Garjan - Patrol the Territory

Hey everyone :)

Pupster and I are back for second challenge with the Adventurers. Really enjoyed myself and felt engaged in the community through the April challenge. I can definitely see the Adventurer's guild being our home for the foreseeable future. Last challenge was all about pulling myself together with the right mindset. This challenge we're kicking things up a notch and starting to look outwards. 

Goal 1: Patrol the Territory

A minimum fitness level is required to properly patrol the pack's territory. Time to get into the habit and branch out. We walk the same paths every day - time to experience some new local sights and smells. This way "I don't have time to drive to the park" is never an excuse since all we have to do is take that step out the front door.

• 2 Endurance Workouts/Week
  • 1 Strength Workout/Week
  • 1 Flexibility Workout/Week
  • Track daily distance made with the pupster (no goals this challenge since he's still a little limpy)

Loot: +3 STA, +2 STR, +1 Deadpool on BluRay (90% completion or more)

Goal 2: A Natural Diet

Did very well last challenge with my fight against the dreaded Sugar Monster. Time to up the difficulty. 

• MINDFUL Desserts & Snacks

The routine/mindless snacking is a huge problem for me. Oh I walked past the cabinet? Need a handful of cashews. To tackle this, snacks will be planned like a meal. No more stash of granola bars at the office. I can bring one with me to eat, but I cannot have a box on hand to mindlessly eat. Same goes for other snacks - yes I can bring a portioned container. No I cannot leave a bag of trail mix. Because I will inhale that stuff. Weekends are a big problem too. I just graze all day that I am home. Time to eat REAL meals (instead of handfuls of whatever I can find in the cabinet).

I want to work on drinking less too, but my focus now is on snacking. I'll have a tentative goal for 1 drink or less Mon-Thurs. But the exercise goal and snacking are pretty challenging by themselves and I want to give the right amount of effort to be successful. Next time.... :)

Loot: +3 CHA, +2 CON, +$20 for fancy coffee beans

Goal 3: Focus Training Continued

I'm doing online dog training class things. Completed lessons 1-3 last challenge for the "Get Focused" seminar. Aiming for 4 more lessons this challenge. Pretty simple.

Loot: +5 WIS

Goal 4: Assess the Surroundings

Time to learn more about the local flora and fauna (thanks Arrowan by being inspiring with your herp studies last challenge). Each week I will look for and learn a bit about at least1 plant and 1 animal that I see on our patrols. Bonus if I post a picture that I took of said species.

• Like 2

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Hi there Garjan! 

I really love some of the ideas in this challenge, especially the mindful snacking and exploring your local area. The Sugar Monster is an arch nemesis of a lot of us so I am definitely in your corner for this battle! 

Have a great challenge :D 

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

8 hours ago, deftona said:

Hi there Garjan! 

I really love some of the ideas in this challenge, especially the mindful snacking and exploring your local area. The Sugar Monster is an arch nemesis of a lot of us so I am definitely in your corner for this battle! 

Have a great challenge :D 

Thank you! I get so caught up in the routine and details with work sometimes that I forget to take time to really LOOK and appreciate stuff. My dog is great at reminding me to be more present - stop and smell the "pee-mail" and all that. This challenge is really about stretching past my comfort zone (shattering some "bad" habits) plus focusing on appreciating my surroundings and time with my pup.

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Woo Day 1!

So my plan for completing goal 1 is to have set days/times for workouts. Lately the times I have been going into work have been all over the place (I work at a 3 shift manufacturing site and often need to go in early to talk to the night shift). But I leave work at generally the same time. So I'll choose 6:30 pm as my start time. Gives me 30+ min to walk and play with the pupper, then I'll have 30 min to do my own thing before its time to think about dinner. 

