Peelout overcomes the side effects of NOS

peelout

So far this year, I have accomplished the following:

Current KH's

KH1-  Exercise daily -  Missed once twice since Dec 27, 2015
KH2 - Salad 6 days/wk - Missed three times since Dec 28, 2015
KH3 - Protein shake every morning - Never missed since Dec 28, 2015
KH4 - OE1 - Office efficiency 1 - Create daily to do list at work.  Missed twice since Jan 22, 2016
KH5 - M-less - Never missed since Jan 31, 2016
KH6 - NOS - NO Smoking, Never missed since Mar 11, 2016

2016 achievements:

1)  Counting the 3 KH's started in the last 3 days of 2015, I created 6 new habits, including NOS, in the last 4 months.

2)  Increased bench press strength from about 2-3 reps at 135lb to 10 reps at 135lb (although need improvement on form).  Also 145lb was my 1rm at start of year and have increased that to 175lb.

3) Got started w/ Dynasty training

2016 disappointments:

1)  Weight is too high.  Started year at 176, dropped to around 166, now currently around 174.

2)  Pullups are not where I'd hoped.  I can do 3-4 if I don't go all the way down, and the 4th is pretty sloppy.

3)  NOS has created some bad side effects.

May - a complicated month

May is going to be rather complicated challenge/schedule wise.  There is a 5 day vacation with family, prepping for daughter to move out :apologetic:, prepping for son to start college away in the fall :apologetic:, and a host of son and daughters HS and college graduating functions. Also, although I'm getting close to 2 months of NOS, it's still a struggle at times.  I don't want to get overwhelmed and create an environment of so much stress that I give in to smoking.

Disturbances in the force:

NOS has created some issues in my life which desperately need resolved.

1)  Web surfing too much at work to distract myself from thoughts of smoking.

2)  Wt has gone from 165 around the start of NOS (Mar 11) to 175lb today.  I've been eating more crap food, with an especially large amount at night.  Nicotene is an appetite suppressant and I can really tell the difference in my food cravings w/o it.

3)  I'm not getting many projects done at home.  This is partially due to NOS as I've been watching more TV than usual, especially right after I get home when I take a nap and watch some TV.

My challenge is on the next post.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I am a big believer in using Duhiggs habit formation process.  During this challenge, I intend to add three new Keystone Habits.  I would never suggest someone starting out using Duhiggs process try to develop 3 KH's (keystone habits) at a time, and even I am very nervous about trying to achieve this.  However, I've used the process 6 times now and have decided that despite the difficulty, I will be able to achieve 3 KH's simultaneously.

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

My weight has increased from 165lb to 175lb since I quit NOS on Mar 11.  I will get better control of my weight by:

1.  Log all food to the tiniest morsel.

2.  KH7 - No high sugar crap (soda, cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream) after 8pm 6 days/wk (w/ the exception of 2 jelly beans).

Rating - A or F

Quest 2 - Increase office efficiency

I spend way too much time web surfing at work, often as a way to distract myself from thoughts of smoking when my job gets boring.

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch.

Rating - A or F

Quest 3 - Get some home projects done

I'm in the habit of coming home from work and taking a short nap and/or watching TV instead of getting home projects and upkeep done.  NOS has increased the amount of time I do this as I feel "out of sorts" due to not smoking on the drive home from work.

1.  KH9 - Unless I am sick, no TV on weekdays before 6pm.

2.  Create a list of projects and accumulate 10 project points by end of challenge at the rate of 1pt for every 30min of working on projects. Lawn mowing and normal daily chores related to garbage, dinner, dishes, etc does not count.

Rating - A for 10pts or more, F for 0-9.

Quest 4 - Improve my energy level.

1. I've been continually increasing the intensity of my w/o's  and working out 6-7 days/wk.  I'm starting to feel a bit lethargic so I want to level out for a while.  Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  

2. I've been getting around 6hrs sleep lately which is not sufficient for me.  Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  

Rating - none

Shit starts tomorrow.  Shit gonna get done.

Current Challenge 

Using my allowable 15min web surfing at work (NF is part of that).

