• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

spezzy is a wizard.

I am an adult (what?). A pretty decently functioning one too. I go to work every day, I pay my bills on time, I go to the gym 4x a week, my apartment is decently clean, I floss, I've kept two other living beings alive for over a year now (okay, so that might be partially because they ask to be fed). But the point is, I do pretty well, especially if you compare the ghost of spezzy present to the ghost of spezzy past, it's night and day - I've come a LONG WAY.

But I mean, this is still me: 

lease.png

Soooooo we need to fix ghost of spezzy yet to come. 

responsibility1.png

The graph above describes it all pretty well - I'm great at having one major responsibility a day, like, say - going to the gym, or going to work. But when you start adding in multiple things, or if I have social plans or anything like that my brain starts freaking and I lose it all.  I need to get to the point where I can maintain wizard status at all times instead of getting overwhelmed and saying fuck it.

Because the problem is --> every time I miss something on one of my challenges, it's not because I didn't want to, it's that I didn't properly plan out my time in order to do it - so it's the end of the day and i have just run out of time.  

So the overarching goal of this challenge is that when I get to the point in the graph that says "What am I, some sort of wizard?"

I proudly say YES, YES I AM

cat-wizard-hat01.jpg.

1) PRODUCTIVITY

giphy.gif

This one is key - I can do more things if I'm more productive. A lot of times I end up doing things that don't matter (like facebook or reddit or youtube!) and there goes my day.

• Do planning session at beginning of week and map out each day and big 3 goals for work
  • Use self control app
  • Leave phone in other room while working
  • Headphones on while I work

2) ADULTING

giphy.gif

• 1 Adult task per day
  • Be at work by 9am each work day
  • Make the bed every morning
  • Sink clean at the end of every night
  • Take the trash out when it's new. Don't let it sit and pile up.

3) FITNESS

So I'm not sure my overall fitness goal right now but I really enjoyed my last program and I saw some great gains so I'm running it again with a few modifications from things I learned. Since it's a 10 week program, I won't really be hitting any big PR's or anything to make goals off of. 

• Follow programming, no YOLO days. This includes doing my bodybuilding accessory work. DON'T SKIP ACCESSORY WORK EVEN IF I WANT TO.
  • Stretching at least 20 minutes every day, if it's a workout day, in addition to stretching around workout.
  • At least 1 hour of movement on off days from lifting - can be walking, stretching, yoga, etc. and can be combined throughout the day with Madi's walks. 

4) DIET

giphy.gif

• follow food plan. log everything.
  • eat a vegetable with every meal (which is a part of the plan... but wanted to point this out as i tend to skip this)

5) HAVE FUN

giphy.gif

• At least 1hr per day of fun. 

PS --> I highly recommend against searching for adult animated gifs.

giphy.gif

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Oh that damn adult thing I´m failing at too on a regular base...

"Yeah you cleaned your kitchen today! Let´s do nothing for the rest of the week because you´re an adult now!"

I either do that or I'll do ALL the adulting one day a week and get super tired and not want to adult for a month.

• Like 4

After re-reading your initial post, it occurs to me offer a reframe of the situation. You're not trying to go from n adult things (where n is the number you can accomplish in a day without not wanting to adult again for a week or more) to all adult things. 

Maybe a way to quantify the adulting is to set a goal of n+1 or n+2 things per day during the challenge.

40 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

After re-reading your initial post, it occurs to me offer a reframe of the situation. You're not trying to go from n adult things (where n is the number you can accomplish in a day without not wanting to adult again for a week or more) to all adult things. 

Maybe a way to quantify the adulting is to set a goal of n+1 or n+2 things per day during the challenge.

I don't think I fully understand - I'm not going from no things to all things, I ONLY want to do one adult thing per day, above my baseline of things that I'm already doing 50% of the time anyway (make bed / sink / trash). This is to help prevent me from burning out from doing all the things, but also able to not get overwhelmed or let the things pile up so I have to do them all in one day. I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing n+5 adult things a day.