• Monday 6:30 PM - Stretching workout (need to find some online yoga resources to try out for this)
  • Tuesday 6:30 PM - Running (+sprints?)
  • Wednesday - Rest/Extra play time
  • Thursday 6:30 PM - Running (+bodyweight workout?)
  • Friday - Rest/Extra Playtime
  • Saturday - Strength (bodyweight or lifting)
  • Sunday - Rest/Extra Playtime/Weekend adventures

I am going on a small road trip later in the challenge, and may flip the strength/endurance days. We'll see when we get to that time. 

Plan for food - Make batches of lunch (mason jar salads?) to bring to work. Batches are easier since I can make for 2-3 days and have it ready to just grab in the morning. I have been doing pretty well not snacking at work (Constant Vigilance!) after lunch... Breakfast all depends on if I eat before I leave for work. Need to have a plan for both types of days I guess.

currently after work is my big challenge. I'm thinking of setting a rule of no snacks until after workout (or play time on days off) - gives incentive to do my workouts. And the allowed snacks would be like sliced fruit/veg with hummus or something. 

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 1

Finally, after what seemed like an age of clouds and mist the skies cleared up. Two figures exited their den, blinking in the bright sky. Shielding her eyes, the human gestured to her canine companion and they set off. As it was the start of a new journey, they took an all-too familiar path. But even the well traveled paths can appear changed when looked at in a different light. Where before was grey and deep greens, pops of color had emerged from the ground. A good omen for the journey to come.

Patrol:

Dog Walk: 2x 0.41 miles = 0.81 miles

Diet:

Snacking: B (fighting habit of reaching for snacks, did reasonably well)

Dessert: Yes (mother's day, mostly fruit but some chocolate)

Alcohol: 4 units

Focus Training:

Continued lesson 3

Surroundings:

Saw a wildflower pop up near the garden (I'll post a picture I took later). Small white flowers with 6 blade-shaped petals. Was relatively easy to look them up - Star of Bethlehem (invasive species from "Old World" that escaped gardens and now enjoys life along the East Coast US. I'll write more about them once I post a picture and do some more research.

• Like 3

Week 1, Day 2

Patrol:

Dog Walk: 2 x 0.5 mi = 1 mile

30 min yoga

Found out that my cable provider has 'free' yoga videos to rent. So I did one of the 30 min beginner videos. Pupster was trying to join me (aka he laid down on my yoga mat, crawled under me during downward dog, then finally climbed onto the couch to watch me finish up)

image_1_zpsea2cc72c.jpeg

Diet:

Snacking: A

Dessert: 0

Alcohol: 2 units

• Like 1

Haha, your dog is very cute! My cat does the same as soon as I start doing yoga. I'm sure animals think everything we do is for their benefit/amusement! 

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

4 hours ago, deftona said:

Haha, your dog is very cute! My cat does the same as soon as I start doing yoga. I'm sure animals think everything we do is for their benefit/amusement! 

Thank you! He is a big goofball. I'm just glad he didn't try to step on me (too much...) during the floor stretches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weaver said:

My cat loves observing me during yoga, too - and sometimes getting comfortable on me when I'm doing corpse pose at the end...!

Great goals!

I guess yoga is relaxing for them too (or at the very least entertaining). "Human why are you standing so funny. Is this a new game?"

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3

Work was rough today. Morning dragged on and on and on. Then I had a couple shit meetings in the afternoon. One where I was the only representative of my group trying to explain a mechanical issue that I don't completely understand (cause everyone who knows stuff was on vacation or had gone home for the day since their shift ended). Got anxious on the way home going over in my head what I should've said or done instead. But BF had a perfectly timed phone call to calm me down (he's psychic and awesome). But the day is done and I have time tomorrow to help straighten out stuff. 

Patrol

Dog: 2 X 0.5 + 0.41 = 1.41 mi

Solo: 10 min run + 10 min stretching

Diet

Snacking - A - Banana and cashews after run

Dessert - No (candy jars were tempting me tho)

Alcohol - 2 units

Focus training: FE105 Lesson 4

This lesson makes us think - what is the dog's motivation for focusing on me? Why would he focus on me when the Pigeon Batallion is so much more fun to chase? They list through the different options - treats, playtime, praise, etc. Teacher gives possible pros and cons of each of the options - dog only listens when he can see/smell food, gets too riled up with toys, etc. 