I created my cues for the 3 new KH's.  These cues are signs I made.  One is on my office wall for not web surfing.  One will be on my cars passenger seat.  It will serve to remind me on my way home at 3pm that I am no longer watching TV when I get home.  One is near my shower.  Since I shower before I sit down for the night to relax, I will see the sign.  It will remind me that I may only have crap 1 time/wk now.  These signs will stay up until the habits are embedded.  Generally at least 30 days.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Well, I'm home and facing my first challenge my new "No TV b4 6pm" on work days.  It's not easy changing an embedded habit.  My mind is used to cue - entering house after work, routine - plot on couch, veg for about 1.5hrs watching TV including a partial nap and/or eating, reward - rest and giving my brain a break.  My brain is whining that "its tired and deserves a break".

New process:

Cue - Sheet of paper on passenger seat showing my entire cue/routine/reward process in bright colors w/ applicable pictures reminding me of the new routine,

Routine - Find something else to do besides watch TV, preferably a small project I can work on for about an hour.

Reward - Eventually I will get caught up w/ projects and have the reward of decreasing the stress that comes from having a lot of projects hanging over your head.  In addition, my wife will be happier and a happy wife is always less stressful than an annoyed wife.

May reevaluate how I wrote the KH.  At times, I eat alone and if I do, I might want to watch TV while I do.  But for now, I'm sticking to no TV b4 6pm.

Well, now I'm going outside to attempt to replace a faucet head outside the house.  But first, my wife gave me some jobs to do to help prepare for my sons HS graduation party Friday night.

Edit:  Finished installing the faucet head.  So the job I've been putting off for 3weeks took about 40min.  Now its done, and wife will be much happier because now she doesn't have to drag the long hose on the back of the house faucet around to the side to wash her car.  

I deserve a cigarette for getting that job done.  At least thats what my brain tries to tell me.  I think its day 54 of NOS.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

My weight has increased from 165lb to 175lb since I quit NOS on Mar 11.  I will get better control of my weight by:

1.  Log all food to the tiniest morsel.  Keep KH7 - No high sugar crap after 8pm 6 days/wk.

Snacks after 8pm last night - Starting log today

Breakfast - protein shake

Lunch - McD's

Dinner - Quiche

Snacks b4 8pm today - 1 soda

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch. Done

I'm in the habit of coming home from work and taking a short nap and/or watching TV instead of getting home projects and upkeep done.  NOS has increased the amount of time I do this as I feel "out of sorts" due to not smoking on the drive home from work.

1.  KH9 - Unless I am sick, no TV on weekdays before 6pm.  Changing to no TV prior to dinner.  See explanation in notes.

2.  Create a list of projects and accumulate 10 project points by end of challenge at the rate of 1pt for every 30min of working on projects.  Changing to "Complete at least 10 projects and spend more than 300min on projects". 

Today - Install new outdoor faucet  30min

Total projects done - 1

Total project time - 30min

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Chest/tricep w/o tonight.

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night - Just started so have to wait until tomorrow for this one.

Notes:  Not watching TV when I got home was tough.  That has become quite embedded and my mind was saying "what the F are we going to do if we don't take a nap and watch TV".  So I replaced a faucet outside which took about 30min.  Felt good to get that done.  Decided to change the KH from no TV before 6pm to no TV before dinner.  Due to conflicting schedules, I often eat dinner alone.  I'm not being less productive if I watch TV while I eat, therefore the change.  The main point was to get into the habit of doing something productive when I get home from work and I think this will still accomplish that.

Today was a day off salad (only need 6/wk for KH 2).  Salad does not go well w/ quiche.  Not planning on crap tonight.  Probably have apple and PB or some nuts.  I realize PB is not overly healthy, but compared to a bowl of ice cream or a bunch of cookies, it doesn't fit my definition of crap.

Have to make sure I get to bed by 10pm tonight.  If I set alarm to 4:45am, I will get 6.75hrs sleep which will meet my target.

Had a good chest/tricep w/o.  I'm getting close to my goal of 10 perfect bench presses w/ 135lb.  Right now, reps 8-10 have a little hesitation at the top before lowering.   My 1rm is now 175lb.  I'm trying hard to to be able to add 10lbs more so I can have 2 - 45's and 2 - 25's.  

