• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

My backyard gym project

Recommended Posts

Very minor update -- I made a homemade TRX-style rip trainer today.

 

3-foot dowel, two screw eyes, and tried using a resistance band I already had. Total outlay, ten bucks. It definitely needs a longer heavy bungee cord. I'm going to wrap some duct tape around the grip. Not much to show, but there we have it.

 

I did not give it much of a trial run today because 1) I had a killer kettlebell class this morning, and 2) the mosquitoes are brutal in my back yard and I had not taken the precaution of hosing myself down with bug repellent.

 

w8ROpit.png

 

HT4BSqc.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ryuu1011 said:

Saw these tutorials over on the Gymnastic Bodies Forums and though of you and your back yard project and thought you might be interested if you ever wanted to add Stall Bars to your set up Tutorial 1 // Tutorial 2 

 

That definitely looks above my skill level. :) Maybe pencil that in for next upgrade....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some scrap lumber I had lying around:

kFsJ4Aql.png

 

I screwed it together:

HC7ZeXLl.png

 

I added a couple of brackets: 

oYv17ZSl.png

 

And attached it to a post:

Cu8vOeGsezw7-j69hK_xF4_mw0LG0x7qs_nxQAywVnavgGP1iHT-wEtp8_GvpZvcHQ0dXrQUOTFPacN9BCuxEKHE3KRLrnS0llHpOIz-mH_02MnjYQ69zXeBMJmomzCJrZDW0szw-UpEFUA5n_APg1UvhoV_wzeltOlvdl0Jf2GbDEA2j2XWOx4UDiRlnVHiyVxqPfKKKvCLRiJbCcoqKAYHOD5JZRgjM-8_JAJ8yv00VKulBlFaBOC4qwT67O3JFpgHb4pWgcZq0XXIEU1dzBYUdE511UWP4Ux4LX1qNWEd72QYdiEhsDVHRYF668ZT3Oplcjn4oiY9MWt4nfvzWhZnXK7-3TI1QzAyWyImox7Vm0r-j3-4INdb8tMFuMugxdxgyUbDSY169KJNsL6qbiDhw8FpiFHdUs2AISkymb0P-SrSjv4O1JNg0ioJDf76H5VbJznHxC8aiXDrhE0CbFgpEbpPwr6jQgpnpG6qNVGYtKeMBu7ajAnvH13pxPVu_nwTvw_DTtOQXTaFGq17KeaNdH9BsVmGJnyvWvp4jlcyVC7wRkHmAiVpjLIL12ACBjLa4ub1cR6R5yhKxOmvtvM9aGNgzKbj9Nj8bEDc=w712-h949-no

 

So that I could huck knives at it.

4iJ8rabl.png

 

Problems and observations:

  • I am not good at throwing knives. (This is not really a design flaw.) That picture is the only knife I actually got to stick in point-first.
  • The wood is pressure-treated lumber since it's stuff I bought to leave outdoors. It's very hard. It really needs something softer to make a better target. I'm not sure what that should be -- it's got to be something that won't start decomposing as soon as it gets rained on.
  • It's heavy. I'm not sure it's put together solidly enough. I might add some additional brackets on the back to help hold it in place a little more securely.
  • Amazon has all kinds of cheap throwing knives. I got a set of three for ten or twelve bucks.
  • I really sort of want to get a cheap target crossbow now.
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear tree rounds (just a cross section of a felled tree) make excellent throwing targets. (Yeah, I'm looking into knife throwing since your post about cheap Amazon throwing knives, what about it??) There are also bunches of DIY guides to making targets; general advice is, throwing into the end of the grain is best. Short version: saw off a bunch of short chunks of 2x4, glue them together, slap them in a frame, and huck away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO BADASS. 

 

also, have you posted a full picture of the tattoo somewhat visible in your TRX installation picture? Because it also, from what I can see, looks badass. 

 

In conclusion: badass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pavowski said:

I hear tree rounds (just a cross section of a felled tree) make excellent throwing targets. (Yeah, I'm looking into knife throwing since your post about cheap Amazon throwing knives, what about it??) There are also bunches of DIY guides to making targets; general advice is, throwing into the end of the grain is best. Short version: saw off a bunch of short chunks of 2x4, glue them together, slap them in a frame, and huck away.