So how do I make Pupster obsessed with me? Obsessed enough to have motivation to ignore other dogs, etc. He likes treats - but even the highest value treats are ignored in favor of checking the best pee-mail. Toys are cool - but only a couple are motivating, The One True Ball is a favorite, but he is more obsessed with the ball. And any ball in the house makes him go bonkers.  

Id say the best motivator that improves our bond is a game of tag, closely followed by scritchies and belly rubs. Treats are easy but not fool proof. Toys are the same, with potential of riling up too much. It's recommended to be unpredictable and random with using motivators to better keep dog's attention. Plus mix and matching motivators keeps it interesting for both of us.

• Like 3

Love the new challenge goals!  It sounds like a perfect progression from where you were at the end of last challenge.  And I'm happy to have inspired the "assess the surroundings" goal :)  I can't wait to hear more about your discoveries!

Great job so far. And your dog is adorable. Sorry work was rough today, but I'm glad you had support. You didn't let it ruin your afternoon and evening, by the looks of it. Keep it up!

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

18 hours ago, Arrowan said:

Love the new challenge goals!  It sounds like a perfect progression from where you were at the end of last challenge.  And I'm happy to have inspired the "assess the surroundings" goal :)  I can't wait to hear more about your discoveries!

Great job so far. And your dog is adorable. Sorry work was rough today, but I'm glad you had support. You didn't let it ruin your afternoon and evening, by the looks of it. Keep it up!

Thanks! These ideas were definitely bouncing around in my head mid-week 3 last challenge.Thank you for motivating me to pay more attention to nature around me. Your learning about car maintenance goal this challenge is awesome by the way....

Aaah yesterday was one of the hardest short runs I've had in a while. Body was definitely not convinced - got easier by the end (yay down hill!). Giving myself a set time seems to be working so far though. Also resisting the habit of "I need food" as soon as I walk in the door is so hard. But I've noticed after I resist for 15-20 min the urge goes away (guess that means I'm not really hungry that right?)

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 4

Took pupster for an adventure (pet store, then the vet). He got his shoulders checked out, from limping a week + ago, and vet said his mobility looked good. Probably just tweaked it jumping off the bed like an idiot. She recommended some joint supplements to use for future prevention and we talked about exercises and best way to increase activity slowly. And we got a dose of doggy pain pills in case of future "flare ups". 

Pupster had lots of fun on his adventure - up until the vet walked in the room. He tried to hide behind me and was very sad. Before that he made lots of friends who told him how handsome he is and gave ear scritchies.

Patrol

Dog: 2 x 0.41 mi = 0.82 mi

Adventure to pet store and the vet. Morning practice heeling (to avoid a skirmish with the Pigeon Battalion)

Diet

Snacking: A- Handful of cashews after vet visit (even though no workout). Not terrible but its the habit I'm trying to break (regardless of health of foodstuffs)

Dessert: Nope

Alcohol: 2 units

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 5

Another bleh day at work. Still attributed to the Tuesday chaos. Today's not looking much better. At least I can joke with coworkers that I have a relatively healthy stress management techniques - running (when at home) and pushups (at the office)

Patrol

Dog: 2 x 0.41 mi = 0.82 mi

Diet

Snacking: A 

Dessert: Nope

Alcohol: 3 units (1 before run)

• Like 1

Just gonna say, yesterday was the Friday the 13th from hell. Everything was breaking. Everything

Week 1, Day 6

Patrol:

Dog walks: 0.69 + 0.50 = 1.19 miles

Diet:

Snacks : A - I did have something when I got home, but barely ate (banana + salad) all day because work craziness. Then we had dinner at 10pm because BF had to work real late. Personally I think that's a valid reason to have some tortilla chips and leftover sushi ( separately, not together. Cause that would be weird)

Dessert: Nope, tho I was very tempted by a brownie for lunch. Progress~

Alcohol: 3 units (resisted temptation to get wasted by forcing myself to drink a big glass of water between units. If inner 2 year old doesn't want water, she can't have beer)

Week 1, Day 7

Patrol:

Doggy: 0.75 miles

Workout: Did a bad thing, I haven't done my "strength workout".