I think this is going to be a great challenge. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

I'm really liking your no tv goal! I'm going to be borrowing it at some point. PB is pretty healthy, even if it's the stuff with sugar in it. I was actually surprised at how much I like natural PB with no sugar though. Particularly if I'm dipping apples in it or something like that. Great job with your bench presses!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

2 hours ago, Blonde-E said:

Here for some habit changing too. 

You might want to check out my battle log.  It spends a lot of time actually talking about habit formation.  Glad to have you visit.

12 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Nice work on the no TV. I'm always fascinated when I find that I've spent much more time and effort to put off something than simply doing it. I'm better than I used to be about it but still far from always just doing rather than not.

I'm looking forward to actually getting caught up and then staying caught up w/ small jobs around the house.  I think this will be a great improvement in my productivity.

4 hours ago, Leimanu said:

I'm pretty interested in this strategy for habit changing - following along!

Good luck with the TV thing.  Wooo, that's a tough one.  The brain does like a little break after work.

It will be tough, but the brain is programmable.  But it must be convinced that you mean business and that there is no other option.  If it detects a hint that you are less than 100% committed to a change, it will find a way to get you to fail.  And it is very forgetful.  In needs reminders that a change is ongoing, and that is where the cue comes in.  I added a little something to Duhiggs process, and that is what I think of as a temporary cue.  Like right now, there is a sheet of paper on my cars front passenger seat.  It is described about 7 comments up.  When I get in my car and see that, outloud, I read the process I have put on it.  And when I get home, its the last thing I look at when I get out of the car.  I have reminded the brain that I will not be watching TV b4 dinner, and already planned some possible projects to fill in the time.  Eventually, in about a month, I will no longer need the paper and will throw it away.  Just driving home from work will be the cue.  But for now, my brain needs constant reminding.  

11 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

I'm really liking your no tv goal! I'm going to be borrowing it at some point. PB is pretty healthy, even if it's the stuff with sugar in it. I was actually surprised at how much I like natural PB with no sugar though. Particularly if I'm dipping apples in it or something like that. Great job with your bench presses!

I've never tried natural PB.  It looks weird.  I might eat it, but my family wouldn't and so it would go to waste.  Do you have to refridgerate it?

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

Start 175.6lb.  This morning 175.0

1.  Log all food to the tiniest morsel.  Keep KH7 - No high sugar crap after 8pm 6 days/wk.

Snacks after 8pm last night - apple w/ PB

Breakfast - protein shake

Lunch - McD's yes, I eat at McD's most workdays for lunch.  Eventually, this will go as well.

Dinner - Quiche again, small salad

Snacks b4 8pm today - 1 soda.  2 choc Hershey kiss.  Passed on donuts this morning at work.  Unless the donuts are very special, I have no difficulty passing on them.

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch. Done, very painful.

1.  KH9 - Unless I am sick, no TV prior to dinner on weekdays. Done.

2.  Complete at least 10 projects and spend more than 300min on projects. 

Today - Prep for sons graduation party after work 3hrs, but I'm not counting that as project time

Total projects done during challenge - 1

Total project time during challenge - 30min

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Core/flexibility today.

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night - 6-3/4hrs.  However, first the first time in ages, I did not sleep well.  I was upset w/ my wife b4 I went to bed and I think that kept me up.

Notes:  Had some big triggers.  We are members of a private club that basically has a lake and clubhouse.  Only $125/yr.  I am a member only because it is nearby and I practice kayak rolls and paddling on it a lot.  Anyway, we are having my sons grad party there tomorrow and were prepping.  This was definitely a smoking trigger as I had not been there since last year.  As I've mentioned, after kayaking I always want to smoke, so just driving out to the lake to decorate the clubhouse was a big trigger for me.  I could feel the urge as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.  Having an understanding of why the urge is happening is very helpful.

Cutting out the web surfing at work will be the hardest of the 3 new KH's.  I have to catch myself many times b4 I click to get more info on the idiotic choices I have will be having to lead my country.  It's like deciding which is the best turd in a giant cess pool.

Core w/o tonight.  Dam those captains chair straight leg lifts are a killer (needs to be a shorter name for that, something catchy).  I'm getting able to lift them higher, and just trying to slow the decent rate.  Not even close to being able to hold them for any length of time (curse you Hazard).

