• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

spezzy is a wizard.

Hiiii!

Yesterday was great. 

Adulting: Assigned things + I spent a good 3 hours on health / dental / vision insurance decisions. 

Exercise: Walking + half an hour elliptical + stretching

Productivity: super super super productive day.

Today's workout:

First heavy day back from my 1 full week off / 1 light week.

Deadlift: 350x4, 350x4, 340x4, 340x4 (80% of desired 1rm for 2 sets, 80% of current 1rm for 2 sets was goal here)

Bench - 165 for 5 sets of 5

bodybuilding stuff!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What is the reason for the Yoga mat on the bench?

That bench is super slippery, so using leg drive makes me go sliding everywhere and lose tightness. The yoga mat still isn't even that great, but it's better than just the plain bench. We have one bench that is great but since it's the best it's usually taken :(

10 hours ago, spezzy said:

That bench is super slippery, so using leg drive makes me go sliding everywhere and lose tightness. The yoga mat still isn't even that great, but it's better than just the plain bench. We have one bench that is great but since it's the best it's usually taken :(

I saw something yesterday where someone had wrapped an assistance band vertically around the bench to provide traction. 

49 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I've been known to paint a bench with liquid chalk if it's too damned slippy.

The staff at my gym would have a panic attack...I've been given death stares for not wiping a chalky fingerprint off one of the plates I unloaded in a timely fashion. 

1 minute ago, ArgSki77 said:

The staff at my gym would have a panic attack...I've been given death stares for not wiping a chalky fingerprint off one of the plates I unloaded in a timely fashion. 

We get away with completely covering the bench with powder chalk in ours, but not sure how they'd react to liquid.

It's easy enough to wipe off, though.

14 hours ago, spezzy said:

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I saw something yesterday where someone had wrapped an assistance band vertically around the bench to provide traction. 

This..... just don't get your hair caught in it.

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

32 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

This..... just don't get your hair caught in it.

Yeah, second what marissa said - my hair gets caught in the bands because it's so long. I prefer the yoga mat. 

3 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

I've been known to paint a bench with liquid chalk if it's too damned slippy. Might cause issues with the staff, though. :) 

2 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

2 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

We get away with completely covering the bench with powder chalk in ours, but not sure how they'd react to liquid.

It's easy enough to wipe off, though.

I'm lucky that they've been re-upholstering all of the benches. They wouldn't care if I liquid chalked it, but this is easier because I don't need to clean up. Regular chalk just seems to make it more slippery. 

My gym is... very old school and dirty. Chalk everywhere. So don't need to worry about making a mess luckily!

On 5/5/2016 at 9:42 PM, Shukar said:

Adulting is hard, but I think you'll get by with a little help from your friends. :)

giphy.gif

On 5/5/2016 at 0:41 AM, gingered said:

Wow, I can really relate to the adulting bit. Plus, props for including and xkcd comic. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

the only question was WHICH xkcd comic to include :D 

On 5/5/2016 at 11:02 AM, Raxie said:

giphy.gif

Here to watch the adulting!

giphy.gif

On 5/10/2016 at 9:06 PM, LogicLeigh said:

I highly recommend Tom Holt :)

Also as someone who's trying to focus on Adulting this challenge, I wish you luck!

On 5/10/2016 at 10:09 AM, Laghail said:

I can't recommend lexicon highly enough. It's such a strange little book, ostensibly a tom Clancy-ish thriller, with a layer of sci-fi thrown on, but the insights on human interactions and knowing people (both biblically and the g-rated version) are really thought provoking; even while one character plays blindman's bluff with a katana. It's a gem.

For fiction that strikes of Gaiman's insight and prose, you might checkout Orson Scott Card. He's written more than Enders Game stuff, and "Hart's Hope" or "Enchanted" are particularly approachable for Gaiman fans.

will add these to my list!

On 5/5/2016 at 7:47 PM, Leimanu said:

My goodness, I wish my start time was 9am.  Sounds luxurious.

When you often don't finish working until midnight, and your body doesn't wan to sleep until 3am, a complete change of schedule and routine is a struggle.

• Like 1

Last few days have been good!

Today's workout:

Squat, beltless - 205 for 4 sets of 7

Squat, front - 80kg for 3 sets of 2

Squat, bulgarian split - 5 sets of 10 per leg

One leg hip thrust, two leg hip thrust. bodyweight.

• Like 2

Coach's Eye is the best app EVER. I have been using it more lately and it is a massive help. 

It's helpful especially as I'm completely changing my squat, I can figure out exactly what the root of the problem is.

On 5/14/2016 at 0:35 PM, Sam Ashen said:

The green arrows connecting the red dots confuse me.

those are up and down bar path

• Like 1

Yesterday's workout:

Bench - 170 for 4 sets of 4

Sumo Deadlift - 275 for 5 sets of 3 beltless

Leg up dumbbell bench - 55 for 3 sets of 8

Ring dips - 5 sets of 5

Lat pulldowns

Abs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How does it feel doing Sumo vs Conventional? Where do you feel it more?

I feel adductors a bit more but that's just from the wider stance. TBH at this low percentage (it's only 65%) and because I'm not doing a true sumo, I'm not going to really feel it that much anywhere, it's more form practice. Sumo uses more quads and is less taxing overall (check this out for lots of details: http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/exercises/deadlift/)

What I need to do is fix my starting position - right now I'm starting a bit over the bar like you do in conventional, but I need to be more upright, with my arms straight up and down with my shoulders lined up with the bar. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

accurate description of my bar path ;)

Based on an article you sent recently, I would bet I do the same thing - and something like Coach's Eye would prove it.

The article was saying the leverages were the same and an Untamed Video (High Bar versus Low Bar Squats) showed Thrall's Low Bar Squat passing right through his DL setup position.  The difference I see is the height of the bar.  The bar is much higher in a Squat than it is in a Deadlift.

The leverages might be very similar assuming the bar path is straight.  However, if some jerk were to try to knock me over while I was lifting, it would be much easier to accomplish if I was trying to squat a weight than deadlift because the weight is so much higher.

My conclusion so far:  Bar stability is a jerk.

• Like 2

allright!

today's workout:

squats, 5x5@220lbs. program called for 217.5 and i bumped it, glad I did these were EASY.

bench 152.5 for 4 sets of 7

hack squats, hip thrusts, and good mornings.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Based on an article you sent recently, I would bet I do the same thing - and something like Coach's Eye would prove it.

The article was saying the leverages were the same and an Untamed Video (High Bar versus Low Bar Squats) showed Thrall's Low Bar Squat passing right through his DL setup position.  The difference I see is the height of the bar.  The bar is much higher in a Squat than it is in a Deadlift.

The leverages might be very similar assuming the bar path is straight.  However, if some jerk were to try to knock me over while I was lifting, it would be much easier to accomplish if I was trying to squat a weight than deadlift because the weight is so much higher.

My conclusion so far:  Bar stability is a jerk.

I'm also doing a high bar style (knees forward) squat with the bar low on my back. The bar path actually isn't that bad, it just comes forward, but it's at least consistent (the first rep in that video is 2 of the dots, the other 2 dots are the other 6 reps). It doesn't ampersand like it used to, it's now just a forward slash. And \ > &. 

I'd like to switch back to flats for these but my flexibility isn't there yet. working on it!