Had some shoulder therapy and should've worked out before that. But I didn't. I could give an excuse but really I just didn't make it a priority. Played in yard with dog. Made a couple work calls/emails for crisis from 4pm last night. Then went to therapy session. Not gonna beat myself up about it - probably better to make an alternative plan for next time.

Why did I skip? Didn't feel like going to gym. Was beautiful day (other than a Pupster/neighbor almost incident early in the morning) so I could've done my workout outside instead. Just didn't. I think I'm gonna cancel gym membership and just buy a kettle bell. Would even out after 2-3 months and really I'm much more likely to complete an at/around home workout than go to the gym.  

Diet:

Snacking: B (time to declare the cashews off limits, and maybe add more structure to weekend meals)

Dessert: Nope :)

Alcohol: 3 units (yay water drinking trick still working!)

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 1

Was mentally doing a little better than on Saturday. Tough week wiped me out. We had a family 5K race on Sunday in honor of someone in the family who died a few years ago. Brought the doggy - he was way excited, so we waited for everyone else to start and walked it. Lots of stopping thanks to doggy pulling (he basically dragged BF for the first half of the race). Something to work on.... 

Patrol
Dog walk: 3.2 + 0.41 = 3.61 miles

Diet

Snacking: B - I blame not eating 

Dessert: 2 cookies (one after race, another at the family party. but there is no weekend dessert ban so...)

Alcohol: 4 units

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, weaver said:

So interesting to hear your thoughts on how to help your dog focus! I don't have a dog now, but I'd like (at least) one in the future, so it's helpful to see you work through this.

Thank you! That means a lot. My dog is easily my best friend - and my (and my BF's) life outside of work really revolves around the pupster. What adventures to go on, the decision to stay home and cook (healthier) food rather than go out to eat, etc. Need to teach pupster manners so we can continue to feel good about adventures - instead of having sore shoulders from doggy taking us for a drag or being embarrassed if/when he danger barks at people. Though usually I'm the unfriendly one neighbors have to worry about....

• Like 2

I can see how that race might be emotionally draining as well as physically taxing. But that's a very nice way to honor someone's memory. I'm glad you could do it. 

Good job posting and keeping track of progress. Looks like you're doing just fine!

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Week 2, Day 2

Patrol - 

Doggy: 2 x 0.41 = 0.81

25 min stress relief yoga video

Diet -

Snacking - No?

Dessert - Nope

Alcohol - 2 units?

Week 2, Day 3

Patrol - 

Doggy: 1 x 0.5 = 0.5 (BF walked dog while I made dinner cause it got delayed by work/grocery run/actual run)

1 ish mile run. IDK i thought I set the fitbit but i really didnt. Was about 10 min.

Diet-

Snacking - minimal

Dessert - 2 sm pc chocolate

Alcohol - 2 units.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arrowan said:

I can see how that race might be emotionally draining as well as physically taxing. But that's a very nice way to honor someone's memory. I'm glad you could do it. 

Good job posting and keeping track of progress. Looks like you're doing just fine!

Thanks for the support. I think overall it was just a really rough week. But I'm on vacation tomorrow through the weekend so I'll get some time to mentally recover.

So.... I went on vacation last week and fell out of the habit of daily posting (since usually i post from my computer at work since it is very productive... not). Anyways here is what I remember of open items from week 2. 

Week 2, Day 3 (Tuesday)

Patrol:

Went for a run that I forgot to track. But hey, I did go out and run. Let's say a 10 min mile?

Snacks:

No dessert. I think I was good on snacks so lets call that an A. 

