• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waldo

Waldo Bulks Again (#7)

Good day lifting today.

Nice thing about the 7-10 rep zone is a lack of need for ramp up sets.  Did a quick warmup front squat set at 135 then jumped right to work sets at 185.  Managed 5 sets of 8.  Rep #8 was a struggle on all 5 sets.

Got rep #2 at 395 on the deadlift today.  Once I get rep #3 I'm going to move my work set up to 405.

Skipped all accessory work.  Higher rep squat sets are plenty fatiguing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Sets of 7-10 squats? Holy wows. Definitely fatiguing. 

Yep.  Got the DOMS today pretty good too.

Actually wasn't as hard as I expected it to be.  I want to eventually do a 20 squat set, the kind where you do 20 reps with your 10RM, those are just brutal.

Yeah baby, calories glorious calories (even though I failed to eat a surplus yesterday, at least I got back to maintenance).

PR's, PR's everywhere today

Bench - 190 x 5 (new PR)

Bench - 165 x 10 (new PR)

Tuck Front Lever Row - 6 (recent PR)

Did have a major fail though.  Set 2 at 190 I couldn't get #5 up, but I forgot to set the safety pins, so I set the bar down on my neck at first.  Fun.  At least it was a soft landing and not a drop.  Had to do the roll of shame to get it off. It'll be a while before I make that mistake again.

Oddly enough I got rep #5 up on set #3 at 190.

Youch! I'm glad only your pride was injured. I'm still feeling okay to use the regular bench bench (see what I did there?) because benching 65# I have no issues with if I have to set it down on my chest, it's not that much weight. But I can't even imagine setting 190# on my neck or my chest. Youz a beast bro. I'm planning to bench in the power rack once I get up past maybe 80#. I'm assuming when you say safety pins that you are benching in the power rack?

Congrats on all those PRs!!!

On 5/10/2016 at 4:26 PM, Waldo said:

Did have a major fail though.  Set 2 at 190 I couldn't get #5 up, but I forgot to set the safety pins, so I set the bar down on my neck at first.  Fun.  At least it was a soft landing and not a drop.  Had to do the roll of shame to get it off. It'll be a while before I make that mistake again.

Oh no, glad it was soft! GAH!!! Great about the recovery set tho. (SCARY!!)

Yeesh, been a while since I posted.  Been like way busy at work.  A combo of having lots to do and feeling like running through a wall due to the leadership thing I went to; it just hit a nerve.  Plus I was traveling a bit last week.

Anyway.

Bulking is going 'eh.  I'm doing my best to get in the cals and am at least close most days, but I really need to put forth a lot of effort to eat more earlier in the day.  Tomorrow I'll see how measurements go.  But thus far at least its been good in the weight room.  PR's everywhere.

Doing more reps is the plan, across the board, and its working.  I'm still not there yet with any rest pause stuff for either the bench or the front squat, but I'm getting close. 

But I've skipped cardio, both last Wed (traveling) and Saturday (spent all day at the pool).

We've had a change of plans on the house, instead of redoing the kitchen-dining room area, we're going to paint the exterior and do a bit of landscaping.  Wife is in full on pick color mode (not something she takes lightly).  Sunday I cut down a big topiary-ish camellia by our front door that just was out of place and ugly.  A green cascade Japanese maple will be taking its place (its in the hole, but still in its pot).  Removing the root ball for that thing was hours of work, I was dead tired and didn't have planting a tree left in me (had to cut the grass too).  Wife is giddy to mow down a bunch of ferns we have out front (she hates ferns), and there are some ugly bushes that gotta go (going to do a miniature conifer thing in their place).  I'm probably going to buy an airless paint sprayer in the next couple weeks so we can rock and roll on painting.  House really needs painting, it literally looks like shit (its brown, a particularly ugly purplish tinted brown).

In my shop, I'm finally done with all the shop stuff that I've wanted to do, and am just starting out making some floating shelves.  The last week or so I've been working on a saw (Redstone will like this..., making tools).  I took a cheap $25 Two Cherries dovetail saw, filed off the teeth and flatted the set, then recut the teeth to a much better geometry for dovetailing (1" of crosscut for starting transitioning to an aggressive rip.  Then I cut off the crappy file handle and made a custom handle from some of my leftover cherry.

WP_20160514_22_27_53_Prosm_zps6oljgevo.j

• Like 6

That handle is damn beautiful! You have a talent. 

Yard work is no joke. I have to cut down and dig out an invasive weed (which at this point in the Spring are already starting to look more like invasive trees). You got me thinking that maybe I will work on that tonight instead of completing the cardio and accessories I missed yesterday. 

It's hard for me to relate to difficulty bulking though. ;) I can understand it though because I went through a phase in my medical history when I had difficulty eating anything. But currently food is delicious. 

