• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen(ov) and the XCOMmies Fly Again!

All right!  Doing the work I was supposed to be doing on Monday! :P

Muscle Snatch Triples at 64, 74, 84 pounds

Power Snatch Triples at 94, 104, 114 pounds

Snatch Pulls at 114, 124, 134 pounds

Power Clean Triples at 134, 144, 154, 164, 174, 184 pounds

Ran Power Clean and Jerk in between at 134, 144, 154, 164, 174 pounds

High-Bar Paused Squats 5x134, 5x184, 3x5x224 pounds

Poverty Push Press 5x44, 5x94, 5x114, 5x134 pounds - Shoulder Condition: 75%

I know it is more than that, but I did not feel like push pressing my luck and I had a lot of motivation to get out of here early.

Bent-Over Rows 5x134, 5x154, 5x174 pounds

Felt hungry in the afternoon and opened up both emergency packs.  Had chili waiting for me at home.  I will try to make it last three days.  That is what I told MFP.  Then I topped off.

Score for Today:

3408 Calories

414 Carbs

108 Fat

204 Protein

+4.1 Overall

Tomorrow is another Rest Day.  We will see how I feel after those squats, since it has been a while.

• Like 2

Is it too early to ask how you feel after the squats? 

Also, I doubt you have a tasteless boring diet with your macros. ;) Or at least I hope not!

30 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Is it too early to ask how you feel after the squats?

I feel perfect.  But today is Hide from Crossfitters Rest Day.

32 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, I doubt you have a tasteless boring diet with your macros. ;) Or at least I hope not!

I found it on the internet and though it was funny. :D

The main thing is I am still tracking and have nearly five months of data.

One theory I want to test is the effect of consistency, since it was a subject of recent discussion.  Going straight for the underpants, the first thing to do would be to come up with a range:  Min - Average - Max.  As a simple example, I might have one day at 2600, one at 4700, and five days at 3300.  Average:  3400.

What always needs to be fixed is vegetables and how to get more vegetables into the diet when I have so much trouble with time at home in the evening.  One thing I am thinking about trying is starting with either cans or frozen.  Start small.  What made me think of is....

I eat packaged meals for lunch and dinner quite often.  Today I had the "Healthy Choice" Orange Sesame Chicken.  I can count the pea pods and the beans and the pieces of chicken and the grains of rice. :P

• Like 1

Someone mentioned this to me during one of my veg challenges and I really like them - pre-packaged salads. These bagged salad kits are so tasty. 10/10. Will eat them again. Not as cheap as plain vegetables but I like them. I have tried all three and they are all delicious. I don't buy them regularly but every time I go to the grocery store I check to see if they are on sale. Not sure what brand they have in ye ol' Canada though. 

chopped-salad-kits.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Not sure what brand they have in ye ol' Canada though.

I am Canadian, yes, but I currently live in Minnesota.

The last time I tried a salad, I worked with an entire head of lettuce and the other veggies that went with it.  I did not want to store it, so I forced myself to eat the entire thing.  By 8am the next morning I was ready to explode.  Thankfully nobody was using the rest room.

I might try your idea.

Right now my main source of vegetables is when I do a chili like this week, or spaghetti.

I might also do well to try another stir-fry.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Proud of you. lol

Well, it makes me happy to know that you care. :)

The next two weeks, ending June 4 and June 11, it's back to the grind.  June 18 is the big event.  I am sure you will be happy to know I have been told (so far) to take the following week off.  So three weeks of survival.

So my calendar looks like:

Week ending June 4 - BEBOP Grind

Week ending June 11 - BEBOP Grind

Week ending June 18 - Meet Prep

Week ending June 25 - OFF

Week ending July 2 - Week A1

Week ending July 9 - Week A2

Week ending July 16 - Vacation.  Unlikely to get anything done.

Week ending July 23 - Week B1

Week ending July 30 - Week B2

Week ending August 6 - Week B3

Week ending August 13 - Week B4

Week ending August 20 - Week B5

Week ending August 27 - Week B6

Week ending September 3 - Week B7

Week ending September 10 - Week B8

Week ending September 17 - Week B9

Week ending September 24 - CAAAAMMMPPPP!!!!! & CNF Informal PL Meet

The last time we talked, she counted 13 weeks between the week off following my Olympic Meet and the CNF Meet.  I am not sure she knew exactly when my vacation week was going to land.  She did say she will pick out a hybrid program for me and I have no idea what will be in it.

However, I am pretty sure it will be yet another 6 day per week Bulgarian program.  Because:

bulgaria-tourist-map.jpg

• Like 2

Oh!  Here!

