• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonflies never say die

6 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Looks like that gym is coming along quickly!  How's your summer schedule looking?  Are you going to be at home to enjoy it?

Summer is looking lovely,  actually!   I have never taken the summer off - I've always worked.   It's looking like this one might be wide open!   

• Like 4

ATTENTION CREATIVE NERDS WHO LIKE TO RESEARCH STUFF

We are building a shed and have decided that a room in it will be a home gym.  The room will essentially be an unconditioned  space - and we live in a very humid area. 

I have talked the husband into making it "pretty", but cost becomes an issue...

I need something on the walls to cover up the insulation that doesn't cost a fortune and won't warp and sag after a few humid summers.  

Drywall & beadboard will likely warp. Tile is too expensive.   Exterior siding is a possibility,  if we can find something that I like - so far the pretty stuff is expensive.  

Any outside of the box ideas?  I will put the front running idea in a spoiler - we are in the planning stages, though; I am still interested in exploring other ideas.  Think pretty & cheap. 

Thoughts?

Laminate flooring, Lowe's brand, installed directly over the wall studs with finish nails & glue.  $.90 per Sq foot.  

• Like 1

If you've considered drywall, have you looked into cement board?  When you "drywall" a bathroom or kitchen, you typically use cement board.  3'x5'x1/4" probably runs 0.60-0.70/sqft, but you'd have to tape/plaster/paint over it.  It would probably cost about what your other idea would.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SevenofSeven said:

Laminated posters of Arnold in his heyday! :D

This is the best I can do... fraid I don't know much about construction materials!! Good luck tho, I hope we'll see photos of the project!! And awesome to have a home in mind for the home gym! Score!

• Like 2

On 5/21/2016 at 3:02 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

ATTENTION CREATIVE NERDS WHO LIKE TO RESEARCH STUFF

We are building a shed and have decided that a room in it will be a home gym.  The room will essentially be an unconditioned  space - and we live in a very humid area. 

I have talked the husband into making it "pretty", but cost becomes an issue...

I need something on the walls to cover up the insulation that doesn't cost a fortune and won't warp and sag after a few humid summers.  

Drywall & beadboard will likely warp. Tile is too expensive.   Exterior siding is a possibility,  if we can find something that I like - so far the pretty stuff is expensive.  

Any outside of the box ideas?  I will put the front running idea in a spoiler - we are in the planning stages, though; I am still interested in exploring other ideas.  Think pretty & cheap. 

Thoughts?

Reveal hidden contents

Laminate flooring, Lowe's brand, installed directly over the wall studs with finish nails & glue.  $.90 per Sq foot.  

Outdoor fabric might also work, but I don't think it would last longer than your front runner idea. I would probably just hang it from the ceiling rather than attaching it to the boards. However, it does come in much more color combo ideas and patterns than laminate. Also, I know nothing about construction, I just know I've seen some pretty heavy duty outdoor fabrics at the fabric store. 

Today.  In pounds.

Squats

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 115

5 x 5 at 140

Chest stayed mostly up.

OHP

1 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 65

1 x 5 at 85

5,4,3,4,3 at 100 - may be time to deload and work back up.

DEADLIFT

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 185

1 x 5 at 205

1 x 4 at 225

(Only 4 because I am super self conscious about the noise that I make and I felt like I was bypassing an R rating and heading straight to NC17.  It was loud and suggestive.  How do I curb that?!)  

Still.  DOUBLE PLATES, oh my!!!!!!!!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

How do I curb that?!

You could try to curb it, or you could embrace it! https://www.girlswhopowerlift.com/blogs/blog/163892039-whats-your-sound

It's taken me a looooooong time not to be embarrassed about the noise I make, but when I try to lift something that pushes the boundaries of my strength, I can't worry about that. So if it comes out now, it'll just have to come out, and people need to deal. But yeah, it's a journey for sure. Two plate DL ftw!!!

• Like 5

Like they said, grunt away. The only way to stop that is to either stick to light weights (boo) or to hold your breath during the lift (which has its own pros and cons. And will still generally result in a smaller grunt when you're done.)

As for the shed, green board drywall is just barely more expensive than regular drywall and holds up really well to humidity. Cement board is essentially waterproof, but considerably more expensive.

Plaster would also be a good choice if you can do it yourself. It would be really expensive to hire someone to do though.

