Noob to Legendary: The Adventure Begins

crummie85

I am completely new at this part of the rebellion. I have been working on simple things but have never really had the motivation or the willpower to keep my journey somewhere. I have been a member here for a while and I fell off the bandwagon pretty bad and had a lot of ground to cover. I will succeed where I failed before. 

So to begin, I'm listing my challenge goals (modified from the suggested list - because I have no clue what I'm doing) and I will endeavor to keep a log of my progress.

For my 4 week challenge, I will complete the following goals:

Nutrition Goals

Eat a vegetable with one meal every day

Take one processed snack you have each day and replace it with a healthy protein, fruit, or vegetable

Fitness Goal

Complete the modified bodyweight workout at least 3x a week

Personal Goal

Say one positive thing to yourself each day (this one is a tough one for me. I have really low self-esteem and I put myself down a lot.)

I've kind of been doing some of this already, but I feel that it is important to keep a public log of my accomplishments. (Utilizing the power of positive peer pressure! :P)

I will post each week if I was able to complete the goals for the week, and I will not give up if I mess up - I will come back stronger. 

14c9rwg.gif

• Like 2

Mary | crummie85

"I will never give up... I will never give up! As long I'm still breathing in this world... As long I'm still standing, I will never give up!"

- Natsu

Beautiful goals! So simple but enough to build momentum. Every journey starts with one step! Do you know what kind of vegetables you plan on adding to your meals? I found that I dislike most plain, raw vegetables, as well as steamed so I had a hard time eating them until I realized duh, I could cook them!

• Like 1

Right now I'm focusing on eating veggies that I can get my husband to eat - mostly broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, and a small variety of fruits. I like raw carrots, and try to have a sandwich bag of those made for me to snack on while I'm at work. I'm slowly trying to update our options, and try to get my husband to try new things as well (he's the picky eater of the family), as there are a lot of foods that I want to experiment with, but can't see buying them and then wasting them because I'd only be the one to eat them.

My biggest personal challenge will be to try to eat a sweet potato - and actually like it. I've decided that I can't say I don't like something if I had it one way when I was a child and haven't tried it any other way simply because of a bad experience. I'm like that with squash too. 

I could use any advice anyone has had on different ways to prepare healthy veggies and keep them from tasting bland. 

• Like 2

Mary | crummie85

"I will never give up... I will never give up! As long I'm still breathing in this world... As long I'm still standing, I will never give up!"

- Natsu

That actually sounds really good, and considering it's Friday, and I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I can get all my ingredients. 

Mary | crummie85

- Natsu

I ashamedly have to admit that I don't watch Archer. Everyone I know has told me that it's something I'd like, so I need to watch it. 

However, I do love a good pun... And that was awesome!

Mary | crummie85

- Natsu

I love sweet potatoes, but I always tend to think of them as a dessert type item because I usually have them with a dash of cinnamon and butter. I love roasted anything, it's super simple to do and pretty much a staple in my diet. My favorites include broccoli and cauliflower. Tomatoes are great sliced up into bite sized pieces, mixed in a bowl with some olive oil, salt, garlic, pepper, and then sauteed. It tastes JUST like pizza sauce! 

It is hard sometimes to make things as we don't want to waste them, but if you are the only one eating it, it often doesn't all get eaten before it goes bad 

• Like 1

Love the positive mindset goal! I used to repeat a positive mantra "I am strong, I am beautiful, I am powerful" I found having the same one to stick to meant less brain power trying to come up with nice things about myself. The other thing I have tried is Googling a massive list and then I just had to choice one, again cutting down thinking and any possibility of negativity creeping in! 

• Like 1

Skye Rose - Seeking Balance 
Current Challenge

Inspiration and genius--one and the same. - Victor Hugo

Fall seven times and stand up eight - Japanese proverb

Thanks! I think I'm going to try the diced tomatoes recipe, that sounds amazing! I will definitely be trying to experiment with adding different options for sweet potatoes as well. I suppose this is one that I just have to dive into and see what happens.

Mary | crummie85

- Natsu

On 5/7/2016 at 5:24 AM, SkyeRose said:

Love the positive mindset goal! I used to repeat a positive mantra "I am strong, I am beautiful, I am powerful" I found having the same one to stick to meant less brain power trying to come up with nice things about myself. The other thing I have tried is Googling a massive list and then I just had to choice one, again cutting down thinking and any possibility of negativity creeping in! 

That actually helps quite a bit, I may have to edit my challenge to be some type of mantra. I just have not read one that 100% gets me going, but that idea makes it a lot easier to accomplish. Thanks for the advice!

Mary | crummie85

- Natsu

Update: Definitely tried the roasted sweet potatoes last night, and definitely did something wrong.

I cut up one small sweet potato, and brushed it with oil and seasonings, and then baked it for about 30 min at 400 degrees. they smelled awesome but tasted like mush.

My next question would be - are they always that mushy? I really have an issue with that texture, is there any way to make them soft but not mushy?

Mary | crummie85

- Natsu

On 5/9/2016 at 7:17 AM, crummie85 said:

Update: Definitely tried the roasted sweet potatoes last night, and definitely did something wrong.

I cut up one small sweet potato, and brushed it with oil and seasonings, and then baked it for about 30 min at 400 degrees. they smelled awesome but tasted like mush.

My next question would be - are they always that mushy? I really have an issue with that texture, is there any way to make them soft but not mushy?

Unfortunately I know very little about sweet potatoes, I'm not much of a fan. Did you figure something out?