On a group of beautiful deserted islands in the middle of nowhere, the following people are stranded:

two Italian men and one Italian woman

two French men and one French woman

two German men and one German woman

two Greek men and one Greek woman

two English men and one English woman

two Bulgarian men and one Bulgarian woman

two Japanese men and one Japanese woman

two Chinese men and one Chinese woman

two American men and one American woman

two Irish men and one Irish woman

One month later on these absolutely stunning deserted islands in the middle of nowhere, the following things have occurred:

One Italian man killed the other Italian man for the Italian woman.

The two French men and the French woman are living happily together in a menage-a-trois.

The two German men have a strict weekly schedule of alternating visits with the German woman.

The two Greek men are sleeping with each other and the Greek woman is cleaning and cooking for them.

The two English men are waiting for someone to introduce them to the English woman.

The two Bulgarian men took one long look at the endless ocean and another long look at the Bulgarian woman and started swimming.

The two Japanese have faxed Tokyo and are awaiting instructions.

The two Chinese men have set up a pharmacy/liquorstore/restaurant/laundry, and have gotten the woman pregnant in order to supply employees for their store.

The two American men are contemplating the virtues of suicide, because the American woman keeps on complaining about her body, the true nature of feminism, how she can do everything they can do, the necessity of fulfillment, the equal division of household chores, how sand and palm trees make her look fat, how her last boyfriend respected her opinion and treated her nicer than they do, and how her relationship with her Mother is improving, and how at least the taxes are low and it isn't raining.

The two Irish men divided the island into north and south and set up a distillery. They do not remember if sex is in the picture because it gets sort of foggy after the first few liters of coconut whiskey. But they're satisfied because at least the English aren't having any fun.

11cc33351451c911f27137421a83f883.jpg

• Like 6

Long day at the gym, of course.  It's Friday!

Muscle Snatch + Snatch Balance at 64, 64, 74, 74, 84, 84

Snatch Singles at 84, 94, 104 pounds

Snatch Singles at 94, 104, 114, 124 pounds

Snatch Singles at 114, 119, 124, 129, 134 pounds

You have seen Squat Face.  You have seen Deadlift Face.  But how about that face when I nailed that Snatch I a knew it?

Clean and Jerk Singles at 134, 154, 174 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 154, 164, 174, 184 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 174, 179, 184, 189 pounds

Not sure if there is a press-out on the right shoulder.  Silly Oly rules. :panda:

Well.  The same weight on Saturday got three white lights.

Front Squat Doubles at 184, 204, 224, 229, 234, 239, 244, 249 pounds

The last sets were getting pretty nasty looking on the second rep.

Poverty Press, sets of 5 at 44, 94, 99, 104 pounds

Shoulder Condition:  78%

Bent-Over Rows, sets of 5 at 164, 174, 184 pounds

The last set was a bit too heavy.

And that's it!  Took way too long.  It was 8:30 by the time I got out of there.

Score for Today:

3286 Calories

436 Carbs

102 Fat

175 Protein

+1.6 Overall

Average Score for Week 21

3488 Calories

375 Carbs

146 Fat

186 Protein

Soon might be running a 13-week average.

• Like 4

Since "Cardio?!? I'll lose all my gains!" is such a popular troll post, I thought I would take a very quick moment to look it up.

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/build-muscle/3313/will-cardio-ruin-my-muscle-gains

Put more simply, they thought adding cardio to weight training could increase muscle size, not reduce it. To find out they got a group of subjects to perform unilateral knee extensor exercises five weeks. They performed a 45-minute cycle with one leg, and coupled this with maximal concentric-eccentric knee extensions, done in four sets of seven reps at 75-80% of their one-rep max. The other leg was only subjected to the knee extensions. 

Test Subjects - They did not say what level their training was.  I am guessing not very high.  Don't have time right now to go through the citations.

Each subject did:

45 minute cycle + 4x7x80% leg extensions on one leg

4x7x80% leg extensions on the other leg

5 week program - They did not say how many days per week.

I am still guessing they were working with subjects pretty new to lifting.  Of course the leg that got the cycle also got more growth.  That leg got more work.  (10 to 15 minutes compared to 60 minutes) Some other things I might comment later.

One more article:  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-muscle-prof-best-cardio-for-preserving-mass.html

Unfortunately, in that same study, strength gains were cut in half when cardio was added to weightlifting.1Other studies have similarly found that muscle growth is severely decreased when cardio is integrated into a program.2,3

There are a number of explanations as to why cardio blunts gains. One is that cardio adds extra volume to your training, making it difficult to recover from normal lifting.4

From doing this Bulgarian madness, my general opinion is it is fine to include cardio in your program, especially if it is something you like to do.  Otherwise, you could be using that time to do more strength training.

But I ran out of time and I have to run!