No idea for alcohol - probably 3 units? Seems to be what I tend to have

Week 2, Day 4 (Wednesday)

Patrol:

Had a half day at work - so I left 2 hours early (yep...) then got some shopping done - dog food and book stuff. 

Played with doggy in the yard for a bit but honestly I don't really remember 

Snacks:

No dessert. I think I was good on snacks so lets call that an A. 

No idea for alcohol - probably 3 units?

Week 2, Day 5 (Thursday)

Patrol:

Had a day off work (yay) so I took doggy on an adventure. Not really a walking adventure, more like drive visit some family.

Then I went to a concert at night so made conscious decision to postpone the run 

Snacks:

No dessert (I TURNED DOWN A COOKIE FROM GRANDMA GUYS!) 

I think I was good on snacks so lets call that an A. 

No idea for alcohol - probably 4-5 units cause I had at least 2 beers at concert, one after and probably one or 2 before.

Week 2, Day 6 (Friday)

Patrol:

Short morning walk. Then long 7hr drive, followed by another short walk (and some doggy meet & greet between my dog and my mom's new rescue)

Snacks:

No dessert. We also brought no human snacks for drive which was probably dumb...(A)

Alcohol = 1 beer, 2-3 glasses of red wine

Week 2, Day 7 (Saturday)

Patrol:

Still on vacation. BF took doggy on long walk while I went for run. 13 min of hilly running (that was a struggle) then I found BF and doggy and used that as an excuse to walk with them. Still working on walk separation anxiety (aka doggy freaks out if BF or I walk away from leash range. Trust me, he does it every time. My only complaint from vacation with doggy - so room for improvement there).

THEN I did a strength workout, taking advantage of my mom's home gym (and mentally deciding what I would like to buy instead of keeping my unused gym membership)

Then we went for an adventure to cool little New England town that is super dog friendly. And another evening walk. My fitbit said 15K steps - and most of those were with doggy. 

Snacks:

Yes - split cake thing w BF.

Otherwise minimal snacking.(A)

Alcohol .... not sure I wanna admit it :P

• Like 2

Week 3, Day 1 (Sunday)

Patrol:

30 min walk with doggy in the morning, followed by driving home (which took another 7 hours but we also stopped of at a friend's house so...)

Food

Dessert - Just a pc of dark chocolate when we got home. I did really well resisting buying a donut when stopping at a rest area after a long line of terrible traffic. 

Snacks - I was pretty bad when i got home. But again.... didn't really bring food on the way home. 

Alcohol - 4 units (3 beer, 1 whisky)

Week 3, Day 2 (Monday)

Patrol:

Didn't really track. Was off for the day, so we walked, played in the back and then planned out garden stuff. Also slept. A lot. Driving (I mean sitting in traffic) takes a lot out of you....

Food

Dessert - nope. :)

Snacks - D - we didn't really have food in the house until i went shopping around 5PM so I had a lot of snacky stuff like trail mix

Alcohol - ?

Week 3, Day 3 (Tuesday)

Patrol:

2x0.41 mi with doggy

No running :(

Food

Snacks - D - Still not doing great with snacks after coming home - maybe im not eating enough at lunch? 

Alcohol - 3-4 beers

Week 3, Day 3 (Wednesday)

Patrol:

0.5+0.41 mi with doggy

30 min yoga!! Which felt awesome and I really needed it. Some poses were too advanced for me tho. kinda tempted to try out the NF Yoga stuff

Food

Snacks - B - Much better. Still very hungry after lunch, but I waited for yoga time for just 2 handfuls trailmix/cashews

Alcohol - 3-4 beers?

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 4 (Thursday)

Patrol:

0.5+0.41 mi with doggy - it's been really hot in the evenings so we have been spending more time just hanging in the back yard

no running - was very hot. I think I need to switch to morning running attempts.

Food

Dessert - nope. :)

Snacks - B - Doing better, had slice of bread after I came home from food shopping.But I resisted buying pastries and cookies even tho I shopped hungry. Also bough more gum.

Alcohol - 2 beers

• Like 1