• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alaysia

New Warrior Training

Hi. First Challenge. First weightlifting program. First time thinking of myself as a lifter.

I'm looking forward to making new friends and cheering others on!

Did my first day yesterday and though I'm sore, I was way proud of myself. Way more proud of any sort of endurance exercise I've ever done. I did barbell squats and had to tell everyone about it. So, yeah, lifting is for me.

My chosen quests are:

Fitness: Lift three times a week. I've already marked my days down on my calendar, so there should be limited interruptions to the plan. I have to start the habit before I seriously focus on getting heavier, I figure. I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Food: Get my protein up. I'm an herbivore, mainly, so this is going to be a challenge. Must feed the muscles. Looking to get at least 60 grams of protein each day of this challenge.

LevelUpMyLife: Practice Spanish 10 minutes a day. I want to travel more, especially to Peru. So this is an important bit of the plan. It also ties into making myself an employee everyone will want.

Ok, hope I figured this out and did it right. If not, constructive criticism is always happily accepted.

2e92a77b_47674010.jpeg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Ok, hope I figured this out and did it right. If not, constructive criticism is always happily accepted.

Hi!  Looks good!

I have read some NRoL, but not NRoL for women, obviously.  I am curious what your program looks like.

• Like 1

Thank you, RedStone. Appreciate the welcome. The thing with vegetarian protein eating is that it is totally being done out there, both by endurance and power-lifting athletes. I just gotta figure out what works for me. And I still eat a bit of seafood and some eggs. So, I should be able to figure it out, eventually. Heh. 

Sam, thanks! NRoL4W and Stronglifts are the only two programs I'm familiar with, so far. Stronglifts, though I'm told is good for beginners, seemed a little too much for me. But I read New Rules, cover to cover, and really dug it. I like how bare bones the author is and I think it gives a solid plan. I like plans. I need a map for everything.

Right now, in stage one, there are A and B workouts which are full body. So I have to take a rest between them. A has barbell squats, step-ups, pushups, seated rows, and prone jackknifes (which were the hardest to do in the gym since my butt goes up in the air lol). Workout B has deadlifts (So excited to get to those), dumb bell shoulder presses, wide-grip lat pull downs, lunges and crunches on a ball. I do stage one for about 6 weeks, increasing weight and lowering reps (or increasing intensity with push-ups and crunches) as I go. I haven't seen what the next stages are in case I get too intimidated. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the Warriors.

NROLfW, is where I started and absolutely loved it. Once I had finished the program, I then started SL. It was a great way to start a love of lifting.

Good luck with your Challenge.

• Like 2

Interesting. NRoL hates bench press, doesn't it? They advocate a push exercise. They include bench press but recommend so many other push exercises.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Hey hey hey! Love seeing another female warrior around here! Welcome to the madhouse!

I started out with StrongLifts so don't know NROLFW at all. I'll be really interested to see how you get on!

What are your favourite herbivorous protein sources? I use a lot of pea protein and rice protein in baking and I'm not at all adverse to a fair wodge of tofu, but always interested to see what others eat. :) (I'm a greetin'-faced carnivore but do love all foods.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, evabo said:

Welcome, fellow lifter! Liftress?

19 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

OOH! I like that!

Liftress Mistress?

(...too far?)

• Like 2

Thank you for the amazing welcome! Man, I'm so glad I went with my nerd instincts on this and joined in, here. Other forums that are populated by "commoners" are typically quiet and very, very meh. You all rock!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 5:41 PM, SevenofSeven said:

NROLfW, is where I started and absolutely loved it. Once I had finished the program, I then started SL. It was a great way to start a love of lifting.

This is my plan, too! I'm so glad that it's a win!

22 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Thank you for the amazing welcome! Man, I'm so glad I went with my nerd instincts on this and joined in, here. Other forums that are populated by "commoners" are typically quiet and very, very meh. You all rock!

Dark_Side_has_Cookies_____by_TakoroMisas

(cookies that fit your macros perfectly, of course)

Glad to have you, and looking forward to watching you start your journey!

• Like 4

On 5/4/2016 at 8:30 PM, Sam Ashen said:

Interesting. NRoL hates bench press, doesn't it? They advocate a push exercise. They include bench press but recommend so many other push exercises.

The authors advocate using exercises that utilize more muscles in the move. Not too big on isolation exercises. As someone who started by messing about on machines, it was scary to step away from those types of moves and just stand out there, (figuratively) naked and alone with weights in my hands. And while New Rules is against back support on shoulder presses because of the restriction of shoulder blade movement, they do include bench presses, you're right. The book says, "...you don't really use your shoulder blades in the bench press as much as you'd think. As you get stronger and more serious about lifting, you'll learn to pull your shoulder blades together in back, and hold them there throughout the lift. That technique shortens the range of motion, which in turn allows you to lift more weights. If you do nothing but bench presses --if you never mix in push-ups and standing shoulder presses, which allow free scapular movement-- you'll eventually mess up your shoulders. Even worse, you could feel the injury in your neck, rather than your shoulders, and never suspect it had anything to do with too much bench pressing."

I include that direct quote to offer it up for discussion fodder. 

On 5/4/2016 at 3:39 AM, SpecialSundae said:

What are your favourite herbivorous protein sources? I use a lot of pea protein and rice protein in baking and I'm not at all adverse to a fair wodge of tofu, but always interested to see what others eat. :) (I'm a greetin'-faced carnivore but do love all foods.)

I'm coming from a severe calorie-restricted diet background so I haven't baked in so long. Soooo loooong. I think one of the reasons I looked past the testosterone fog that surrounds lifting is that I heard rumours one was allowed to actually eat while getting lean and mean. But I've recently gotten into cooking with more tofu, actually. I love a good stir-fry. I was reading elsewhere on here about the power of lentils, so I'm going to try a few curries, too. Currently, I've been using a plant-based protein powder for my smoothies, and that's helping. I'm going out to find pea and rice protein sources so I can bake! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

you'll learn to pull your shoulder blades together in back, and hold them there throughout the lift. That technique shortens the range of motion, which in turn allows you to lift more weights. If you do nothing but bench presses --if you never mix in push-ups and standing shoulder presses, which allow free scapular movement-- you'll eventually mess up your shoulders. Even worse, you could feel the injury in your neck, rather than your shoulders, and never suspect it had anything to do with too much bench pressing."

My coach was just teaching me to do this the other day.  It makes me feel more stable and he says it will help to avoid injury when weights get truly heavy.

I think his cue was "put your shoulders in your back pockets".

I just did all three of this week's workouts. All three of them! And I've been practicing my Spanish each day for the past few days. I'm ready for this challenge, baby!

98579d4d0778705f839178dc6da1cdabee2f44c613b0360a3c03b093ed8a96e8.jpg

• Like 4

I don't know if I did something right, or if I did something wrong. For the first time in a week, there is no pain. A little tightness in my chest is about all there is.

But I worked out yesterday.

I did squats.

I did the dreaded push ups.

I really had to work to complete all reps.

No pain.

18-4.jpe

• Like 2