Oh damn, that is a beautiful piece indeed! I have zero skills for woodworking, alas. Highest respect. 

Guess it's the season -  I'm gearing up now to go get the last of the landscaping grass I need for the deck. Gardening counts as cardio, right? (Please?)

Good luck with eating all the stuff - I had my first bowl of pasta last night since last September and I still only barely made my maintenance! Don't know how these guys pulls it off...

40 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That handle is damn beautiful! You have a talent. 

It's hard for me to relate to difficulty bulking though. ;) I can understand it though because I went through a phase in my medical history when I had difficulty eating anything. But currently food is delicious. 

Thanks!

I actually went through a phase like that too.  Something about dorm food my Soph year, my body/mind just refused to eat it.  I had to force myself to eat, or try to at least.  Plenty of times I went down to the lunch hall, took a couple nibbles, and nearly threw up, and gave up.  I lost a fair bit of weight (not good when I was already super skinny), that was the lightest I ever was as an adult, definitely in the low 140's (@6'1"), I could have dipped into the 130's though (or even 120's, not sure, I didn't own a scale, nowadays I'm between 205 and 210).  I don't share a lot of the same mental baggage as a former obese person because of this, most of my mental baggage from my former body is from being near ED skinny (which is a much bigger deal for a male, many women actually want to be like that), which I was until late college, even then I only gained back up to being underweight/fringe normal, then became skinnyfat in my early-mid 20's after graduation; obesity was really a short lived thing, mostly overshooting recovery from earlier years. 

Bulking is a totally different beast though.  Most people can eat over cals easily for a day or two or three.  Eventually though your body completely eliminates all hunger signals and instead often sends full signals (common first thing in the morning for me, still full from the night before).  What really kills you is when you realize too late in the day that you have an enormous amount to eat, like 2500+ cals with like 2-3 hours to go till bedtime.  That really bleeds over to the next day which starts the cycle anew.  Its that surplus every single day that's the hard part, overeating gets old real fast.

• Like 2

Some PR's I've hit this week thus far:

Front Squat - 185 lb x 9 reps (actually had a little left in the tank too on early sets)

Bench Press - 195 x 5 reps, 175 x 8 reps

Tuck Front Lever Rows - 7 reps (not an all time PR, but recent PR, I've done 10 before a few years ago)

Deadlift - 315 x 6 reps (I didn't have time to work up to a higher weight, so I just did max reps at 315 Monday)

Deadlift - 395 x 2 reps (first time hitting multiples at that high of a weight last Fri)

Dips - 21 reps (again, recent PR, I've done more than 25 a few years ago)

Things are progressing nicely on the bench, which is my primary focus because it is so far behind everything else.  It wasn't but a couple weeks ago that I was stuck at 185 and had been for a while.

• Like 1

I've been doing much better as of late getting in my cals, which is both good and bad.  The good is that I'm full steam bulking, the bad relates to another goal...

I didn't work last Friday so I had to compress both my Thur and Fri workout into one.  As part of that I gave some rest-pause work on the bench a go.  It went great.  Its definitely going to be a regular part of the plan.  I'm probably going to give it a go with squats today too.

For the rest pause work:

I used 175, which was my 9RM.  First set was done normally.  2nd set I did 9 reps, reracked the bar and took 5 breaths, then did 2 reps, then repeated the pause again and did 2 more reps.  I only had 2 rest pause sets in me, but, man oh man did that really hit the muscles good.  In my past, absolutely nothing led to faster gains, both in strength and mass, than rest-pause work.

Today I'm going to try to do a 20 rep squat set; 10 reps-ish to near failure, and then rest pause reps to 20 reps total. 

Cardio however has been a total failure.  Wed a storm came through right at my running time, Saturday I was distracted by my (new) phone.  Friday I ditched my windows phone and got an android, it was quite a shock and really took me a while to figure out, Saturday night when I was supposed to be running I was trying to connect it to the computer in what came to be a few hours of futility (Sun I finally figured it out).  But, cals are easier when I skip cardio....

Did some more bush removal in front of the house and bought some new ones that need planting.  We're probably going to get paint samples in the next week or two.

But yeah, expanding on the phone point.  

I was sad to move on from my windows phone (my 2nd), I loved the interface and live tiles, it was so simple and intuitive to use, and very efficient.  Before that I had iOS, it did and still does remind me of Windows 95 which is just lame.  But the phone itself was horribly designed (the back fell off all the time, causing the battery to fall out, after a while it just started restarting randomly), which sucks because my first windows phone was awesome, built like a tank and had the best camera on the market (at the time).  The app thing that people would harp on never really bothered me, everything that I actually used had an app and usually a very well done one (facebook, myfitnesspal, twitter client, pinterest, navigation, etc...) and it had a few features other phones lacked that I used a lot (live tiles, the people thing was really cool, linking my contacts across platforms, and camera linked to the map linked to the business directory app was really useful when traveling).  But it just never caught on for some reason and in the last few months support just fell off a cliff (after Microsoft got a new CEO).  The last straw was the nav app pulling its servers, and thus the end of a native app for navigating, a vital feature for me given how much I travel for work.

