• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonflies never say die

I'm sorry you had to go through that. :( You never really know what other people are thinking or doing. It sucks and it's hard and I still struggle with it, but over time I've worked up the courage to say "that makes me uncomfortable, can you not say that please" or something along those lines re: the choking.

For the guy waiting for you to finish in the rack, could be he just didn't want to deal with the hassle of plate changing if you're doing much different weights than him. That can get tedious and exhausting. If I work in with someone I almost always make sure we are doing similar enough weights where it won't be a challenge to change plates between every set. I would try to not take that personally.

4 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

twatmonkeys

Hahaha love it.

On 5/28/2016 at 7:54 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

The husband killed it on his 5k race today.  Finished in under 20 minutes, 5th overall, first in his age group!  Over 500 runners, total.

Congrats hubby! That's incredibly impressive!!!!

• Like 3

On 5/30/2016 at 0:27 PM, Alaysia said:

And the Ripptoe guy, well, he may be on the other side of the scale and overly respect women's space and didn't want to crowd you. Maybe he thought if he lifted heavier than you it would make you feel bad. Maybe he felt he would be rushing you. If he was older than the DamnGirl crew, that could be very plausible. You know, like cowboys. They'll hoot n' holler with the men, but tip their hat and watch their language around a lady.

I bet that was it.  I didn't think of it that way at all.  Thank you for such a thoughtful reply.  {HUG}

On 5/30/2016 at 2:15 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

(I'll have to tell you about the deliverance twins sometimes, it's TLDR to hijack your thread with!)

I wonder if they weren't trying to include you in their version of culture, I've definitely crossed groups in the MA world that actually think this kind of banter is funny. (Choke thing sounds like an attempt at a kinky innuendo... idk.)

Maybe.  It was just so very uncomfortable, though.  Interestingly, when my husband is there, DamnGirl won't even say hello to me.    And thread-jack to your heart's delight!!!

On 5/30/2016 at 3:47 PM, Stonefist said:

If life has taught me anything, it is that not all fights are worth fighting. 

Ask yourself what you stand to gain from "toughing it out" with these guys. 

More angst, probably. 

On 5/30/2016 at 6:22 PM, SevenofSeven said:

The other two were probably really uncomfortable about DamnGirl and his shitty comments. On their own they may not have even got in your way. 

I think that they were.  I saw one of them today, who went out of his way to be nice to me - even offered to spot my bench (which I took him up on). 

13 hours ago, evabo said:

Frankly, I think you SHOULD be upset about this, because it's not okay. It's got nothing to do with you or anything you did, and everything to do with them being douchy douchebags. You have every right to be there and do whatever the eff you want to do, and they have NO right to make you feel weird or uncomfortable or whatever they were trying to do there. Hats off to you for not letting them intimidate you. Very badass.

evabo = awesome. 

That is all.

12 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

What absolute twatmonkeys! Depressingly, there are those guys in most gyms and they're pretty much never the big lifters but the guys who want people to think they're all that and a barrel of biscuits whilst really being deeply insecure.

I think that you hit it square-on right there.  Insecure.  Which I get - I am, too.  But I try not to take it out on other people.  I think that DamnGirl is a super-shart, and I am going to watch how other people (all dudes) respond to him.  I bet that they don't really buy into his crap, either...I'll get back to you on that...he wasn't there today.

7 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I'm sorry you had to go through that. :( You never really know what other people are thinking or doing. It sucks and it's hard and I still struggle with it, but over time I've worked up the courage to say "that makes me uncomfortable, can you not say that please" or something along those lines re: the choking.

Congrats hubby! That's incredibly impressive!!!!

What kills me is that I do NOT have these issues outside of the gym - if anything, I am too willing to tell people off.  Yet in the gym, it's like I revert to a twelve year old caught in the middle of a game of keepaway.  I guess that it is a very specific type of social anxiety (undiagnosed, of course).  The amount of angst that I feel and the energy that I devote to calming myself down is sometimes quite draining. 

