• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broba Fett

Broba Fett acquires a target.

Thank you all very much. She went into apnea style breathing last night so it seems more and more likely she will not pull out of it this time. :(

I'm at peace with it though. I haven't talked about my faith a whole lot but it allows me to feel like this is a good thing for her.

On the positive side of things I got to hit the gym for free day today since the kid stayed at her grandparents' last night. I asked coach to supervise me while I tested my deadlift max and I pulled 405!

More details and weekly measurements in a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Nice DL max!

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Behold, the 405 milestone on DL. Well done sir!

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Nice one on the 405 man!

1 hour ago, gingered said:

Congrats on the 405 DL!

Sent from mobile.

:D

It was just what I needed this week.

Coach has been having trouble coming up with programming for Thursdays so he decided this week to make it a "backfill" day.  He put all the WODs  up for the past week and you can come in and do any of them to make up or you can just come in and do whatever.

So I tested deadlift max.  Worked out really well as there were only 3 people there and I got a lot of attention and critique.  Progressed like this:

135x3

225x3

315x1

365x1

415x1...ish

Let me explain.  I got 415 up but it was sketchy and I was off balance at the top and took a step back to not fall over while holding it just before lockout.  So he told me to take off some of the bumper plates I had been using and put on steel plates.  I cut it down to 405 and got it done!

We cut the weight there since it was pretty close to my limit at the moment and he told me I have a sticking point that I have to grind through on every rep.  Apparently I'm not popping my hips through on my deadlifts.  I'm just straightening my legs and bullying it up with my back. 

To illustrate it he brought out the stands we would use for 18" deads and had me put the 405 on there and try.  Normally I guess most people can lift much more from that elevated position but when I tried it was awful.  Much harder for me than from the floor.  So I had to focus on getting my core tight and pushing through with my hips to get the weight above my knees.   Ground through 3 singles at 405 from the stands, ran a mile and called it a day.

So my new focus on deads when we are doing sub-max during WODs is to be aware of my hips and start using them!  I'm excited to see what I'm capable of once I get the whole thing moving together.

I'm also going to count this as trying out one of my events as one is deadlifting 365 for max reps in 60 seconds.  I'm now certain I can complete this event and probably do pretty well in it, especially considering I can use straps. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

We cut the weight there since it was pretty close to my limit at the moment and he told me I have a sticking point that I have to grind through on every rep.  Apparently I'm not popping my hips through on my deadlifts.  I'm just straightening my legs and bullying it up with my back. 

A friend told me that the key to the hips at the top of the DL is to...let me paraphrase here, treat it like you are fornicating with the bar.

• Like 4

That is helpful info about this hips. Both from your coach and from Tanktimus. I'm taking mental notes! Today is squats but I'll write a little note in my training journal for Sunday to meditate on my hips. ;) And on making love to the bar... also at the top of a squat?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That is helpful info about this hips. Both from your coach and from Tanktimus. I'm taking mental notes! Today is squats but I'll write a little note in my training journal for Sunday to meditate on my hips. ;) And on making love to the bar... also at the top of a squat?

With a squat the bar is on your shoulders, if you can make something romantic happen in that situation your abilities are far beyond my own ;) 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2016 at 4:45 PM, Grymm said:

405?  Nicely done! 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A friend told me that the key to the hips at the top of the DL is to...let me paraphrase here, treat it like you are fornicating with the bar.

That seems like an excellent que.  I shall give it a shot monday when DL rolls around again.  Thank you sir.

Grandma passed last night. :(  I'm ok with it.  She's better off.  I'll have a good cry at the services and rest easier knowing that she isn't just laying in a room looking at a ceiling.  But that means the next week is gonna be a bit crazy and will likely result in bad eating and weight gains.  My family turns to food in times of emotion (Actually due in large part to this grandma and her Depression-era idea of how much food children should be eating.)  and thus there will likely be big dinners before/after both the visitation and funeral.

I will do my best to make good choices but I'm not going to kill myself over eating paleo those days.

Back is super tight today but feels strong. 

If I don't check in for a couple days I hope you all are doing great on your challenges.

• Like 1

Sorry about your grandma. It sounds like you are in a good place, and are wise not to worry about paleo during family time. One week isn't going to undo you, and you are already making contingency plans to make the best choices you can.

Sorry to hear about your grandma. :( The story reminds me of my own... and how they loved me and spoiled me.

Congrats on the 405# deadlift too! That's a huge milestone.