 

That makes perfect sense. I have a lot of yard cleanup to do this spring -- I'll see if I have any scraps around that might work, and if not that sounds like only a few bucks worth of wood. Thanks!

 

16 minutes ago, tei_ said:

also, have you posted a full picture of the tattoo somewhat visible in your TRX installation picture? Because it also, from what I can see, looks badass. 

 

Maybe? I'll dig up a couple and post over in my challenge thread shortly! I have, um, a couple of tattoos.

 

Thanks. :) 

 

16 minutes ago, tei_ said:

In conclusion: badass. 

 

Aw, shucks. Thanks! More to come soonish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2018 at 5:20 AM, tei_ said:

In conclusion: badass. 

After thorough analysis I reached exactly the same conclusion so it must be true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2018 at 6:43 PM, Pavowski said:

I hear tree rounds (just a cross section of a felled tree) make excellent throwing targets.

 

One big reason for this is that the knife point is cutting with the grain, splitting it in teh direction it would naturally want to split. In the photographed case, the knife is hitting the target across the grain. 

 

On 3/31/2018 at 10:29 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Cedar would be soft, light, and rot resistant. I’m not sure if it’d be tough enough to withstand repeated knife strikes though.

It works, but you're right about the lack of durability. Fir is somewhere in the middle, and works well if you can get a knot-free target face (see above). 

 

Source: I've thrown a few axes and frontier-style tomahawks... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2016 at 11:27 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

 

Here's the idea for the tire punching bag -- several similar plans are out there. Basically you just bolt a stack of 3-4 tires together, drill some holes in them for water drainage, and hang them up with a chain.

 

Will this not completely demolish your hands? I have punched tires (by accident) and they are not like any punching bag i've ever used?

Am I missing something in the design? OR do you just have WAY tougher hands than me?

 

On 3/31/2018 at 4:11 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

 

  • I am not good at throwing knives. (This is not really a design flaw.) That picture is the only knife I actually got to stick in point-first.
  • The wood is pressure-treated lumber since it's stuff I bought to leave outdoors. It's very hard. It really needs something softer to make a better target. I'm not sure what that should be -- it's got to be something that won't start decomposing as soon as it gets rained on.
  • It's heavy. I'm not sure it's put together solidly enough. I might add some additional brackets on the back to help hold it in place a little more securely.
  • Amazon has all kinds of cheap throwing knives. I got a set of three for ten or twelve bucks.
  • I really sort of want to get a cheap target crossbow now.

 

OMG the knife throwing target!!

I did not realize this thread existed until now so this is the first update I heard on it. I'm so glad you got it up! 

Have you made any modifications to it yet for stick-ability?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happienumber said:

Will this not completely demolish your hands? I have punched tires (by accident) and they are not like any punching bag i've ever used?

Am I missing something in the design? OR do you just have WAY tougher hands than me?

 

You wear boxing gloves :)

 

1 hour ago, Happienumber said:

OMG the knife throwing target!!

I did not realize this thread existed until now so this is the first update I heard on it. I'm so glad you got it up! 

Have you made any modifications to it yet for stick-ability?

 

I haven't yet -- I shifted gears to get the monkey bars up. Still haven't taken detailed pictures of that upgrade for this thread, but I will soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Will this not completely demolish your hands? I have punched tires (by accident) and they are not like any punching bag i've ever used?

 

Oh, and PS: I've definitely decided I'd rather buy a cheap punching bag that's light enough to hang up and take down, rather than doing the tire thing. I like the idea of something I can leave out in the rain, but assembling and hanging the tires just seems like more work than I want to go through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, www.mygymfamily.com said:

That's a great unique outdoor gym you have made. I am about to make my own but I wanted to know if you had any problems with the pressure treated wood warping? Also has the paint held off the rust well?

 

No problems whatsoever. The only painted pieces are the pre-painted spike/socket beam supports that go into the ground, and I haven't noticed any rust at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now