• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen(ov) and the XCOMmies Fly Again!

Today was a Rest Day.  The road trip takes a little less than two hours and finding the place is not too much of a problem.  Meanwhile at Red Robin, I ate like an asshole.

Might as well summarize and close and show where it is going next.....

On 5/3/2016 at 1:17 PM, Sam Ashen said:

Goal 1: Follow BEBOP - Broki's Evil Bulgarian Olympic Program

Still going.  It really just runs one more week.  So we are looking at....

Week ending June 11 - Final working week.

Week ending June 18 - This will very likely look exactly like the week ending May 21.  Competition day.

Week ending June 25 - Guess what?  AN ENTIRE WEEK OF REST!!!!!!!

Ehhh...... now what?

Week ending July 2 - Start a new program.

Week ending July 9 - Get ready for another trip - and this is where the next Challenge Cycle officially ends.

Week end July 16 - On Vacation!

Regarding recent discussions on the programming:  Right now we are coming into summer, so there is lots of daylight time.  Energy levels are mostly okay.  Anybody have measures of psychological health?  (When I hit a wall, I hit it hard and do not realize it until long after the fact.  The last episode was about a couple of years ago.)

I do not think a schedule like this will work in the winter, because weather is unpredictable.  For winter, I am envisioning 5 out of 7 days, with one rest day most likely on Saturday and a floating rest day during the week.  That should deal with random weather events.

Goal 2: Continue tracking Macros and Weight.

Still going.  YTD average calories 3360.  Morning weight came in at 200.8 pounds / 91.1 kg.  Comparing high to high and low to low from the first week, the average weight gain on the year is 1.2 pounds / 0.55 kg.

MFP says I should be 225 pounds by now.

Current plan is to maintain, possibly experimenting with less extreme variations.

Two ideas for upcoming plans:

1. Count the extreme days per week.

2. Figure out veggies because the current lifestyle makes adding veggies difficult.

Goal 3:  Do Battle! Put up Numbers!

Battle was on May 21.  The results were:

Snatch: 55 / 60x / 60 kg

Clean and Jerk: 75 / 80 / 85 kg

The next Battle will be on June 18 and we have scores to improve on.  Not sure what the openers will look like.

Once again, I will be going it alone. :(  She explained the circumstances back on Wednesday.

Goal 4:  Stay Healthy!

Looks like I recorded 54% at the start of this Challenge Cycle.  In the week following the PL competition, any kind of press was a hard pass and I started with a hot pink dumbbell.  The last one clocked in at 85% and mobility is improving. :D

Goal 5: Adopt an XCOMmie!

Well, it was a lot of fun naming my friends.

OK.  The original XCOM really needs an Equal Opportunity mod!  Based on the random name generator, recruits are 75% male, but my online friends are pretty balanced.  So I had to reach back to find guys I knew to nickname while some of my friends get left out of the fun. :(

Then.....

Goal 6: If he dies, he dies!

Ugh!  I ran out of time and energy to play. :(

Weeknights are out of the question, given my current schedule.  That leaves a little bit of time on the weekend.

------------------------

So.  It's on to the next one and I will try to post something as soon as it comes up.  Not recycling the theme, because I am kind of done with the theme for a good while.  I am still thinking great game with crappy graphics.  Or not.  I have not yet decided.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

So.  It's on to the next one and I will try to post something as soon as it comes up.  Not recycling the theme, because I am kind of done with the theme for a good while.  I am still thinking great game with crappy graphics.  Or not.  I have not yet decided.

I vote the original Shining Force!

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How about Wolfenstien 3d? As in the original shareware version?

Lololololol

bcw_play1.gif

16 hours ago, Grymm said:

I vote the original Shining Force!

PC.  I do not know where to find it on a PC.  In all fairness, the picture I linked above is most likely Apple.  However.  I did play a little bit of Bard's Tale on an Apple emulator.

I fell behind in posting food pr0n.  From yesterday:

First of all, if it is too thick to fit through the straw, then it does not count as liquid calories.

WBgYkl.jpg

Right?

Then.  Typical burger and fries.

GFcjpX.jpg

Okay.  Chili Burger.  Looks like I can count the individual fries.

And dessert, as if I did not already have one.

UX46JO.jpg

I showed it to a kid in the church this morning and she correctly identified it!  She cannot believe I ate all the items I showed her in a single sitting.

• Like 3

Today's work - once again playing virtual meet.

Snatch Singles at 64, 74, 84, 94, 104 pounds

Snatch Singles at 94, 104, 114, 124 pounds

Snatch Singles at 114, 124, 134, 139, 144 pounds

The last three reps are on video.

Clean and Jerk Singles at 134, 144, 154, 164 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 154, 164, 174, 184 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 174, 184, 194, 199 pounds

The last three reps are on video.