Other adulting (like leaving my phone in the other room when I work so I don't check it too many times) don't take extra time, just take me being an adult :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

I don't think I fully understand - I'm not going from no things to all things, I ONLY want to do one adult thing per day, above my baseline of things that I'm already doing 50% of the time anyway (make bed / sink / trash). This is to help prevent me from burning out from doing all the things, but also able to not get overwhelmed or let the things pile up so I have to do them all in one day. I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing n+5 adult things a day.

Other adulting (like leaving my phone in the other room when I work so I don't check it too many times) don't take extra time, just take me being an adult :)

Gotcha. In that case the baseline is N, and the one adult thing is n+1. I think I was the one who didn't fully understand your initial post. 

As someone who seriously SUCKS at doing her BB accessory shizz, following along for (hopefully mutual) support. :)

I'm trying to be really good at adulting at work and sticking to my GTD rules, but it does slip when things are either very busy or very quiet.

You ARE a wizard. This is true. 

The longer "I am an adult" the more I realize that there aren't really any adults in the world. Like... who really feels like an adult? I call BS. This whole adult thing is a big conspiracy. We're all just winging it and hoping for the best. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, spezzy said:

lease.png

Had a conversation with Mr. J yesterday over breakfast and Batman cartoons. We were curious if there are other childless adults out there who watch as much animated Batman cartoons as we do.

Serious question.....

Don't you work at home? So what does going to work by 9 entail?

26 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Had a conversation with Mr. J yesterday over breakfast and Batman cartoons. We were curious if there are other childless adults out there who watch as much animated Batman cartoons as we do.

Serious question.....

Don't you work at home? So what does going to work by 9 entail?

haha yes. so that means I need to be online and working by 9am. 

Working from home makes adulting incrementally harder for me, since getting up and going to an office is not a choice. It's something you have to do.

For me, since I work from home, and make my own hours, it's extremely easy to stay up till 3am ("just one more chapter and then i'll sleep..."), then sleep in till 10 or 11, then not start work till noon, then i've got to the gym, and then it's 3pm before I'm sitting down to start my work day. And that means any sort of social plans are out because I've got to work till 10pm to get a good days work in.

If I start by 9, I can do 9-12, then gym, then work 3-8 and still have a life. 

If I could get it to be 8-12 and 3-7, even better, but my natural sleep pattern is that 3am-11am, so baby steps!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drazen said:

I find doing my adult thing early in the day (ie getting the kids ready for school) gets all of that biz done before I am fully awake :barbershop_quartet_

ha, i'm great at getting adult things done first thing too! And right after coffee. :D Unfortunately that adult thing seems to be "work" ;)

1 hour ago, Hermione Gainser said:

You ARE a wizard. This is true. 

The longer "I am an adult" the more I realize that there aren't really any adults in the world. Like... who really feels like an adult? I call BS. This whole adult thing is a big conspiracy. We're all just winging it and hoping for the best. 

From the Neil Gaiman book I just finished:

"Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

As someone who seriously SUCKS at doing her BB accessory shizz, following along for (hopefully mutual) support. :)

I'm trying to be really good at adulting at work and sticking to my GTD rules, but it does slip when things are either very busy or very quiet.

it is SO EASY to just be like "you hit your main lifts, now it's late, and you're hungry, time to go home, you can do that later from your apartment gym".

YOU WILL NOT DO IT LATER NO YOU WON'T. 

It's amazing how things slip when things are quiet, right?? "Oh you have plenty of time there's nothing on the calendar today" and then at 10pm it's like..... welp, that didn't go as planned!

6 hours ago, spezzy said:

From the Neil Gaiman book I just finished:

"Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”"

Was that Ocean at the End of the Lane? Sounds familiar.

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Spezzy needing to adult has led to me having shinier buttons. If the forum starts to break, blame her.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

Was that Ocean at the End of the Lane? Sounds familiar.

It was! :) I now unfortunately have run out of gaiman to read until he writes again :(

1 minute ago, spezzy said:

It was! :) I now unfortunately have run out of gaiman to read until he writes again :(

Apparently he makes an excellent daiquiri. 

(I may still be sore that loads of my friends have partied with Neil and Amanda and I never got to go... Although, it's cool to know that I know people who are friends of theirs, I think.)