• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alaysia

New Warrior Training

On the topic of lunges and step-ups - I know they're in your program, but maybe lay off them a bit if they hurt?

With all the lower back, bottom area, the PT I saw (not your PT, I would definitely recommend seeing one on your own), said you don't want to feel pain when working out that area.

So maybe just stick to bodyweight, and if it starts to hurt, stop?

But yeah, I'd highly recommend at PT once you get all the insurance stuff figured out.

AWESOME CHALLENGE!!!!! I'm so glad you got such a strong start :D Hope to see you in the next one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

On the topic of lunges and step-ups - I know they're in your program, but maybe lay off them a bit if they hurt?

With all the lower back, bottom area, the PT I saw (not your PT, I would definitely recommend seeing one on your own), said you don't want to feel pain when working out that area.

So maybe just stick to bodyweight, and if it starts to hurt, stop?

But yeah, I'd highly recommend at PT once you get all the insurance stuff figured out.

AWESOME CHALLENGE!!!!! I'm so glad you got such a strong start :D Hope to see you in the next one!

Yeah, today is my last day with this stage in my program and I'm not going to do any lunges and see if that is what is doing it, or the deadlifts. At least I can let my doc/pt know that much.

Thank you!

• Like 1

The next stage in my program has me a little excited and a lot wigged. I start with a Front Squat/Push Press. I have more lunges, elevated rear foot in this one, that I'll have to leave out, I think until further notice. More damn push-ups. And both Wide grip deadlift from a box and bulgarian split squat, which I haven't even really looked at yet since the name alone terrifies me. And a dumbell prone cuban snatch. Again, haven't looked it up yet in fear.

This next stage has doubled the amount of moves in each workout. But I'm afraid I haven't made enough progress to warrant lower reps with more exercises.

In short, I think I'm getting overwhelmed.

So I'm looking again at Stronglifts, but don't want to wuss out on this just because there are big fancy names. But on the other hand, I'm really concerned I'm not making enough progress because nothing is really pushing me to do so. I can just cross off what I did and be done for the day, you know? No, that doesn't make sense, does it? I guess I feel Stronglifts has a built in way of getting stronger. You go up by five or work until you do. Done. It seems simple as far as gains go.

I don't know. I'll stop waffling and go do my final stage one workout. Then I'm supposed to do amrap with my starting weights to show my progress when I go back in on Wednesday. Maybe that'll make me feel better.

Congrats on a challenge well done!!!

On 6/4/2016 at 9:51 PM, Alaysia said:

Sciatica flared again today. I think it was the step-ups. They kinda work the same muscle group as lunges, yeah? Either way, owie2

Yep. they do

Curious who is doing your programming? If there are a lot of "scary" exercises or things you need to leave out, it's probably not the best program for you :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

Curious who is doing your programming? If there are a lot of "scary" exercises or things you need to leave out, it's probably not the best program for you :)

I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. Supposed to be fairly simple or beginner.

I don't like being afraid of these things and I think if I was in a personal gym I'd be ok. I'm probably really afraid of looking like an idiot in front of the bro-dudes and the women in there doing amazing things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

You are never going to look like an idiot unless you start squatting with a barbell on a fitness ball! Don't ever think that you don't belong.

Heh. No, I don't think I'll bust that move out anytime soon.

Thank you. I really need to hear that. And, moreover, to get the last part of my mind to believe it.

3 hours ago, Alaysia said:

I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. Supposed to be fairly simple or beginner.

I don't like being afraid of these things and I think if I was in a personal gym I'd be ok. I'm probably really afraid of looking like an idiot in front of the bro-dudes and the women in there doing amazing things.

Everything new will make you feel like an idiot the first few times you do it in front of other people. My new program is half stuff I've been doing for months and half stuff I've never seen anyone do ever. I'm wrapping up week 2 and I feel silly doing squats while pulling a cable as a rotational back row, but you gotta feel silly for a few weeks to rise up and meet challenges. 

Think of anyone who started a new job, does it feel comfortable on day one with new colleagues and new environment? Probably not. 

The real question is if you feel ready to try the new exercises, not whether you will feel like an idiot. You have infinity options but a few stand out to me: a) re-run the first part of NROLFW b ) start phase 2 and see how it feels after giving it a few weeks, you can always revert back to phase 1 or c) try a totally different program.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Alaysia said:

EVERYONE starts somewhere, and everyone in there is doing exactly what we're doing - trying to get fitter and stronger! I know I respect the effort when I see someone working hard on the reg, regardless of what they're doing or pulling. 20 seconds of courage! We're all in the same boat, bros included.