I fell behind for a bit but all caught up now. With each death in my life I have felt anguish, as well as shame at that anguish. After all, every one looses people, what gives me the right to morn. It took me awhile to realize it was ok. So remember it's ok to feel without giving in to bad habits.

Also, I concur with the people commenting on the difficulty of jump rope and the awesomeness of your Dead lift! Keep it up brother.

Checking in to say hi and see how things are going? I know you had a rough week this past week. I hope you are taking care. 

On 20/5/2016 at 8:05 PM, Broba Fett said:

Grandma passed last night. :(  I'm ok with it.  She's better off.  I'll have a good cry at the services and rest easier knowing that she isn't just laying in a room looking at a ceiling.  But that means the next week is gonna be a bit crazy and will likely result in bad eating and weight gains.  My family turns to food in times of emotion (Actually due in large part to this grandma and her Depression-era idea of how much food children should be eating.)  and thus there will likely be big dinners before/after both the visitation and funeral.

oh man... I'm truly sorry for your loss. :(

About the family-turning-to-food thing... I feel you on that one too. My grandma was italian and she lived through WWII. You can imagine her idea of how much food children should be eating

Just checking in to send love your way. I imagine this has been a hard week, and hope you have the support you need. <3 

On 5/20/2016 at 10:00 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about your grandma. It sounds like you are in a good place, and are wise not to worry about paleo during family time. One week isn't going to undo you, and you are already making contingency plans to make the best choices you can.

On 5/21/2016 at 3:10 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Sorry to hear about your grandma. :( The story reminds me of my own... and how they loved me and spoiled me.

Congrats on the 405# deadlift too! That's a huge milestone.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:05 PM, WorldSparrow said:

I fell behind for a bit but all caught up now. With each death in my life I have felt anguish, as well as shame at that anguish. After all, every one looses people, what gives me the right to morn. It took me awhile to realize it was ok. So remember it's ok to feel without giving in to bad habits.

Also, I concur with the people commenting on the difficulty of jump rope and the awesomeness of your Dead lift! Keep it up brother.

On 5/27/2016 at 8:04 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Checking in to say hi and see how things are going? I know you had a rough week this past week. I hope you are taking care. 

On 5/27/2016 at 8:33 AM, Agnarr said:

oh man... I'm truly sorry for your loss. :(

About the family-turning-to-food thing... I feel you on that one too. My grandma was italian and she lived through WWII. You can imagine her idea of how much food children should be eating

On 5/27/2016 at 8:38 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

Just checking in to send love your way. I imagine this has been a hard week, and hope you have the support you need. <3 

Hey guys, thanks for checking in on me.  I'm doing well.  Services were difficult but ultimately it was good to see family that I hadn't seen in years and (some of which) I likely will not see again now that the matriarch of our family as passed on.  Spent a good week and a half driving back and forth home plus a trip to Cedar Rapids, ended up driving 1800 miles in one week.  Food was not good but we knew that going in.  Made it in to the gym at least once each week. 

Been back on the horse this week and back in the negative on weight loss after dropping the water weight I put on.  About 30lbs down total since starting to get my shit back together two months ago.  Clothes are also fitting much better. 

Fiancee and I went to the gym last night and made up our deadlift day for the week.  I did the prescribed 5 sets of 2 at 90% (365lbs for me) and coach got a wild hair when she had no problem lifting 225 double overhand and decided to see how far she could go with an alternated grip.  She pulled 285 (!)  for two singles but failed to get 315.  She's also sick. She was a little bummed until he said we are testing maxes next week so she'll have another chance at it Monday.  I've gotten 3 sessions of pretty constant critique/tweaking of my deadlift so I have high hopes for monday as well.  Really hoping to get 450.  May be wishful thinking only a few weeks after getting 405 for several singles.  We shall see.

Saved all my variances for this weekend.  We are going to the "food" theater where they bring food to your seat to watch Apocalypse and hitting the sushi joint this weekend.   Can't wait.

Hope you all are doing well.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention after talking about the fiancee pulling ridiculous numbers with her limited deadlift experience:  I cannot wait to see what kind of super child springs from her belly when we decide to have a kid.

I have my eyes set on being an NFL dad, regardless of gender. ;)

• Like 5

Congrats on the weight loss! That has to feel good. You are making excellent progress and should give yourself a serious pat on the back. Jumping back on the wagon after a sad life event can be hard, but you have managed it well. 

And those deadlifts man!

• Like 2