• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen(ov) and the XCOMmies Fly Again!

So.  Rest Day.  Took a road trip into Minneapolis to figure out where I was going to be next week and how to find it.  Parking is another story.  It looks like I will be finding parking somewhere in Egypt and walking to Somalia.

The city skyline is such a beautiful sight...... in the rear view mirror.

My XCOMmie game is in late January and we are on our fifth mission.  I am working some kind of rotation to make it look fair.  Not sure how much AAR I might be able to provide.

Score for Today:

3268 Calories

330 Carbs

138 Fat

185 Protein

Who can tell I went to Dairy Queen today?  I was behind quite a line of baseball kids and parents, too.  How often to parents take their kids out for lunch or dinner after practice?  I grew up kind of nowhere and I seem to remember just coming home for supper or something.  Different story if we were far away.  Hmm.  I should ask my parents the next time they call.  Maybe why people I work with think nokidsthereforemultimillionaire.

+7.9 Overall

• Like 4

Week 1 Summary for what it's worth:

On 5/3/2016 at 1:17 PM, Sam Ashen said:

Goal 1: Follow BEBOP - Broki's Evil Bulgarian Olympic Program

The program is also known as SEDJEN.

Took Rest Day today and will do Saturday's work tomorrow.  I still don't have a program for the Competition week and am hopeful for a Rest Day on Monday.  Whatever it is, it will be very light.  We are testing out openers on Tuesday.

She commented I was pretty fatigued on Tuesday.  (Who wants to call her Sherlock?)  Wednesday was a light day.

Also need a plan for the week following the Meet.  Most likely it is rest on Sunday and resume on Monday May 23.

Goal 2: Continue tracking Macros and Weight.

Yup.  YTD average is still looking like 3400.  Last week was somewhat below average.  The average of the last two weeks is pretty average.  The average of the last three weeks is ever so slightly above average.  No detectable trend in weight.

Goal 3:  Do Battle! Put up Numbers!

We are testing Openers on Tuesday.  I think I am looking at 55 kg for a Snatch and 70 kg for a Clean and Jerk.  The issue is very clearly technique and not strength.  My objective will be to walk out of there with a clean lift on the board.

Goal 4:  Stay Healthy!

Well, I think shoulder mobility is improving and it is being reflected in bigger presses.  I even forgot to use "Poverty" in one of my logs!  Latest shoulder condition is a little over 75%.

Goal 5: Adopt an XCOMmie!

We are rotating through 20 XCOMmies and I am trying my best with the names.

Unfortunately there is a mismatch between the male / female ratio of XCOMmies and NF Friends.  So please be patient and I will try to be fair.

I quickly and quietly fixed a typo in one of the names.  Emma Dragonov should have been Emma Dragonova.  Oops.

Goal 6: If he dies, he dies!

Week 0 Missions:

Mission 1 - Crash Recovery 2 - EPIC FAIL!  I just couldn't take it.

Mission 2 - Crash Recovery 1 - Neutral.  Just a simple one-alien kill.  One-shot.

Missions Played:  2

Missions Reloaded: 1

XCOMmie Body Count: 0

Alien Invader Body Count: 5

Week 1 Missions:

Mission 3 - Crash Recovery 3 - Neutral.  Another single-alien kill.

Mission 4 - Crash Recovery 4 - Neutral.  Intense.

Missions Played:  4

Missions Reloaded:  1

XCOMmie Body Count: 0

Alien Invader Body Count: 12

Mission 5 - Ground Assault 5 - is ready to begin.  Most likely I will play it out tomorrow and save it at the end of the mission and add it to the Week 1 Missions next week.  Ground Assault means the UFO is intact and all the Aliens are alive.  According to my information source, we are dealing with 1d6 Soldiers, 1d2 Navigators, and 1d2 Engineers.  So anywhere from 3 to 10 Aliens total.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Mission 5 - Ground Assault 5 - is ready to begin.  Most likely I will play it out tomorrow and save it at the end of the mission and add it to the Week 1 Missions next week.  Ground Assault means the UFO is intact and all the Aliens are alive.  According to my information source, we are dealing with 1d6 Soldiers, 1d2 Navigators, and 1d2 Engineers.  So anywhere from 3 to 10 Aliens total.

Another EPIC FAIL!!!  lolololol :lol:

Next up:  I just rediscovered that two MiG's with the Avalanche Missiles can take down a Terror Ship.  I remember one of my buddies from University celebrating this discovery.  Not nearly so many BS Terror Missions!