So I went to Android.  I got a new Note; I have very un-Trump like hands; typing on a phone has always been a typo filled PITA, this thing is by far the best I've had for that.  Holy cow was it tough to figure out though.  It natively looked like iOS, which I rather despise, without being as intuitive as either iOS or WP.  And the first loader I tried was way, way too tough (aka time consuming) to get looking halfway decent.  But I did figure out eventually that Microsoft has a loader and it has the simplicity and efficiency of a WP, so whew, pretty happy with that.

So I've rejoined the world of apps that other people have (aside from the basics).  Now I have to figure out a good timer or timed burst app for taking lifting pics in the gym; on a WP I used a slow burst app that took pics one per second, I used it for selfies too since I could hold the phone steadier if I didn't have to bother with the shutter.

Short and sweet workout today, but my legs are aching.

Front Squat

45 x 10 

135 x 5 

185 x 5

185 x 10 +3,3,2,2

Deadlift

225 x 5 x 1

315 x 3

355 x 1

375 x 1

395 x 3

Both 10 reps at 185 on the Front Squat and 3 reps at 395 on the deadlift are PR's.

I took 10 breath pauses (~25 sec) during the rest pause set.  I was originally going to go for 5 breath pauses, but I was out of breath and wanted that to chill a bit.  Was easier than I expected, I probably could have done rep 11 and I definitely could have done more sets.  But, I want to see how this affects me first, R-P work tends to cause much stronger DOMs than other work.

On 5/23/2016 at 3:19 PM, Waldo said:

I took 10 breath pauses (~25 sec) during the rest pause set.  I was originally going to go for 5 breath pauses, but I was out of breath and wanted that to chill a bit.  Was easier than I expected, I probably could have done rep 11 and I definitely could have done more sets.  But, I want to see how this affects me first, R-P work tends to cause much stronger DOMs than other work.

And the vertict is in.  My legs are killing me, strongest DOMS I've had since the first week lifting.  Pretty crazy that that came from:

- An exercise I do 2x per week and have for close to 5 months, I usually don't get any DOMS

- A weight I'm used to using, well under my max

- A rep range I'm used to.

- Total volume well under what I usually do.

Usually DOMS isn't a great indicator, but in this case it is.  It clearly has a much stronger training effect than straight sets.

Today's workout was eh, good parts and ok parts.

Tuck Front Lever Rows - 7, 7, 7, 6, 6 reps

- Added 1 rep to set 3 from last week.  Marginal progress.

Bench Press

45 x 10

135 x 5

185 x 3 

200 - 4, 4, 3

175 - 9+1,1

175 - 7

- 200 lb is a new weight PR, probably going to just jump to 205 next week as I'm pretty much at 1x BW then.  9 reps is a new rep PR at 175, but the rest-pause sets went like crap afterwards, could only eek out singles.  A 7 rep set after a normal break told me my arms were toast.

Bro Curlz

95 - 6

85 - 9

75 - 12

- Added a rep both at 85 and 75 since last Thur.  Maybe this week de gunz will show some progress on the tape.

L-Sit - 20, 20 sec

Good day in the gym today.

New PR's in the Front Squat and Deadlift.

Hit 5 reps at 225 on the front squat for 2 sets (4 on the 3rd).  Good enough to finally progress; I've been stuck at 225 for a while, more than a month, chasing 5 reps.  Going to go to 235 because I don't like those little dinky weights.

Instead of trying for multiple reps at 405, which was the plan when I started deadlifting, I was feeling good so I did a single at 405, added 20 to the bar, and did a single at 425, setting a new single PR.  Took a slow mo video too but I don't want to deal with posting it.

My shoulders have been real sore lately and the OHP has especially given me trouble, I'm thinking about switching to a different exercise, either DB arnold presses or maybe the shoulder press machine.  I'm going to give both a try tomorrow to see how they feel.

I've reached the "I'm too lazy to write out my workouts" zone again; been a while since I updated my workout log (or this thread, lol).

Doesn't mean I've been skipping (well, except cardio....).  Progress is slow and steady.  Steady being the key word, this bulk is going good thus far.

Measurements again tomorrow, but up to this point in general:

- Legs are doing what they always do when bulking, getting bigger.  The tape is in a perpetual stall-free zone in the legs when bulking.  Even my calves have ticked upwards!

- The only part of my arms not getting bigger is the bicep peak on my right (stronger) arm.  The left has big time closed the size gap as of late.  And the forearms have ticked upward.

- Only 1/8" away from 50" flexed chest.  Flexed size has ticked up each weak, unflexed missed last week.