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

You're doing great so far! Pretty soon you'll be out of things you haven't done since NOS so that should make things easier. I try not to do anything but check my email and get on NF in the morning while I drink my coffee, but it seems like there is always some email I end up clicking on and falling down the rabbit hole. So good luck with that KH!

• Like 1

Battle Log

May 6

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

Start 175.6lb.  This morning 174.6.0

Snacks after 8pm last night - apple w/ PB

Lunch - McD's yes again

Dinner - salad

Snacks b4 8pm today - 1 soda.  

Writing this at 2:35pm.  Probably have to edit later.

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch. Failure.  At least 30min.  Have to focus.  Failure in the first 2 wks usually signifies total failure.  

1.  KH9 - Unless I am sick, no TV prior to dinner on weekdays. Done.

Today - Sons grad party 4-7 so no projects possible today.

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Back/bicep today.

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night - 6-1/4hrs.  Not sufficient.  Failure.

Notes:  Sons grad party (yeah, validictorian, must have had a smart postman) from 3-7 then clean up the hall we rented.  Might not have time later so go on here early.

Failure on KH8.  I did 30min of web today.  There is no option for coming close or excuses allowed in the first 30days.  Failure in that period is extremely dangerous.  I'm concerned that I should not have done 3 KH's at once.  But I will continue w/ them.  The first 30days is pure will power when the brain is being trained and reminded of the new habit.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

My motivational self-talk for the day:

Get off your azz and get shit done.

I should start writing motivational books.

Dr. Peel.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Hmmm. Maybe motivational pamphlets. [emoji6]

Good luck on KH8. You could always decide you've changed too much at once and shelve that one till the next challenge (or the next). You knew 3 new ones at once was a bit much, so it might make more sense to focus on the others instead of stretching yourself so thin that you end up having trouble with all of them. That's just my take on it as a fellow habit changer, but you know yourself better than I do.

Battle Log

May 7

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

Start 175.6lb.  This morning 173.4.0

Snacks after 8pm last night - nothing

Lunch - quiche

Dinner - salad

Snacks b4 8pm today - 2 soda + popcorn

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch. Non-work day.  

1.  KH9 - Unless I am sick, no TV prior to dinner on weekdays. Non-weekday.

Today - Mowed grass, but that does not count as a project.

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Kayak practice on a lake.

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night -  8hrs, slept in late

Notes:  Day 56 of NOS.  Had some really strong urges today.  Hate that.

Took my kayak to a local lake for some roll practice and a little paddling.  It was nice being able to just slide into my Outback instead of hooking up the trailer like I always had to do with my Buick Lesabre.  Of course, it's costing me about $490/month for that priveledge.  Never had a car payment before and I must say I'm not fond of it.  Meant to go to gym and do core w/o as well, then remembered I'm trying to dial the workout intensities down just a notch so I can increase the energy level.  

Got sons valedictorian breakfast and graduation party out of the way.  Tomorrow is the Baccalaureat service.  Sometime next week is the actual graduation.  It's getting a little ridiculous how many events it takes to graduate.

I'm giving Athena's suggestion to put the internet KH off at least for a month.  I think I knew in my head 3 was to many, especially since I've preached so much about how it has to be kept simple for it to work.  I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Next weekend is daughters college graduation.  Not sure if wife has a party planned for that.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

On 5/6/2016 at 9:58 PM, peelout said:

Not even close to being able to hold them for any length of time (curse you Hazard)

If you want to start static training on them, begin with 90-degree bent knees.   Tuck-Sit.   It decreases the amount of leg weight you work against, making it a good starting place for the static hold.  As your Tuck Sit strength increases (expressed by time-held), you can increase the challenge by extending one leg.  If you can hold that for whatever goal time, then progress to extending both legs.

Step-by-step progressions are the key.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

If you want to start static training on them, begin with 90-degree bent knees.   Tuck-Sit.   It decreases the amount of leg weight you work against, making it a good starting place for the static hold.  As your Tuck Sit strength increases (expressed by time-held), you can increase the challenge by extending one leg.  If you can hold that for whatever goal time, then progress to extending both legs.

Step-by-step progressions are the key.