Front-Squats, 3x184, 3x3x234 pounds

Clean Pulls, 4x3x234 pounds

Walking Lunges 4x20x25 pounds - in between sets.  25 pound plate overhead

Score for Today:

3305 Calories

397 Carbs

132 Fat

160 Protein

+1.8 Overall

• Like 4

It looks to me like you have a lot more power than technique right now.  That's great because you can probably move more weight with practice even without gains.  The major points of the lifts you nail.  High five!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

It looks to me like you have a lot more power than technique right now.

Pretty much.  Snatches one and three were caught way above parallel and then I dropped a good foot.  Snatch two was also caught above parallel, but the right arm was bent and that straightened out on the way down.  Same thing with the cleans.

Jerks........  I think just need a lot of practice.

The rest of it I will discuss with Broki to see what her feedback is.  Not sure if there is much that can be done over the next two weeks.

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

High five!

Hey thanks!

I know next to nothing about olympic lifting, but those looked stable. Looks like you caught it high too, like I think you can add more and sink lower before catching? soooo speed or something? idk. what I'm trying to say is

GOOD JOB

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, Sam Ashen said:

Regarding recent discussions on the programming:  Right now we are coming into summer, so there is lots of daylight time.  Energy levels are mostly okay.  Anybody have measures of psychological health?  (When I hit a wall, I hit it hard and do not realize it until long after the fact.  The last episode was about a couple of years ago.)

When you figure this out, let me know?

I have a rough gauge of "am I happy more often than I am unhappy?" - if answer is no, then I need to change something

Or "stressed more often than not stressed?" [all of this has been out of the window lately for me with the thesis/defense thing, but it's my typical gauge]

Oh, and "do I have things I'm looking forward to?"

Apologies if this is not what you meant, and you meant just with respect to lifting, not life.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I know next to nothing about olympic lifting, but those looked stable. Looks like you caught it high too, like I think you can add more and sink lower before catching? soooo speed or something? idk. what I'm trying to say is

GOOD JOB

Thanks. :)

I get it that Olympic lifting is kind of like a foreign language to most people here.  For a scathing review, here is the Form Check.  I have not responded yet, but it sounds like he is describing a chain reaction.  (Currently I like to post something up there every once in a while to get an outside opinion on where my lift is.)

A lot happens in a very short time.  Some people break it down into three pulls.  Some break it down into two pulls.  The pull that is supposed to start at the hip is starting closer to the knee and the consequence is the bar is too far forward or the bar path is not straight up.  In Mechanical Engineering terms or in Civil Engineering terms, a moment is introduced.  (In Electrical Engineering terms, a moment is introduced, but nobody can see it.)  The snatch weight is approximately to the order of what I can strict press, and quite a bit less than what I weigh.  So he says basically I get away with it because I muscle it into position.

Therefore, there is a big difference between what I am lifting and what I can lift.  The rule of thumb I was given is 60% of (High Bar) Back Squat for Snatch and 75% of (High Bar) Back Squat for Clean and Jerk.  (Assuming no significant difference between my PR Low Bar and High Bar, then that would be 204 pounds / 254 pounds.)

Not sure what order we are going through the issues.  I get the impression MB is taking a "bottom up" approach and therefore my programming has a lot of pulls.  Pull from the ground to the hips.  (It is NOT a deadlift!)  Pull from the knees to the hips.  Coming soon:  Pull upwards from the hips.  It is NOT an upright row!

Over the past year, I learned that getting this down requires a lot of dedicated practice as opposed to dabbling every other week or so.

Coming up starting the final week of June will be a hybrid program to get ready for Camp.

27 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

When you figure this out, let me know?

I have a rough gauge of "am I happy more often than I am unhappy?" - if answer is no, then I need to change something

Or "stressed more often than not stressed?" [all of this has been out of the window lately for me with the thesis/defense thing, but it's my typical gauge]

Oh, and "do I have things I'm looking forward to?"

Apologies if this is not what you meant, and you meant just with respect to lifting, not life.

This is exactly what I meant.

Currently, I can identify a life issue that really needs a change - but that change requires a certain amount of energy and some more mashing of the "Action" button.  It currently does not cause stress all of the time - just from time to time.

The lifting schedule right now is a distraction and does not trouble me too much as of yet.  Measuring what time I post on MTWTF is an indicator.  I can list some positives and negatives about this.  (At least it is still currently ME time because I also chose this schedule for myself.)

Long term, I think I would do better with a 5-day schedule in summer months, with one fixed rest day per week and one floating rest day per week, and a 4-day schedule in winter months.

• Like 2

...and I continue to suck at playing out video games. :(

Meanwhile on Earth......

Screenshot_505.jpg

One by one, the XCOMmie nation submit to Alien control.  The very next year, GWB is elected President of the USA.  The rest is history.

JK! :P

I will revisit the game sometime much later.  I'm just feeling XCOMmied out.

Here is a happier ending screen.....

85-xcom921a.png

...and this calls for some kind of warp in the space-time continuum.......

• Like 2