- Waist has only increased about 1/8-1/4".  Minimal.  

When the smoke clears tomorrow I suspect I'll be up about 2 lbs lean mass and 1 lb fat.  Not too bad.

Some workout highlights today:

Bench - 205 lb is my 4RM, a PR

Hit 8 reps at tuck front lever rows

20 rep front squats are goddam brutal, did 10+3,3,3,2 at 185.  Layed there for a bit.  Someone asked me if I was ok.

• Like 2

Yay, did cardio tonight.  Ran 3 miles.

I said I was working on some floating shelves.  I finished them up.  At least the first "order", wife decided another shorter one would look good in the TV room, instead of just the long one.

collage_zpsnrqejxpb.jpg

I made them by laminating some scrap plywood together, smoothing the edges and cutting a radius, then attaching laminate (the kind used in counter tops) instead of paint or a wood finish.  This is a Jonathan Adler Formica pattern. 

The one on the left is in the basement bathroom, the last step in the remodel I did last year.  I had an extra switched electrical circuit; instead of removing it I put an outlet in the wall to power an old analog radio, turn on the switch and the tunes turn on.  But I needed to make a shelf for the radio.  That was the test run.  The one on the right is in the TV room.  It'll be a place to put art/photos. I'm making another for the TV room now that is half the width.

• Like 4

I didn't realise you were as handsy as this Waldo. Those are some clean pieces of work there. You momentarily blew my mind there in making a tool in your garage, instead of storing your tools in your garage...

The weights are still my friends.

Yesterday:

- Hit 3 reps at 235 on the front squat.  I was stuck at 225 for a while, when I started this bulk I could only get 3 reps at 225, so I've solidly added 10 lbs to my front squat in the last month.

- Pulled 2 reps at 405, the first time I've hit multiples.

Today:

- Used a combo of the ohp machine (seated, hammer grip) and headstand pushups to fatigue the shoulders without making them sore.

- Got close to completing a 6 step pullup pyramid (1,2,3,4,5,6-6,5,4,3,2,1), failed on the way back down on 4 and 3; on paper it looks a lot easier than it is, because of the timing thats 42 reps in about 4 and a half minutes.

- Hit 10 reps on the bench at 175.

- Hit 7 reps on the curlz at 95.

- Did 2 full dragon flag reps to about 30 degrees.

How measurements have fared since just before the start of this challenge (and the start of bulking):

Chest (flexed) - 49.6 -> 49.9 (+1/4")

Chest (unflexed) - 46.6 -> 46.9 (+1/4")

Waist - 32.5 -> 32.6 (+1/8")

Bi-Delt - 53.5 -> 53.9 (+3/8")

Bicep R (flexed) - 16.4 -> 16.5 (+1/8")

Bicep L (flexed) - 15.6 -> 16.1 (+1/2")

Forearm R (flexed) - 13.5 -> 13.8 (+1/4")

Forearm L (flexed) - 13.3 -> 13.4 (+1/8")

Glutes - 43.0 -> 43.1 (+1/8")

Quad R - 25.0 -> 25.5 (+1/2")

Quad L - 24.8 -> 25.1 (+3/8")

Calf R - 16.4 -> 16.5 (+1/8")

Calf L - 15.9 -> 15.9 (--)

• Like 1

Its been forever since I took a shirtless selfie..

20160603_141546a_zpsxgvcbjof.jpg

I'm ~210 lbs nowadays.

I'm out of practice a bit (not really flexing), but damn what a difference 2 generations of phone later makes.  Crazy tho to think that I'm a solid 20 lbs heavier in this pic than my avi.  Not nearly as lean, but 15 lbs of muscle has a lot less impact than 5 lbs of fat appearance-wise.

Edit:

Here's the pic my avi is from, the end of a long cut, the first time I got pretty lean:

EndBulk-Cut2b_zps04044764.jpg

(man that picture sucks...)

One drawback of BW work, the pecs just doesn't get worked all that well, its the one spot that really didn't gain all that much in the 4 1/2 bulks I've done since that photo.  My arms are each 1" bigger nowadays, legs are each 2" bigger, chest circumference is 4" bigger (its all in the lats).  A double bi flex pose would be a world of different between the two.

For any of y'all (prob most at this point) that never saw any of my early progress pics from when I first joined NF:

CollageA217.jpg

(Geez, as bad as that last pic sucked, these are even worse)

Crazy that I'm in that weight band right now.  What a difference a few years of training makes (and now 6 1/2 bulk-cut cycles).  I started at 262 on 9-11-11, its been almost 5 years, keeping it off FTW.

• Like 5

This is one of the threads that has gotten dropped for me on forum filtering, just catching up. That deadlift is impressive. Also, my gut looks a bit like yours in that first photo. Hopefully I see as much improvement as you did with a 15 lb loss from here. Aiming for 20-25.