Ok, 90deg holds it is, and progression from there.

I now have 4 things I want to be able to do that define "fit" for me (at 55 w/ my build):

• 10 perfect form bench reps with 135.  (I'm pretty much there now, just slightly faster reps than I want and a slight hesitation at the top on reps 9-10)
  • 4 perfect form full lower pullups (I can do 1-2 w/ fair form + another 2 w/ sloppy form)
  • Jog continuously for 6 city blocks (not a big goal for most, but I have hated running since I was born and I am currently probably at 1 block)
  • 5 sec hold on straight leg lift

If I can do all of those, I think I will be in better overall condition than 95% of other 55 year olds.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

May 8

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

Start 175.6lb.  This morning 173.0

Snacks after 8pm last night - toast w/ PB and honey + breadfast roll (my allowed 1*/wk after 8 crap indulgence)

Lunch - cinnamon roll w/ family for mothers day

Dinner - pizza.  Thats a second missed salad within 7 days.  Have to add that to my KH list as a missed date.

Snacks b4 8pm today - 1 soda, 1 cookie

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch.   Cancelled.  Should not have attempted 3 at once.  Not enough focus.

1.  KH8 - Unless I am sick, no TV prior to dinner on weekdays. Non-weekday.  Changed KH # to 8 from 9.

Today -  Organized in home office for 15min.

Total projects done during challenge - 2

Total project time during challenge - 45min

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Pretty awesome chest/tricep w/o.  Attempted bench of 185 but fell short.  Stuck at 175.

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night -  7hrs, slept in late

Notes:  Day 57 of NOS.  

As mentioned above, I am going to the progression Hazard recommended in an attempt to build time on a static leg raise.

Dropped KH8 (<15min web surfing at work).  Still going to cut back, but 3 is too many KH's to be working on at once. Can not fully focus and program the brain on that many different new KH's.  

Current Challenge 

24 minutes ago, AthenaMM said:

Keeping track of your eating seems to be working! I'm also going to be trying Hazard's progression since I discovered in the last mini challenge that I couldn't hold an L sit for even 1 second. Congrats on an awesome workout!

It makes sense.  If we want to bench xxx wt.  we don't start at xxx, we start lower and work up.  So if I want hold leg lifts, I shouldn't be trying to do what I can't do (which is hold them), I should try something less difficult and work up.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

May 9

Quest 1 - Lose 4 lbs.

Start 175.6lb.  This morning Forgot to weigh

Snacks after 8pm last night - none, but I did have a popcorn and soda at movie b4 8 but after logging

Lunch - McD's

Dinner - salad, 2 small slices thin pizza

Snacks b4 8pm today - 1 soda

1.  KH8 - No more than 15min web surfing at work outside of lunch.   Cancelled.  Should not have attempted 3 at once.  Not enough focus.

1.  KH8 - Unless I am sick, no TV prior to dinner on weekdays. .

Today -  Organized in home office for 5min and signed up for subaru web site so I could set up autopay for 15min..

Total projects done during challenge - 3

Total project time during challenge - 60min

1. Track w/o's and pullback on intensity slightly.  Core/flexibility.  Used Hazards suggestion for leg lift progression

2. Track hours slept and attempt to get 6.5-7hrs during the week and 8 on weekends.  Sleep last night -  6 3/4 hrs

Notes:  Day 58 of NOS.  Was having a hard time today for some reason.  Went to whyquit.com.  The had a section called the one puff files.  Posts from people describing how after anywhere from 2 months to 10 years, they decided to try just one and were quickly back to there old amount of smoking.  Even after many years a single puff will trigger a smokers brain to start craving like its day one again.  So many posts explaining how stupid they felt for thinking they could have 1 and not get fully hooked again.  The fact that the addiction is still calling out after long periods of time should be a warning, but the junky mind kind of blots that out.

Image result for fast and furious nos pictures

I started on the leg lift progression tonight.  I don't do any other exercise that is as painful as forarm leg lifts.  What a wonderfully awful feeling.

Tracking projects done during the week prior to watching TV:

1)  Installed outdoor faucet - 30min

2)  Organized in office - 15min

3)  Organized some more in office and got signed up for autopayment for the car loan - 20min

• Like 1

Current Challenge