So most likely some crash recovery of a Terror Ship somewhere in the Sahara Desert - with XCOMmies well supplied like XCOMmies.

7 Rifles.  7 Clips.  I never bought extra ammo! :lol:  Of course back in time I can fix that, but I am so not big on rifles.

1 Laser Rifle.  Besides.  Eventually we will have the Laser Rifles.

4 Rocket Launchers + 16 Large Rockets

2 Heavy Cannons serving as RPG's

1 Auto Cannon

5 Smokes

5 Stun Rods (clubs)

Enough Laser Pistols

Lots of High Explosives and Grenades

------------------------------------------------------------

Snatch Singles: 64, 74, 84, 94, 99 pounds

Snatch Singles: 94, 99, 104, 109, 114, 119 pounds

Snatch Singles: 114, 119, 124 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles: 134, 144, 154, 159 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles: 154, 164, 174, 179 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles: 174, 179, 184 pounds

Front Squats: 3x134, 3x184, 3x3x224 pounds

Clean Pulls: 3x3x224 pounds

Took videos of a 114 pound Snatch and a 154 pound Clean and Jerk.  I have been too lazy to upload these to YouTube for a very long time.  Sorry. :(

Score for Today:

3246 Calories

221 Carbs

165 Fat

166 Protein

+2.5 Overall

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

It's been a while for me.  That one of the bosses?

It's an old adventuring puzzle game, not quite as involved, but had it's moments. Didn't survive the mac OS update from classic and I haven't found a decent version since :( 

pkQ4wKb.png

I suppose it kind of does look like that.  The game play is kind of exactly as described in the trailer video.  Exactly.

Started from the top.  The tutorial missions are still funny.  The story line is as stupid simple and as creatively unimaginative as one can get.  It is an indie game.  So I guess this guy has been through a lot of incredibly unimaginative gaming scenarios. :lol:

Well.  The boss fights are kind of creative and well done:

hqdefault.jpg

Rest Day.  Fixed myself a Pizza.  Hindsight says I should have fixed Chili to feed the next two or three days.  But I played Desktop Dungeons instead.

Score for Today:

3410 Calories

379 Carbs

133 Fat

196 Protein

+9.4 Overall

• Like 6

Gotta love that hindsight. ;) P.S. I'm diggin' that creepy goat. We've been playing the board game Zombicide, I should write the creators and let them know they need a zombie goat expansion pack. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Your rest day pics are the best :)

I'm sad I don't have a soldier, but I'm also patient.

I should have just let the dice just fly in Mission 5.  Large Scouts are ugly!  So many bad corners and ways to get killed!

LargeScout.gif

I would have a ton of new recruits to name.....

13 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

b6c688b75a67a62b81c5112d3f7ec3fe.jpg

I was trying to come up with some name to go with Elvie, but now I am thinking:

Evil Keneva

:devilish:

• Like 5

Very light today.

Snatch Singles at 64, 74, 84, 94, 104, 3 x 114

2 Snatch Single Fails at 124 - just missing that groove

1 Snatch Single at 114

2 Power Snatch Singles at 124

Clean and and Double Jerks at 134, 154

Clean and Jerk Singles at 2x164, 2x174

And that's about it.  So open Snatch at 55 kg and if it gives me grief, then just power snatch it.  Open Clean and Jerk at 75 kg.  I am told it is a beginner meet and I should be in the middle and I will see a lot of power snatches and muscle snatches.

And hey!  I will take those two Snatch Fails for a Snatch like this any day!

Score for Today:

2745 Calories

272 Carbs

115 Fat

180 Protein

-1.2 Overall

• Like 4

On 5/12/2016 at 8:44 PM, Sam Ashen said:
Chiropractor.  Haircut.  Took a very light day today.

Chiropractor followed by lifting seems very counter intuitive to me.... but then again I have never been to a chiropractor.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:43 PM, Sam Ashen said:

I signed up for the hot dog eating contest following the weightlifting contest!  'Dat look.  JK.

Hot dog eating is technical and I have no concept of the technique.

YASSS!!!

we have the next Joey muthafuckin Chestnut on our hands!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaarawy said:

HOT DOG EATING CONTEST?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!?

I was joking.  The look I got was priceless - maybe even more so than the look I got for teasing a fellow Warrior on a cut. :panda:

---------------------------------------------------

That Snatch video makes me think of this scene from Star Wars.

Meanwhile, it felt kind of weird talking about that Star Wars scene to a Millennial non-Nerd.

So.... how old were you when you watched Star Wars?

Wore my "The Empire Lifts Back" shirt last night.  I was about 7 when The Empire Strikes Back came out.  I remember the toys and I remember re-enacting scenes.

