

May I ask where you're going on holiday? My gentleman and I are taking our first vacation together this fall, and are working on saving up for spending money now, as you said.

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Thank you guys! =D I'll definitely check out that link Manarelle, thank you! I'm off to Skiathos, in Greece! I have no idea how much I need to save, because every other holiday I've been on was with parents as a child, so I never really payed attention to how much money was spent... So I'm just putting every spare penny away! I want to do so many things, like jetskiing, boat tours, rent a motorboat for a day, and it's self catering, so we'll be going out to eat every night and Boyfriend seems intent on getting drunk every night... It's sounding expensive but I can't wait! I've been listening to greek music and digging out my Greek language CDs to brush up on basic sentences and stuff... I like to make an effor to at least know please and thank you!

Where are you off to?

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.

That's a fantastic start! Go you! (Also, I love the shirt!) Are you feeling a bit more confident about head-first-ness?

I've heard wonderful things about Greece, but I've never been there. My gentleman and I are going to Ireland - my first time there, his first time out of the country at all. Trips can be as expensive of frugal as you want them to be, and I've found both to be equally exciting. Even just going to a grocery store and looking around is an adventure. :) And now you can impress the locals with your mastery of handstands. Woot!

• Like 1

Wow, 35 seconds of sofa handstand is quite a start. I bet it's a lot harder to balance on than a solid surface would be, too. Following for the handwalking dog pics (and the human handstand goal too, I suppose :beguiled:).

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Hey! Another handstand person! I will be following you. Great Start yey!

• Like 2

Level 5 Daemon Assassin

Strength - 8.4 | Dexterity  - 6.3 | Stamina  - 7.4 | Constitution  - 7 | Wisdom - 8.5 | Charisma - 7.2

Champion of House Targaryen

Current Challenge

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

"Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove."

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom."
- Terry Pratchett

Had a couple of days off from anything arm-related, I got some more work done on my tattoo sleeve and have been a bit paranoid about brushing it against anything. Plus it's making sleeping difficult as I roll around a lot, so haven't been that... With it. At all.

Now the weather's lovely and I have to keep my jacket on. Meh. Still, gonna see how long I can keep a handstand for today!

• Like 1

Level 9 Pixie

Congrats on the practice! I don't know that I've made it to 1 minute yet; I usually start getting a head rush around 35 seconds. The wrists take time, but they'll come around. I ended up adding wrist stretches to my hourly "get up and stretch" reminders at work. 

Anyway. How'd the week go, overall? One week closer to Greece!

Last couple of days have been pretty sweet. BF K and I have been practising handstands at work in our soft play den... and then you know, running around playing on the rest of it like children. I love that we're both still light enough to be alowed to do that (once we've finished work, of course!), even if we're over the height restriction.

Tattoo sleeve is healing nicely and I can actually roll around without waking up now, which means I'm starting to get my energy back, which means I'll be back charging at these goals in full force in the next day or so... Huzzah!

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

One more minute handstand under the belt, and I hung off the goal posts in the field for a little bit whilst walking the dog.

Hutch was not impressed at the delay in his walkies. But hanging!

Level 9 Pixie

So I've been trying, and trying and trying and trying to progress from the sofa to the floor, but it just was't happening. So I made a middle step. Now the sofa IS the floor! Haha!

I had to move the sofa because there isn't actually a wall in this house with enough space around it. My sofa is rather heavy.

It also took me a good 15 tries before I actually kicked up into a handstand.

Then I had to go and get the camera.

This, ladies and gentlemen, combined with a complexion that turns me into a tomato at the slightest temperature change, is why I have a face like a lobster. I'm really not struggling as much as it makes me look like I am..... Promise!

13244083_10154203310238659_9731705753281

Just before this one, the camera got me just as I was falling... And about to drop the F-bomb!

13308281_10154203310018659_7941471037617

Hehe.. Blooper shot.

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

I am sitting here marveling at doing a handstand on a soft surface before doing it on a hard surface. Aren't your wrists all over the place??

I just ... I ...

EditingAndLayout confused thinking jack nicholson cricket

... how??

• Like 1

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Maybe it's just a mental thing? To me, soft=safe whether you do it our not, hard= pain when you fall, and you will fall, because there's nothing to stop you.

I've barrelled head firsst into a wall then collapsed onto my head too many times... Sofa cushions are safer!!

• Like 1

Level 9 Pixie

I'm slowly getting there! The weekend's never good for me, I work in a restaurant.. My weekends are wednesday and thursday!

Lost one cushion today!

Handstands20162_006.jpg Bonus Hutchy!!(who is looking a bit nervous because I kicked the door with my foot and it scared him!)

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

I don't like matching socks. It denies my creativity. Which, as we all know, clearly comes from the feet.

....Mismatched socks are fun. Tomorrow, I swear to bacon, there will be a photo of me doing a handstand with no cushions!

• Like 1

Level 9 Pixie

In an attempt to do a wall handstand with no cushions, I did exactly what I didn't want to do... Headbutted the wall. Hard.

THIS IS WHY I HAD CUSHIONS THERE.

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie

It's the last day. the day to perform. And.. God damnit guys, I'm so dissapointed..

..That I couldn't hold it long enough to get a photo!

Yes!

I DID IT!

For like 1.5 seconds. But I was up there all by myself for 1.5 seconds!

Before I promptly fell forward, into the cushion against the wall. Yeah I was only a foot away from the wall, but I wasn't touching the wall!!! Woohooo!!!

giphy.gif

Was it much? No. Was it impressive? Not in the slightest. But for a split second, was it what I've been striving to achieve? Why yes. Yes it was. Lets take a loot at the other goals I had!

On 03/05/2016 at 8:47 AM, PixieKitten said:

Main Quest:

D-d-d-done!

Do 20 minutes of handstand related work every day. (16XP, STA +1)

Also done, and my wrists were not happy about it in the first fortnight!!

Modify my workout routine. (16XP, DEX +1)

I've had to take swimming off the list because of getting my tattoo, But I've been keeping up with my running program, as well as doing some bodyweight exercises, horse riding and weight training!

Work on hand grip by hanging off of things. (16XP, CON +1)

There's a pole I can reach whenever I clean the playden at work. Cleaning the playden has been taking 5 minites longer becauase I've been hanging off it every time I pass it. Also been hanging off my pullup bar while watching tv. Built it up to 50 seconds!

Do 10 strict pushups daily. (16XP, CHA+1)

I didn't manage to work these into one set. But 10 strict pushups have been done every day! I can do them in sets of 2 now! *cringes at how pathetic that sounds*

Side Quest

Save £400. (18XP, WIS+3)

This has been difficult. There have been a couple of nights out that shouldn't hve happened, the horse needs a new peice of tack, and the other day my rabbit went for her vaccinations(bye bye £40) only for me to be told she needs an operation on her teeth. Luckily Boyfriend owes me £200 so that while I nw lose getting that back, at least I'm not having to drag more out of my savings. All that considered, I saved... Uh.. *goes to get secret saving cash box*  £360. So, rolling £40 from tomorrow's paycheck, I did it? I mean, I could get a sub today and have it today, therefore completing the deadline, But I hate doing that. So I'm gonna say I did it with a 24hour extension!

Seriously guys, I'm so glad I work at a restaurant, else I'd have starved months ago. But now I gots money for Skiathos! Whoohoo!

I'm gonna keep working on handstands. This was a fun challenge! Thank you to everyone who subbed, commented, liked and lurked, and I hope you all smashed your own goals! Bring on the next challenge! =D

• Like 2

Level 9 Pixie