I am proud that I keep going.  A LOT of that is because of you guys and gals here on NF.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you for all of the kindness and support that you have continually shown

• Like 5

Just think for a second about how you are pushing 140# above your body for reps. That is some serious POWER and STRENGTH. Get it girl!

• Like 5

I seem to have broken multi-quote...

@Grymm - like bacon in a pan sizzle!!!

@ORazor - so many jokes, so little time...

@AugustaAdaByron - the eyebrows, they kill me.  ;-)

@~RedStone~ - I was practically bouncing with excitement,  but had to act calm and collected.   

@Taddea Zhaan - I am pretty psyched.  Now thinking about hitting 150, #cuzYnot?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Oh, @~RedStone~ asked for gym pics.  I am having serious technology issues with either my phone or the site.  But @gunslinger_25 has linked to pics in his Dropbox over on his thread in the scouts challenge forum. 

Looks awesome!!! Reminds me of half a dozen shipping container projects I'd like to do if we ever settle on some property. Going to be amazing :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Oh, @~RedStone~ asked for gym pics.  I am having serious technology issues with either my phone or the site.  But @gunslinger_25 has linked to pics in his Dropbox over on his thread in the scouts challenge forum. 

That has the makings of a fine gym.  Are you going to incorporate a DL platform?  Which side is the lifting room?  The high side for press?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

That has the makings of a fine gym.  Are you going to incorporate a DL platform?  Which side is the lifting room?  The high side for press?

Thanks!  The side with the (ridiculously awesome) high roof is the gym. The room is about 13 x 14, I think.  The husband put in double joists under the floor where I will be squatting and deadlifting, so the platform is essentially built in. - although if it turns out that we need more, I'm sure that he will figure something out.   He also put in a double rafter from which to hang a heavy punching bag (possibly a water bag - yay!).

We found reasonably priced rubber gym flooring,  too.  I'm pretty much all in at this point, and may be going a tiny smidge overboard.  I've come to terms with it.  ;-)

(Ok, in my defense,  I haven't gone completely around the bend, he was building the structure anyway, I'm just taking over 1/3 of it.)

• Like 6

People always assume men need sheds, a time honoured tradition, "The Man Cave" but Sisters are needing room too! I'm glad we brought the property that had a his and hers shed! I can't see Roly giving any of his space away or letting me lift 40kg over my head near his Ducati ;) or smacking away at the punching bag near his home brew! :)

Very cool! 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, SevenofSeven said:

People always assume men need sheds, a time honoured tradition, "The Man Cave" but Sisters are needing room too! I'm glad we brought the property that had a his and hers shed! I can't see Roly giving any of his space away or letting me lift 40kg over my head near his Ducati ;) or smacking away at the punching bag near his home brew! :)

Very cool! 

She Sheds. I want one! It would be my own secret club house and no one else could be a member!

• Like 5

This challenge is winding down the way it began - missing gym days.  Grr.  Thursday, I forgot my gym bag - first time ever.  Friday went in to make it up, didn't warm up well.  Felt tight as I was ramping up, but didn't listen to my body.  Hit my first set of squats at 160 lb, then nope.  I called it and went home.

Today I kinda sorta made up for it by assisting with gym building.  Built and installed all 4 eave rafters ( I think that is what they are called).  It was brutally physical and involved lots of ladders and isometric holding of things that truly tested my strength.  Feeling proud that I was able to contribute.  Anticipate doms tomorrow.  Bring it.  

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

This challenge is winding down the way it began - missing gym days.  Grr.  Thursday, I forgot my gym bag - first time ever.  Friday went in to make it up, didn't warm up well.  Felt tight as I was ramping up, but didn't listen to my body.  Hit my first set of squats at 160 lb, then nope.  I called it and went home.

Today I kinda sorta made up for it by assisting with gym building.  Built and installed all 4 eave rafters ( I think that is what they are called).  It was brutally physical and involved lots of ladders and isometric holding of things that truly tested my strength.  Feeling proud that I was able to contribute.  Anticipate doms tomorrow.  Bring it.  

