• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

My backyard gym project

I'm building a bodyweight gym in my backyard. Here's what I've done so far.

GrQgOod.jpg

In this thread, I'll show you how it's going and how I'm putting it together. 

I am not a person who just decides to grab a bunch of lumber and build a thing. This feels a little insane. But it's fun!

As you can see, so far I've got a dip station and a pullup bar on the left side. The whole thing's going to be a 6 by 8 feet footprint (plus the dip station off to one side), and it's eight feet tall. 

Here's the blank canvas before I started.

PcupFIC.jpg

Edited by Hazard
pinned
  • Like 9

The wood is pressure-treated 4x4s. They cost about 20 bucks apiece.

ofZnWTv.jpg

The vertical beams are stuck in the ground with deck spikes. I looked at different ways to do this -- digging a post hole with concrete just sounded way too labor-intensive. These spikes are just the trick. They are about two feet long. You stick a piece of scrap wood into them and just pound them into the ground, then remove the scrap wood and stick the vertical post in and bolt it tight. 

iLe5U4n.jpg

• Like 2

I built the pullup bar first. This is a bit of a weird photo; they aren't actually that askew.

as2nwxv.png

The bar is a six-foot long galvanized pipe (rust proof since it's outdoors) attached to two floor flanges and heavy wood screws going into the posts. 

a6BNq2c.jpg

For the dip bars, that's a six-foot post next to the pullup bar, two four-foot posts and two more pipes. Guess what? I didn't get rust-proof galvanized flanges to attach the dip bars, and they showed rust immediately after the first rain. I'm going to replace them before I do anything else. I'm afraid they'll become a pain to remove if they get too rusty.

I'm terrible at dips so far but they also work great for inverted rows. 

9by1inc.jpg

• Like 1

And here's the most recent progress. You get a better idea of how it'll look when it's done now that the main structure has three corners. I added the vertical post on the right and the long horizontal beam. I had a scrap piece of wood the right length to add that short horizontal piece between the two dip posts, and it feels like it adds a bit of solidity.

dmdoDXp.jpg

Next I'm going to add a fourth corner at the back right, and I'm going to make a punching bag out of old tires. There will be some monkey bars across the top eventually. 

I won't be able to work on it this weekend. More next week, I hope.

• Like 9

"Design" is a very strong word. :) But yes, I just looked at a ton of photos of similar projects for inspiration and sketched out what I wanted, and occasionally the plan changes once I start working....

• Like 5

Love it!  Part of the reason I bought my house was so I can eventually build a ninja warrior course in the backyard.

Another idea for the pull-up station is to make steps on the side posts out of leftover wood.  Then you'd both be able to use the bar more easily.  Also, how necessary is the top support for stability?  I'm working on designs for my (eventual) rig and that 4x4 will interfere with muscle up training. :P

I haven't seen anything on turning a tire into a punching bag, so that will be interesting to see.  More often I've seen duffel bags filled with sand or rubber mulch, though I'm not sure how well that would hold up to weather.

Looking forward to your next installment.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

"Design" is a very strong word. :) But yes, I just looked at a ton of photos of similar projects for inspiration and sketched out what I wanted, and occasionally the plan changes once I start working....

That's neat! I've been looking for parallel bar designs around the net as well.. 

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Another idea for the pull-up station is to make steps on the side posts out of leftover wood.  Then you'd both be able to use the bar more easily.  Also, how necessary is the top support for stability?  I'm working on designs for my (eventual) rig and that 4x4 will interfere with muscle up training. :P

I haven't seen anything on turning a tire into a punching bag, so that will be interesting to see.  More often I've seen duffel bags filled with sand or rubber mulch, though I'm not sure how well that would hold up to weather.

Here's the idea for the tire punching bag -- several similar plans are out there. Basically you just bolt a stack of 3-4 tires together, drill some holes in them for water drainage, and hang them up with a chain.

I like the idea for some side steps for the pullup bar. I want to add something for step exercises anyway, and I'm toying with making that serve a dual function as a step-up for the bar -- not sure yet but I think it might work well. There will be plenty of scrap wood lying around, though, and we're also putting some plywood paneling into our storage shed so I'll have some leftover pieces of that.

I think it would probably work fine without the wooden beam across the top. Once the pipe was bolted in it felt pretty solid. Since it was going to be part of a larger structure, I decided to err on the side of caution and add the extra support, but I'm not sure it was really necessary. On the other hand, adding it only took one piece of wood and a few minutes' work.

Don't lower the bar for your wife, just get her a milk crate or let her jump. It's way better to be able to do the full range of motion instead of worrying about having to bend your legs to avoid the ground. 

Soooo cool! 

• Like 5

I'm pinning this thread.

Please keep the pictures coming, and let us know how this shapes up over time, how well it lasts as the months go by, and any problems that arise that you spot and figure out how to fix.  I think this will be a very good read for anybody who wants to build their own Assassin playground.

I've watched you building this in your last NF Assassin Challenge.  One of my great frustrations right now is that it'll be at least another year before I get back into a house with a yard.   Which I want specifically so that I can build similar things (traverse ledges, salmon ladder, climbing wall, etc).

• Like 2

I'm loving this idea.  I'm in the same position as @Hazard, at least a year of being in a place with a garden when I could build something like this myself.  Certainly up for trying it though.

I do want to emphasize that I do not, as a rule, build things, and in no way do I really know what I'm doing here. I mention this just to make the point that it's turned out not to be all that difficult once I got started.

• Like 4

I love this! I hope to do something similar in our back yard, and now that I've got the mister bodyweight training with me I just might be able to talk him into it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

If I had just slightly more moxie I'd name it the Assassination Station. Don't think I'm quite cool enough yet.

If you thought of it, you are totally cool enough. :D

• Like 6

No construction progress this week, but if you're following this thread then this podcast interview might be relevant to your interests (despite the website title it's not at all dude-centric). The Kindle edition of the guy's book is only two bucks on Amazon so I'm picking it up to see if there are any ideas I can use for inspiration.