VNfKark.gif

^>.>

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

EVERYONE starts somewhere, and everyone in there is doing exactly what we're doing - trying to get fitter and stronger! I know I respect the effort when I see someone working hard on the reg, regardless of what they're doing or pulling. 20 seconds of courage! We're all in the same boat, bros included.

VNfKark.gif

^>.>

I'm afraid to ask what you googled to find that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm afraid to ask what you googled to find that. 

LOL I almost didn't post it... but it was just too weird not to. Giphy search = Bro Hug :P 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

The real question is if you feel ready to try the new exercises, not whether you will feel like an idiot. You have infinity options but a few stand out to me: a) re-run the first part of NROLFW b ) start phase 2 and see how it feels after giving it a few weeks, you can always revert back to phase 1 or c) try a totally different program.

I think this is excellent advice. Unless you don't want to repeat Phase 1 because of lunges? I think you'd be fine taking them out, while continuing the rest of the program as normal.

I don't usually do lunges (but I deeply despise them, so grain of salt).

I will say the simplicity of StrongLifts is what got me into lifting. If I had to figure out a bunch of new exercises, I don't think I would have done it. I would have just.... procrastinated. I believe the NF term is 'collecting underpants'.

With SL, I just had to look at form videos for three things the first day, and then two things for the next workout. Only 5 exercises means more focus on those 5, so I felt like I got stronger faster.

How long have you been doing NROLFW? Is it just this challenge?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

I think this is excellent advice. Unless you don't want to repeat Phase 1 because of lunges? I think you'd be fine taking them out, while continuing the rest of the program as normal.

I don't usually do lunges (but I deeply despise them, so grain of salt).

I will say the simplicity of StrongLifts is what got me into lifting. If I had to figure out a bunch of new exercises, I don't think I would have done it. I would have just.... procrastinated. I believe the NF term is 'collecting underpants'.

With SL, I just had to look at form videos for three things the first day, and then two things for the next workout. Only 5 exercises means more focus on those 5, so I felt like I got stronger faster.

How long have you been doing NROLFW? Is it just this challenge?

Six weeks. I started just before the challenge and am finishing it up now.

I think the simplicity of Stronglifts is definitely drawing me after getting a look at the long list of new exercises for stage 2.

15 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Everything new will make you feel like an idiot the first few times you do it in front of other people. My new program is half stuff I've been doing for months and half stuff I've never seen anyone do ever. I'm wrapping up week 2 and I feel silly doing squats while pulling a cable as a rotational back row, but you gotta feel silly for a few weeks to rise up and meet challenges. 

Think of anyone who started a new job, does it feel comfortable on day one with new colleagues and new environment? Probably not. 

You are right. I've been thinking about what you said all evening and night and into this morning and you are really, really right. I'm typically a class clown, but in certain situations, I am just freaked out if I even think for a second someone is making fun of me. (I blame it on my over-critical mother, of course. And middle school. It was named after the space shuttle that blew up and that school was, indeed, a disaster. Lordy. Oh, is my time up? *gets off couch*)

I had to slowly creep into the weights area, first with the cardio machines nearest them, then onto the weight machines and then taking a casual turn through the area with my son, until finally, I picked up the barbell. And still, if there are just a few too many people in there, if I have to wait for something or even feel someone might be waiting on me (which is worse), I'll bolt. I clearly have not made that area mine, yet. When I do, hell, I'll be the damn Weight Area Greeter.

I've gotten over most of my intimidation of the moves in phase 2. I've watched some videos and am feeling a little more confident. There are 16 different exercises between the two workouts and I can do 11 of them. That's not too bad. Workout A will be my weakest since nearly half of them I can't do. But instead of doing my interval training after Workout B, I think I'll move it to after A. I don't know why the interval training would be after B, anyway, since that is definitely the harder and longer (that's what he said!) workout. So, yeah, balancing is good.

OK. As of right now, I think I've talked myself into doing a modified version of phase two. Now maybe I can start planning my next challenge. Thank you to anyone who actually read all this word vomit. Heh. But I think I got it all out of my system and I'm feeling much better now. :D

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

VNfKark.gif

^>.>

You have no idea how much I love this! I don't even care if there is a point to it, like an advertisement or something. It is just friggin' amazing in its craziness! I heart it so!

28 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

OK. As of right now, I think I've talked myself into doing a modified version of phase two. Now maybe I can start planning my next challenge. Thank you to anyone who actually read all this word vomit. Heh. But I think I got it all out of my system and I'm feeling much better now. :D

I've seen a lot bigger pile of word vomit than that. ;)  Excited to check out your new challenge!

• Like 1