-------------------

The analogy is if you hit it, you hit it.  You miss it, you miss it.  It's no good.

USE THE FORCE, LUKE!

• Like 6

Meanwhile the subject of cutting came up in several places, so I will discuss what I learned here.  Enter Alan Thrall who provides so much useful information:

So what I get from this:

1.  In a sharp contrast with what seems to be a majority of NF Rebels, Alan Thrall apparently believes Hydrostatic weighing is still the Gold Standard of Body Fat Testing.  My own take on it is I suppose they easily calibrate the system by performing autopsies on the ones who drown.  An autopsy is exact.  (I forget what the Hydrostatic guy said about DEXA Scans.)

2.  I got 5 out of 15 on the test.  Statistically average.

3.  No, I do not have any current plans to do a Hydrostatic weighing.  For me, I believe a tape measure is good enough.  The tape measure says 18% to 20%, but I have not calibrated it recently.  Dead reckoning says 20%.  (I believe my LBM is 160 and I weigh 200.  Therefore my BF% is 20%.)

4.  I do not use the LBM method to calculate daily calorie requirements.  However, I do have four and a half months of solid data where I have averaged 3400 Calories and my weight has not changed significantly.

5.  The big take I got from the video is Alan Thrall saying the key to reducing Body Fat is consistency.  And *that* is why MM condemns big ranges in calorie intake.

6.  If I were to cut, then I would shoot for 3250±250 Calories on training days and 2250±250 Calories on non-training days.  This is trying to target a maximum deficit of 500 Calories, a minimum of 0, and an average of 250.

7. The effect of a huge range between low Calorie Days and IfItFitsMyMouth Days is cutting and bulking the same few pounds and no real change in body composition.

8.  The Hydrostatic Weighing Guy also said half a pound of LBM per month is an incredible rate.  So if my LBM reckoning is correct, then my current weight should be good for about 4 years.

The main reason for cutting would be to get to a lower weight class (85 kg / 187 pounds) and therefore be more competitive.  Given my lifts, I see no point at this time.  In order to not qualify for next year's Beginner's Meet, I need a total of 200 kg at the 85 kg class or 210 kg at the 94 kg class.  Basically my lifts would have to improve by 50%.

My lifts are currently a skill issue and not a strength issue.  So my main focus should be on working that skill.

But since it seems people are asking me, I will ask. :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

But since it seems people are asking me, I will ask. :)

Short term:  Does not matter.  85 kg.  94 kg.  Lifts are still not really competitive.

Switching ever so briefly to PL, I have the MN Raw records for the Old Farts 1A Division as:

83 kg: 237.5 kg + 162.5 kg + 250 kg

93 kg: 255 kg + 170 kg + 250 kg

So from a PL point of view, one year to gain 35 kg - assuming one of those Hairy Wookies does not hit 40 first.  The weight class does not matter.

From a WL point of view - Get a total over 200 kg and then figure out what weight class I am more likely to hit.

She also thinks she can get me to drop 10 pounds in one week.  So at 200 as of this morning, 187 is not that far away.

Long term:  It just depends on how strong I get.

105 kg.  nopenopenopenopenopenope - The way things have been going this year, I would have to make more diet fixes to hit 105 kg than I would to hit 85 kg.  I suppose there is always GOMAD.  But my fridge is not big enough and I'm not buying another fridge and I'm not going to the grocery store three times a week.  Besides.  No point.  I'm fat enough as it is.

Discussed openers.  55 kg Snatch which I decided is going to be a *screw it* Power Snatch.  Besides.  There is really no reason to drop down an entire foot if I really pull it that high.  75 kg Clean and Jerk.

-----------------------------------------------------------

More talking than lifting today. :lol:

Power Snatches at 64, 74, 84

Snatch Pull + Power Snatch: 8x2x94 pounds

Clean Pull + Clean + Double Jerk:  2x114 pounds, 6x134 pounds

Score for Today:

3039 Calories

288 Carbs

115 Fat

181 Protein

+3.0 Overall

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Meanwhile the subject of cutting came up in several places, so I will discuss what I learned here.  Enter Alan Thrall who provides so much useful information:

Did I miss the point where they said how accurate this test is or did they sweep it under the rug?

I didn't write it down but as far as I recall I was not correct in any of the estimations.

Did I miss the point where they said how accurate this test is or did they sweep it under the rug?

I didn't write it down but as far as I recall I was not correct in any of the estimations.

Curious. Where did they hide the bodies of the ones who drowned?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 2