I dunno, all I see is someone being accountable, learning from it then building their own goddamn gym.

dkGhBWE3SyzXW.gif

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Construction fitness AND making it your own. There's nothing like getting your hands in a project that makes it feel more yours!! EPIC AND AWSOME way to cap off the challenge!!!!!

Sorry I'm behind on the gym bro story *hugs* - I think you're awesome (did you see that bench PR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Hotels with broken wifi when traveling are the worst. I've missed SO MUCH.

I try to assume good intentions with everyone, and I can make it work for everything but the weird choking comment [guy wasn't ready to lift yet, didn't want to make you deload for his warm-up sets, unracked bar because he needed it and it looked like you were done, was trying to be nice, etc.] I'm with (Was it redstone?) who said it was probably a really awkward, not appropriate innuendo type thing. Eww. Honestly, that would cross a line for me and I'd at least try to report it. Do they have someone you can email?

I half think people like that are trying to throw you off your game. If you stop, you won't make him feel bad for him not trying. Finishing a workout after something like that = victory for me (even if you don't make all your sets, because that happens to the best of them). I'm hoping my new gym will have less dudebros. I don't actually post all the weird stuff that they say/do in my gym (only when I get really upset about it lol - dumbbells in the squat rack? really?). Maybe people will grow up. Maybe they will not. Either way, you are awesome, and super strong. And I think that's amazing :)

I'm so ready to see your awesome home gym! Please put up pictures when you finish!!!! So exciting :)

• Like 2

Yeah, so this challenge...kinda didn't actually happen. 

1.  Stop eating like a jerk.  Nope.  Plus I was a lying liar who lied a lot and did not post it here.  I think that I actually did WORSE this challenge on the food.  And I am a bit afraid to get on the scale.  :apologetic:

Chunk-a-Mess-in-Action.gif

2.  Mobility Stuff.  Didn't accurately track it, but a C at best, probably a D.  :cower:

giphy%285%29.gif

3.  Lift.  Ahhh...some successes here!!!!  Starting and Finishing numbers, in pounds

Squat: nope, then 135, now back to 160.  Still not up to where I was before the butt-hurt, but so much better!!!:redface-new:

OHP: Then 95, now 100! 

Bench: Then 135, now 140.

DB Row: 60, 60.  Didn't train it much; it gets short shift a lot because the DB benches are in high demand. 

DL:Then 210, now 230.  I'm still tickled with that.

Image result for Goonies gadgets

LUYL:

I did read up on some new programming.  I tried to steer clear of broscience. 

tumblr_m5klkqbPs71r2piwc.png

or anything overly complicated:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11294-1377543717-4.

I am liking the idea of Wendler's 531, but am still looking at options.  Regardless, I think that SL may be becoming a tad too rough for me.  I am not sure if it is an excuse or not, but I am turning 40 this year, and squatting 3x per week with constant increases is a bit brutal some weeks - 5/3/1 is 4x per week, but one major lift + accessories each time.  Plus amraps sound fun!

So, it looks like I'm still:

Sloth-Goonies-Meme-29.gif

tumblr_mhr4crQttI1rq9nqbo1_500.gif

I may deserve it...

In true Goonies fashion, however, I am letting this one go, and am thinking how to improve the next time around. 

Image result for goonies wishing well

• Like 5

i hear ya on the food front my friend. it is so good. and i like to eat all of it. i have a few ideas jumbling around for next challenge though.

i do 531 :) it is seriously slow progress but i am limited in time at the gym so it's easier for me to get there 4-5x per week and only do ~40mins. it will feel so short for you compared to SL. i did a variation of big 6 awhile ago to push up the weight a bit which was nice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i hear ya on the food front my friend. it is so good. and i like to eat all of it. i have a few ideas jumbling around for next challenge though.

i do 531 :) it is seriously slow progress but i am limited in time at the gym so it's easier for me to get there 4-5x per week and only do ~40mins. it will feel so short for you compared to SL. i did a variation of big 6 awhile ago to push up the weight a bit which was nice!

Food.  I hate to love it so bad.

531 - the slow progress kind of appeals to me.  I kinda went gangbusters, but in all actuality probably *should* progress more slowly if I want to keep it up.  

• Like 1