• Like 3

I would also be curious if it was their dominant or non-dominant leg that got the cardio vs strength. It seems like they should have randomly assigned half the group to dominant leg and the other half to non-dominant. To be fair I didn't read the article, but I'm curious if they factored that in. I do normally read the source research articles before I comment but I'm feeling lazy today....

One pain in the butt thing about MFP tracking is finding the right option.  I type in "triple scoop waffle ice cream cone" and it does not even find triple scoop.  It finds options with about 15 or 20 Calories.  Maybe a couple hundred.  What part of "triple scoop" did MFP not understand?

And what about a cone like this?

ogre-cone-2.jpg

If I can figure out a way to eat a cone like this, how do I track it?

(I think there was information online.  So the problem can be solved.)

(No.  I did not try it.  I cannot figure out the logistics of even eating a cone like this - let alone taking a selfie.  I think I would just bring a pail.)

Found this!

• Like 1

Also just learned I can play that you-tube video at quarter speed.  I took another look at that snatch video.  It looks like I got that bar somewhere during Second 11 in what would pass as a quarter squat position.  Then I keep dropping about a foot.

But it felt perfectly stable.

Today did a trapped puzzle room with a few Nerd Friends and others.  10 is a pretty big group.  You can only have so many people standing around a clue.  The rule of thumb I can think of is if I give you an integer number and you cannot recite the factorial within a half second, then the number it too big.  My opinion, therefore, is six.  You can have six people standing around and following the main clues.  The other four have to find something else to do.

I don't like crowds and everybody shied away from the board with crazy scribbling and equations written all over it.  So I spent a lot of time trying to understand what it means.  Eventually the crowd made its way over with the final clue and a connect the dots.  Never know when odd facts come in handy.  From one of Spezzy's Challenges, I learned that 1 is NOT a prime number and we had to connect the first 9 primes.

So we got out of the room.  He said we were over by one minute, but that is not a big deal.  They are not going to cut the group off when they are THAT close to finishing, especially if it looks like they are going to finish.

My other contribution to the group was the name.  They wanted something for the tangling because those lines got tangled so easily.  So Tangled Ten we were!

Then went for ice cream. :D

Here is a dirty selfie afterwards.

XZb0f0.jpg

Got home.  Changed.  Took a quick nap.  Got up and realized I still had time to make it to the gym!  So:

Muscle Snatch Doubles at 64, 74, 84 pounds

Power Snatch Doubles at 94, 104, 114, 124, 129, 134 pounds - videoed the last two sets.  The last one looks a little questionable.

Power Clean Doubles at 134, 154, 174, 184, 194 pounds - decided to cut it right there.  Videoed the last two sets.

High Bar Squats: 5x134, 5x184, 5x224, 3x5x254 pounds - videoed the first of three sets.

Dumbbell Poverty Push Press: 5x30, 5x40, 3x5x45 pounds

Dumbbell Row: 5x5x75 pounds

Score for Today:

3524 Calories

331 Carbs

174 Fat

168 Protein

+5.3 Overall

• Like 7

Feeling sluggish after a heavy lunch.  Still some work that needs to be done and some shopping.  Might try another one of those days to get in there and get done quickly - even if it never seems to work out that way.

Yup.  It's back to the grind.........

Meanwhile on the adulting front - The laundry is almost done.  Supposed to get shopping done today.  Not sure if tomorrow is really an option or not.

• Like 2

...and back to the grind it is.....

Muscle Snatch + Snatch Balance at 64, 74, 84 pounds

Snatch Singles at 84, 94, 104 pounds

Snatch Singles at 94, 104, 114, 124 pounds

Snatch Singles at 114, 124, 134, 139 pounds - Last three lifts on video

Clean and Jerk Singles at 134, 154, 174 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 154, 164, 174, 184 pounds

Clean and Jerk Singles at 174, 184, 194 pounds - on video

Front Squats 3x3x224 pounds

Clean Pulls 4x3x224 pounds

alternating with 4x20 Lunges with a 25 pound plate overhead

It sure took long enough! :lol:

Score for Today:

4100 Calories - I decided to finish off those brownies I was sent home with.  Can't have that in the house.

423 Carbs

193 Fat

185 Protein

+9.8 Overall

• Like 5

No rest for the best!

Muscle Snatch Triples at 64, 74, 84 pounds

Power Snatch Triples at 94, 104, 114, 124 pounds - The last set looked pretty questionable, but I'll take it because yesterday was epic.

Power Clean Triples at 134, 154, 174, 184, 194 pounds

High Bar Squats 5x184, 5x225, 5xf5x254 pounds - doable but not fun.  Maybe not my day.

Poverty Push Press 5x94, 5x114, 5x134, 5x144, 5x154 pounds - Shoulder Condition 86%

The last set featured a nice little fail, but went right back there and did it right.

Bent-Over Rows 5x5x164 pounds

Score for Today is still accumulating.

• Like 2