Or you could put a dehumidifier in the room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evabo said:

You could try to curb it, or you could embrace it! https://www.girlswhopowerlift.com/blogs/blog/163892039-whats-your-sound

It's taken me a looooooong time not to be embarrassed about the noise I make, but when I try to lift something that pushes the boundaries of my strength, I can't worry about that. So if it comes out now, it'll just have to come out, and people need to deal. But yeah, it's a journey for sure. Two plate DL ftw!!!

Agreed, I'll gladly take loud gym noises for 1000 Alex, and willingly bypass deadlift farts for 400. 

tuT85ge.gif

• Like 6

Noise, smoise, have you not seen some of the deadlift set ups getting around. Instagram has opened up so many sides of hilarious with lift set ups! At least by the time you get to grunt you've done the work! Seems odd to grunt at the bar "before" picking that sucker up!

And yes sometimes when I squat I fart! :P

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Today.  In pounds.

Squats

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 115

5 x 5 at 140

Chest stayed mostly up.

OHP

1 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 65

1 x 5 at 85

5,4,3,4,3 at 100 - may be time to deload and work back up.

DEADLIFT

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 185

1 x 5 at 205

1 x 4 at 225

(Only 4 because I am super self conscious about the noise that I make and I felt like I was bypassing an R rating and heading straight to NC17.  It was loud and suggestive.  How do I curb that?!)  

YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2

• Like 1

On 5/24/2016 at 8:21 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

DEADLIFT

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 185

1 x 5 at 205

1 x 4 at 225

congrats!! like everyone else, i say grunt away. there are many guys in the weight area of my gym who make noises and one i can think of is super noisy on a consistent basis and the noises are SUPER suggestive. whatevs, get it!

• Like 1

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Grymm said:

If you've considered drywall, have you looked into cement board?  When you "drywall" a bathroom or kitchen, you typically use cement board.  3'x5'x1/4" probably runs 0.60-0.70/sqft, but you'd have to tape/plaster/paint over it.  It would probably cost about what your other idea would.

Considered,  too much work.  

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM, NatetheStrong said:

Like they said, grunt away. 

Plaster would also be a good choice if you can do it yourself. It would be really expensive to hire someone to do though.

Or you could put a dehumidifier in the room.

Grunted today.  :-)

I do not have the skills for plaster!  

Dehumidifier would need to run full time in the summer.  Don't want to spend the money.   

Will think about green board. Thanks. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the love, guys!  :adoration:

Today's session was good!  In pounds:

Squats

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 115

5 x 5 at 145

Chest up.  Ish.

Bench 5 x 5 at 135 what?   Plus some old dude offered to remove the 45s from the bar before I started and I was able to nonchalantly tell him to leave them, that I would be using them.  

@Br0din must have been smiling upon me today.  I approached the bench most humbly and was rewarded.  I hit my whole set.  I was proud.  And it was good.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

@Br0din must have been smiling upon me today.  I approached the bench most humbly and was rewarded.  I hit my whole set.  I was proud.  And it was good.  

:D:D:D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ORazor said:

This thread has PRs everywhere I look. Congrats on all the progress! 

Thanks!   I'm still in my linear beginner gainz.  I'm very pleased with my progress since November and SUPER glad that I stuck with the program even when I had early stalls and wanted to prematurely switch to something else.   It is slowing down for sure, though.  Adding new weight to bench and OHP every 2 weeks or so at this point.   DL is feeling like real hard work, too.  :adoration:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Thanks for all the love, guys!  :adoration:

Today's session was good!  In pounds:

Squats

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 115

5 x 5 at 145

Chest up.  Ish.

Bench 5 x 5 at 135 what?   Plus some old dude offered to remove the 45s from the bar before I started and I was able to nonchalantly tell him to leave them, that I would be using them.  

Yea, though he toiled mightily beneath the holy Iron of Brodin, the young bro was discouraged.

Sayeth the bro, "Lord Brodin, the Iron moves slowly, though I toil thus."

Brodin sayeth unto him, "Verily, the Iron moves not at all.

It is the Earth that moves, for you are swole of heart."

-Book of Flexidus, CH 4.  

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Br0din said:

Yea, though he toiled mightily beneath the holy Iron of Brodin, the young bro was discouraged.

-Book of Flexidus, CH 4.  

<3

(I feel like I should embroider this on something)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Br0din said:

-Book of Flexidus, CH 4.  

:applause:

I feel swole of heart!  

I hit my set, celebrated by exchanging a high five with my (acolyte) handsome spotter, and then immediately said, "oh crap, I have to add weight next time...I mean, oh crap I GET TO add weight next time!"

• Like 9